sun or golden princess

HCI

Agreed! We felt that overall Princess had a slight edge over Celebrity but it all comes down to personal taste. We prefer the warm golden-toned elegance of the Princess public areas against the cooler silver-tones of Celebrity, also Celebrity seems noisier for some reason.

Definitely noisier. Mostly hard surfaces in their atrium, and also that is where most of their loud entertainment is, rather than lounges.

There was a bit of a scandal a couple of years back, when all the CDs/audio crew got directives to amp up the volume in the entertainment there, to supposedly appeal to a younger audience. Got lots of complaints, initially denials and then refusals, and then Celebrity backed down.

Definitely noisier. Mostly hard surfaces in their atrium, and also that is where most of their loud entertainment is, rather than lounges.

There was a bit of a scandal a couple of years back, when all the CDs/audio crew got directives to amp up the volume in the entertainment there, to supposedly appeal to a younger audience. Got lots of complaints, initially denials and then refusals, and then Celebrity backed down.

We were on her Christmas 2015 and it took about three days for my ears to adjust to the volume of noise in the atrium area. And it wasn't pleasant noise either. Rhapsody of the Seas was also very noisy in the atrium in the evenings but most of the time the entertainers were an absolutely marvellous band from the Philippines, who played music from all eras. Solstice seemed to mostly have solo female vocalists battling to sing modern songs over overly-loud recorded backing tracks.

The differences between Celebrity and Princess are endlessly debatable as one line is traditional where as the other is contemporary. They both have there benefits and styles that appeal to different people.

As for the Sun class they are far below par even compared to similar aged ships of different cruise lines. Take Oriana with P&O UK for example that ship is far superior to the Sun Princess in all regards given that they are exactly the same physical dimensions yet the Oriana has a much larger areas allocated to passengers than the Sun Princess could ever offer.

I found Golden Princess used the piazza area for loud (and generally naff) entertainment through the day which was really annoying as the IC was always packed so no tables ever available for coffee. I swear some people took their knitting etc and stayed there all day :D

I found Golden Princess used the piazza area for loud (and generally naff) entertainment through the day which was really annoying as the IC was always packed so no tables ever available for coffee. I swear some people took their knitting etc and stayed there all day :D

Or their crossword puzzle books. It was so annoying. We only managed to get a table twice on the cruise. Mostly we had to drink our coffee standing up. Luckily we drink short blacks.

We never had that issue on Sun. The problem with Golden is that the Promenade Bar area is very small compared with Crooners on Sun, so people who would normally sit in Crooners tended to go down to the IC and hog the tables so those who actually bought drinks and/or food from the IC had nowhere to consume them. Just another case of greed - more shops so less public space.

Or their crossword puzzle books. It was so annoying. We only managed to get a table twice on the cruise. Mostly we had to drink our coffee standing up. Luckily we drink short blacks.

We never had that issue on Sun. The problem with Golden is that the Promenade Bar area is very small compared with Crooners on Sun, so people who would normally sit in Crooners tended to go down to the IC and hog the tables so those who actually bought drinks and/or food from the IC had nowhere to consume them. Just another case of greed - more shops so less public space.

I know, so annoying, we could never get a seat on our last two Princess cruise at the cafe/IC, people sat there reading long after they had coffee, on their laptops, playing cards.......saving seats for people that never turned up haha!!

More annoying were those that sat at Crooners at cocktail hour playing cards while there was a pianist playing, isn't there a card room for that!! "Please give me a seat one night so I can enjoy a Martini and the music":rolleyes:

I know, so annoying, we could never get a seat on our last two Princess cruise at the cafe/IC, people sat there reading long after they had coffee, on their laptops, playing cards.......saving seats for people that never turned up haha!!

More annoying were those that sat at Crooners at cocktail hour playing cards while there was a pianist playing, isn't there a card room for that!! "Please give me a seat one night so I can enjoy a Martini and the music":rolleyes:

But what if they want to listen to the music while playing cards?

Some people sit by the pool all day, others by the IC, others in crooners and others still in the Buffet, This is one reason why I like a balcony so that I always have somewhere to sit.:D

Yeah, I guess I am concious of other people needing seats....if it is busy and I have finished my coffee, I get up and offer my seat, if in the buffet and have finished eating and people are wandering around looking for seat I do the same.

Hey I even move down in the show lounge so people don't have to sidle past me to get to the seat that no one moved up for:p

But I always have my little inside cabin to go to and sit on the bed:)

Yeah, I guess I am concious of other people needing seats....if it is busy and I have finished my coffee, I get up and offer my seat, if in the buffet and have finished eating and people are wandering around looking for seat I do the same.

Hey I even move down in the show lounge so people don't have to sidle past me to get to the seat that no one moved up for:p

But I always have my little inside cabin to go to and sit on the bed:)

I am always moving from one area to another or even one activity to another, so never hang around for any real length of time.

They reserve their seats since the crack of dawn like 4am or 5am and work in couple relay pairs going to and from the cabin all day.

I have witnessed this because of a late night to early morning party night where I stayed up to after 4am and witnessed it commence and on another occasion I got up early on a sea day to take some photos with no passengers around and saw them starting to reserve their place then. I made a note of what they looked like and sure enough they had the same place all day long until the time for an evening meal.

They reserve their seats since the crack of dawn like 4am or 5am and work in couple relay pairs going to and from the cabin all day.

I have witnessed this because of a late night to early morning party night where I stayed up to after 4am and witnessed it commence and on another occasion I got up early on a sea day to take some photos with no passengers around and saw them starting to reserve their place then. I made a note of what they looked like and sure enough they had the same place all day long until the time for an evening meal.

chant.jpg.c431ef92a19fc7d33c30895ff5de4bd3.jpg

2007729083_rabbit_with_pancake-4341.jpgc200.jpg.8f194826cd2b87f219f8674868f00e89.jpg