chocolatier

chocolatier

We are traveling from Chicago USA to go on a Mediterranean Cruise in March. The cruise is 13 days. Are we crazy to consider using only carry on bags as our luggage for the trip?

No, you aren't crazy. But you have to be willing to use the laundry on the ship (either do it yourself or send it out) and you have to be willing to severely limit what you bring--and what you buy along the way. We have done it on a number of cruises and vacations now and planning to do it again for our upcoming trip (and only time will tell if we can manage it with winter weight clothing).

Neither of us are clotheshorses and what we bring we can wear to dinner as easily as touring. Here's our rough packing list: 4 bottoms and 5-6 tops each plus 3 sets of undies, socks, one pair of shoes (and wear the other). DH doesn't mind the cold as much as I do so he will get by with a sweater and a heavy zippered jacket. I'm more temperature sensitive and so I will have a vest and a sweater or two to layer with. DH will bring a bathing suit and a shirt to wear over it.

Harder for me than cutting back on clothing is cutting back on the electronics and the paraphernalia that goes with it--cords, batteries, powerpacks, etc. But, I'm learning to pack less and less each trip. (Oh and don't worry, there are plenty of outlets (US and Euro) as well as 4 USB ports in every cabin.

A bit more tricky in March as you will want to have some layers as the weather and temps can flucuate.

Good luck!

Becki

Cold weather does involve heavier clothes, but unlike the summer time, you usually do not perspire and clothes stay in better shape.

By the way, taking extra undies really does not take much room. Wife shoved some in her 2nd pair of shoes (we travel with two pair of shoes - one on and one in the suitcase.

We are traveling from Chicago USA to go on a Mediterranean Cruise in March. The cruise is 13 days. Are we crazy to consider using only carry on bags as our luggage for the trip?

I did it! We are packed and ready to go for 3 weeks in the western Med and southern Spain over New Years and into early January. There won't be much shopping on this trip; we have two carry-on suitcases and 2 "personal" items (LL Bean type-totes which will double as day bags--and I am thinking of repacking one of them into a smaller tote). Still, we have plenty of choices for outfits and a variety of weights for layers. The goal is to keep things manageable as we traverse the airports and board the planes. Having to bring overcoats on this trip will be the challenge--and I am sure I will be re-thinking which one all night long and until we actually walk out the door.

Hopefully, we will not have to gate-check any of our bags (last time we did, they lost them) but just in case, each of the carry-ons contains "his and hers" and all meds, electronics, liquids and other valuables are in the "personal" bags.

I did it! We are packed and ready to go for 3 weeks in the western Med and southern Spain over New Years and into early January. There won't be much shopping on this trip; we have two carry-on suitcases and 2 "personal" items (LL Bean type-totes which will double as day bags--and I am thinking of repacking one of them into a smaller tote). Still, we have plenty of choices for outfits and a variety of weights for layers. The goal is to keep things manageable as we traverse the airports and board the planes. Having to bring overcoats on this trip will be the challenge--and I am sure I will be re-thinking which one all night long and until we actually walk out the door.

Hopefully, we will not have to gate-check any of our bags (last time we did, they lost them) but just in case, each of the carry-ons contains "his and hers" and all meds, electronics, liquids and other valuables are in the "personal" bags.

They now have winter costs that fold up. Not expensive either

I have been reading this with astonishment. How big are these carry-ons? Do they really fit into the "measuring" cage at the airport?

We fill up one "carry-on" for one weekend stay in the UK, and have to put coats and sometimes shoes separately in the car. Admittedly the one case is for two of us, but,I really admire you for being ale to pack like you do!!!

Have a lovely cruise. We are going on our first Viking Ocean cruise in February, we will be taking two hold bags and one carry-on; and we are only going for one week :) J

I think I could fit most of myclothes in the largest allowable carry on, but the problem for me would be all of the extra liquids that would not fit in the quart bag that I now triple wrap ( in case something ever leaked)

that have to go in my suitcase. I found some incredibly flexible totally non leakable bottles on Amazon that I love.

