Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

J...We got one for our son and daughter-in-law years ago (when they first came out). They have loved it since then. Our daughter-in-law was born in Nanjing and she loves to use it for rice. :)

JP... your meal looks yummy. I won't make a specific comment on your thighs though! :)

You have lovely thighs JP! :D

JP... your meal looks yummy. I won't make a specific comment on your thighs though! :)

Thank you, mysty! For a moment, I was worried that Jeff had hacked into that folder on my phone...:o:eek:

Evening All........delish delights looking good again....thighs and all 😋

Good looking new gadget Jeffers.....have never used a pressure cooker...rather scared that it may explode!

The garden project is finally finished and boy am l glad but very pleased.

Very sad to hear of the passing today of Cunard's retired but long serving Hotel Manager John Duffy who l was at sea with in the 70's. Such happenings bring back so many memories.

The offspring are in Cardiff tonight at a concert....which means Mother won't sleep until they're home safe.....personally think they're quite mad but guess it's part of getting old and forgetting that we did mad things once too!!

😊

Good Morning Coolers! This was the first two paragraphs in a Times editorial today.

It was good to see swift action taken against the Conservative MP Anne Marie Morris after she used the racist expression “n***er in the woodpile” at an event this week. Theresa May withdrew the Tory whip, rightly saying that “language like this has no place in politics or in today’s society”.

All the opprobrium heaped on Morris’s head is deserved — her use of the phrase reveals, at best, an anachronistic mindset. Most people accept that casual racism is not just offensive but deeply corrosive in society.

Today I find myself once again as a member of it seems a small and increasingly angry and bewildered minority that seems to be getting more marginilised and smaller each day. I'm talking about the group that is sick and tired of the Politically Ever-Correct thought Police who seem to pervade world in a sort of Salem'esk traveling type witch trial seeking out careless but unmalicious individuals who are simply sometimes thoughtless but are harmless..

A few days ago, an MP used an old and perhaps inappropriate cliched colloquialism rather thoughtlessly. It was clearly not used in any context where it might have been seen as intended to be racist or offended. It was simply someone speaking and not thinking as hard as they should about one word that has in a generation become so bad it cannot be even spelt out without substituing some letters with asterisks. The result of this thoughtless (at worst) error is that the person has been de-listed from her party, castigated execessively in public and in the future because of the internet, whenever her name is searched in the future, is almost certainly going to be remembered for this incident above all others.

So is making what was at worst a thoughtless error for which an instant and genuine grovelling apology was offered right to be corrected with such draconian punishment giving all others a piety signalling opportunity? It becomes a sort of mob fueled bandwagon which too many people jump on in order to publicly show how un-racist they are by giving the person who is already on the ground and receiving a good kicking from the mob a chance to elbow their way through and join in.

It seems to me that quickly apologising was more than enough and the issue should have then simply been dropped and forgotten. But this direction of making all of us have to think about everything and anything we might innocently or thoughlessly utter for fear of this type of sanction which is much more oppressive than the so called offence. And worst, isn't it more likely over time tostoke up and cause greater racism as thoughtless non-racists are punished publicly for wrongly being accused as being racists? Isn't the causual and unfair constant accusations of racism even more corrosive on society?

What do others think?

Jeff, l agree with you but we are outnumbered by the 'do gooders' human rights activists and other such agencies who jump on the bandwagon at every given opportunity....and Mrs May has to be seen to be politically correct if only to notch up another tick right now.

If one thinks back over the years at innocent phrases used such as...What a gay day....and the golliwogs on the jam jars which we used to as kids collect....it's all just going down hill fast and yes one now has to be very careful not to offend....without even genuinely intending to.

What annoys me is that is seems to be so one sided every time...nobody cuts any slack.

On a lighter note l have been busy this morning trying to turn my new small patio area in to something like the day of the triffids......still a way to go but it's giving me pleasure.....

Chicken and mushroom pie baking away for luncheon then another great Murray match to enjoy.......

Happy Day :)

Greeting Coolers!

Interesting start to the morning! I needed a couple shots of caffeine to give me the courage to wade into the murky swamp.

Could it be that failure to castigate or express “horror” at the transgression would make one subject to a judgement of complicity by others? Guilt by association? If one doesn’t condemn then one is also liable?

Does the “punishment” even fit the “crime”?

It seems we have become much more judgemental and intolerant of human failings. We seem to leap at the chance to throw the first stone and unfortunately we all live in glass houses. Not many of us are in line for sainthood.

