Hoopster on HARMONY, Jan 7-14 2017 REVIEW w/lots of photos

Grease was fully packed this evening... not only by reservations but I feel since the weather was turning ugly and Fine-Line cancelled, many other cruisers perhaps came inside and waited as stand-by thus filling up the theatre... which made for a great atmosphere!

P1070631_zpsbbdsfqna.jpg

What an excellent cast, fantastic acting and superb singing. I mentioned in my intro post how fantastic Columbus: the Musical was also with this same cast, can't say enough. By a very very wide margin, the best overall cast of entertainers on any ship I have ever seen.

P1070634_zpslhitheku.jpg

P1070636_zpse0exq94p.jpg

P1070644_zpsxukuby71.jpg

You guys all know the story and songs, so no need explaining anything. Just know that it's a must see and very well done.

The extra caffeine kick we got earlier in the Diamond Lounge was starting wear off but we wanted to hang out and enjoy the night time events for a little while at least. There was lots going on, and venues were quite busy. Looking up at Schooner Bar (piano) and inside the pub (soloist), quite full. Gf and I both love latin dancing so we wanted to check out Boleros right away that night... this became our go-to bar and venue in the evenings, not only because of the music but the bar servers are totally awesome here. As we got to know them through the cruise, it didn't matter who served us on any given night, all three of them would wave or come over and say hi to us. Props to Kadek, Anna and Marco!! Plus this place is hopping with some great dancers and many standing room only crowd looky loos staring in from the promenade maybe a little intimidated to give salsa or merengue a shot!

P1070647_zpsw0c4n3td.jpg

The band went on a break so we took off to check out what else was up, we easily went down the stairs immediately in front of Boleros to deck 4 and went in to check out Jazz on 4. This is another very cool venue and the 3 piece band was entertaining and funny. Truthfully there is soooo much to do on this ship that regretfully this was the only night we visited Jazz on 4, but it's impossible to do everything on Oasis Class

P1070654_zpsgv9o8ore.jpg

That was it for Day 1... We were fighting sleep sitting there in Jazz on 4 so we decided to call it a night.

Here is the cruise compass to download and zoom into if you wish.

This'll be it for tonight folks... I'll start day 2 tomorrow.

G'night

P1070620_zpsqulso3v5.jpg

P1070621_zpsv1b2vvti.jpg

P1070622_zpsfbwtppvx.jpg

P1070623_zpsly0lwt52.jpg

P1070624_zps3hy19nye.jpg

P1070625_zpsdvqptxho.jpg

Edited by Hoopster95

I'll mention here that the bed for this cabin is by the balcony. I also know that this cabin is only for two occupants. On the other side is cabin 10729 and the bed there was farther back by the bathroom. That cabin is more than two occupancy and I did see two small kids there with parents. I'm wondering if that determines the bed locations (ie. pullmans or pullout).
It is my understanding that the location of the bed/sofa alternates from your cabin to the next along the hall, and so forth. I believe that most of the standard cabins are built with two cabins as one unit. I know I saw pictures of the ocean-view balcony cabin "units" being "inserted" from outside of the ship while Harmony was being built. Not sure how they installed the neighborhood cabins - possibly raising or lowering them with a crane.

On the Oasis and Allure, many people preferred to have the bed AWAY from the bathroom end of the cabin, because it was easier to access the closet if it was next to the couch instead of the bed. Therefore, the "rule" I often saw posted on CC, was to locate a pair of connecting cabins on the deck plan. Pretend you are in the hall, facing the doors to those cabins. The one on the right is the "right" cabin to choose if don't want the bed next to the closet. From there, every other cabin will be a "right" one.

The new closet design on Harmony eliminates the cramped access to it. So now, which room design will be "right" for you? You can still make the choice, using the old "rule". If you want the bed closer to the bathroom, choose a room that corresponds to the alternating right-hand cabin of a connecting pair. If you want the bed closer to the balcony, choose one from the left-hand series.

In spite of the cramped access to the closet on the Oasis, my daughter and I chose to have the bed closer to the bathroom last year. We really enjoyed having our "sitting room" next to the balcony. We're looking forward to our second Central Park balcony - this time on the Harmony in ten days - and to having the new closet arrangements.

Finding your review very enjoyable and informative. Thanks!

I thought you had a CP balcony? You should be fine!;) I hear the CP balconies are very peaceful and quiet. DH and I are in the farthest aft BW balcony on Deck 12; we have had that same balcony on the Allure and slept as well as we do anywhere when not in our own comfy beds!:rolleyes: If you're concerned about it, take ear plugs just in case. And no, I do not have any hearing loss (yet).:o

I was sure it was cp but I checked yesterday and for sure it's boardwalk. Usually I can sleep through a hurricane, being from south Florida! Meet you there!

