Penalty for changing cruise dates??

nissach

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

if you do not make final payment, there should be no fees to cancel

CAUTION: you provided the cancellation fee schedule for people booking in the United States directly with NCL. People booking in some non-US sites or with some TAs have cancellation fees regardless Of whether they have made final payment or not. The OP is from Canada and could have booked at different sites to get a better deal.

CAUTION: you provided the cancellation fee schedule for people booking in the United States directly with NCL. People booking in some non-US sites or with some TAs have cancellation fees regardless Of whether they have made final payment or not. The OP is from Canada and could have booked at different sites to get a better deal.

I did not book directly through NCL and will contact the original booking company(US site) about changing if we have to....was just wondering what NCL policy was in changing 229 days out.

I am hoping we won't have to, but it may be unavoidable.

I may need to change the date of a cruise that we booked. Still 229 days out...will there be a penalties/fees I will need to pay if I do need to change dates to an earlier sailing?

Changing a date is technically cancelling a cruise and booking a new cruise. Read the cruise cancellation policy to see if it applies to your situation.

I may need to change the date of a cruise that we booked. Still 229 days out...will there be a penalties/fees I will need to pay if I do need to change dates to an earlier sailing?

As long as you change prior to the final payment date on your current cruise you will not have any fees or penalties. It doesn't matter whether or not you have paid in full, it only matters if the deadline for final payment has been reached.

Technically you are canceling one cruise and then booking another one. Anything you had paid for the canceled cruise is refunded, except for insurance. When you book the new cruise any perks that you receive are based on what is available when you make the booking.

Edited by zqvol

If you are at all concerned, contact your travel agent. They do this all the time and should know the answers to any questions you might have. They can also tell you if they have any cancellation or change fees. Some TAs do.

It depends on how much on how much earlier the date of your new sailing is and when you make the change.

If you are staying on the same ship, booking the same meta category of cabin (Inside / Oceanview / Balcony / Mini-suite) and you are before final payment, the only thing that MAY change is the cruise price due to week to week fluctuations and the taxes/government fees if the same ship is visiting different ports.

You will keep the same booking number, keep the same perks (as they are tied to your original booking date, not the ship sail date) and it is not considered a cancel/rebook and there will be no fees or penalties from NCL to do this.

If you wait to do this change after final payment, say next May or June it's a totally different scenario .

It depends on how much on how much earlier the date of your new sailing is and when you make the change.

If you are staying on the same ship, booking the same meta category of cabin (Inside / Oceanview / Balcony / Mini-suite) and you are before final payment, the only thing that MAY change is the cruise price due to week to week fluctuations and the taxes/government fees if the same ship is visiting different ports.

You will keep the same booking number, keep the same perks (as they are tied to your original booking date, not the ship sail date) and it is not considered a cancel/rebook and there will be no fees or penalties from NCL to do this.

If you wait to do this change after final payment, say next May or June it's a totally different scenario .

The date of the new sailing is irrelevant, other than how it effects price. The only thing that matters is that OP make the changer prior to final payment date on the cruise they are currently booked on.

Changing a date, is ALWAYS considered a cancel and rebook. You get new booking numbers, new perks, even if there are no fees involved.

Based on the OP staying on the same ship and doing the date change a few weeks ahead or behind and based on before final payment...

The date of the new sailing is irrelevant, other than how it effects price. The only thing that matters is that OP make the changer prior to final payment date on the cruise they are currently booked on.

Changing a date, is ALWAYS considered a cancel and rebook

Totally Incorrect on an NCL cruise before final. You've probably been booking too many Carnival Early Savers lately and must be confused.

You get new booking numbers Wrong. You keep the same booking number with just a date change on the same ship, hence it's not a cancellation

new perks Wrong, The Perks stay the same if you are on the same ship with just a date change and are based on the booking date not the sailing date. The current Free At Sea promotions have a booking window of between December 1 2016 and January 16 2017 but no "sail by" ending window whatsoever. The OP keeps the same perks as when they originally booked.

Based on the OP staying on the same ship and doing the date change a few weeks ahead or behind and based on before final payment...

I don't know that you are correct on this. It seems very strange to me. Here's a hypothetical.

on 9/20/16 I book a cruise with NCL and am considering two dates

1. 1/20/18 - at $2,000 pp with bev package and gratuities

2. 2/20/18 - at $2,200 pp with bev package and gratuities

I pick 1/20/18 and pay $2,000 pp and get bev package and gratuities

on 1/10/17 I decide to switch dates: current pricing is

1. 1/20/18 - at $1,600 pp with bev package and dining (gratuities no longer offered)

2. 2/20/18 - at $1,800 pp with bev package and dining (gratuities no longer offered).

So, under your theory I still get my bev package and gratuities for the 2/20 date, but am I paying the old price or the new price? Clearly, I'm paying the new price, never heard of a theory of looking up old prices for booking changes. So if I'm paying the new prices, why exactly wouldn't I be subject to the new perks?? Perhaps part of the algorithm that lowered that price accounted for the fact that that gratuities were no longer offered.

Edited by sanger727

never heard of a theory of looking up old prices for booking changes.

It is different per market. Sadly this is exactly what they they do when booking in the UK any "upgrades/changes" use original rates and if not more than original booking a £35 fee per pax.

If it wasn't for the exchange rate tanking (changing freq), I would still be booking in the US.

It really sucks!

I don't know that you are correct on this. It seems very strange to me. Here's a hypothetical.

on 9/20/16 I book a cruise with NCL and am considering two dates

1. 1/20/18 - at $2,000 pp with bev package and gratuities

2. 2/20/18 - at $2,200 pp with bev package and gratuities

I pick 1/20/18 and pay $2,000 pp and get bev package and gratuities

on 1/10/17 I decide to switch dates: current pricing is

1. 1/20/18 - at $1,600 pp with bev package and dining (gratuities no longer offered)

2. 2/20/18 - at $1,800 pp with bev package and dining (gratuities no longer offered).

So, under your theory I still get my bev package and gratuities for the 2/20 date, but am I paying the old price or the new price? Clearly, I'm paying the new price, never heard of a theory of looking up old prices for booking changes. So if I'm paying the new prices, why exactly wouldn't I be subject to the new perks?? Perhaps part of the algorithm that lowered that price accounted for the fact that that gratuities were no longer offered.

He is incorrect, but that is OK, its like arguing with a fence post. Better to add him to the ignore list.