So is the soda still served from warm cans? (sorry been a while)

frayedend

I am just now possibly planning on a trip on the Fascination in August with my 2 boys. We were on Valor on this itinerary a while back. I literally and going back on this itinerary to do the Sail Calabaza again. So I'm sure to have a bunch of questions.

I did search but only find threads about bringing soda onboard or drink packages. Do they still serve soda from warm cans? I remember all my drinks were flat and it sort of ruined the soda package and my rum and cokes.

Yep, still served from warm cans. We just got off a Mex Riviera cruise and the soda not taste right. Very flat, I thought it was maybe from Mexico but it was Diet Coke and I did see them loading it by the pallet in Long Beach.

On a side note, love Sail Calabazza, glad that you are getting to do it again. I would definitely make that a priority the next time I am there. That was one of my best excursions ever!!!

I am just now possibly planning on a trip on the Fascination in August with my 2 boys. We were on Valor on this itinerary a while back. I literally and going back on this itinerary to do the Sail Calabaza again. So I'm sure to have a bunch of questions.

I did search but only find threads about bringing soda onboard or drink packages. Do they still serve soda from warm cans? I remember all my drinks were flat and it sort of ruined the soda package and my rum and cokes.

They pour it over ice though, so what does it matter if it's warm or cold from the can?

They pour it over ice though, so what does it matter if it's warm or cold from the can?

The warm soda melts half the ice before the drink gets cold, so it starts out sort of flat and watered down.

Pouring warm soda over ice makes it lose all the carbonation as it will bubble up like crazy and melts the ice right away also--you get a warm, flat soda.

Even when I pour a cold soda into a glass, I tip it to the side and pour slowly as to not lose any fizz. Then I carefully place a few ice cubes in--not dropping, slowly placing :):) I hate a flat soda :)

Oh my, it matters a lot! Don't know why they won't keep it cold. Stopped buying the coke package.

Many fountain soda dispensers use room temperature water and syrup, and the soda guns at just about every bar in the US certainly don't dispense cold soda. I guess I fail to see the difference between room temperature fountain/gun soda and room temperature can soda when poured over ice.

Us Americans use an unusually large amount of ice with our beverages compared to most other countries. What I notice more often is the foreign bartenders dont use American amounts of ice which doesn't make it as cold in the glass as it would at home. Just ask for extra ice.

Edited by realjd

Many fountain soda dispensers use room temperature water and syrup, and the soda guns at just about every bar in the US certainly don't dispense cold soda. I guess I fail to see the difference between room temperature fountain/gun soda and room temperature can soda when poured over ice.

Every time I get a soda at a restaurant, I request "no ice," and the soda is typically cold enough for me. Not ice cold but it's colder than a coke that's sat on a cruise ship bar top all day. I don't know if they chill the water or what, but they're pretty cold.

If you take two glasses full of ice, and pour a warm can of coke into one and a cold can of coke into the other you'll notice a difference. The warm can will fizz more and will melt more ice, leading to a flatter and more watered down drink.

It's a relatively small difference, but it does make a difference.

If it didn't matter, you wouldn't be reading this thread. Warm soda over ice = flat soda. Few want to pay premium prices for that.

lol I don't doubt that people notice a difference, I was just curious what it was since I've never noticed it myself.

Edited by realjd

Don't know why they won't keep it cold.

It probably has to do with the limited amount of refrigerator space available at many of the bars. Especially on the pool deck. The refrigerators behind the bar are more needed to keep a decent inventory of a fairly wide selection of beers cold.

Edited by AdGuyMG

Yep, still served from warm cans. We just got off a Mex Riviera cruise and the soda not taste right. Very flat, I thought it was maybe from Mexico but it was Diet Coke and I did see them loading it by the pallet in Long Beach.

Where the soda is manufactured has a lot to do with the taste. Different water used to makes the sodas makes it taste different. I see you are from Chicago. So the sodas that you are use to will taste different from the ones made in Long Beach.

We have noticed this when we bought sodas to bring onboard on the different islands when you could still do that. Each island's sodas had a different taste to them.

On the Pride last week they were still serving it "warm" as it was in the 12packs on the side of the bar. Does it make a huge difference? I guess for the avid soda drinker, kind of like an avid wine drinker. But for someone like me who only touches soda while on vacation it doesn't really bother me.

To be honest I think this comes down to a lack of space in the bar refrigerators, they carry a ton of different beers now and those HAVE to be in the fridge, so I guess soda is kind of the odd man out.

Us Americans use an unusually large amount of ice with our beverages compared to most other countries. What I notice more often is the foreign bartenders dont use American amounts of ice which doesn't make it as cold in the glass as it would at home. Just ask for extra ice.

As a foreigner married to an American this is true. I'm amazed at how little soda my wife has in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

lol I don't doubt that people notice a difference, I was just curious what it was since I've never noticed it myself.

I always noticed a difference. It gets flat when pouring over ice. Even worse for my rum and cokes.

I thought a few years back that they said they were fixing this with either fountain soda or those Coke machines with all the choices. But I guess not. The difference for me is that I will carry on what is allowed and cool it in the fridge myself rather than purchase the package.