Currency for South Pacific cruise

skatergirl51

Haven't been ourselves to all of these. But in Australia you will need Australian dollars. Easy to get at an ATM.

For the islands, my guess would be that dollars would be welcome. But that's only a guess.

Others who've cruised through the area can give you better info.

But you could also google the various currencies and see what they say.

Mura

French Polynesia Franc, US Dollars & Australian Dollars.

Some places in Tahiti and SP Islands might take US Dollars or Euros, but not that great of an exchange.

If going to American Samoa they use the US dollar, I can't remember what they use in the other Samoa.

Fiji uses Australian money and New Caledonia uses Polynesia Franc.

Edited by ORV

French Polynesia Franc, US Dollars & Australian Dollars.

Some places in Tahiti and SP Islands might take US Dollars or Euros, but not that great of an exchange.

If going to American Samoa they use the US dollar, I can't remember what they use in the other Samoa.

We used U.S. Dollars or credit cards all over FP and Australia with no problem.

We used U.S. Dollars or credit cards all over FP and Australia with no problem.

Yes, so did we, but as I stated you won't get a good exchange for US dollars in FP and there are many small merchants/craftsmen that don't take credit cards.

Of course much of this you can get on the ship, for about 5% upcharge. ATM's are your friend in foreign countries for the best exchange rate.

What I was stating is what the currencies they use in those areas, not necessarily what they will take. I was in most of them in Feb and March of this year.

"The other Samoa" is actually known as "Samoa" - or officially "The Independent State of Samoa" though it used to be called "Western Samoa". The currency in Samoa is the Tala (code WST). 1 USD is worth approx 2.5 WSD

Fiji uses Australian money and New Caledonia uses Polynesia Franc.

In Fiji, they actually use the Fijian dollar (code FJD). 1 USD is worth approx 2 FJD)

Orv is right.

I'm sorry but ORV is totally incorrect (and hence so are you). In Fiji the only offical currency is the Fijian dollar - not the Australian dollar.

Note: Like most tourist spots around the world, you will find that vendors may choose to take common currencies. However, that is what "you use" - not what "they use".

Yes, I am quite aware of what the currencies of the various islands use but being from Canada don't use American dollars. Just wondered if we need to get a variety of different currencies or just rely on ATM's and pay the service charge with each withdrawal:eek: I don't plan on using a credit card on these small islands as that would just cost the vendor an up charge.

I'm sorry but ORV is totally incorrect (and hence so are you). In Fiji the only offical currency is the Fijian dollar - not the Australian dollar.

Note: Like most tourist spots around the world, you will find that vendors may choose to take common currencies. However, that is what "you use" - not what "they use".

Thanks for the correction,although not totally wrong, just about Fiji. I was going by what the tour company we used Requested to be paid in, not what we asked to use.

Having been to all the islands and countries mentioned, it is not necessary to get currency for each. The US dollar is accepted. In tahiti, many vendors prefered the dollar and when I tried to use Tahiti SPF's they asked "dont you have any dollars?" Unless your staying in Tahiti for an extended period there is no need. Credit cards are the way to go... if you must get cash bring euros or dollars

Seriously, if you get the local currency you are going to get stuck with a ton of coins that no one will convert. You can get cash if you want in Australia when you arrive at an ATM

However, I have used credit cards all across the pacific with great frequency and success. Be warned however that the Australians tack on 2-3% on credit card purchase but since the US dollar is so strong it means little. Cabs take credit cards, There is no tipping so no need there!

For any large purchase ( over$25.00) I always use a credit card even in Farfakava and Rangaroa

As to how much you would need..very little is for sale Fiji, Nuka Hiva, have native markets for crafts... Other than that there just is not that much to buy... Tahiti with its honkey tonk PPT shopping street is the worst rip off in the pacific other than Lahina and Honolulu.

So no need to bring any your cab to the ship in Tahiti, as mentioned wants US Dollars. Wait and see when you get there its no big deal and not much to buy or spend on

We will be on the BTB cruise leaving Tahiti -Australia Feb.4/17. Going to French Poly, Samoa, the Marquesas,Fiji, New Caledonia, Australia.

Can we get some advice as to how many currencies we need to have for this cruise?

Thanks!:)

Hi

Just a quick note on currencies required.

We use a cash card with monies loaded on it in various currencies(USD, EUR, AUD and others). When we get to larger town with ATM's just go to ATM and extract cash from this card. If we get USD from ATM we get 1 for 1 and no surcharge. We are not charge a surcharge for any currency we get off the card and exchange rate is reasonable. We never use credit cards due to interest charges.

Secondly, we always change some cash(usually USD) on board or in port as many places do not take credit cards or will only take certain ones.

Oceania quite often in many ports has an exchange person on board who exchanges to local currency and also takes back the currency and converts it back to USD. Not everywhere and yes, you might lose some on the exchange rate but what is a couple of dollars when seeing great areas of the world.