Between my shampoo, hair conditioner, body lotion, etc would fill up the quart bag by themselves, but then what about my eye drops, cosmetics, Ocean drops, toothpaste, skin products etc, for the flight?

I think it could be done if you decided to be VERY low maintenance and use whatever is provided by the ship, but I like my certain .products.

I have been reading this with astonishment. How big are these carry-ons? Do they really fit into the "measuring" cage at the airport?

We fill up one "carry-on" for one weekend stay in the UK, and have to put coats and sometimes shoes separately in the car. Admittedly the one case is for two of us, but,I really admire you for being ale to pack like you do!!!

Have a lovely cruise. We are going on our first Viking Ocean cruise in February, we will be taking two hold bags and one carry-on; and we are only going for one week :) J

My kind of packer. :)

I can think of nothing worse than having to wash and wear the same clothes during a cruise. I take enough so I have a choice of clothes for day and evening, depending on the weather and I could not imagine wearing the same clothes to dinner that I have worn all day. I would never see inside a laundry either. I do not intend to spend any of my precious vacation time washing clothes. There is really nothing wrong with taking a case in the hold....and I do intend to do quite a bit of shopping! :D

Each to his own....but cruising with just a carry on bag is definitely not for me.

When there is no FREE laundry on the ship and we are trying to economize on packing.........I buy very cheap underwear for my husband (<$2/pair) and he tosses them...........cheaper than laundry service. I love having laundry done.......they return all folded so nicely and often times delivered in lovely boxes and tissue wrapped!!!!

I'm with you Jay23!

I am selecting clothes for my one week cruise on the Sea next weekend. There is no way I could consider travelling with just a carry on. My friend and I will need a suitcase with plenty of room for all of our shopping. LOL :D

See my signature for carry on only packing tips for a number of types of trips and weather.

Best advice is that every top needs to match every bottom. I am big on black/white/grey bottoms and black/white/any range of pink for tops, but that is what looks good on me. If you prefer greens/oranges/Browns, you might be better off with a khaki/brown/tan scheme for the bottoms.

Think about clothing which can serve a dual purpose. I like silk knit tops, they can be worn during the day with a scarf for a casual look, and at night with a statement necklace for an elegant look. I hand wash and hang dry, they are dry in a few hours. They are warm as an under layer and cool on their own. I try to avoid anything bulky--no cable knit or bulky sweaters, instead of a bunch of bulky jeans I might take one pair and other bottoms which take less volume.

I limit my shoes to two pair, and in warm weather also add a pair of very flat thong sandals with some bling on them to wear to dinner.

You will need a jacket for that cruise, I would probably take an anorak or lightweight barn/car/pea coat style, maybe with a zip out lining. Carry it on the plane, you can use it as a blanket or pillow in your flight. My husband uses a nylon shell "car coat" style with a zip out fleece lining which is water repellant and can take him from 60 down to the 20's. Stuff a scarf, gloves, and earmuffs or a hat into the pockets.

Also consider the toiletries. You probably don't need half the stuff you think you do. Put a mark on your shampoo bottle with a Sharpie to see how much you really use--and try to cut that amount in half--most people use way more than they need. I hoard sample sizes of my preferred brands and use those when traveling. I can go three weeks in my 3-1-1 bag. I use stick deodorant--that is a big space saver as it doesn't go into that bag. I have a travel hairbrush which folds up to about the size of a small flip phone. I don't bring a hair dryer.

We don't buy many souvenirs, and try to only buy items which are very small and easily packed.

My rolling bag is 20" floor to handle, my cross body is a medium Timbuktu classic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See my signature for carry on only packing tips for a number of types of trips and weather.

