NCL is going to Cuba!

LMKakaThing2

There was no war in Cuba.

The roads are, in many areas, the equal or better than many in the US.

Many new restaurants, privately owned (Paladars) throughout Cuba.

You may be surprised. We definitely were.

No war and everything looks nice on this workers paradise island until you dare to express your dissent against the Castro government. May be then you will discover the biggest surprise of your life about the real Cuba.

No war and everything looks nice on this workers paradise island until you dare to express your dissent against the Castro government. May be then you will discover the biggest surprise of your life about the real Cuba.

So true.... This video of the Fathom in Cuba from our local Tampa ABC station proves it. Should be required viewing before someone books a cruise to Cuba.

Edited by coaster

Don't be fooled. As many Paladars are failing as there are new licenses granted. The heavy taxes and fees along with officious inspectors leaves no room for profit and they are failing.

The roads you speak of were built with labor from Fidel's and Raul's political prisons.

I read an article today about how the common Cuban cannot get the usual food items such as green peppers, garlic, onion, tomatoes. The reason is that the best stuff goes to the paladars for the tourists to feast on.

The price that the paladars pay for the produce is much more than what the average person/store can afford to purchase so the people go without.

Maybe this will change with Fidel gone, and maybe as private businesses are allowed to flourish. While it would not necessarily stop me from visiting Cuba, it is something to think about and I would hope to do something to "offset" my consumption in some way (donations, etc)

Edited by Arwen

I hope he makes some major changes/adjustments. I anticipate Rubio having some influence/input. Hopefully, the result will be beneficial to the Cuban people. The way it stands now, there is zero.

I don't think there will be much change (within Cuba) when Raul dies; the government corruption runs deep.

I can't imagine anything that would entice me to visit Cuba. I just can't support the government and that is who would get my money via cruise fare, excursions, shopping and the like.

All the recent changes regarding Cuba were done by Presidential Order, so when President Elect Trump takes office he can immediately reverse them.

I hope he makes some major changes/adjustments. I anticipate Rubio having some influence/input. Hopefully, the result will be beneficial to the Cuban people. The way it stands now, there is zero.

I don't think there will be much change (within Cuba) when Raul dies; the government corruption runs deep.

I can't imagine anything that would entice me to visit Cuba. I just can't support the government and that is who would get my money via cruise fare, excursions, shopping and the like.

When Raul dies the embargo will be lifted. With no embargo things will change down there. Don't get trampled in the stampede into Cuba.

No way would we do a 4-day cruise to a place where you can't get off the ship without a pre-approved excursion booked. There are many more Caribbean 7-day options to destinations more interesting to us than Cuba. But, to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was thinking the exact same thing. I thought cruises changed ports due to bad weather, or whatever the captain needs to do to keep the ship safe. This changing of Sky from one place to another, with only a 5 month notice (supposedly NCL will announce the itinerary changes on Dec. 20th?), just seems so unfair to the passengers that already booked.

Even though someone mentioned that they can do this because it's still several months out, and you can just re-book.... well, what about people that already put in for their vacation at work, or already booked a flight?

What if they don't want to pay for an excursion just to be able to get off the ship in Cuba? What if they preferred to go to the Bahamas, or a private island? Did I read where someone said that it's only 90 miles difference? That's like saying "Well instead of going to St. Thomas tomorrow, we're going to go to St. Maarten." It's absolutely crazy.

When a cruise line changes the itinerary to a place that forces you to have to pay to get off the ship, then it's time to find another cruise line.

Did I read where someone said that it's only 90 miles difference?

I don't know if you read that somewhere, but it wasn't anywhere in this thread.
When a cruise line changes the itinerary to a place that forces you to have to pay to get off the ship, then it's time to find another cruise line.
So far there is no indication that they will force you to pay to get off the ship (i.e. by purchasing one of their excursions). But they may actually make you pay to get on the ship. Passengers who are booked on affected cruises on Oceania have been told that they will be charged an additional $125 per person for the changed itinerary (supposedly to cover the entry visa and Cuba-approved health insurance). That's whether you get off the ship or not in Cuba.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I thought cruises changed ports due to bad weather, or whatever the captain needs to do to keep the ship safe. This changing of Sky from one place to another, with only a 5 month notice (supposedly NCL will announce the itinerary changes on Dec. 20th?), just seems so unfair to the passengers that already booked.

Even though someone mentioned that they can do this because it's still several months out, and you can just re-book.... well, what about people that already put in for their vacation at work, or already booked a flight?

What if they don't want to pay for an excursion just to be able to get off the ship in Cuba? What if they preferred to go to the Bahamas, or a private island? Did I read where someone said that it's only 90 miles difference? That's like saying "Well instead of going to St. Thomas tomorrow, we're going to go to St. Maarten." It's absolutely crazy.

90 miles is the distance from Miami to Cuba. If you read the contract, they can change the itinerary how ever they choose to, no reason required. If you get the info before final payment, then cancelation costs you nothing. If you already bought non-refundable airline tickets then you have some choices to make, plenty else going on in Miami.

90 miles is the distance from Miami to Cuba. If you read the contract, they can change the itinerary how ever they choose to, no reason required. If you get the info before final payment, then cancelation costs you nothing. If you already bought non-refundable airline tickets then you have some choices to make, plenty else going on in Miami.

I thought it was 90 miles from Key West.:confused:

Regardless of what's going to happen after the POTUS inauguration, or not - NCL is onto something with all 3 divisions / lines sailing Cuba ??

CCL pulling the plug as they are having issues with their 700 pax dedicated Fathom ship doing 7 days - for $199 p/p plus "incentives" to sail. American Airlines reducing their capacity into Cuba next year by 25% as well.

The Sun has about 1,000 cabins for a double occupancy of 2,000 up to a max. ceiling of 2,400 pax - going to be interesting next Spring in watching them fill up those staterooms & turn a profit.

Edited by mking8288

I just checked NCL's website for cruises leaving Miami on Norwegian Sky for May 1st thru June 2nd, and there is no itinerary that indicates the ship is going to Cuba.

If someone is already booked on that ship for a date during that time, could the cruise line change their itinerary to go to a port that wasn't on the itinerary?

It appears to read that in order for you to get off the ship there, you would need to take a shore excursion that would classify it to be okay with regulations.

Yes, Empress of the Seas changed itinerary for May. 1 day in Havana.

RCCL Empress of the Seas from Tampa went on sale yesterday for 4 sailings in May to Cuba, and the price has already increased and a 5th sailing was added.

I cannot wait until the 20th to see the prices for the Sky. Its a better ship in my opinion than the Empress. And I would love an overnight stay in Havana.

RCCL Empress of the Seas from Tampa went on sale yesterday for 4 sailings in May to Cuba, and the price has already increased and a 5th sailing was added.

I cannot wait until the 20th to see the prices for the Sky. Its a better ship in my opinion than the Empress. And I would love an overnight stay in Havana.

I agree. And the Sky will be doing overnights in Havana combined with Great Stirrup Cay.