That's my two cents worth J! Comes out a lot less than two cents against the British Pound or the USD.

Miss S. Your patio sounds magical! Enjoy!

Have a great day all!

Mysty....you have a way with such pleasing words....but always quite correct...😉

Jeffers...my pie offering is from the local farmers wife shop.....I've just slung in some mushy peas to accompany....four paws is on stand by! 😋

The issue is that too many people wish to become representatives of others and become their spokesperson by falsely claiming that they are offended on other people's behalf. Being offended by proxy. Sensible people are neither offended by dumb people who seek to cause offence. Sensible people cannot be offended by a bigot. You don't counter bigotry by shutting them up. You confront it.

I find it offensive when people claim to be offended by someone who intended no offence or by someone who should not seriously be listened too. Claiming to either be personally offended or claiming to be offended on behalf of someone else is simply a mechanism for shutting others up. I'd prefer to hear bigots voice their opinions because when they do, more people hearing them tend to become more sensible.

And we circle back to the dearth of critical thinking. Is any attempt made to discriminate between bigotry and a remark made without careful thought but with no malice aforethought? Perhaps not.

Good morning coolers.

Jeff, I totally agree with your concern over the world becoming excessively politically correct. If you have not yet had the opportunity to read President Trumps speech in Warsaw, I urge you to do so. Many of us believe that is the best speech the man has ever made and presents the best ideas for both America and the western world.

However, many liberal leftist organizations and the main steam media have labeled and degraded the speech as racist.

Political correctness is rapidly leading to the deterioration of social and political morals. In many of our universities "safe spaces" have been established to protect students from hearing any type of speech with which they do not agree. It is with much trepidation that I watch my granddaughter enter this community this fall.

And by the way, I'm sure you realize that the "racist expression" addressed in the editorial is constantly accepted in the vulgar language and music of the people to which is supposed to be so offensive.

Thanks Ernie,

I did as you suggested and read the transcript and I personally couldn't find anything in it that could be construed as racist.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/06/politics/trump-speech-poland-transcript/index.html

I did however feel the speech hung as a bad fit because it was so clearly not his own words. Effective speech writing has to convey the impression at least, that the words could have been originated by the person delivering the speech. In so doing the deliverer appears to either be saying something with sincerity or not. I mean no disrespect but the level of historical detail and general vocabulary and craft of the speech didn't sound of Trump.

Nevertheless I agree it was a good speech for Trump to have read to the Poles even if it will result in a hardening of Russian/Amercian relationships.

Greetings Coolers!

Interesting news relating to the Larsen C Ice Shelf in Antarctica. A one trillion tonne iceberg, measuring 5,800 square km, calved away from the Larsen C Ice Shelf in Antarctica sometime between July 10 and 12.

From the CBC news site:

"The iceberg is one of the largest recorded and its future progress is difficult to predict," said Adrian Luckman, professor at Swansea University and lead investigator of Project MIDAS, which has been monitoring the ice shelf for years.

"It may remain in one piece but is more likely to break into fragments. Some of the ice may remain in the area for decades, while parts of the iceberg may drift north into warmer waters," he added.

The ice will add to risks for ships now it has broken off. The peninsula is outside major trade routes but the main destination for cruise ships visiting from South America.

In 2009, more than 150 passengers and crew were evacuated after the MV Explorer sank after striking an iceberg off the Antarctic peninsula."

Here is the link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/giant-iceberg-breaks-off-antarctica-1.4200787

Have a great day all!

Morning Cooler Cruisers. I apologize for my absence. With all the rain here, our basement has had water coming in, and we have been dealing with that fun mess. Luckily, nothing seems to be ruined. Work has been a whirlwind up until today, where I only have 2 patients scheduled. So, some breathing time and cruise planning time.

I am looking for some Caribbean advice from my fellow cruisers. On our upcoming Wind consecutive cruise, we will be on St. Bart's twice. The first time is the hubby's birthday. We previously were not that impressed with St. Barts. We found the island busy, but not in an industrious way. We also found things to be terribly overpriced. I am looking for a tour we can plan that possibly gets us out on the water and won't break the bank. Silversea offers a sailing tour, but I am always leery of ship yours (and if you remember, we had such a disaster in Bequia on our last Silversea cruise). So... Any suggestions? We aren't really "lay by the beach people" not into shopping, and I guess as a last result, the 2nd day in St. Bart's we could always create our own "Sea Day" and remain on board.