Emerald a HUGE disappointment

heddyjan

You probably don't want to think about what else goes into those wall mounted soap dispensers in the shower besides soap. :eek:

Sorry, couldn't stop myself from posting...

I never use them. BYO.

Kinda like the guy I saw in the buffet line taking shrimp with his fingers, eating them and double dipping them in the main container of cocktail sauce, licking his fingers off and doing it again.

The Captain?:)

For fellow peanut butter lovers I have a recommendation if you ever sail to Hilo, Hawaii. Go to the open market downtown and buy all the coconut peanut butter you can afford.

Oh my! New concept to me - coconut peanut butter. That must be wonderful. Must get some. If I need to do a Hawaiian cruise to get it, I'll just have to suck it up and do that.

We will be on the Emerald this coming Saturday. When we were on her last in 2012, cruising from Quebec to New York, we thought she was a lovely ship. We very rarely eat in the buffet, having our breakfast in the dining room and lunch in the International Café but I do like vegemite with my toast. From my memory, when having breakfast there and you ask for vegemite, the steward usually puts a dob out of the jar onto your plate or else brings the small containers. Hopefully, that will be the same next week otherwise I won't be having any vegemite until we return home.

Jennie

Kinda like the guy I saw in the buffet line taking shrimp with his fingers, eating them and double dipping them in the main container of cocktail sauce, licking his fingers off and doing it again.

Sad that one isn't allowed to simply use a taser on these folks. Not only "might" they learn something but it could provide a bit of entertainment for the other passengers.

Oh my! New concept to me - coconut peanut butter. That must be wonderful. Must get some. If I need to do a Hawaiian cruise to get it, I'll just have to suck it up and do that.

You can order it online. I know Amazon has it and likely there are multiple online options.

I tell th estaff every time I see anything.

The kid with the cookie- they disposed of a few dozen cookies in the trash.

The woman with the tongs- immediately replaced.

In both cases I would have said something to the individual but they were at a distance & left.

Great! Some people would just go on and not say something. On our last cruise while I was getting my food in the Horizon Court my dh saw a man sitting at our table (we were sharing) open up the pepper shaker. He said the holes are too small. He took off the cap and instead of pouring what he wanted into his hand he stuck his finger inside the shaker to get whatever stuck to his finger. My dh told him that was unsanitary but he did not care. When we were finished eating my dh told me to wait a few minutes. After this person left the table he asked a waiter for a manager. He had to tell the manager 3x what happened and why they needed to get rid of the pepper shaker and clean it. Surprising that a so called manager would be so unconcerned. Anyways... my guess is this passenger was probably doing this everyday :(

Another time an elderly man did not like the potatoes that his travel companion put on his plate so he took his hands and picked them all up and threw them back on the buffet. My dh had to tell a guy behind the counter what happened. It took him a few minutes (more than what it would have taken us) to take the whole tray of food off the buffet.

Edited by dickinson

Moral of the story is Don't go to the buffets!

We avoid them like the plague for all of the reasons that have been discussed here and more. We have done breakfasts more often BUT never a dinner!

If you don't do buffets at home, so don't do them on a cruise.

Happy Cruising and our next cruise is on the Emerald!

Moral of the story is Don't go to the buffets!

We avoid them like the plague for all of the reasons that have been discussed here and more. We have done breakfasts more often BUT never a dinner!

If you don't do buffets at home, so don't do them on a cruise.

Happy Cruising and our next cruise is on the Emerald!

We eliminate most of the problems from the slobs by hitting the buffets when it opens.....before anyone gets the chance to contaminate any of the food.

We very seldom ever go to the buffet for the very reasons that have been stated. Over the years we have found that a lot of people don't have much of a clue about hygiene or sometimes much of anything for that matter. i remember one time we were having breakfast in the MDR with couple and the woman asked me how much it cost to have dinner in the MDR because they didn't like eating dinner in the buffet. I asked her for her cruise card and I showed her where and when they could have dinner in the MDR. We still laugh about that.