Best advice is that every top needs to match every bottom. I am big on black/white/grey bottoms and black/white/any range of pink for tops, but that is what looks good on me. If you prefer greens/oranges/Browns, you might be better off with a khaki/brown/tan scheme for the bottoms.

Think about clothing which can serve a dual purpose. I like silk knit tops, they can be worn during the day with a scarf for a casual look, and at night with a statement necklace for an elegant look. I hand wash and hang dry, they are dry in a few hours. They are warm as an under layer and cool on their own. I try to avoid anything bulky--no cable knit or bulky sweaters, instead of a bunch of bulky jeans I might take one pair and other bottoms which take less volume.

I limit my shoes to two pair, and in warm weather also add a pair of very flat thong sandals with some bling on them to wear to dinner.

You will need a jacket for that cruise, I would probably take an anorak or lightweight barn/car/pea coat style, maybe with a zip out lining. Carry it on the plane, you can use it as a blanket or pillow in your flight. My husband uses a nylon shell "car coat" style with a zip out fleece lining which is water repellant and can take him from 60 down to the 20's. Stuff a scarf, gloves, and earmuffs or a hat into the pockets.

Also consider the toiletries. You probably don't need half the stuff you think you do. Put a mark on your shampoo bottle with a Sharpie to see how much you really use--and try to cut that amount in half--most people use way more than they need. I hoard sample sizes of my preferred brands and use those when traveling. I can go three weeks in my 3-1-1 bag. I use stick deodorant--that is a big space saver as it doesn't go into that bag. I have a travel hairbrush which folds up to about the size of a small flip phone. I don't bring a hair dryer.

We don't buy many souvenirs, and try to only buy items which are very small and easily packed.

My rolling bag is 20" floor to handle, my cross body is a medium Timbuktu classic.

Thanks, great ideas. What about suits fir men for the speciality restaurants

My husband brings a navy blazer, Oxford shirt (he likes the Brooks Brothers wrinkle free, using a spritz of Wrinkle Release or hanging in the bathroom during a shower if needed), tie, and khakis. He wears the blazer onto the plane. If he will need that outfit more than a couple of times he usually brings a second tie for a change up. He has a pair of black shoes (I think they are Clarkes) which are comfortable enough to wear all day while walking around, and also just dressy enough to wear with this outfit.

My husband brings a navy blazer, Oxford shirt (he likes the Brooks Brothers wrinkle free, using a spritz of Wrinkle Release or hanging in the bathroom during a shower if needed), tie, and khakis. He wears the blazer onto the plane. If he will need that outfit more than a couple of times he usually brings a second tie for a change up. He has a pair of black shoes (I think they are Clarkes) which are comfortable enough to wear all day while walking around, and also just dressy enough to wear with this outfit.

Thanks,

We cruise often and I stopped even taking a sport coat a long time ago. No problems.

The carry on thing works, with one BIG exception. If you shop and/or need to bring back all those souvenirs to store in the back closet or attic, it will not work.

We cruise often and I stopped even taking a sport coat a long time ago. No problems.

The carry on thing works, with one BIG exception. If you shop and/or need to bring back all those souvenirs to store in the back closet or attic, it will not work.

This is not good information if you aren't aware of the ship and itinerary.

The way to get around the shopping is to bring along something like Tumi's Just In Case travel duffel. Then check your bag and carry on the duffel on the way home.

Although people do seem to dress up a bit more for the specialty restaurants, particularly Manfredi's, on our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise there were fewer men in sport coats than there were on our maiden voyage on the Viking Star. My husband wore a nice botton-down dress shirt with dress slacks (no tie) .

Becki

We used the ships laundry - it wasn't all that expensive and I am on vacation - i handwashed what we didn't want to send out.

We like to freshen up - including clothing for dinner after exploring all day - and we mix/match multiple times at night or during the day- but they are different outfits at night vs the day - that said, we each check a bag and carry on something small with our meds and iPad - it works for us.

I applaud those who carry on and it works for them.....but it isn't a goal for me. ☺