Rome hotel that doesn't require electrical adapters

turquoisesea

I have found that airport hotels, hotels from US oriented chains (Hiltons, for example) and higher end hotels are more likely to have US plugs. But to be safe, you definitely need to take the adapters. You never know when you will need to plug in somewhere.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It's not just an adapter that you have to consider. You may need a converter too to convert to the 220v. Some items, such as phone chargers and camera battery chargers are good for 110v to 240v, so you would only require the 2 pin adapter. Other items such as blow dryers would need to be dual voltage or you'll need a converter to step down the volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Curious that you would consider booking a hotel based upon what type of electrical outlets they have, especially since you can purchase a two prong adapter for about $5. We've found that most hotels will either provide adapters in your room, or lend you one for your stay, but as has been mentioned above, for some items you may need a converter as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Curious that you would consider booking a hotel based upon what type of electrical outlets they have, especially since you can purchase a two prong adapter for about $5. We've found that most hotels will either provide adapters in your room, or lend you one for your stay, but as has been mentioned above, for some items you may need a converter as well.

I just bought two adapters from Rick Steve's site, $1.00 each.

My experience is that many hotels already are set up for a USA plug and if not have the necessary adapters on hand.

If this was me, I would select the hotel based on other factors such as location. After you have done this I would write to them to see if they have USA plugs in place or adapters.

Adapters are small and I would pick one up. You can order it on Amazon.Com

As to a converter, these days I find very little reason to use them. Most of the current appliances (computers, smart phones, digital cameras and even hair dryers don't require them).

Keith

Most hotels will have a hair dryer that you can use, and most camera battery chargers, computers, and phones are dual voltage these days (but do check yours to be sure!). So you could use their hair dryer and easily get by with a couple of cheap adapters for the other things. That way you won't have to worry about a converter. And you will have the advantage of being able to use the European adapters on the ship too, and having access to twice as many outlets!

Edited by lisiamc

For those who wrote they found hotels that had US sockets: Could you name these please?

I have not encountered a hotel in Europe in all my years of travel which had US sockets and power. I've worked for some large US-based chains and did not find those sockets. The airport hotels I've stayed at (Hilton FCO, Hilton LHR, Sheraton CDG, Sheraton FRA, Sheraton MUC, Fairmont CAI) did not have any US sockets that I saw. I know this is anecdotal, but it would help to know specifics to point people to with this question.

To the OP: I'm not sure why you require US power and sockets. If your device is dual-voltage, a cheap adapter (about $2-5 each) will suffice. If your device is NOT dual-voltage, spend another $50 or so for a travel converter. What devices are you concerned about?

Edited by slidergirl

Dual voltage has been around for many decades - longer than cellphones & electronic cameras & I-Pads & such - and I can't imagine any tablet or other modern low-power appliance which isn't dual voltage. Ditto razors and hair-dryers unless yours is antique, though even cheap hotel rooms usually come with a hair-dryer. But check the plug or charger, it's likely to say "Input 100 - 220v" or similar, so will only need an adaptor, not a voltage converter. The same applies to anything which is charged through a USB.

It seems that when Mr DK paid just $5 for an adaptor he was charged over-the-odds :D

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I love English expressions. Please explain over-the-odds[emoji4]. I think I have a pretty good idea. Paid too much? Actually didn't buy one, just checked the price ion Amazon before replying. DK

Yep, you got it. :)

I don't know the origin of the expression, unfortunately neither does Google.

Probably related to betting odds.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Dual voltage has been around for many decades - longer than cellphones & electronic cameras & I-Pads & such - and I can't imagine any tablet or other modern low-power appliance which isn't dual voltage. Ditto razors and hair-dryers unless yours is antique, though even cheap hotel rooms usually come with a hair-dryer. But check the plug or charger, it's likely to say "Input 100 - 220v" or similar, so will only need an adaptor, not a voltage converter. The same applies to anything which is charged through a USB.

It seems that when Mr DK paid just $5 for an adaptor he was charged over-the-odds :D

JB, I agree about chargers for razors, tablets, camera, etc, but I just looked at my hair dryers (I have 3!:o) and they are all marked 220-240v. They are all less than two years old. I think the assumption from manufacturers is that since, as you point out, most hotels supply hair dryers, people don't normally travel with theirs.

For those who wrote they found hotels that had US sockets: Could you name these please?

