sun or golden princess

HCI

Fresh is easy, catch your own.

Tried that! Too unreliable. Actually I had some success in NZ but not in Australia. :(

And salad stuff doesn't grow in the ocean. :p

And there are no bakeries for fresh bread. :(

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I think brisbane41 took another look at his photos and realised he was wrong ... and won't admit it. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

No some of us have to work mega hours for a living.

I will do Sapphire Princess and Sun Princess first. Need to make sure I can get the photos uploaded without resizing.

The Sun Princess photo is on the right and due to the bay windows the promenade narrows. I uploaded Sapphire Princess on the left because being a Grand class ship it clearly has reclining lounges on its promenade.

2005-01-22-013.jpg.0bd0bb48ec7ce00ae89fb4f6827b840b.jpg

2008-11-19-037.jpg.3d5103cde3878e2695a450619a6953cd.jpg

Edited by Brisbane41

Now that I know the photos work lets start with the theatre.

Photo on the left is the Sun class (Dawn Princess) and photo on the right is Golden Princess.

As for the Atrium I will do Dawn Princess to the left and Diamond Princess to the right which clearly shows the Grand class has a much larger atrium than the Sun class.

More photos will come as there are 1000's to go through of various ships.

Regarding the post above on the promenade deck of Sun Princess and Sapphire Princess. I had to use those two as they were taken by the same camera on the same focal length so the perspective is correct. A professional camera with a wide angle lens can really distort the perception of size.

2013-04-26-027.jpg.5076c0a5e5f0f554ae975042be93a6f3.jpg

2014-03-28-029.jpg.64ceeccd6bbe9727adf963930c6a1765.jpg

2013-04-28-014.jpg.c3047ee0f0f8109d722aa57515bbf551.jpg

2014-09-04-020.jpg.5f593e7f957df53f89f8fa1f29798865.jpg

Edited by Brisbane41

No some of us have to work mega hours for a living.

I will do Sapphire Princess and Sun Princess first. Need to make sure I can get the photos uploaded without resizing.

The Sun Princess photo is on the right and due to the bay windows the promenade narrows. I uploaded Sapphire Princess on the left because being a Grand class ship it clearly has reclining lounges on its promenade.

Thankyou Brisbane41. The photo you have taken of the sun is from the section of bay windows. You can see the ends of the recliner chairs in the photo. The gap between the recliner and railing is much larger on the sun class than sapphire. Dont get me wrong I still do love the promenade on grand class. However I do recall extra width to most of the sun class.

Having been on Dawn (sister to Sun, but went on her a few years back ) and Golden in November as stated earlier, Sun class definitely have wider promenades , but both are great to walk around. And Golden has great views from the bow and because it goes up a deck you have the stairs for extra exercise [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Princess website deck plans show that the Sun has a wider promenade than the Golden.

In reality, promenade size is a first world problem.:rolleyes:

Which ever ship the OP chooses, I trust that they will have a great cruise!

Wrong! The Golden Princess has a promenade deck that is 4 meters wider than the Sun Princess.

The Sun Princess can fit through the Panama Canal and the Golden Princess cannot fit through the Panama Canal.

The theatre is clearly wider and much larger on the Golden Princess as is the atrium.

The outside area is the deceptive part that narrows and widens depending on where safety equipment is located and if the ship has bay style windows overhanging the outer decks.

The Princess website does not show the inflatable life rafts and where they are located on the promenade deck.

Having been on Dawn (sister to Sun, but went on her a few years back ) and Golden in November as stated earlier, Sun class definitely have wider promenades , but both are great to walk around. And Golden has great views from the bow and because it goes up a deck you have the stairs for extra exercise [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Refer to above post. Golden Princess is 36 meters wide and Sun Princess is 32 meters wide. That means that the Golden Princess has a promenade deck that is 4 meters wider than the Sun Princess.

Just because the Golden Princess has an overhang of upper decks does not mean that its moulded width is narrower than the Sun Princess.

Wrong! The Golden Princess has a promenade deck that is 4 meters wider than the Sun Princess.

That is complete and utter rubbish. The promenade deck on Golden is barely 4 metres wide at its widest point, if that.

And the fact that one ship is wider than the other does not mean the promenade deck is wider, the extra width is used in the interior of the ship.

Refer to above post. Golden Princess is 36 meters wide and Sun Princess is 32 meters wide. That means that the Golden Princess has a promenade deck that is 4 meters wider than the Sun Princess.

Just because the Golden Princess has an overhang of upper decks does not mean that its moulded width is narrower than the Sun Princess.

Sorry to say it, but your reasoning is totally wrong. The extra width on the Golden (and other ships of her class) is definitely not in the promenade deck. That extra space is used in the interior. Everyone else here who has been on these ships multiple times is adamant that the promenade deck on the Sun class ships is much wider than on the Grand class.

LOL,The golden has a promenade 4 mtrs wider, that must make it close to 8 mtrs wide.

Now one thing we do know is that a sun-lounger will fit through the panama canal.(maybe that's wrong also).

But the main question that needs to be resolved RIGHT NOW, is are there sunloungers in the Atrium.:eek::rolleyes:;):)

LOL,The golden has a promenade 4 mtrs wider, that must make it close to 8 mtrs wide.

Now one thing we do know is that a sun-lounger will fit through the panama canal.(maybe that's wrong also).

