Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

Ugh...this will not be fun. Knowing me I will loose it someplace. I really hope this will generate a lot of complaints , just like the pre-pay excursions. :mad:

Why would you lose it? Do you lose your cruise card?

Two things.

First, as stated above, this is rolling out very slowly and only on Princess as a test market. The rollout schedule is:

REGAL PRINCESS®

Starting November 13, 2017

ROYAL PRINCESS®

Starting January 19, 2018

CARIBBEAN PRINCESS®

Starting March 18, 2018

Second:

Despite the way the initial article made it sound as if you can still use a key card for your cabin I watched the keynote speech for CES and saw the actual door locks. There was no way to use a cruise card. It appeared that the locks only worked with the medallion. From watching the presentation I'd say the other press release was incorrect. Kind of like, "If you like your healthcare provider you can keep your healthcare provider." In this case it's "If you like your cruise card you can keep your cruise card." One turned out to not be true and it's looking like the other one is the same sort of thing. The door locks in the presentation had no slot of any kind.

I'm booked on the Caribbean Princess cruise where this rolls out. I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Thrak

Two things.

First, as stated above, this is rolling out very slowly and only on Princess as a test market. The rollout schedule is:

REGAL PRINCESS®

Starting November 13, 2017

ROYAL PRINCESS®

Starting January 19, 2018

CARIBBEAN PRINCESS®

Starting March 18, 2018

Second:

Despite the way the initial article made it sound as if you can still use a key card for your cabin I watched the keynote speech for CES and saw the actual door locks. There was no way to use a cruise card. It appeared that the locks only worked with the medallion. From watching the presentation I'd say the other press release was incorrect. Kind of like, "If you like your healthcare provider you can keep your healthcare provider." In this case it's "If you like your cruise card you can keep your cruise card." One turned out to not be true and it's looking like the other one is the same sort of thing. The door locks in the presentation had no slot of any kind.

I'm booked on the Caribbean Princess cruise where this rolls out. I'm looking forward to it.

Do the doors need a slot though? All my work access doors work with flashing a card. Could be an option

Do the doors need a slot though? All my work access doors work with flashing a card. Could be an option

The change probably incorporates the scan technology like some hotels are going to recently, no slot, just pass your card over the pad at the door. In this case the coin becomes the scanning device plus more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you are correct about redundancies being built in. As far as opening my cabin door, I am not sure that I care whether I use something the size of a quarter or something the size of a credit card........as long as the door opens when I need it to. ;)

The cards often didn't work! My wife and I both had to get our cards replaced twice on a 17 day PC transit cruise. At least the medallion shouldn't have the same problem as it doesn't use a magnetic stip.

It actually uses a combination of Low Energy Bluetooth (LEB) and Near Field Communication (NFC). There are sensors all over the ship - many in the ceiling. There are touch screens all over the ship that allow you to interact with the medallion. You can also interact with it via your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or in-room TV. You can add as many preferences as you like or none at all. Other than opening your door and probably paying for drinks, specialty dinners, and other purchases (the same things you currently have to use your card for), you shouldn't have to use it for anything else. Just because there are other services available with the medallion doesn't mean you need to use them.

Edited by Thrak

The change probably incorporates the scan technology like some hotels are going to recently, no slot, just pass your card over the pad at the door. In this case the coin becomes the scanning device plus more.

That is quite possibly the case. I actually hope so as there will be many people who prefer to stick with the old way. I plan to use the medallion not only to open doors but will use some of the other services as well. I'd love to have my drink waiting when I get to the theater or be able to order one without having to snag a waiter during a show. I''m just bummed I have to wait until March of 2018 to try it out.

I'm not usually a fanboi for the latest and greatest tech (heck, I stuck with DOS until graphical Internet hit the scene) but I do think this is pretty cool.

Edited by Thrak

The cards often didn't work! My wife and I both had to get our cards replaced twice on a 17 day PC transit cruise. At least the medallion shouldn't have the same problem as it doesn't use a magnetic stip.

It actually uses a combination of Low Energy Bluetooth (LEB) and Near Field Communication (NFC). There are sensors all over the ship - many in the ceiling. There are touch screens all over the ship that allow you to interact with the medallion. You can also interact with it via your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or in-room TV. You can add as many preferences as you like or none at all. Other than opening your door and probably paying for drinks, specialty dinners, and other purchases (the same things you currently have to use your card for), you shouldn't have to use it for anything else. Just because there are other services available with the medallion doesn't mean you need to use them.

Yep, I have been reading all of these posts and I understand about the LEB and NFC protocols. I, also, have had the magnetic strip fail on my cruise card (I sat it on my cell phone holster (has a magnate in it, duh :o) late at night before going to bed (that last drink may have not helped as far as where I set the card down). As I said before, not sure that I care about the device I need to open the cabin door as long as it is small, easily fits in my pocket and opens the door.................;)

Edited by ar1950

Whoa! I read the ABC News article and came over here to see just how many folks would complain about something new even before it rolled out. OMG!

