Norovirus on Riviera NOW???

Marthasbaby

I don't understand the "glove" thing unless you changed them often. Like riding in a cab and then changing them for eating.

If you were to touch something that has germs, and then touched your eyes, nose or mouth with that gloved hand, you could still transport the germ to your body? So what is the trick?

No trick, but just as you wrote, changing to a clean glove as needed. Don't do it excessively. I've even washed my hands before eating, with the gloves on. Having the gloves on, makes me even more aware of not touching my face. They are also the responsible thing to do when touring historic buildings. If you need to touch a plastered wall as you descend a narrow spiral stairway, the gloves protect the wall from the grease of your hands. A situation often encountered in 400 yr old churches.

We got the clear ones, not the blue. Most people don't even know we have the gloves on. Less obtrusive than the gauze face masks often seen in Asia. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
The Winter 2016 outbreak started with reports on the November 18, 2015 TA and at 9% was high enough to trigger a CDC report with 74 of 1,160 (6.38%) and crew 12 of 776 (1.55%).

There have been no reports here that I have seen so that is a good sign. I also checked the CC reviews section and there were none for the Nov TA, but there are no Dec reports. It is called something like "Winter Vomiting Sickness" so we are early for seeing cases. 2 CDC reports were filed recently by P&O on 10/16 and Holland on 11/3 (crew 2.8%!).

You probably won't know if there is a problem until late January or the Feb 2 cruise reports.

In 2016 the Feb 2 cruise reported 3% sick to the CDC and O delayed boarding to clean. The next cruise on Feb 12 went code red quickly with constant cleaning and dripping walls. They took all the railings apart to get every crevice. Noro got to 10.5% so CDC ended the cruise 2 days early. Seems 2 days cleaning was not enough as the March 20 cruise hit 9% and went full code red with every surface dripping with cleaner all day (per thepreismans.com). I guess my point is ... how can O not stop this stuff?

O does not have to report until it hits a certain CDC level, so they simply will not be upfront about it. Even when you are on the cruise the Captain's reports IMO are not giving close to the actual numbers. I would like to see a sticky thread here to report all O Noro cases and Code Reds.

I'm on the Feb 2 cruise and I'm going. If it goes Code Red that will be my last winter O for a few years. Maybe the ship or crew has a problem that makes it an ideal host, maybe its the passengers that arrive sick or will not cooperate, maybe its just bad luck for O. I really enjoy cruising O but Code Red is not the kind of cruise I want to be on again, it affects dining so much.

CDC https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

Good post. :)

And I hope you have a good cruise.

I was on one of the infamous NORO cruises that you mentioned above and I can say without a doubt that O does not handle NORO well.

A great cruise ship I am sure if there is no Noro, but not if there is. Just my personal experience of course ;)

We were on the November 1st sailing of the Marina and Oceania definitely did NOT handle Noro well. There were officially 39 people plus crew who went to the doctor but talking with a number of people who did NOT go to the doctor, myself included, I would say it probably was more like 200. The ship was totally locked down..

Will not go on Oceania again - ever.

DH and I agree that the illness was not handled well. Not enough staff to give the service that they are suppose to be so famous for. The staff was too busy cleaning and they were exhausted. That we get and felt very badly about. But the cruise shouldn't have had to be that way. And we were paying big $$$$ on a cruise that fell short of almost everything promised.

However, we are giving Oceania another try/chance in a little over a week. We will be sailing on the Marina. And as you have probably read, the Marina is currently having gastro troubles. So if this cruise again falls short because Oceania didn't learn from last years troubles, we will not be trying them a 3rd time.

DH and I agree that the illness was not handled well. Not enough staff to give the service that they are suppose to be so famous for. The staff was too busy cleaning and they were exhausted. That we get and felt very badly about. But the cruise shouldn't have had to be that way. And we were paying big $$$$ on a cruise that fell short of almost everything promised.

However, we are giving Oceania another try/chance in a little over a week. We will be sailing on the Marina. And as you have probably read, the Marina is currently having gastro troubles. So if this cruise again falls short because Oceania didn't learn from last years troubles, we will not be trying them a 3rd time.

