Is it just us noticing new cruises prices have gone crazy

justfred

We paid $850/person for our April 2017 Liberty cruise in March '16. Shortly after that the price moved up to the $1350 range per person for a balcony and hasn't budged much (interior guarantee have come down though). I think that Easter and Passover overlapping in April definitely is driving April demand. Lots of school vacations..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise lines can charge whatever they want. You can decide to pay that if you want.

If they cannot sell the ship out at the price they are charging, they will lower the price. If they do sell the ship out at that price, the price will not go down.

They are a for profit company, not a charity. They have no interest in giving away anything for less money than they can extract from everyone.

If they could charge $5000 a day for a cruise and people would pay it, then they would charge that amount.

It always amazes me when people complain about the price of something and compare what they paid for the service/item previously and wonder why the price went up.

I Think that you could be right, they are charging what ever they feel that people will be preraired to pay. its a bit like an auction really, but let them not kid themselves the newer ships carry in excess of 5000 passengers on each ship and that is a lot of cabins to fill every week, they might win in the short term but let them understand that most cruisers in general will not accept being ripped off and will seek alternative vacations and when that happens the greedy cruise lines will have one hell of a job gettig them back..

Is that EACH!!

No sorry, I just double checked and should qualify my statement.

We paid £4,600 for two weeks last year for 3 people in a balcony room.

That works out about £110 per person per night.

The cruise we booked yesterday was £3,000 for 6 nights on Navigtor leaving 19th Aug for 3 people in a balcony. Which is £142 per person per night.

:eek:

I think the price increases are somewhat in line with other travel industry increases...have you been following the Disney world ticket prices over the past few years? They have really skyrocketed too...and it's still plenty crowded and the up sells are doing well too...

I think the price increases are somewhat in line with other travel industry increases...have you been following the Disney world ticket prices over the past few years? They have really skyrocketed too...and it's still plenty crowded and the up sells are doing well too...

I was looking at a Sandals and it was over 2k per person for a week, but good thing is that does cover everything and no tipping, I paid about the same for GS with drink pacakge

I noticed that as well. Being young with kids, mortgage, etc, we take a cruise every few years. Our latest has taken a good year to get one with a price I was OK with paying. Every cruise offer ("deals" according to RCCL or Carnival) amounted to $4,000+ for 2 adults/2 kids for an interior. Just poking around after Christmas one came up for a very cheap price on top of kids free and 3rd night free, had to take it!

Edited by young_ens

WE love to cruise but have noticed in the last couple years that most of the " Cruise Deals" offered by the line seems to not reward the loyalty of Crown & Anchor members. Many deals that are now offered one to two hundred dollars off for anyone booking but is NOT combinable with C&A. So after 56 cruises I can book a jr. suite, get $200.00 instance savings off but wait ,I can't use my 250.00 Diamond Plus discount. So after being loyal for many years I get a big $50.00 savings using my C&A and not the instance savings. Bob

WE love to cruise but have noticed in the last couple years that most of the " Cruise Deals" offered by the line seems to not reward the loyalty of Crown & Anchor members. Many deals that are now offered one to two hundred dollars off for anyone booking but is NOT combinable with C&A. So after 56 cruises I can book a jr. suite, get $200.00 instance savings off but wait ,I can't use my 250.00 Diamond Plus discount. So after being loyal for many years I get a big $50.00 savings using my C&A and not the instance savings. Bob

But not all 56 were on Royal, correct?

I was checking prices for June/July (before school's break up) on Indy or Navigator. They wanted over 3K for just me in an ocean view. Too rich for my taste. I'm hanging on for a late deal or else it's a land based trip for me in the summer.

I agree, but it's all cruise lines. I used to try to book for a daily price of $100 per day/per person or less. Now, I try to keep as close to $100 as I can.

We have 3 cruises booked right now:

Ocean view on NCL = $106

Ocean view on Princess = $139

D3 on RCCL = $135

However, the cruises above have a lot of promos and obc from the cruise lines and Costco included to soften the blow.

NCL includes $75 obc, 5 specialty dinners for 2, and a $200 credit for shore excursions.

Princess includes free tips and $915 obc.

RCCL includes $120 Costco card, free specialty dinner, free Johnny Rockets, free soda packages, $50 beverage credit.

Edited by pcur

The perception is, the economy is better, so now they're demanding a bigger piece of the pie. Best bet is to book early, and check weekly for price drops, as you can re-book as much as you need prior to final payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the original poster asked. Are they trying to get rid of us oldies. I would say yes they do because most oldies except the world, complain about almost everything and don't spend much.

Now before you jump on my case, I said most oldies not all. We are not total oldies at 62, but we spend and never complain about anything. It's a vacation. There's more to complain about back home. We are just thankful we can cruise when so many can't. And as alway's no one is forcing anyone to pay the prices they charge or for anything else. Don't like it, do something else. Maybe vacation on Route 66, stay at a Motel 6 for $39.99 and you'll be happier...plus, they'll leave the light on for you.

I have noticed the same thing! Also, I'm getting very inpatient with the non-release of the May 2018 and beyond cruise schedules for RCCL. Carnival has itineraries available through April 2019, Norwegian through May 2020, Celebrity April 2019, Princess December 2018.... C'Mon Royal!! I want to plan my summer 2018 vacation!!!

The new calendar will come in March.

In the OP's case part of the increase in prices would be the substancial drop in the pound compared to the US$ in the last year.

The only thing that could explain that drop is BREXIT. I'm sure that will go the other way with Dump as President. Be patient.