I have not encountered a hotel in Europe in all my years of travel which had US sockets and power. I've worked for some large US-based chains and did not find those sockets. The airport hotels I've stayed at (Hilton FCO, Hilton LHR, Sheraton CDG, Sheraton FRA, Sheraton MUC, Fairmont CAI) did not have any US sockets that I saw. I know this is anecdotal, but it would help to know specifics to point people to with this question.

To the OP: I'm not sure why you require US power and sockets. If your device is dual-voltage, a cheap adapter (about $2-5 each) will suffice. If your device is NOT dual-voltage, spend another $50 or so for a travel converter. What devices are you concerned about?

Just for example from my latest European trip to Bastogne/Reims/Paris/London/LHR. The small hotel in Bastogne had no US plugs. The Best Western in Reims, and the Hilton family members in my other stops all had US plugs.

I have stayed at Hilton FCO, but it has been a few years, and I don't think it had US plugs. The Cavalleri (a Hilton family member) did have US plugs, as did the Hilton in Florence, and the Hilton in Venice. The smaller family run place in Cinque Terre did not.

Target sells 3 packs for $8. If you have a Macbook Air would be to get the Apple world travel adapter kit for $29 because the flimsy regular cheap adapters might be risky.

All of Europe has 220-240 Volt current with various type receptacles. In Italy they use the basic plug with 2 round prongs (a 3rd round ground prong may or may not fit). Some hotels do provide a 110-115 volt current in the bathroom...but this is generally a low wattage outlet that will only work with appliances like electric razors or toothbrushes. A hair dryer requires a high wattage outlet and we have never seen this in a 110-115 volt version in Italy!

My suggestion to the OP is to have a hair dryer that works on duel voltage. These are quite common (and not expensive) and yours may already be duel voltage capable....which would be indicated on the actual appliance. Nearly all computer and phone charges are already duel voltage (it will have the input printed on the device or the the plug). If you have duel voltage items...you only need a simple (and inexpensive) adaptor which you can find at any luggage store, Walmart, Target, etc.

Let me reiterate the difference between "adaptors" and "voltage coverters." An adaptor is a very simple (and cheap) device that simply plugs into the European outlet and allows you to plug your US device into the other side of the adaptor. This is only usable if your item is duel voltage (runs on 220-240 volts). A Voltage Converter is used to actually convert voltage from 220 to 110....and is heavier, more expensive, and much more complex. If a hair dryer is the only issue we would suggest just buying an inexpensive travel hair dryer at a place like Walmart. Just check to make sure it will operate on 220-240 volts....before your purchase.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Just returned from South America. There are at least two configurations of outlets (Argentina, Chile, Peru) that are 220.

But the best thing....in both Argentina and Peru we found US wall receptacles that had been wired with 220. One was labeled, one wasn't. Didn't matter, the voltage was still the same.

My wife took her curling iron, insisting it was dual voltage. I am electrician and that curling iron did not look like it would be dual voltage.

Fortunately, before she used it the first time in Argentina, I looked ever so carefully at the label that is formed into the plastic handle. It was 120 volt (only). So she could not use it until we were on the ship.

If it had not been checked, there would have been smoke, really bad smells and possibly flames....and bad, bad words. LOL

Even if I was in a hotel that seemed to have US receptacles and voltage, I would ask a responsible employee to be sure.

I have one friend who has particularly challenging hair and she insists that "normal" hair dryers, such as those offered in hotel rooms (or on ships) are not powerful enough to deal with her frizz. She brought her own from home, one that I swear could be used to heat a room in a pinch. Unfortunately, even with a voltage convertor and the correct plug adapter she discovered that an appliance (particularly one that generates heat) designed to run on 110 does not operate the same way on 220. She didn't get the heat and power she was accustomed to at home and claimed that the dryer never worked properly again once she got home.

I don't travel with a hairdryer either, but every once in a while I do encounter a hotel room without one. This may be a reflection of the type of hotels we choose sometimes. (Cheap!!) :D. In all but one case, they have had one I could borrow at the front desk.

The large chain hotels in Europe will usually have a hairdryer, but many small hotels and BBs don't always provide them.

We typically choose either a larger hotel or a flat rental. Not sure we would book an accommodation without a basic such as a hairdryer to lend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The large chain hotels in Europe will usually have a hairdryer, but many small hotels and BBs don't always provide them.

I can vouch that Ibis Budget doesn't provide a hair dryer, although Ibis regular does. We do stay with them occasionally as the price can be very cheap, the bed is comfortable and the shower is good.