Oh, so now I know who to blame if our cruise has problems, all your fault, Sallie. Let's hope all goes well. See you soon,

Marilyn

We were on the November 1st sailing of the Marina and Oceania definitely did NOT handle Noro well. There were officially 39 people plus crew who went to the doctor but talking with a number of people who did NOT go to the doctor, myself included, I would say it probably was more like 200. The ship was totally locked down..

That is part of the problem

people do not report the illness & continue to wander the ship spreading the virus to others

That is part of the problem

people do not report the illness & continue to wander the ship spreading the virus to others

+1. So agree.

Perhaps the problem could be rectified or at least partially, if O, like other lines, did not charge for the treatment of Noro? Assessment was free on our cruise but treatment was not. The other times we have encountered Noro, treatment was free and the Noro issue was resolved quite quickly.

+1. So agree.

Perhaps the problem could be rectified or at least partially, if O, like other lines, did not charge for the treatment of Noro? Assessment was free on our cruise but treatment was not. The other times we have encountered Noro, treatment was free and the Noro issue was resolved quite quickly.

not sure of the treatment for noro other than stay hydrated ...sports drinks help (which are free on O )

If a person waits too long & not getting fluids then they get severely dehydrated then require I.V. treatment

+1. So agree.

+1 Could help

No one wants to be quarantined so that's why we don't go to the doctor. You are actually pretty sick for about 18 hours then you just feel tired and not hungry for up to 4 days. That was my experience and those of others I spoke to who also did not go to the doctor. Don't think it's the passengers by the way, who bring the illness on, but someone on the crew.

not sure of the treatment for noro other than stay hydrated ...sports drinks help (which are free on O )

If a person waits too long & not getting fluids then they get severely dehydrated then require I.V. treatment

This is correct. There is no specific treatment, a visit to the medical clinic for otherwise healthy people will not be impactful. I believe many people quietly self isolate themselves, which is OK.

Hoping that the Steelers overcome the unnamed GI illness that spread through their locker room a few days ago. Initially 2 were sick, then 15. People in all walks of life bring viral illness to their workplace, day care, school, college and even locker rooms of elite athletes. My terrible towel is ready.

Those drinks do help and there other drinks that help re-establish electrolyte balance.

Antimotility agents can be helpful for anyone over the age of 3. Not available in the ship's shops so only from the doctor ($$$). We travel with them now. Haven't needed them ourselves but they have been of help to others ;)

Edited by kazu

Those drinks do help and there other drinks that help re-establish electrolyte balance.

Antimotility agents can be helpful for anyone over the age of 3. Not available in the ship's shops so only from the doctor ($$$). We travel with them now. Haven't needed them ourselves but they have been of help to others ;)

No over the counter Imodium or anti diarrhea medication in the shops? Odd.

No one wants to be quarantined so that's why we don't go to the doctor. You are actually pretty sick for about 18 hours then you just feel tired and not hungry for up to 4 days. That was my experience and those of others I spoke to who also did not go to the doctor. Don't think it's the passengers by the way, who bring the illness on, but someone on the crew.

Well while you are sick your room attendants go about their daily chores & take the virus from your cabin to someone else's cabin

so I guess you are right the crew is spreading the virus

Once you are quarantined the housekeeping staff suit up with tyvek suits, gloves & masks ... your bedding & towels are placed in a bio med bag to be treated separate from the non infected cabins

so by not reporting to the medical centre either in person or by phone YOU helping spread the virus

The last thing you want to do is take Imodium & keep the virus in your system

If it is something else that causes the problem then OK take it but people should be tested for NORO 1st

You take Imodium then go about the ship you are still contagious to others

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/treatment.html

The bottom line -- going by the misleading title of the thread - is that there is no norovirus on the Riviera nor has there been in the second half of 2016 and thus far in 2017. While this discussion is interesting, bringing this thread up to the top of the page only frightens more people. IMO, a thread regarding precautions and treatments for norovirus and/or gastroenteritis would be more useful and productive than incorrectly suggesting that it is currently on the Riviera.