Gwynnyth

I was sure it was cp but I checked yesterday and for sure it's boardwalk. Usually I can sleep through a hurricane, being from south Florida! Meet you there!

Gwynnyth

Yep, it's a BW balcony but I wouldn't be concerned about it. I think we are high enough that we won't hear much, if any, boardwalk noise at night.:rolleyes: Looking forward to meeting you on board!:cool:

I noticed you mentioned the 'Drink Card', is this the 10 drink punch card that has been offered on other ships? Do you recall which night it is offered and what the cost was?

Great review!

Thx ValerieJo :)

Re the drink card... was made available on day 6 (Labadee). I had not noticed this was available until we had got back on the ship mid-afternoon. If it was available in the early morning I didn't make a point of looking for it and it would've been nice to have it out on Labadee, but for the record I did not see anyone at all with a card out there and we went to the bar a couple of times to use our soda package... figured we would've noticed others with it.

Here's the card info available mid-day 6... you pay the 18% garrulity up front so it's $59 + 18% immediately on your Seapass account (rather than each check as per the sign). We purchased one and shared it as a couple, finishing it off late night #7 dancing into the late hours and enjoying our final night. We drank several $13 drinks (incl our fave Coconut Mojito in Boleros) and they did not charge us the extra $1 as I believe the card is to be used for any drinks up to $12... then again, we loved the Boleros servers and being there most of the week they may have just not bothered taking my Seapass on each order (like I do in the Diamond Lounge, I did tip them extra $1 per drink so that could account for that also)

By the way, I'll have what I feel was both interesting and disturbing 100% fact about how wages & tipping work for the staff on board later on in this review.

P1122019_zpstnrc9i61.jpg

P1122020_zpsrktoggd6.jpg

Edited by Hoopster95

Thx ValerieJo :)

Re the drink card... was made available on day 6 (Labadee). I had not noticed this was available until we had got back on the ship mid-afternoon. If it was available in the early morning I didn't make a point of looking for it and it would've been nice to have it out on Labadee, but for the record I did not see anyone at all with a card out there and we went to the bar a couple of times to use our soda package... figured we would've noticed others with it.

Day SIX!? I've heard Day 4 and 5, but Day 6 is so late....

Day SIX!? I've heard Day 4 and 5, but Day 6 is so late....

And on Adventure in Aug it was offered on day 3 for $85 + 18% grats.

Like specialty restaurant deals, spa deals and many other promos, I figure the hotel director and management on board has the autonomy to offer deals when they please and if they feel necessary.

Hi Claudio!!! So awesome to read one of your wonderful reviews!!!! Hope you had a great time!!! Love the pictures too!! Can't wait to read on!

Debbie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Debbie is in the house!!!!!! So cool to hear from you, thank you for posting and saying hi. How the heck are you? I really hope the whole gang is well. So when's the next sailing you're going to magically appear on at the check-in line when I'm sailing just like Radiance? lol! Please say hello to Phil and the "posse" for me for me :D

Day 2 events & schedule:

• Touring more of the ship
  • Escape the Rubicon Puzzle Break
  • Chops
  • 1887: A Journey in Time (Ice Show)

Well, according to our original Eastern itinerary, we should've been sailing into Nassau at 7am this morning, but instead we're out at sea heading to St. Marten to stay away from stormy seas and inclement weather. Unfortunately the seas were a little rough (barf bags out a couple of days) and the weather was not great with cool temperatures, windy and periods of rain mixed in every once in a while.

For the record, due to the reported bad weather and 6-8 meter seas in the Bahamas (as reported by Captain Johnny) our original Eastern became a make-shift Western as follows:

Jan 7, Day 1 - FLL

Jan 8, Day 2 - at sea (originally Nassau)

Jan 9, Day 3 - at sea (originally at sea)

Jan 10, Day 4 - St Marten (originally St. Thomas)

Jan 11, Day 5 - San Juan (originally St Martin)

Jan 12, Day 6 - Labadee (originally at sea)

Jan 13, Day 7 - at sea (originally at sea)

Also for the record, on the All Access Tour on the last day we were told that Harmony ended up encountering 8.5 meter swells anyways. Barf bags were out a couple of occasions at the stairs. Gf had a great time marveling at the line of cruisers walk through the Promenade as everyone stumbled slightly to the left then to the right in unison as the ship moved.

I guess the last two days of wicked travel and then enjoying a full on day of the ship kicked us in the butt pretty good as we slept in, and as I opened the balcony door to check out the weather I was greeted by clouds and cool'ish weather.

