New: Cash Cards Only In Lieu Of OBC...

Bo1953

Do You Prefer OBC or Discounted Cabin Price From TA?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Prefer OBC or Discounted Cabin Price From TA?

... has anyone encountered this at our TA? Previously we received OBC, now they have gone to a cash card system which will be issued within 30 days after you return from the sailing....

It is the GC I do not want as it can only be used at their warehouses or the online store... which is well within their right(s) and T & C to do so. I prefer to use the money on the sailing, personally.

I will commence a search for a TA whose forte is based on pricing and pay for upgrades in perks on my own as the difference in pricing may accommodates this... Yet I did prefer the OBC, which was usually generous to say the least... :)

Thank you all and bon voyage!

... has anyone encountered this at our TA? Previously we received OBC, now they have gone to a cash card system which will be issued within 30 days after you return from the sailing....

It is the GC I do not want as it can only be used at their warehouses or the online store... which is well within their right(s) and T & C to do so. I prefer to use the money on the sailing, personally.

I will commence a search for a TA whose forte is based on pricing and pay for upgrades in perks on my own as the difference in pricing may accommodates this... Yet I did prefer the OBC, which was usually generous to say the least... :)

Never heard of it until your post.

dk - yes, there are 'reputable' TA's who provide OBC, this one provided, usually, very good OBC which more than exceeded price of membership to join the club. Well worth it for us, especially since we only have booked verandahs.

The OBC has always paid for our gratuities and beverage package upgrades, with some left over to purchase a very nice bottle of wine for dinner. :) Well worth the sub $100 cost to join.

bon voyage

dk - yes, there are 'reputable' TA's who provide OBC, this one provided, usually, very good OBC which more than exceeded price of membership to join the club. Well worth it for us, especially since we only have booked verandahs.

The OBC has always paid for our gratuities and beverage package upgrades, with some left over to purchase a very nice bottle of wine for dinner. :) Well worth the sub $100 cost to join.

bon voyage

My response wasn't concerning OBC but the Cash Card system you were questioning. I never heard of that. I don't mean to imply the GC isn't offered. I know what OBCs are and how they can be applied to onboard purchases except for applying them toward the down on a future Cruise. We have them on every Cruise we take. Both Cruise line and TA OBCs. We've also received cabin discounts along with an OBC from our TA.

Edited by davekathy

I use the same TA. The cash card is due to their contract with Celebrity and I believe RCL. Carnival has that agreement as well. Carnival has that agreement with several TAs.

I agree that I would rather have the OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My response wasn't concerning OBC but the Cash Card system you were questioning. I never heard of that. I know what OBCs are and how they can be applied to onboard purchases. We have them on every Cruise we take. Both Cruise line and TA OBCs. We've also received cabin discounts along with an OBC from our TA.

dk - That is great... this is very very new for this TA and I only found out about when going to book another sailing and was told only their Cash Cards would be issued after sailing in lieu of OBC... initially I was mad, then thought about it for 15 seconds and said that is okay, I will just find another TA to book through...

Thank you again for your thoughts and input...

bon voyage

I use the same TA. The cash card is due to their contract with Celebrity and I believe RCL. Carnival has that agreement as well. Carnival has that agreement with several TAs.

I agree that I would rather have the OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

am - Thank you for the response, I was told similar and also thought they contracted me away from them, too.

In fact the TA has the largest non-affiliated group on my next sailing which as sold up to 95%.

That is very good, for sure. I Am happy that I got my reservations transferred before the new policy, for sure...

bon voyage

I didn't vote, but I also didn't move the cruise I booked a couple of weeks ago on-board to the big box store that has changed to in-store credits. I don't care if I get reduced price or a real OBC or free gratuities as long as whatever they give complements what I received from Celebrity. I moved the reservation to an agent who gave me a discount on the fare (group rate) and an additional OBC.

Wow! I would much rather have the OBC combined with Celebrity's OBC; My TA's OBC is always greater than Celebrity's and I love that I get her credit back if I don't use it on my card! I would not want it the other way around or a check after 30 days after my cruise. Just my opinion...However, it would really depend on how much the cabin was discounted; for suites that is not usually the case with a group rate.

Edited by Lastdance

Our TA gives us onboard credit and a check after sailing which we can use to purchase trip insurance if we wish.

How do you (and why would you???) purchase trip insurance AFTER SAILING?

Edited by Kartgv

I didn't vote, but I also didn't move the cruise I booked a couple of weeks ago on-board to the big box store that has changed to in-store credits. I don't care if I get reduced price or a real OBC or free gratuities as long as whatever they give complements what I received from Celebrity. I moved the reservation to an agent who gave me a discount on the fare (group rate) and an additional OBC.

gh - please feel free to vote, as it is to gauge preference.. there is a line for a combination of both..

Thank you again - bon voyage

k - I believe they meant it covered their trip insurance after they sailed, the check received.

Thank you and bon voyage

It probably costs them less.

If they give you $100 that you can spend elsewhere it will cost them whatever elsewhere charges them, maybe $100, maybe a slight discount.

If you spend it with them, it costs them cost price on $100 of goods or services.

Our TA allows us to purchase trip ins from her at the time of booking using all or part of the "check after sailing". Any cash left is mailed to us when the ship sails. The OP needs to shop for a new TA.

I also have my reservation through the same store and they stressed very clearly that the cash card could be take to member services and exchanged for cash. With that, I figure I'd use it to pay for any incidentals I charge on the cruise anyway.

I don't think they are supposed to do that. I pitched a boo hissie fit and they did cash a 1500 cash card for me. Our last cruise is with them in Nov. We will not renew our membership after that.

This change happen last fall. Since I don't live near any of their locations my shopping/visits are maybe 1 or 2 a year. This was our TA of choice but we stopped booking with them.

I too was told the cash card could be taken to their Customer Service desk and exchanged for money. For us that would mean a 150 mile r/t.

Our TA allows us to purchase trip ins from her at the time of booking using all or part of the "check after sailing". Any cash left is mailed to us when the ship sails. The OP needs to shop for a new TA.

I - Yes I do need to shop.. that is for sure. I do LOVE email too... from everyone.

bon voyage

I guess I shop there often enough. It doesn't matter to me if it is OBC or cash card for a store. That usually means I will purchase less on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

b - Yes, I also shop there often, like every other week or so... if I were going by myself, yes it would mean less purchasing aboard. LOL

Thank you and bon voyage

It probably costs them less.

If they give you $100 that you can spend elsewhere it will cost them whatever elsewhere charges them, maybe $100, maybe a slight discount.

If you spend it with them, it costs them cost price on $100 of goods or services.

g2 - keeping the money in-house is always a better way to go. I believe this situation stems from a signed contract which the TA has with X...

Thank you and bon voyage