Emerald a HUGE disappointment

heddyjan

I took one whiff of that stuff and about lost it right there. People eat that stuff??? Apparently they do. :eek:

Some do. Miss Gut lived on the stuff when she was little, even now puts it on half an inch thick, I use way less. Just a smear.

Aussies are a hardy breed.

They do seem to make some darned good shipmates though despite their unusual culinary choices. :D

:D:D:D

My middle son got to "enjoy" being tased twice in CHP academy. Once was required and the second time they needed someone for a demo and nobody else was volunteering (having already experienced the earlier mandatory zap) so he did it.

Thankfully I didn't have to carry one in my career in the force, just capsicum spray:p got myself a few times:rolleyes:

" It puts a rose in every cheek" remember that ad?

My husband hates vegemite, I loved Promite as a kid, a lot sweeter.

Sure do remember that ad.

I like it on HOT toast, lots of butter (or butter substitute) and just a scrape of Vegemite, I prefer Strawberry jam.

I took one whiff of that stuff and about lost it right there. People eat that stuff??? Apparently they do. :eek:

Actually it's very good for a queasy tummy - one of the few things I can eat under those circumstances. It's very rich in B vitamins.

Actually it's very good for a queasy tummy - one of the few things I can eat under those circumstances. It's very rich in B vitamins.

I know that Brewer's yeast is good for you which is what Vegemite is a by product of. It tastes good and is rich because of MSG - a natural form. I know people from different countries enjoy different things. It might make a good base for soup for me, but I don't know, I can't get past the smell. :rolleyes:

I know that Brewer's yeast is good for you which is what Vegemite is a by product of. It tastes good and is rich because of MSG - a natural form. I know people from different countries enjoy different things. It might make a good base for soup for me, but I don't know, I can't get past the smell. :rolleyes:

I know......I remember watching American TV shows as a child and wondering what Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were:confused:

In Oz it is jam, jelly is something we have in a bowl with icecream:p

Re vegemite, back in the day vegemite was stirred into hot water for a "beef" soup, I know some people use a teaspoon stirred through gravy for a richer flavour......perhpas that is where the little packets went on the Emerald, the chef was making gravy:p

I know some people use a teaspoon stirred through gravy for a richer flavour......perhpas that is where the little packets went on the Emerald, the chef was making gravy:p

My mother used to do that, to add colour and flavour.

I know......I remember watching American TV shows as a child and wondering what Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were:confused:

In Oz it is jam, jelly is something we have in a bowl with icecream:p

In the USA:

After the initial cooking, jelly is strained through a muslin stockinette or “jelly bag” to remove any solids. Jam is a thick spread made from fruit juice, chopped, crushed, or puréed fruit, and sugar.

In the USA:

After the initial cooking, jelly is strained through a muslin stockinette or “jelly bag” to remove any solids. Jam is a thick spread made from fruit juice, chopped, crushed, or puréed fruit, and sugar.

Thanks caribill.......so no lumps:p

Is smooth or crunchy peanut butter preferred with it?

We had peanut butter and honey sandwiches growing up, so similar in the sweet n salty taste.

All the posters who have seen people drop food or tongs and put them back on the tray.... did you tell someone so they could remove it? 2x we have seen disgusting things (different ships) and told someone. They didn't seem to be as mortified as we were or as quick as we would have thought to remedy the situation but they ultimately removed the offending item.

Agree. If you watch and see please act.

let the staff know. How hard is that?

No packets of Vegemite on Diamond last week. A big jar with a spoon. Oh dear. Never thought of anyone licking the spoon.......:(

I saw a woman in the buffet on the Golden once sampling salad dressings with her finger :eek:. A staff member just shrugged when I told him. I suppose they want to see them in the act before throwing out several large containers of salad dressing.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Agree. If you watch and see please act.

let the staff know. How hard is that?

Yep, fully agree with you. But when the staff show no interest - or do not understand your concern, is reason to be worried.

I am amazed by the increase in noro that is being declared on ships at the moment :eek:

It's not but also letting the offending person know would be an even better approach.

They hopefully might not do it again.

Almost every cruise I have been on I have seen people displaying signs of some stage of Alzheimer's. Rushing onto an elevator before people get off and having a blank look on their face, maybe testing the salad dressing with their fingers or any other form of rude behaviour. Cruises are likely a rather attractive vacation choice for the afflicted persons spouse or family. Another reason why the buffet should be avoided. Staff members must see plenty and choose not to act on it because it would it would only cause them grief. If anyone thinks a staff member is going to confront a passenger for poor buffet manners they are mistaken. There job is far more secure by choosing not to get involved. "I see nothing Attitude".

Everyone's first clue is that they have people at the entrances encouraging people to sanitize their hands. These same people who have been shamed into sanitizing their hands are now turned loose in the buffet and expected to do the right things. Not likely....

Thanks caribill.......so no lumps:p

Is smooth or crunchy peanut butter preferred with it?

We had peanut butter and honey sandwiches growing up, so similar in the sweet n salty taste.

Yum. Chunky peanut butter. :) If you like the peanut butter and honey mix try peanut butter and bananas. Don't mix them - just spread the peanut butter and slice the banana on top of it.

I greatly prefer jam (or preserves!) to jelly. I tried Vegemite once and that was enough for me. :D

Yum. Chunky peanut butter. :) If you like the peanut butter and honey mix try peanut butter and bananas. Don't mix them - just spread the peanut butter and slice the banana on top of it.

I greatly prefer jam (or preserves!) to jelly. I tried Vegemite once and that was enough for me. :D

I adore a sandwich or a roll of peanut butter and a sliced banana. So delicious.

Jennie