P1080670_zps2csncchc.jpg

Taken from the very aft edge of the balcony, the first pic above you can really see how unobstructed the Aqua Theatre is from the Abyss... or is it?? Simply step back a step or two or just look a few degrees to the left and this is the view

P1080671_zpsuhalmrfr.jpg

I looked down to check out any early morning activity on the Boardwalk and remembered that Johnny Rockets makes made to order breakfast on Oasis Class (mental note for tomorrow). But for now, what to do today? Tanning, pool, Florider, slides we were not into in this weather so at breakfast I checked the Royal IQ ap to see if we can sneak into the Puzzle Break... sure enough the only afternoon spot available showed up at 1pm so I immediately booked it.

P1080675_zpsbwbqpy4b.jpg

P1080674_zpskws958wt.jpg

For those of you who have not seen or used the Royal IQ ap yet, it's is super easy to use. Your entire schedule is on there, and you can import anything from the compass (trivia, etc) to your calendar so that you can keep track of the important things you want to make sure you see and do

P1080677_zpssj7z0aea.jpg

P1080676_zpssgahjkyw.jpg

Heading back to our cabin to change after breakfast and decide what to do for a couple of hours before the Puzzle Break, I realized we hadn't viewed Dazzles so we made our way to take a look around

P1080688_zpsduzmt0us.jpg

From our balcony, we saw many weddings during the week being held in here, and most nights there was live band with dancing (ie. a "Centrum-style" 3 or 4 piece band like on Radiance ships in the Centrum).

P1080686_zpsfdabrh7r.jpg

P1080684_zpsvvfip4wh.jpg

It's a very nice room, but the ship is so large no one can spend any legitimate time in every single venue, and this venue I never stepped into again the entire cruise as our dancing/nightlife was taken up in Boleros and The Attic nightclub. The view out the windows of the Boardwalk is fabulous!

P1080683_zpsqvz0vvdr.jpg

P1080682_zpsikul6cdx.jpg

P1080680_zpsxjkcxdpr.jpg

Debbie is in the house!!!!!! So cool to hear from you, thank you for posting and saying hi. How the heck are you? I really hope the whole gang is well. So when's the next sailing you're going to magically appear on at the check-in line when I'm sailing just like Radiance? lol! Please say hello to Phil and the "posse" for me for me :D

Lol!! Looks like we are just missing each other... We were on Harmony in November and I see you are on the Jewel just before us for Med cruise! 😂😂 Everyone is doing good and they said HI HOOPSTER!!! 😊 Best wishes!!

Lol!! Looks like we are just missing each other... I see you are on the Jewel

Aaaagh!:eek: .... Do you feel like switching? ;)

If you remember in the CL I hung out with Merion_mom and Laura quite a bit on Quantum? Well it's Laura's anniversary (20th or 25th... can't remember now!! oops :eek:) this Sept so she and DH booked the b2b as well to celebrate! Join us... we can have a Quantum reunion :D

Have a great cruise!

I don't know about you, but I've seen a gazillion pictures of Central Park, so I won't bore you with many here... a few more later during the night as it's way prettier. The gloomy cloudy and somewhat windy/drizzly day makes Central Park seem a little gray but it's still beautiful to walk through as much as possible when you have the chance to do so. Gf loved walking through the Trellis path and alongside the Living Wall.

P1080716_zpsssrcmq2d.jpg

P1080692_zpszil9cpwm.jpg

Vintages was open so we peered in there to check it out. Gf is a wine enthusiast so this venue peaked her interest, me not so much. I think next time for the experience I'd love to try one of their classes (they had a couple of different ones during the cruise) and do the tapas menu for dinner

P1080698_zps4scwufrv.jpg

This venue is really nice inside with a very cool bar and a great selection of high end wines... just swipe your seapass and pour! Fyi, some of these wines are offered at huge dollars for example $16 for 4oz, $24 6oz, etc

P1080700_zpsixutldzo.jpg

P1080702_zpsjvtzmko1.jpg

P1080706_zpst3hvq4oi.jpg

We made our way through the Park on one side, then walked back through the other side, winding our way through past the luxury shops and Trellis Bar back around to the center of the Park between the Park Cafe and Jamie's, and finally stopping to take a look through Chops, taking various pictures along the way

P1080713_zpsjebzoh3z.jpg

P1080714_zpstxxmgfcm.jpg

Like on Oasis (and I assume Allure) yo'll find this 1 foot diameter emblem embedded dead center in the pathway between Park Cafe and Jamie's

P1080720_zpsv4rjbsl4.jpg

Chop's was open for viewing. They have a nice outdoor seating area... the glass did not protect from winds or cool air and these seats were empty on several nights even though Chops was jammed packed inside, there was no way anyone would be eating out there with the weather we had.

P1080725_zpsvm8gdxqe.jpg

Chops is really nice inside, my pictures don't do it justice.We have dinner here this evening so we were really looking forward to it.

P1080725_zpsvm8gdxqe.jpg

P1080728_zpsj6ect1j8.jpg