What time do I have to return to my ship?

The ship arrives in Nassau at 7 am and departs at 6 pm. What time do I have to arrive back at the ship? I'm expecting to get to Paradise Island by 4:45, and have to find a land taxi to the cruise port. Are taxis just abundant and ready to go from Paradise Island?

Get back before it leaves!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

All aboard time is usually 30 minutes ahead, do 5:30. Be 100% sure you know what ship time is and what local time is. They are usually the same, but if for some reason they aren't this could be a problem. No idea about the taxis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The other thing you need to consider is getting through port security. If there are a lot of ships in Nassau that day it can take a while. You may be cutting it a bit close with that time frame. The 30 minute before sail away is to be on the ship, not at the port.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

You'll know what time to be aboard when you read the sign posted at the gangway.

Depending on where you are on Paradise Island there are plenty of taxis. Don't take any chances, though. You need to be in that taxi by 4:45. It's not a long way when you're relaxed, but it's like 50 miles when time is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I haven't been to Nassau, but you usually have to be back on board no later than 30 minutes before sail time. Also, be sure there isn't a time difference between the local time and ship time.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

Has ship time and local time ever been different in Nassau? At least for a cruise that originates out of the Eastern US??

We always play safe and back on board 1 hour before sail time

+1 to this. You never know what might happen -- Murphy's Law and all that. There could be a motor vehicle collision, high traffic volume, closed roads, or something else may happen that could delay your return to the ship.

99/100 times it may be fine, but you only have to miss the ship once to regret ever cutting it close. You may become a YouTube star as a pier runner :)

Do you have the location of your Paradise Island landing? That would make a genuine recommendation more likely. There is a ferry docking area that also serves the town pier but it is not adjacent to any of the hotels. You will have to walk to one of the major hotels for an abundance of taxis. The Atlantis is a good 10 - 15 minute walk. There are other hotels that are closer but not by much.

Once across the bridge you have city traffic at a very busy time of day. Then winding your way through the port maze will add a few additional minutes.

If you are exiting your excursion at the old ferry dock and there was not an available ferry I would not be comfortable with a 4:45 docking. If you are docking at a hotel in the area of the Atlantis with easy taxi access then I'd try it.

Where's the link to the long thread about the guy who waited for his son (who was actually already onboard) and missed the ship in Nassau? No passport, limited money, friend's cell phone. Several days later he met up with the ship at another port. Don't. Miss. The. Ship.

To answer your question - it can take forever to get back over the bridge. Play it safe. We left at 3:45.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where's the link to the long thread about the guy who waited for his son (who was actually already onboard) and missed the ship in Nassau? No passport, limited money, friend's cell phone. Several days later he met up with the ship at another port. Don't. Miss. The. Ship.

To answer your question - it can take forever to get back over the bridge. Play it safe. We left at 3:45.

I think you are referring to this story: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2121215

Yes!! I can't believe it was more than 2 years ago.

It's a brilliant cautionary tale that also imparts sound practical advice and tells you what to expect in case you ever end up in that situation. Recommended reading for everyone in my opinion :)

As others have said, one generally MUST be aboard at least 1/2 hour before the departure. There are a number of caveats:

• Occassionally an earlier back aboard time may be required, i.e. more than 1/2 hour before departure. In tendered ports, check for the last tender time.
  • Do NOT rely on times provided in your cruise booking. ALWAYS consult the daily Compass AND listen to the morning announcements for time changes
  • As one exits the ship look for a sign that indicates back aboard time. It is generally at the bottom of the gangway as one steps onto the pier.
  • If you are one minute late, even if you are in sight running down the pier, once the ship has started its departure procedure it will/can not wait. You will almost certainly miss the ship.
  • Ships may leave early, especially when everyone is thought to be aboard.
  • Allow time to clear port entrance security and security screening (some ports do this ashore).
  • In busy ports traffic can be difficult. Check with locals for best return times.
  • Some local times differ from ship times. Arrival, departure, and back aboard times are always given in ship time.

Edited by broberts

Also remember, you will not be the only person trying to get back to the ship or another ship. Lots of people wait till the last minute to leave and there will be lines of people trying to get though the security gate.

If I were you, I'd book a ship's excursion and that way, if you are late, the ship will wait for you.

I have seen people left on shore while the ship departs. Once, I saw a woman being brought to the ship by the pilot boat or another small boat and had to climb the rope ladder to get on the ship, like the pilot does. :eek: Of course they helped her up, but I would have been scared to death. This was many years ago, though. Don't know if they would do that now.

Gwen :)

Get back before it leaves!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Now there is a helpful post. In Nassau, take note of the number of ships in port. The lines to get through security can be pretty long when there is 5 ships in port. You may think getting to the port area 30 minutes before departure was good enough till you hit that line.

Don't assume they will wait for you either. Unless you're a pinnacle member or someone who has spent a ton of money/ owns a suite, they will not wait for you indefinitely.

???????? Good Grief! Are you stating that loyalty status or "Owning" a suite matters when returning to the ship on time? If you are referring to those staying in an Owner's Suite, please be informed that those passengers do not own the suite. That is simply the name attached to that type of accommodation.

I would suspect that those of any C&A level, even the highest Pinnacle level, will abide by the Captain's announcement and be back prior to the ship leaving port.

OP - as others have recommended, please plan to be on board 30-60 minutes prior to the time the ship is scheduled to leave port.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1