I can imagine that if something like Cruise Critic was around in 1928, there would be lots of complaints about sliced bread too.

Carnival Corp will be testing this system on the Regal. The article I read says they're keeping an open mind about how it will work out.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/cruise-company-carnival-personal-concierge-tech-44540335

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Al from Minneapolis

I'm very much looking forward to this arriving on Princess. Bug fan of Disney's Magic Bands and the MyMagic+ program. Carnival Corp lured the guys behind it from Disney, and its exciting to see them take it to the next level.

Anything that removes friction from the different touch points on the cruise is a big win for me.

The Medallion ships to you with the basic plastic-type wristband from their video showing the unboxing. Same as Disney. Of course you can buy upgrade bands and such. I like the plastic since its waterproof, but some of the others look pretty nice.

No more waiting for someone to take your drink order. Place order and they just show up. Or preorder for the evening show, and your drink arrives when you do. Reserve your spot in line for tenders in a virtual queue. No more demagnetized cards. Can't wait! The future is now. :)

I can't wait to experience it! So happy it's on my favorite cruise brand.

Al from Minneapolis

Could it be a further innovation than the hotel's since the article says "by unlocking staterooms as passengers approach their stateroom door"?

This was posted on one of my roll calls: https://shipmonk.co.uk/2017/01/05/ocean-medallion-wont-be-big-brother-says-princess-cruises-boss/

1) no cost

2) everyone gets one (i.e. no card available)

3) you can opt out of "most" of the options.

Uh, not quite. If you don't book "Medallion Class", then shouldn't you get the usual card? I certainly don't intend to upgrade my booking at this time. (We're already booked on Caribbean Princess in March 2018.)

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

Uh, not quite. If you don't book "Medallion Class", then shouldn't you get the usual card? I certainly don't intend to upgrade my booking at this time. (We're already booked on Caribbean Princess in March 2018.)

I think you're confusing club class with the medallion technology.

Once it goes into effect on a given ship, the whole ship has Medallion Class service.

Notice that this was presented this week at the CES and the first implementation is not planned until Nov of this year. In that 10 month window multiple tweaks and modifications will likely occur as that is a generation in the consumer tech business. Therefore it might be wise to just throw this issue on the back burner until it becomes much clearer what will actually be incorporated into the new tech. Speculation is fun but implementation will be different than the first pass suggests.

If you bothered to read the article, it will be on three Princess ships over the next year and a half. Not on Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Carnoval Corp intends to roll out this technology to all 100+ ships across all of its brands.

The roll out has to start somewhere and Princess is the chosen starting brand.

Sent from my desktop using MTF

I'd love to have my drink waiting when I get to the theater or be able to order one without having to snag a waiter during a show.

You cannot order one with the medallion by itself.

So if you are sitting in the theater and want to order a drink, you will need to do it with a device that has a screen such as your cell phone or one of many, many new screens on the ship.

Is carrying around something the size of a quarter really that much more difficult than carrying around a cruise card?

Perhaps not, but the keycard does everything I need it to, so why would I want something I have no need for? Sometimes people make things much more complicated than they need to be, all in the name of "progress". I have seen a lot of so called progress in my almost 7 decades on this planet. I can honestly say that much of it was the exact opposite of true progress.

So forgive me for being uninterested. There are many more things in life that are more important to me than a silly quarter sized "fob" that is designed to give the cruise line more information about me and my habits than they really need to have. You may think that they are doing this so you are getting a better service level with these things. The cruise line, however, will be using them to accumulate endless information about you so that they can forever target you with their products after the cruise is over.

I will look forward to the Ocean Medallion. Unfortunately, it won't be on ISLAND in early 2018.

I see this as a corporation plowing profits into R&D to come up with new and better products and experiences for customers as well as give them better feedback and info on the customer experience and use that to help improve processes, practices, delivery, and so forth. The possibilities are exciting to me, but I recognize there is some hyperbole in the initial announcement and it may take quite a while to realize full potential and gains for both cruisers and the corporation.

As a shareholder, I enjoy my OBC benefit and dividends, but I can see this growing the value of my investment and higher dividends down the road.

Yes, I worked in technology for my entire career and it doesn't scare or worry me. Sometimes I am amazed at what can be done these days.

Sure, it may seem gimmicky to simply walk up to cabin door and by the time you grab the handle to open door, it's already unlocked. It's kind of cool. But the real benefits extend beyond that.

At the same time, it sounds like folks can choose to use their medallion just like today's cruise card and ignore the additional bells and whistles.

It would be cool to be able to find a spouse and simply be able to walk to where they are and join them without trying to send a message and hope they see it. I could go on, but this has potential.

What, no more key cards? How will I flash my Black card to get preferential treatment.....:D:D:D

Bob

No worries. The medallions will be color coded. Wear it proudly around your neck or wrist on the supplied lanyard/necklace/bracelet so everyone will see it. :):rolleyes::D

Edited by ar1950