The bottom line -- going by the misleading title of the thread - is that there is no norovirus on the Riviera nor has there been in the second half of 2016 and thus far in 2017. While this discussion is interesting, bringing this thread up to the top of the page only frightens more people. IMO, a thread regarding precautions and treatments for norovirus and/or gastroenteritis would be more useful and productive than incorrectly suggesting that it is currently on the Riviera.

+1

Absolutely agree. IMO: The sensationalized title is for attention-grabbing purposes only and unnecessary. The discussion would have proceeded without the drama-induced headline.

If it is something else that causes the problem then OK take it but people should be tested for NORO 1st

I don't believe I said Immodium. But there are agents that help with the D.

And there are times it must be helped to be dealt with.

I didn't know you were a physician.

thankfully I travel with one ;). Each to their own.

Edited by kazu

Sitting at home with norovirus (probably but as Dr says -- same treatment and same advice for most "stomach bugs"). We have it off and on now for 3 weeks and trading it back and forth. It is January, It is cold and nasty but not kill germs cold. We did ride public transportation this week and we did go to church and out to eat once. I went to grocery store (that's my guess -- you have to handle the nasty carts). I have 3 people to clean up -- me myself and I. This all started Jan. 3 when we flew to Florida. My private guess is that most shipboard norovirus comes hitchhiking with all the tourists that are packed into metal tubes then are set in lines at the cruise port. Each is given a piece of paper and a pencil and then asked "do you have any sign of illness" and they say " NO NADA Nothing" and then they get on the ship and blame the ship for having norovirus or being a sick ship. This continues until about April of May when it gets warm and we go outside and degerm!!

Meanwhile. I don't even get the fun of running around the ship and doing things before the NORO hits hard enough to make me hide in cabin -- but not go to Dr. and BE hidden in cabin for 3 days!:D

I don't believe I said Immodium. But there are agents that help with the D.

And there are times it must be helped to be dealt with.

I didn't know you were a physician.

thankfully I travel with one ;). Each to their own.

I mentioned Immodium (as it is an antimotility agent) for the diarrhea that can occur with noro or a GI issue and only asked if it was available on board. I am not a doctor but know what works to help.

If you have noro or any GI issues, you may need it.

Where I live, there are 2 area hospitals basically quarantined because of noro. It is in the news everywhere these days, not just on cruise ships.

Where I live, there are 2 area hospitals basically quarantined because of noro. It is in the news everywhere these days, not just on cruise ships.

Also a large College in Toronto that they suspect Noro is the cause with over 200 students struck down with the symptoms much like Noro

Sitting at home with norovirus (probably but as Dr says -- same treatment and same advice for most "stomach bugs"). We have it off and on now for 3 weeks and trading it back and forth.

Meanwhile. I don't even get the fun of running around the ship and doing things before the NORO hits hard enough to make me hide in cabin -- but not go to Dr. and BE hidden in cabin for 3 days!:D

So what ship were you on before being struck with Noro?

Why would you not report to the doctor onboard (even by phone if too sick to leave the cabin) to protect the housekeeping staff from your virus ?

I mentioned Immodium (as it is an antimotility agent) for the diarrhea that can occur with noro or a GI issue and only asked if it was available on board. I am not a doctor but know what works to help.

If you have noro or any GI issues, you may need it.

When we were on board, it was not readily available in the shops. The Doctor's office has it or the equivalent but, of course, that comes at a much higher cost than what an OTC medication is ;). And I am talking serious dollars. I think our CC friends paid $300 for Noro treatment on board. They didn't need IV or anything. Just quarantined and given anti motilities and a couple of other things.

We always pack antimotility agents now whenever we go away. We haven't used them but others have. There are certain things that must go in the suitcase in case. We don't carry a pharmacy but we have that, polysporin (in case), band aids, salonpas, etc. It doesn't take up much room if you take it out of the box and put it in a ziploc bag. They are still labelled so it's a non issue ;)

Edited by kazu