Knee Replacement & Security Checkpoint Requirement

hummingbird63

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone has the answer to this question.

I had a total knee replacement 2 years ago and this is the first cruise I've been on since then. My husband I are sailing on the Vista next month and it occurred to me today that I had better check to see if I need some kind of paperwork for security checkpoint purposes. I know years ago when my mother had knee replacement surgery the doctors office provided her with an ID card, but I never received anything like that, perhaps times have changed. I've got a call into my ortho's office and am waiting to hear back from them and want to make sure I provide them with the information I will need. Do I need a letter or ID card, is this going to be an issue when I go to check in for our cruise?

Thanks in advance for the help to this question.

Hi all,

I had a total knee replacement 2 years ago and this is the first cruise I've been on since then. My husband I are sailing on the Vista next month and it occurred to me today that I had better check to see if I need some kind of paperwork for security checkpoint purposes. I know years ago when my mother had knee replacement surgery the doctors office provided her with an ID card, but I never received anything like that, perhaps times have changed. I've got a call into my ortho's office and am waiting to hear back from them and want to make sure I provide them with the information I will need. Do I need a letter or ID card, is this going to be an issue when I go to check in for our cruise?

My wife had both knees replaced 7 years ago. She carried a letter with her to show security...but they always pulled her aside....and checked her knee with their magic wand.

She no longer carries the letter.. tells them both knees replaced ...and it takes 5 seconds to wand her knees....and she's on her way!

Enjoy your cruise!icon7.gif

MIL had the same thing. Forgot about that and she set off the metal detectors. She let them know and they pulled her over to the side and used a wand. No big deal.

How long ago was this? I just called Carnival's member services and was told that if I didn't have an issued ID card to bring a letter and that I would likely need to show it every time I get back on the ship from the ports we stop at. If that's the case, why can't they program that into your onboard card so that you don't have to carry that everywhere you go? I know based on setting the detector off for jury duty at the courthouse that I'm likely to set them off there too.

My wife had both knees replaced 7 years ago. She carried a letter with her to show security...but they always pulled her aside....and checked her knee with their magic wand.

She no longer carries the letter.. tells them both knees replaced ...and it takes 5 seconds to wand her knees....and she's on her way!

Enjoy your cruise!icon7.gif

Yes, I figured they would likely wand my knee and that's fine. I'll request the letter "just in case".

Thanks

How long ago was this? I just called Carnival's member services and was told that if I didn't have an issued ID card to bring a letter and that I would likely need to show it every time I get back on the ship from the ports we stop at. If that's the case, why can't they program that into your onboard card so that you don't have to carry that everywhere you go? I know based on setting the detector off for jury duty at the courthouse that I'm likely to set them off there too.

It was a while back, but I don't see what good a letter will do. They will still need to use the wand to make sure that the metal is in fact coming from your knee(s). Otherwise someone that had metal anywhere in them could still carry a weapon onboard if all they did was look at the letter and wave you through.

It was a while back, but I don't see what good a letter will do. They will still need to use the wand to make sure that the metal is in fact coming from your knee(s). Otherwise someone that had metal anywhere in them could still carry a weapon onboard if all they did was look at the letter and wave you through.

True, I would imagine they will wand me anyway, which I can't say I mind, I'd rather they be proactive with their security measures. I guess that may be additional reinforcement and then again, what one representative says may be very different from another, so who knows if I'm even getting accurate information.

My wife has an artificial knee AND shoulder. When we took our last cruise, back in May, she had absolutely no problem getting though security. They had to hand wand her. She's offered to show them her letter every time we've cruised, but have ALWAYS been told that it was wasn't needed.

True, I would imagine they will wand me anyway, which I can't say I mind, I'd rather they be proactive with their security measures. I guess that may be additional reinforcement and then again, what one representative says may be very different from another, so who knows if I'm even getting accurate information.

Agree. I say if it's not a hassle, get the letter then ask Security onboard if you need to bring it off at each port. If it's too much trouble to get the letter, forget about it. It's not like they aren't going to let you on the ship.

By showing them the letter, you by-pass the magnetic scanner. In my case, I have an ICD (implanted cardiac device). I can't go through the scanner as it will change the settings in the ICD. I show them my card and they have me walk around it, then hand scan me. It eliminates going through the scanner and setting it off.

