sun or golden princess

HCI

I'm another who has cruised on both, enjoyed them immensely but would choose Golden a million times over if all other things were equal.

The indoor pool is probably the clincher for me but just the overall quality of the ship and the extra choices its size give you are a great bonus.

Plus little things like the dressing area in the cabin and the wind break screens on the upper decks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

That's what I was referring to. While a bit larger and newer, onboard it's pretty similar to Sun Princess in fitout/condition/furnishings/facilities.

Aside from the Thalassotherapy pool (which the Solstice class doesn't have either) I can't think of anything that Millennium class has that Sun Princess doesn't. And if we're nitpicking details, Sun Princess has the golf studio which Millennium doesn't.

I think you are totally wrong and have no clue about the ships of which you are talking about. The Sun Princess is garbage compared to the Millennium class. What absolute garbage.

I think you are totally wrong and have no clue about the ships of which you are talking about. The Sun Princess is garbage compared to the Millennium class. What absolute garbage.

Ahhh that's how you debate someone just revert to abuse.

AAhhh, its ok, somewhere in Aus, a VILLAGE, is about to file a missing person report.

They want that person BACK.:):)

Agreed!

It'll be more peaceful for us once they return to the village [emoji14]

Please don't let that village be in NZ!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

<rofl>

What a crack-up. Thanks for your persuasive argument. I'm sure that's swayed everyone.

:D:D:D:D:D

<rofl>

What a crack-up. Thanks for your persuasive argument. I'm sure that's swayed everyone.

:D:D:D:D:D

I didn't take it seriously. It looked more like a practical joke than serious input. To suggest a ship is good because it has a golf simulator is just plain ludicrous. Given the quality that Celebrity likes to use to appeal to high end customers I cannot fathom how anyone could think an aging mass market ship designed in the late 80's would come anywhere near to equaling a ship designed for a premium cruise line that was designed to enter service around the year 2000 when so much had been learnt about the cruising industry and when all the revolutionary ships were starting to enter service.

I agree, it is hard to tell if someone is serious or not through text.:cool:

Agreed [emoji3]

I wonder if our dear friend would see this ship as superior to princess given their comparison to the m class [emoji6]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2443379

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't take it seriously. It looked more like a practical joke than serious input. To suggest a ship is good because it has a golf simulator is just plain ludicrous. Given the quality that Celebrity likes to use to appeal to high end customers I cannot fathom how anyone could think an aging mass market ship designed in the late 80's would come anywhere near to equaling a ship designed for a premium cruise line that was designed to enter service around the year 2000 when so much had been learnt about the cruising industry and when all the revolutionary ships were starting to enter service.

Thanks for deliberately misinterpreting what was said. I never said "Sun Princess was good because of the golf simulator." I said that they are broadly equivalent, and in fact "if you wanted to be detailed" Sun Princess had that which Celebrity does not. That is all.

Twisting what was said is "plain ludicrous."

As for your next statement "Given the quality that Celebrity likes to use to appeal to high end customers ", you're now basing your argument on marketing. It doesn't even sound like you've even sailed an M-class ship. Your response is still bereft of any justification.

Lastly, you expound on the year built. There were only 5 years difference between the builds so hardly generational difference. I would say, since you don't appear to have any familiarity, that when built Millennium was substantially better. However, with their 'solsticisation' changes of M class they substantially degraded the product, and there is now no longer a great deal of practical difference between those ships.

Our Princess cruises have been mainly on the Sun class, although we have cruised on the Grand (8 weeks), the Diamond (6 weeks) and the Emerald (7 weeks). When we went on a Celebrity cruise we weren't terribly impressed. We felt that compared with Princess, there were some pluses and some minuses, but would not rate it as up-market.

Personally I think Solstice wins over either of the two Princess ships in discussion here but that is just my opinion. I enjoyed the Millennium class though it was pre-solsticization. I am not sure what 'degrading' this has done but would be happy to sail on them again. One of the big plusses for me on X is the AQ with its own dining room (and now suites have their own as well). I am not a huge fan of the MDR experience for dinner and usually we do specialty restaurants if there is no other option.

As to comparing Sun and Golden, I prefer Golden mostly because of the enhanced choices on board.

Personally I think Solstice wins over either of the two Princess ships in discussion here but that is just my opinion. I enjoyed the Millennium class though it was pre-solsticization. I am not sure what 'degrading' this has done but would be happy to sail on them again. One of the big plusses for me on X is the AQ with its own dining room (and now suites have their own as well). I am not a huge fan of the MDR experience for dinner and usually we do specialty restaurants if there is no other option.

As to comparing Sun and Golden, I prefer Golden mostly because of the enhanced choices on board.

I agree with the S class celebrity ships being better than the Golden. The M class ships are comparable and while I preferred the ships prior to the Solsticization, some things really work well and others do not. The things that didn't work are being replaced now anyway.

Our Princess cruises have been mainly on the Sun class, although we have cruised on the Grand (8 weeks), the Diamond (6 weeks) and the Emerald (7 weeks). When we went on a Celebrity cruise we weren't terribly impressed. We felt that compared with Princess, there were some pluses and some minuses, but would not rate it as up-market.

Agreed! We felt that overall Princess had a slight edge over Celebrity but it all comes down to personal taste. We prefer the warm golden-toned elegance of the Princess public areas against the cooler silver-tones of Celebrity, also Celebrity seems noisier for some reason.

Agreed! We felt that overall Princess had a slight edge over Celebrity but it all comes down to personal taste. We prefer the warm golden-toned elegance of the Princess public areas against the cooler silver-tones of Celebrity, also Celebrity seems noisier for some reason.

Basically agree.

There are things on Celebrity that I really liked, but it was noisier and "busier" won't stop me going again.

Only been on one Celebrity Ship, Solstice. What I did like was the menus being marked with allergens, i.e. GF etc. Handy for Coeliacs like me. What I did not like was no wak around promenade deck and all that glass blowing stuff up top, waster space. From memory the library was a non event too, for a ship of that size.

Different ships do give off differing vibes as well, the Diamond Princess has a much better vibe than the Golden and the Caribbean despite being sister ships. Part of this may be down to the number of Passengers and the actual cruise itinerary but most of it is the ship itself, décor and staff etc.