Been on the Emerald 3 times now and it is a great ship with great crew. As for the buffet issues, yes I have experienced things like that in the buffet and said something to a server or of the people behind the serving centers and it was taken care of. As an aside, I have seen the same behavior hotel breakfast buffets as well as at dinner buffets. Guess people like that are everywhere.

Wow, all these incidents...Not supporting them one bit, but they likely happen more often on land. And, I'm not sure I've seen much of any impact. No doubt it's not sanitary, but I guarantee you that double dipping happens several times at about any well attended party. If you see this behavior at a buffet, what makes one think this doesn't happen elsewhere?

Either avoid the buffet, or live with it. (of course who really knows what goes on in all these kitchens.:eek:)

R E L A X.

I do have to wonder if they ran out of the packets of Vegemite and peanut butter due to people taking them - as the OP says was done with the tea bags.

Personally, if I saw some kid lick the spoon and return it to the jar I would have spoken up and reprimanded the child - loudly so that other passengers and staff noticed what had been done. I don't care if the parents don't like it. I also would have taken the jar and insisted that the staff deal with the issue.

Agree 100%. I would also speak up right away. If I took a child to a buffett, and I have, I always accompany the child. No matter what manners they are taught they are children and sometimes don't think. (Although same could be said for some adults, lol)

Currently on the Emerald Princess - New Zealand.

While New Zealand ports are great the shipboard experience is not.

The food is awful the buffet is sub-standard and I've had to buy my own peanut butter, vegemite, margarine and green tea bags. The green tea bags keep getting stolen, by passengers. The vegemite, peanut paste and margarine are in the buffet in open jars and I saw a kid lick a spoon and put in back. Does anybody care .... no !!

The entertainment is woeful and the cruise entertainment staff are amateurs.

I'm not a celebrity but get me outta here.

The only good thing are the service crew who are, as usual, magnificent.

Would NOT recommend this ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you cruise often? I've seen worse things done at the buffet stations that probably would send you reeling. Why didn't you take the jar of peanut butter and give it to a crew member and tell them what happened? Furthermore I would have asked the kid WTH he thought he was doing? See something say something and I do. I can't say what the food was like on your cruise because I wasn't there. We quit going to the shows many cruises ago as we did find them to be no better than high school theatrics. DH likes MUTS and if the movie is good, we'll plan to see a movies instead.

We must a been on the same cruise. Saw a woman stick a pineapple slice in her mouth with half of it sticking out. She walked around the buffet working that piece of pineapple over then she placed it on the counter of the buffet! I asked her if she did that at home.:eek:

I guess instances cited does not happen on the Emerald only. Princess needs to address these.

They can only address it if you tell them right then and there which I do. I also point out the perp. Saw a woman take the whole bowl of fruit from the buffet line. She took it to her table of eight people and with their chopsticks dug in. A woman complained to the crew and the chef himself came out to the table and took the bowl and told them it wasn't allowed. So, it's not the cruise lines place to teach people proper etiquette, it's up to us passengers who find things that are abhorrent and do something about it. Licking the fingers at the table drives me nuts! So, I end up saying "Have you ever had noro virus and do you know how you get it?" Sometimes I get the deer in the head light look. ;)

We must a been on the same cruise. Saw a woman stick a pineapple slice in her mouth with half of it sticking out. She walked around the buffet working that piece of pineapple over then she placed it on the counter of the buffet! I asked her if she did that at home.:eek:

Disgusting. :(

I took one whiff of that stuff and about lost it right there. People eat that stuff??? Apparently they do. :eek:

Aussies are a hardy breed.

They do seem to make some darned good shipmates though despite their unusual culinary choices. :D

I love it! Reminds me of the "Don't taze me bro" video on youtube. :D

My middle son got to "enjoy" being tased twice in CHP academy. Once was required and the second time they needed someone for a demo and nobody else was volunteering (having already experienced the earlier mandatory zap) so he did it.

I don't remember what ship it was on but I saw a kid drop a cookie & pick it up only to put it back on the tray and take another one.

Also on the last Royal trip a woman dropped the tongs for the rolls & then just put them back on the counter.

I guess they do the same thing at home. :rolleyes:

Whats the matter, never heard of the 5 second rule?