We paid $850/person for our April 2017 Liberty cruise in March '16. Shortly after that the price moved up to the $1350 range per person for a balcony and hasn't budged much (interior guarantee have come down though). I think that Easter and Passover overlapping in April definitely is driving April demand. Lots of school vacations..

LOL, always. My wife and I are fortunate to not have to worry about kids. We've taken all of our nieces and nephews on cruises and the one I did on Adventure of the Seas over July 4 weekend in 2009. We just came off Jewel of the Seas last week and we paid $2600 for 3. While aboard I booked her again for 4/29/18 and the base price for the same cabin class on deck 4 was $2200. With the onboard incentives the price comes out at $900 PP including insurance. Usually you get better prices on the older ships and, frankly, Jewel of the Seas is beautiful, the service was great and the food was excellent in the MDR and at the lunch buffet. The Indian selection of the day (with steamed rice) were amazing. One day they had a mutton curry that I ate about a pound of. I can't wait to go back.

As others said as long as they are sailing full, prices go up... Then they are still cheaper then 30 years ago. A lot!

Really? Waaaaaaaaaaay back in 1981 when RCCL had exactly THREE ships we booked our first cruise with the company aboard the Nordic Prince.

The itinerary was two weeks out of Miami and consisted of 8 ports: Ocho Rios, Curacao, La Guaira, Fort de France, Bridgetown, St. Thomas, Santo Domingo, and Port au Prince.

We were in the next-to-most expensive outside (no balcony, of course) cabin you could get located on the Promenade Deck.

The cost was $1970 so please, stop with the "it's cheaper now" routine.

Edited by Bootman4U

As the original poster asked. Are they trying to get rid of us oldies. I would say yes they do because most oldies except the world, complain about almost everything and don't spend much.

Now before you jump on my case, I said most oldies not all. We are not total oldies at 62, but we spend and never complain about anything. It's a vacation. There's more to complain about back home. We are just thankful we can cruise when so many can't. And as alway's no one is forcing anyone to pay the prices they charge or for anything else. Don't like it, do something else. Maybe vacation on Route 66, stay at a Motel 6 for $39.99 and you'll be happier...plus, they'll leave the light on for you.

Was that snippy comment necessary? Everything you said is easily inferred from the situation.

We have been cruising two times a year (28 days) for recent years and last year 3 times

This year cruise prices have almost doubled and that is without perks

Result is we are not booking, and will wait to see if prices drop or book last minute if the price us right

The only cruise we have booked is a TA, as that one had a good price on a guarentee cabin, actually less than we paid last year

The £ has dropped against the € but not by the amount cruises have gone up in tge UK

I cannot believe they will fill ships at these prices (European cruuses)

It appears that all the cruise lines are upping their "asking" prices for next season based on comments on other boards. Advance bookings must be strong to allow these cruise corporations to price their product in this manner.

However, consumers do have the ultimate choice to accept or reject pricing.

We used to cruise each year on Celebrity - it is now 2 years since our last cruise and no cruises will be booked for the foreseeable future with any company. We reject the cost, the current cruise product, the complexity of cruises which used to be simple and relaxing and straightforward, the lack of confidence now in the product offering, (you used to know that you would get the same product time and time again), and outside the cruise lines, reject the airlines treatment of passengers and all the security hassal given Islamic terrorism. Not willing to do it anymore. Others continue to enjoy their travel, rock on!

There may be many Millennials ready to rush onto ships and accept/or not realize the constant downgrading of product offering combined with price increases - guess the cruise corporations are hoping their numbers offset the loss of former long term customers like me. Must be the case given the new build announcements.

I would suspect the decline in bookings from Canadians and British due to their poor currencies vs US $ will have an impact however.

In the past decade and going forward, every company relies on the "obedient consumer" to continue their addiction to their fav cruise line, restaurant, clothes, purses, TV etc while concurrently companies downgrade the amount and and quality of their product. Cruise lines better hope the "obedient consumer" continues to book their ships!

Not everyone is so "obedient".

Time will tell.

Happy and safe sailing to everyone!

ABoatNerd

It appears that all the cruise lines are upping their "asking" prices for next season based on comments on other boards. Advance bookings must be strong to allow these cruise corporations to price their product in this manner.

However, consumers do have the ultimate choice to accept or reject pricing.

We used to cruise each year on Celebrity - it is now 2 years since our last cruise and no cruises will be booked for the foreseeable future with any company. We reject the cost, the current cruise product, the complexity of cruises which used to be simple and relaxing and straightforward, the lack of confidence now in the product offering, (you used to know that you would get the same product time and time again), and outside the cruise lines, reject the airlines treatment of passengers and all the security hassal given Islamic terrorism. Not willing to do it anymore. Others continue to enjoy their travel, rock on!

There may be many Millennials ready to rush onto ships and accept/or not realize the constant downgrading of product offering combined with price increases - guess the cruise corporations are hoping their numbers offset the loss of former long term customers like me. Must be the case given the new build announcements.

I would suspect the decline in bookings from Canadians and British due to their poor currencies vs US $ will have an impact however.

In the past decade and going forward, every company relies on the "obedient consumer" to continue their addiction to their fav cruise line, restaurant, clothes, purses, TV etc while concurrently companies downgrade the amount and and quality of their product. Cruise lines better hope the "obedient consumer" continues to book their ships!

Not everyone is so "obedient".

Time will tell.

Happy and safe sailing to everyone!

ABoatNerd

No need to blame Millennials for this. Gen X introduced us to cruising and we love it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by rajju077