I would also correct a previous comment on Australia charging a surcharge on credit cards. We live here and only on rare occasions(taxis/cabs) is there a surcharge and many venues may charge a fee if you use an American Express or Diners Club Card. This is changing as we use M/C, Visa and Amex in Australia for everything and only a some places still charge a surcharge. There are service fees at restaurants and airlines charge a credit card fee(what don't they charge for).

I just love it when people say something about somewhere and it is not correct and they assume as it happens once then it is standard.

We have visited all the places you are to visit and there is really no issue if you have some cash to use and the cash card

as an example when we do say a 30 day cruise on Oceania we may use the credit off shore maybe 5 times. The rest is cash from cash card in each port. On our last cruise with Oceania we had to deal with some 15 currencies and it was not an issue.

I hope that helps as one does not need to over complicate the currency issue. Take a cash card with 2 currencies(USD and EUR) let the ATM convert and if no facility then take some cash ashore and convert. Yes, exchange rate may not be what you expect but you are seeing the world.

Always remember the exchange rate you see is normally a rate some 2-3 cents higher than what you will get and that is why there is a buy and sell.

Enjoy the cruise and the pacific islands.

Hi

Just a quick note on currencies required.

We use a cash card with monies loaded on it in various currencies(USD, EUR, AUD and others). When we get to larger town with ATM's just go to ATM and extract cash from this card. If we get USD from ATM we get 1 for 1 and no surcharge. We are not charge a surcharge for any currency we get off the card and exchange rate is reasonable. We never use credit cards due to interest charges.

Secondly, we always change some cash(usually USD) on board or in port as many places do not take credit cards or will only take certain ones.

Oceania quite often in many ports has an exchange person on board who exchanges to local currency and also takes back the currency and converts it back to USD. Not everywhere and yes, you might lose some on the exchange rate but what is a couple of dollars when seeing great areas of the world.

I would also correct a previous comment on Australia charging a surcharge on credit cards. We live here and only on rare occasions(taxis/cabs) is there a surcharge and many venues may charge a fee if you use an American Express or Diners Club Card. This is changing as we use M/C, Visa and Amex in Australia for everything and only a some places still charge a surcharge. There are service fees at restaurants and airlines charge a credit card fee(what don't they charge for).

I just love it when people say something about somewhere and it is not correct and they assume as it happens once then it is standard.

We have visited all the places you are to visit and there is really no issue if you have some cash to use and the cash card

as an example when we do say a 30 day cruise on Oceania we may use the credit off shore maybe 5 times. The rest is cash from cash card in each port. On our last cruise with Oceania we had to deal with some 15 currencies and it was not an issue.

I hope that helps as one does not need to over complicate the currency issue. Take a cash card with 2 currencies(USD and EUR) let the ATM convert and if no facility then take some cash ashore and convert. Yes, exchange rate may not be what you expect but you are seeing the world.

Always remember the exchange rate you see is normally a rate some 2-3 cents higher than what you will get and that is why there is a buy and sell.

Enjoy the cruise and the pacific islands.

Hotels, cabs, restaurants, airlines and many stores and car rental in Australia all have charged me 2 to 3% over the rate Tips...they call them service charges are put on your bill... so you can charge them as well.

I would never use a cash card...your paying the bank to give you your money back and no security.. Same with a debit card which only should be used at ATM's never for a direct purchase

Credit cards are insured, and give you a 30 to 45 day float/loan for free. There is no interest if you pay your bills off. Also with a credit card you get mileage credit, purchased insured and things like car rental.

The more local currency you you get the more you are going to get stuck with remember no one will give you a conversion back for coins only bills

With the Australian dollar at around 72-76 cents, I can imagine them giving you 1 to 1 exchange in US dollars ( thats 28 to 24%) If so I am sending them $$$$$$$$$ like now

Hi

As the original enquiry seemed to be a Canadian and they have similar systems to ours I was just making a suggestion. As indicated our cash card is guaranteed(just like a credit card), we have a fixed rate at the time) and most of my North American friends do not get the surcharge applied. There are surcharges applied for public holidays etc.

I was just trying to assist the person who started this board with some advice and the simplistic way of not worrying about currency's.

unfortunately, as is usual with you provide a negative response.

As an aside our AUD is 71c to USD which means you might get 69 if you are lucky.

We will be on the BTB cruise leaving Tahiti -Australia Feb.4/17. Going to French Poly, Samoa, the Marquesas,Fiji, New Caledonia, Australia.

Can we get some advice as to how many currencies we need to have for this cruise?

Thanks!:)

This was the first question on this post and my answer is except for Australia in FP and everywhere else we used U.S. Dollars or credit cards and everyone was very happy. Even in Australia it was mostly credit cards and a few dollars from the ATM. Should be no problems.

We've been going to FP for 35+ years and have never thought to use US$. Sometimes Euros are used by Euro folks as the Pacific French Franc (xpf) is based on the Euro. We now obtain xpf from ATMs without problem. Before we had to exchange travelers cheques at a bank in FP....costly and a pain. Our US bank no longer charges a foreign transaction fee so guess we're lucky.

Smaller vendors and roulottes do not accept credit cards nor has any taxi we've used.

If your cruise includes New Caledonia, xpf is used there as well.

Opinions are like noses: everyone has one and each is different. Papeete has beauty but one most definitely has to look for it. And be careful of your valuables as petty crime is on the rise....which is true most everywhere now I guess. It wasn't as prevalent in years passed.

Other parts of the island of Tahiti are quite lovely, especially Tahiti Iti.

Nuka Hiva, have native markets for crafts... Other than that there just is not that much to buy...

Nuku Hiva has beautiful wood carvings for sale. They have a traditional carving school. Smaller carved crafts and necklaces are available as well. Tahiti has excellent jewelry stores for South Pacific pearls, great quality, local and French designers. They also have high quality cosmetics made from coconut oil, vanilla and frangipani. The good skin products are for sale in drug/cosmetic stores. The cheaper stuff is in the central market. If the downtown store is still there: tropical prints for tablecloths, pareos and pillows! Moorea has a liquor store that also has dried fruit covered in dark chocolate. Their fruit juices are top notch.

Vaitape can update me. I haven't been back for a while.

As to petty crime, I have noticed that many Americans are not street savvy when it comes to avoiding pick pocketing. One example, in my neighborhood supermarkets I often see unsupervised open pocketbooks in shopping carts.

Edited by Floridiana

Have only been to French Polynesia, but last year we didn't take anything except for a small amount of USD. We got by easily. Of course, we mostly ate on the ship, and didn't buy much as we're not big shoppers. Often there wasn't much to buy. We visited Fakarava (very small), Rangiroa, Papeete, Bora Bora, Easter Island, Robinson Crusoe, and Pitcairn (not island itself, though).

I am bringing about $100 USD and nothing else... I will need $50 in xpf but can get that from an ATM when in Tahiti.... this is for 21 days.. all on credit cards.. I only patronize places that take them and have all the crafts and stuff I would ever want from past trips... But there is really not much to buy in my book. Pearls are a bad buy....go to Hong kong..way better

With an ATM and credit card, world wide its very very easy to get what you need or want when and IF you need it.... my past travels has resulted in pounds of useless coins from every place.... thats why its plastic on nothing.

I am bringing about $100 USD and nothing else... I will need $50 in xpf but can get that from an ATM when in Tahiti.... this is for 21 days.. all on credit cards.. I only patronize places that take them and have all the crafts and stuff I would ever want from past trips... But there is really not much to buy in my book. Pearls are a bad buy....go to Hong kong..way better

With an ATM and credit card, world wide its very very easy to get what you need or want when and IF you need it.... my past travels has resulted in pounds of useless coins from every place.... thats why its plastic on nothing.

Sounds about the way I remember our trip. Credit cards and ATM's are about all you need.

The point is, the OP is Canadian, not American, so may want to bypass USD if possible, since the exchange rate is horrible right now.

I also am Canadian, and when in FP always gets some XPF (francs) from an ATM. Ditto I would presume for all those other countries you'll be in--find an ATM, get small amounts as needed. I'll have to do that for the Cooks I guess next fall; I see they use the NZ$.

I live half the year in the US, so have ready access to USD, but not all Canadians do, or want to.

The point is, the OP is Canadian, not American, so may want to bypass USD if possible, since the exchange rate is horrible right now.

I also am Canadian, and when in FP always gets some XPF (francs) from an ATM. Ditto I would presume for all those other countries you'll be in--find an ATM, get small amounts as needed. I'll have to do that for the Cooks I guess next fall; I see they use the NZ$.

I live half the year in the US, so have ready access to USD, but not all Canadians do, or want to.

We were in the Cooks last year and it was straight NZ dollars so our money went a wee bit further. Try to get to Aitutaki as it is amazing!

Just want to ask one question....... if someone from Tahiti came to the U.S., would you accept their currency?

Would you? Quite a different story. The US dollar is a world currency accepted in many places all over the world. Don't think XPF falls into that bucket.

We were on a 32 day cruise from Sydney to Tahiti. Unless you are staying in Australia/New Zealand beforehand and French Polynesia after you will not need other currencies. Having said that, we purchased some Australian dollars and Polynesian francs before we left home at our bank (rates were very good) and then got some more from the ATM's in those countries. We did stay a week in Australia and French Polynesia. All of our tours were prepaid before we left home so no local currency was needed. We never used U.S. dollars.