sun or golden princess

HCI

No I was always talking about the full width. If you note earlier posts where people tried to state that the atrium was larger on the Sun class it simply does not make sense which is why I posted photos of the theatre and atrium as well.

Re atriums - I did comment that I was talking about the usable parts of the atriums, where people can walk through, sit or dance.

On deck 7 on Sun, where Crooners is, there is a decent sized dance floor with some seats, plus seats on both sides of the atrium, with windows overlooking the promenade deck. There was always live entertainment in this area, both before and after dinner.

On Golden the Promenade Bar is only on one side. It is slightly larger than the equivalent side of Crooners on Sun and also has windows overlooking the promenade deck. There is no dance floor, of course, because Golden has the Explorers Lounge which was seriously underutilized on our cruise - rarely any live entertainment before dinner apart from evening trivia on some nights. On the other side of the atrium there are shops, so less space (unless you shop) and no windows.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I suggest Brisbane 41 look at the 2 clips on YouTube of a circuit of Golden and of Sun promenades, then admit his error on which is wider. ( or has loungers) Or re- read that everyone so far on this thread but him states the Sun girls are wider.

But he hates the Sun Class so that will never happen

End of my take on this unless I am quoted for no reason again [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been looking a south pacific cruise in April either on the Sun or the Golden Princess

As I have never been on either was wondering which is the better of the two in regards to things to do the state of the ship and any thing else that you wish to comment on

Many Thanks:)

To get back to the original posters question..

heres a site that gives a comprehensive photo tour of both ships.Just scroll down to the Princess ships....

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/shipcafe.htm

Why is it so difficult to understand that a 36 meter wide ship is bigger than a 32 meter wide ship?

Did you fail maths at school?

From point to point the Promenade deck on Golden Princess (and all the Grand class ships) is 36 meters wide.

From point to point the Promenade deck on the Sun Princess (and all the Sun class ships) is 32 meters wide.

I have to comment that your remark about "failing maths" is impolite.

The original mention of promenade referred to the outside area around deck 7 on deck where people can walk. Photos of the deck confirmed that this was the point under discussion. It was also mentioned that lay-down lounges fit comfortably on the promenade on the Sun leaving room for people to walk whereas some other ships lay-down lounges wouldn't fit so they have sit-up chairs.

Now you say: "No I was always talking about the full width."

In this discussion, no-one else was referring to the total width of the ship:(. If that was the case, deck 6, 5, 4, etc. would also be roughly the same width as deck 7, so why would we be referring only to the promenade DECK? :( Surely, if that was the case, we would simply refer to the width of the ship.

I felt the various posts on this topics have been very clear, but you seem to have been confused as to the point under discussion and misunderstood all the other posts and photos. Maybe you have been too busy to read the other posts properly. It is probably time to move on.

So now I need to add a tape measure to my packing list - great!!!!! - how long will that take me!?!? :D

Well if you book on our next Golden cruise.......and then we can do the Sun, I can hold the tape measure for you;):p

Geez, I have been away for the weekend and look at what I have missed:rolleyes:

I have to comment that your remark about "failing maths" is impolite.

Absolutely, which makes him "wrong" in any case as well - by his definition.

Even accepting his questionable claim, it's miscommunication at fault, which is just what it is, not that another person is wrong as he claimed in absolution.

For others, it's a popcorn moment as certain posters never cease to claim everyone else is wrong and only they are right.

Meanwhile the Panda and Mrs Elf can hold our drinksies, while the Welshies record the measurements - that way everyone's a winner!!

Yep, cept the Welshies will get the numbers wrong hahahahaha!!

Do we get a prize for the correct measurements? Lanyard? Drink ,bottle?

So has anyone ever tried to do the math on why the signs on the Prom decks on Dawn say -three times around = 1 mile

and on Emerald they say 2.5 times around = 1 mile

Math nerds please explain cos there I was thinking that Emerald were bigger than Dawn ....

I think I needs a lie down :confused:

So has anyone ever tried to do the math on why the signs on the Prom decks on Dawn say -three times around = 1 mile

and on Emerald they say 2.5 times around = 1 mile

Math nerds please explain cos there I was thinking that Emerald were bigger than Dawn ....

I think I needs a lie down :confused:

Yes Dobby, you need a bed and a good lie down, less times to equal a mile means it is a longer walk.

Look at it this way...

If 1 lap = a mile so the ship is a mile around

And on another ship

2 laps = a mile so the ship is half a mile around.

And another

4 laps = a mile, so a quarter of a mile around.

See more laps equals a smaller ship.

Hope that explains it.

O M G - my head just exploded .... I try to keep it simple for Dobby

I just realised I do know what a mile is but what the hell is a lap?

I was actually trying to work out what "a round" was so now I have to do laps

Cos I am very round so do I just need to walk around myself to do some rounds.

I am so confused now, I am going to bed now for a long lie down.

I hope I am 'around' tomorrow so I can do some 'lap's of the swimming pool

But then again maybe should I stop taking the P15S

So I wake up with a s'mile' :)

This has been very entertaining and confusing. I'm trying to chose between the Sun and Golden.... Actually think (if all the little duckies line up - ie money, leave from work, cruise availability) leaning towards the Sun. Only my second cruise and first cruise was on Celebrity so I know it's gonna be a different ball game. Anyway nearly bedtime, thanks for the entertainment folks!!!

This has been very entertaining and confusing. I'm trying to chose between the Sun and Golden.... Actually think (if all the little duckies line up - ie money, leave from work, cruise availability) leaning towards the Sun. Only my second cruise and first cruise was on Celebrity so I know it's gonna be a different ball game. Anyway nearly bedtime, thanks for the entertainment folks!!!

The Sun Princess will be a huge step down from Celebrity. Golden Princess not so much of a difference.

Actually, she's fairly similar in age and fitout to a number of Celebrity ships. I'd say pretty equivalent.

Celebrity would have nothing like the Sun Princess. Have you checked their fleet lately. The oldest ships they have is their Millennium class which is far superior and larger than the Sun Princess.

Celebrity would have nothing like the Sun Princess. Have you checked their fleet lately. The oldest ships they have is their Millennium class which is far superior and larger than the Sun Princess.

That's what I was referring to. While a bit larger and newer, onboard it's pretty similar to Sun Princess in fitout/condition/furnishings/facilities.

Aside from the Thalassotherapy pool (which the Solstice class doesn't have either) I can't think of anything that Millennium class has that Sun Princess doesn't. And if we're nitpicking details, Sun Princess has the golf studio which Millennium doesn't.