Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Good Afternoon all ......

NYC memories ..... use to have to go regularly when working for the Corporation for meetings at White Plains so often snatched a few days in NY. Remember staning in Grand Central Station when a newsagent was robbed. Everyone just stood still until the bad boys left. I asked the person whether it was regular and he said you could almost set your watch by it. I also remember talking to a bus driver and he knew my village and told me when Eisenhower took a secret to visit American troops at Middle Wallop during WW2 and he stayed at our pub and drank all evening and no one in our village to this day seems to know about it. In the early visits I use to stay in Doral Park on Park Avenue. I have no idea how many times I visited but it seemed like every other or few weeks for a long time. Just for a two hour meeting. Happy days.

Lois, I've been to Barcelona loads of times and my advice is simple. Ignore anyone who says that there isn't a problem in Barcelona. There is and has been for a long time. It is mostly East-Europeans. But of course it is a lottery where you can do things to decrease your odds of being caught up . Basically forget all this bag stuff. Simply keep the minimum you need in deep pockets and not in bags. If you have a money belt it must be out of view otherwise you are simply saying"Hi guys I've got money and it's in this belt". Keep a photocopy of your passport with you and leave all your valuables in the hotel safe. Keep with you a single credit card and whatever walking cash you need.

Don't wear or carry any bag which might risk your safety. If they want your bag let them have it but make it a cheap bag and keep nothing in it of value. If you wear a cross shoulder thing in Barcelona they will simply cut it off and you don't want to be close to a guy on a bike with a knife slashing away at a strap, dragging you along the pavement or road, particularly if it is reinforced. A cross shoulder bag in Barcelona basically tells these people you have stuff of value worth taking. .

The best person I know of for specific visit stuff is JP. To be honest I'm not a fan of Barcelona and my advice would simply be to try the tapas bars ... but let JP and TA and others guide you.

M, thanks ... yes Helga is fine!

Have a nice day all.

Greetings Coolers! Overcast but no rain yet!

Miss S....it seems we experienced much the same "shock and awe" in NYC! :) Enjoy your delicious lunch!

Lois...I have not been to Barcelona except to board for a cruise. No experience there. I wore a Neck Wallet under my top for some of the dodgier places we have visited on cruises and it has worked for me. I did not carry cash. Just the ship card and a copy of my passport. The one I have is made of cotton, with an adjustable length strap and was for sale as Royal Traveller by Samsonite. No longer available however. Here is a link to other Neck Wallets in case that interests you.

http://www.travelwalletexpert.com/2016/08/05/the-3-best-neck-wallets-for-travel/

Have a great day all!

We've used a small cable reinforced crossbody bag throughout Europe, including Barecelona, without any problems. The zippers actually latch together and if worn right by design the outside zippered pockets are actually against the body. I know Barecelona seems to get mentioned often as a pickpocket haven, certainly they were present around the Sagrada Familia, but we've heard about and actually seen pickpockets in Florence, Rome, Athens, Paris, and Istanbul just to name a few. Tragic and funny at the same time one of the staff on the Wind who was accompanying a tour group in Florence got their iPhone lifted. He gave the briefing on the bus to Florence about pickpockets. The unfortunate truth is that it happens probably everywhere in the world and short of staying in your cabin or hotel room there is some risk. Take precautions, carry as little as you can, don't put valuables in back pockets, etc., etc., and above all be aware of your surroundings. We do what we can but we're not paranoid enough to the point it ruins our times out and about.

Randy, all you say is true, but it is equally true to observe that some places are much worst than others and to helieve that all places carry similar risks is incorrect. It is in my view all about increasing your safety odds by avoiding being the target when there are others who make better targets if you simply take the basic steps I suggest.

With respect to shoulder bags it depends on whether you wish to increase your odds of being noticed and therefore targetted and then fight to keep your bag or do as i suggest and reduce your chances of being a target in the first place. It is simply a matter of choices we make.

We've used a small cable reinforced crossbody bag throughout Europe, including Barecelona, without any problems. The zippers actually latch together and if worn right by design the outside zippered pockets are actually against the body. I know Barecelona seems to get mentioned often as a pickpocket haven, certainly they were present around the Sagrada Familia, but we've heard about and actually seen pickpockets in Florence, Rome, Athens, Paris, and Istanbul just to name a few. Tragic and funny at the same time one of the staff on the Wind who was accompanying a tour group in Florence got their iPhone lifted. He gave the briefing on the bus to Florence about pickpockets. The unfortunate truth is that it happens probably everywhere in the world and short of staying in your cabin or hotel room there is some risk. Take precautions, carry as little as you can, don't put valuables in back pockets, etc., etc., and above all be aware of your surroundings. We do what we can but we're not paranoid enough to the point it ruins our times out and about.

Hi Randy, what brand of cross body bag do you use?

One thing I read about pickpockets years ago is that they'll observe people when there is an announcement or a sign about pickpockets and pay attention to which pockets people check, so they know where the wallet is.

Also, fashion designers seem to be in cahoots with pickpockets as most women's clothing doesn't have decent pockets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

there are lots of videos on YouTube about the pickpocket issues which are rampant.

Be aware of your surroundings. Walk with purpose, avoid crowds.

Don't take anything with you that you can't replace or won't mind missing.

When I am alone I try to avoid carrying a handbag.

Never put anything in your back pockets.

Greetings Coolers!

Looks like another fire in London...Camden Lock Market. No injuries. Sounds like many stall operators might have lost stock though. Apparently the Market is open for business though.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40552451

Hope Cam is having a marvelous time in NYC!

Have a great day all!

Greetings Coolers!

Hope Cam is having a marvelous time in NYC!

Have a great day all!

She is. Even posted about it on the wrong thread! [emoji6]

Greetings from exciting New York City!

Last night's concert at the Museum's sculpture garden was lovely, and very successful. It was packed! We dined at the Greek restaurant Molyvos, since this is a favorite. Today will be a busy day, with meetings, etc., but I need to find time to visit the American Girl store as my little one is having a birthday soon.

Great day to all Coolers!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP, thanks for pointing out my boo-boo. This is so funny!! People in the other thread may think l'm bonkers.... probably not far from the truth....

Perfectly understandable error, as the topic of conversation here was the same as the other thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Camels, life doesn't get much better than music followed by musaca ........ :D

Does your iPad mean Moussaka? If so, I bought more veal and eggplant and I'll probably make some more of that later this week. Was so tasty last time we're craving more.

Greetings Coolers! I have given up on talking about the rain. I think it is like waving a red flag in front of the weather bull gods.

That meal looks delicious J! Myster has dragged out the BBQ and we have enjoyed grilled lamb chops. Love lamb!!!!

Have a great day all!

Mmm. Crispy duck! So tasty. Making me hungry!

We had some grilled chicken thighs this weekend. They were basted with honey and horseradish butter at the end of cooking, and served with a parsley sauce. I made some sweet potato fries to go with it.

9942deb40607cbf72591c33ce51870f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny