Walked Talkie

ashnmar

Was thinking of taking walkie talkies on board?

That way can stay in touch with the group when we are at different ends of

the ship.

Has anyone done this?

Are they allowed on board?

What is the best type to buy?

We took one time and they really didn't work that well, so next time we took better ones. They worked fine but was a pain in the butt.... one person wouldn't bother taking, then we didn't know where they were, then one person put down and couldn't remember where they put it. So in the end, we didn't use, just used to make meeting times or sticky notes or magnets on cabin doors or ph messages on cabin phone,. This was just our experience. Hope this helps. :)

Edited by tassie cruiser

We took one time and they really didn't work that well, so next time we took better ones. They worked fine but was a pain in the butt.... one person wouldn't bother taking, then we didn't know where they were, then one person put down and couldn't remember where they put it. So in the end, we didn't use, just used to make meeting times or sticky notes or magnets on cabin doors or ph messages on cabin phone,. This was just our experience. Hope this helps. :)

Yep. Pretty much what we do, never seen anyone having real success with WalkieTalkie Talkies.

Don't!!!!

Sometimes I really miss a Like button...

I would also like to add: Please don't use them at all!

No problem if people just used them in the room (but why not use the phone then).

However, we find it quite annoying when they are used in public areas and everybody in a 30 ft radius can't help but overhear the private conversations.

Sometimes I feel like telling people that they really don't need the WT the way they shout into the thing. Whoever they are talking to can hear them all over

ship without it... :eek:

Edited by Miaminice

Walkie Talkies are a thing of the past. The cell phone is the newest annoyance! Passengers talk into them just as loud as they do any other communication device. :rolleyes:

I once heard a man out on his balcony going over all his finances with someone. I knew how much money this guy made, his account numbers, etc. I felt like leaning around the divider and giving him a thumbs up! :D

I've overheard many conversations over the years while people are using their cell phones in public. Some were sweet conversations, others were not. Some things that I wish I had never heard. :eek: Gross!

Use your cell or device to text, but please don't subject your fellow passenger to your loud conversations. ;)

We use Post Its or the house and stateroom phones to communicate, but basically just make plans ahead of time when everyone is together.

Just tell the others in your "group" where you'll be. They can tell you where they will be....and if you need to find them, you'll know where to look!

Most folks eat at least 1 or 2 meals together...and you can update on your plans then!

Its really not as hard as you're imagining to "keep up" with the others....there are relatively few public areas (compared to cabin hallways)...so it's easier than you think to find each other.

Edited by cb at sea

Yes, please don't bring them. About as annoying as you can get - although cell phones are getting close Get an internet package and text each other. Please think about your fellow passengers.

We've been cruising for 15 years and have never needed any type of communication device on board. If it's for kids just tell them when and where to be. Pretty simple.

Thanks for taking us into consideration.

We tried to use them but had limited success. for the most part we just used the "call" feature (with the volume turned down) as signal that we should all meet at a pre-arranged place.

But I agree with the other posters that some people have them on full blast and it's not very enjoyable to listen both sides of a conversation over a walkie talkie.

We have used them more on port days for when we split up at a shopping square etc.

Walkie Talkies for the most part need "line of sight" for best results. That is difficult on a ship with all of it's different shaped structures placed in and on top of the ship. Plus, the radio signals will not go through steel, and that is what a ship is almost entirely built of. You might see the crew using similar radios, but they are commercial grade, high quality devices. And even then they need signal repeaters throughout the ship for communications to be possible.

Don't waste your money or your time on walkie talkies. They don't work. And because they don't work, when people try to use them, they shout and repeat themselves and annoy everyone around them. Attempting to use walkie talkies will result in you and your companions becoming the most unpopular people on the ship in record time.

Edited by sloopsailor

We take ours on every cruise. Bought a really good set and just love em. We are respectful to the level of noise they emit, but no different than an annoying loud talker in my opinion LOL :D

I find them very useful. You never know until you try it yourself :)

We take ours on every cruise. Bought a really good set and just love em. We are respectful to the level of noise they emit, but no different than an annoying loud talker in my opinion LOL :D

I find them very useful. You never know until you try it yourself :)

Sad to see that you are OK with being yet another "annoying loud talker". :rolleyes:

I much prefer to not be one of those, so will never take a walkie talkie on a cruise, or even around other crowds. I prefer being courteous and avoid unsociable behavior. I don't do to others what I don't like having done to me.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Sad to see that you are OK with being yet another "annoying loud talker". :rolleyes:

I much prefer to not be one of those, so will never take a walkie talkie on a cruise, or even around other crowds. I prefer being courteous and avoid unsociable behavior. I don't do to others what I don't like having done to me.

I completely agree! I was raised in an era where courtesy and consideration for others was the norm. Unfortunately, respect for others is becoming as obsolete as public pay phones (remember those?). Now that I am in my senior citizen chapters of my life, I watch with sadness the "instant gratification" and "me first" mentality that is taking over. I miss those days when people actually cared about each other.

So count me in with the crowd who feels that yet another "annoying loud talker" is not a positive thing at all.

Walkie Talkies are a cruise DON'T. They are annoying to everyone around. "CAN YOU HEAR ME? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?" You will despised by your fellow cruises - save yourself and don't do it.

Sticky notes or a small white board on the cabin door solves all the problems.:D

I don't use them but to me there is little difference between them and those who use mobile phones or Skype around the ship.

I am much more offended by the amount of people who think it is ok to blow there nose in the spa and the vast majority of people I see who get in the pool without showering beforehand.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I don't use them but to me there is little difference between them and those who use mobile phones or Skype around the ship.

I am much more offended by the amount of people who think it is ok to blow there nose in the spa and the vast majority of people I see who get in the pool without showering beforehand.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Wish there was a "like" button.