But the main question that needs to be resolved RIGHT NOW, is are there sunloungers in the Atrium.:eek::rolleyes:;):)

I have been know to lounge in many grand & golden Atriums after too much sea and sun, particularly at dawn.:D

Sorry to say it, but your reasoning is totally wrong. The extra width on the Golden (and other ships of her class) is definitely not in the promenade deck. That extra space is used in the interior. Everyone else here who has been on these ships multiple times is adamant that the promenade deck on the Sun class ships is much wider than on the Grand class.

Why is it so difficult to understand that a 36 meter wide ship is bigger than a 32 meter wide ship?

Did you fail maths at school?

From point to point the Promenade deck on Golden Princess (and all the Grand class ships) is 36 meters wide.

From point to point the Promenade deck on the Sun Princess (and all the Sun class ships) is 32 meters wide.

That is complete and utter rubbish. The promenade deck on Golden is barely 4 metres wide at its widest point, if that.

And the fact that one ship is wider than the other does not mean the promenade deck is wider, the extra width is used in the interior of the ship.

The Promenade deck and all lower decks on the Golden Princess is actually 36 meters wide - http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Golden-Princess-Fact-Sheet.html

to convert feet into meters multiply it by 0.30480

If the ship was 4 meters wide it would topple over!

I suspect one poster is talking about the width of the deck that is called "Promonade" (as opposed to say Baja deck), while everyone else is talking about the walkway around the deck that most people refer to as the promenade deck.

I suspect one poster is talking about the width of the deck that is called "Promonade" (as opposed to say Baja deck), while everyone else is talking about the walkway around the deck that most people refer to as the promenade deck.

You're probably right, Gut, but if so, he's being deliberately obtuse. He knows very well what we are talking about. After all he has posted pictures of the outside areas of the promenade deck.

Actually I'd be curious to know whether Diamond and Sapphire have wider promenades than Golden. Although those two ships belong to the same class they were built at a different shipyard and there are some design differences, such as the four dining rooms instead of the three on Golden. I don't cruise on Diamond for another year so hopefully someone who has been on both will be able to comment.

I have been on both Diamond Princess and Sea Princess (sister to the Sun) and both ships had the teak sun loungers on the wide promenade deck. The main difference was that on the Sea you could walk all the way round on one level whereas on the Diamond you had to go up some stairs to the next level at the front and that stairway was sometimes closed off.

You're probably right, Gut, but if so, he's being deliberately obtuse. He knows very well what we are talking about. After all he has posted pictures of the outside areas of the promenade deck.

Actually I'd be curious to know whether Diamond and Sapphire have wider promenades than Golden. Although those two ships belong to the same class they were built at a different shipyard and there are some design differences, such as the four dining rooms instead of the three on Golden. I don't cruise on Diamond for another year so hopefully someone who has been on both will be able to comment.

No I was always talking about the full width. If you note earlier posts where people tried to state that the atrium was larger on the Sun class it simply does not make sense which is why I posted photos of the theatre and atrium as well.

No I was always talking about the full width. If you note earlier posts where people tried to state that the atrium was larger on the Sun class it simply does not make sense which is why I posted photos of the theatre and atrium as well.

Thank you for clarifying this.

However your post that started the main discussion was as follows and included comments about the seating on the walking area of the promenade deck.

The Golden Princess does have a reclining set of deck chairs to lay down that are located on the promenade deck. From recollection they are wooden with blue mattresses. The Golden Princess is 36m wide and definitely cannot fit through the Panama Canal. The Sun Princess is 32m wide and can fit through the Panama Canal. I believe the Golden Princess can extend to over 40m wide with its upper deck overhang.

Now I have photos to prove this the Sun Princess has a much narrower promenade deck than Golden Princess. The Sun Princess has upright wooden benches on its promenade deck and many of them. Towards the rear of the Sun Princess the promenade gets wider due to the fact that the forward part of the promenade deck has bay style windows that extend over the deck.

From the photos it has been clarified that Sun has lie down loungers, Golden does not.

So yes the Golden Princess is overall wider than the Sun Princess.

The open area walking part of the promenade deck is wider on the Sun Princess than on the Golden Princess.

Edited by Babsjo

You spoil-sport Gut, I was pmsl enjoying the pedant hunting exercise from the all for one, one for all free for all from the "harry half arsers" club. ;) :p

It never ceases to amaze me of the pack mentality on these boards turned on anyone who has a different opinion, opposite way of looking at or reading anything that doesn't follow the mob majority "norm for normal, nutters" accepted take on absolutely anything... even if it just a good old taking the urine or a good dose of pedantry! :rolleyes:

Hope you & your family had a joyful festive season and a happy new year mate.

Cheers r.

:cool:

You spoil-sport Gut, I was pmsl enjoying the pedant hunting exercise from the all for one, one for all free for all from the "harry half arsers" club. ;) :p

It never ceases to amaze me of the pack mentality on these boards turned on anyone who has a different opinion, opposite way of looking at or reading anything that doesn't follow the mob majority "norm for normal, nutters" accepted take on absolutely anything... even if it just a good old taking the urine or a good dose of pedantry! :rolleyes:

Cheers r.

I held off for as long as I could.

Santa was very good to me, one of them even gave me membership renewal to my favourite football team, I suspect it will be renewed every year for Christmas now.

Took Mrs Gut on a little road trip to visit her dad.

Now back to the grindstone to pay for the next cruises, seven weeks to go.

Cheers r.

I truly wish I had had an English teacher like yours. I usually have to read your posts 2-3 times, laughing all the way, until I finally have a light bulb moment and all is revealed.