By showing them the letter, you by-pass the magnetic scanner. In my case, I have an ICD (implanted cardiac device). I can't go through the scanner as it will change the settings in the ICD. I show them my card and they have me walk around it, then hand scan me. It eliminates going through the scanner and setting it off.

Wow, that's kind of scary. I can see in your case for sure! But for simple metal such as joint replacements, I wouldn't think it's such a big deal based on my experiences with my MIL.

It isn't a big deal and a letter from your doctor isn't needed. Just inform the security people and they will hand wand you. Same with pacemakers and other devices implanted. If you want that warm and fuzzy feeling then I would bring the letter.

I have had bilateral knee replacements, and have traveled extensively over the past years since the surgeries. When going through airport security, I tell them up front that I have artificial knees, and have my Biomet cards in hand to prove it, but they never bother looking at them. They just tell me to go through the scanner. As for the cruise, never a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife had a metal pin inserted in her shoulder many years ago when she was a teenager after a diving accident.It's only the last few years that the security checkpoint goes off.Maybe they turned the detection up a notch which were ok with. It still embarrasses her to patted down with the magicwand

Hi all,

We cruised (Vista Transatlantic) in October after my knee replacement on June. I never set off any alarms when I went through ship security upon embarkation nor returning from port. I also never brought any paperwork because my ortho said they can easily be faked by anyone with a computer and printer. I figured the scar on my knee was proof enough but I didn't get to show it to anyone. ;)

With today's computers, anyone can produce a phony doctor's letter, so if you do have a real one, it's pretty much useless.

I have a titanium spinal fusion which doesn't set off the metal detectors, and a cobalt/chromium hip replacement, which usually sets off the embarkation detector but not the detector when re-boarding the ship from a port stop.

It's a very quick wave the wand procedure, with an occasional pat down. I've been delayed less than some people who have pens, phones, keys in their pockets, metal belt buckles, etc.

For airport security, I prefer the scanners rather than the detectors, and with Global Entry and TSA Pre Check, I can usually whiz through most major airport lines.

my husband had complete hip replacement and has never carried any card or letter he just tells them and they use the hand scan. He always kids with them and ask if they want to see his scars. One day they are going to say yes and I think he'll be totally shocked. There have been a couple of times that the alarm didn't even go off.

We cruised (Vista Transatlantic) in October after my knee replacement on June. I never set off any alarms when I went through ship security upon embarkation nor returning from port. I also never brought any paperwork because my ortho said they can easily be faked by anyone with a computer and printer. I figured the scar on my knee was proof enough but I didn't get to show it to anyone. ;)

I agree!

You can carry the letter if you want but if it sets off the alarm, they will still wand her at every entry to the ship (every port). I have an ICD and a medical alert card. All it means is that I bypass the machine but they have to pat me down at every entry to the ship. It's truly no big deal. I was worried the first time,but I've had it done dozens of times. It's quick and painless and they are very respectful. Just roll with the punches.

I haven't cruised since my hip replacement but I have flown. I never bothered with a doctor's letter although I printed up the info card you can download from the TSA website and which they didn't even look at. I always tell them, they want me to go through the scanner anyway, I set off the scanner, they wand only my hip and back (where my TENS pads are), then wave me on. Takes less than 5 minutes all told, including wanding my wheelchair.

Most knee replacements, because of their size and lack of muscle/fat coverage, will set off metal detectors at airports. Other implants or joint replacements may or may not, depending on type and also on the sensitivity setting of the detector. Mine has also set off the detectors when cruising. Letters and/or cards are useless since they can be so easily forged, as has been previously noted. So don't waste your time - security won't look at them.

ICDs fall into a bit of a different category, since they have electronic components, and most security personnel are aware that they can't go through metal detectors.

I've both flown and cruised quite a bit since getting the new knee. I just warn the security personnel when I get to the detector, and am then wanded and patted down. It's quick and easy.

Have had a total knee replacement for over 5 years - have been through countless security checkpoints, never had a letter, never asked for one. If you go through the 'full body scanner' at airports, then no wanding is required. If you go through the metal detector, then they will wand you and probably will also pat you down. Going on ships, it's been about 50/50 whether it sets off the detector or not. If it does, it's a very quick pat down or wand.