Beggars/Violance in Ports

Clepire

I didn't encounter any aggressive panhandlers on our recent cruise, stopping in St. Martin, St Kitts, Barbados, St Lucia, San Juan, and St Thomas.

In Barbados we got a bit off the beaten path in Bridgetown, and felt very conspicuous, but didn't have a problem. We did return to the tourist area as quickly as possible. The taxi drivers at the Barbados port were very aggressive with their hard sell and would follow you with their pitches, even if you kept walking.

We didn't see any violence or encounter any crime.

I live in NYC, btw.

OP-in none of the ports you listed are there issues like you asked BUT-

San Juan has the most straight up beggars with Key West next. The later in the day, the more that appear.

All ports have pushy sales people stationed outside the port jewelry shops.

Jamaica is the worst for aggressive street "vendors". However, they consider saying "No, thank you" as you saying "No, yes" so simply do not speak or make eye contact.

San Juan has the most straight up beggars with Key West next. The later in the day, the more that appear.

Key West??!! :eek: You might see homeless and you might see street performers such as a guy playing a flute, making his dog howl, but straight up beggars? No way. I lived in Key West for 20 years, up until this past summer, so I know this isn't true.

Key West??!! :eek: You might see homeless and you might see street performers such as a guy playing a flute, making his dog howl, but straight up beggars? No way. I lived in Key West for 20 years, up until this past summer, so I know this isn't true.

Then you aren't looking. http://keysnews.com/node/38625

Call'em pan handlers or beggars, same difference.

Hi all! We're going on our first cruise in 2 weeks and I was curious as to if anyone knows how bad the violence/beggars are in the Caribbean. We are going to St. Kitts, St. Marteen, Dominica, Antigua, and Tortola.

Okay then.

We know where you are going.

What we also need to know is where do you THINK you're going?

Sheesh.

Hi all! We're going on our first cruise in 2 weeks and I was curious as to if anyone knows how bad the violence/beggars are in the Caribbean. We are going to St. Kitts, St. Marteen, Dominica, Antigua, and Tortola.

I've been to all of those places except Tortola. Each are appealing in their own way. I haven't witnessed any violence and only a few true beggars. You'll find some vendors/entrepreneurs if you go off the beaten path, but I think they're fairly easy to fend off.

Please don't worry. Think about it. Would cruise ships offload hundreds of people on to these islands every day if beggars and violence were commonplace? You will have great time. Go and enjoy!:)

Then you aren't looking. http://keysnews.com/node/38625

Call'em pan handlers or beggars, same difference.

One, that article is from 2012. Two, the panhandling zones that were established (all 2 of them) are in areas that are not directly in the tourists view. Three, the zones (all 2 of them) were established so the city could better enforce panhandling...which is illegal in Key West outside of those zones (all 2 of them).

This is an absolute joke. Key West is one the safest ports a cruise ship can visit. To suggest it is one of the worst for beggars is ludicrous.

A few years ago on Duval Street in the middle of the afternoon I was approached and asked "Could you spare $10 or $20? I promise I won't spend it on food." I was so impressed by his honesty that I almost gave it to him. Silly me mistook him for a beggar; I guess according to you he was a street performer:rolleyes:.

I am not counting the MONKEY GUYS in St. Kitts. Some may consider them beggars.

Not so much beggars as scam artists. Of course you have to know going in that if they are going to let the monkeys crawl all over you and take pictures for you they're going to expect a "tip". Problem is you don't see them coming and all the sudden you have a monkey on your back (literally) and now "you owe them" for the "experience". Well, Purina Monkey Chow ain't cheap. :rolleyes: Not that the critters probably get food that good. We gave them a couple dollars and told that that was all the cash we had on us. Did get some interesting pictures so it was OK by us.

A few years ago on Duval Street in the middle of the afternoon I was approached and asked "Could you spare $10 or $20? I promise I won't spend it on food." I was so impressed by his honesty that I almost gave it to him. Silly me mistook him for a beggar; I guess according to you he was a street performer:rolleyes:.

And here we go with the typical Cruise Critic miscomprehension posts consummated by rolley eyes emoticons. I never said they didn't exist. I just said it is a joke to say Key West is one of the WORST for it.

All ports have pushy sales people stationed outside the port jewelry shops.

Jamaica is the worst for aggressive street "vendors". However, they consider saying "No, thank you" as you saying "No, yes" so simply do not speak or make eye contact.

Of all the impoverished ports cruises visit, you're trying to convince people that Key West has the most beggars - topped only by San Juan? I don't know what your beef is with Key West, but that claim is totally false.

And here we go with the typical Cruise Critic miscomprehension posts consummated by rolley eyes emoticons. I never said they didn't exist. I just said it is a joke to say Key West is one of the WORST for it.
Actually you said (in its entirety):
Please explain how "but straight up beggars? No way." isn't saying that straight up beggars don't exist in Key West? You'll have to explain to get me to understand that I'm the one miscomprehending.

I can't remember which island it was but on one of them, a guy followed us for about 2 blocks trying to convince us to take his tour. Not a beggar or violent and he was not threatening but really annoying. I know that they are poor and trying to earn a living but they are still annoying.

DON

I found the pushiest people during my cruises were the hair braiders in Cabo San Lucas, but Cabo isn't on your itinerary. Again, as mentioned above, just say no and keep moving along. Never encountered any violence in Dominica or St. Maarten. Haven't been to the other places you are cruising to.

We have spent more then 3 years on cruise ships going to and around 6 Continents. The most pushy people are the ones you will find at buffets on the ship! As to beggars, just listen to the cruise ships staff begging you to buy things at an onboard sale, buy overpriced photos, buy Bingo Cards, etc. We generally feel less hassled once we get off the ship :).

Hank

Of all the impoverished ports cruises visit, you're trying to convince people that Key West has the most beggars - topped only by San Juan? I don't know what your beef is with Key West, but that claim is totally false.

Actually you said (in its entirety):Please explain how "but straight up beggars? No way." isn't saying that straight up beggars don't exist in Key West? You'll have to explain to get me to understand that I'm the one miscomprehending.

By worse, I meant to say most. I saw way more people asking for money verbally or with signs in San Juan and Key West than in any other port.

Actually you said (in its entirety):Please explain how "but straight up beggars? No way." isn't saying that straight up beggars don't exist in Key West? You'll have to explain to get me to understand that I'm the one miscomprehending.

What you so conveniently left out was the fact I was responding to this comment:

The context, from the very beginning was about KW having the "most" beggars of any place cruises go (except SJ). I highlighted "most" because that is a key word here. If you still don't get it, I can't help you.

You may encounter on occasion someone asking you for spare change. Just nod no, smile and walk on. They won't hassle you.

They sure might. Or it might feel like they are, depending on your personality.

We learned fast in Nassau that if you KNOW you aren't going to use their services, just say "no" and keep walking. Don't stand there and listen to them. That wastes everyone's time. Just say no. I've noticed that "no thank you" gets them talking more; "no" stops the spiel.

I'm an introvert and having so many people approach me is exhausting. The monkey people in Kitts, tour guys in Nassau (not that that port is one the OP is going to but I keep picturing it while typing), etc...it gets overwhelming to me and I tend to just walk behind DH and pretend I can't hear them. In Kitt's I was physically exhausted getting through the monkey and tour people.

I did not say that they are violent, but simply annoying. Also, they do not leave you alone. Some of them keep at it as they go up & down the beaches.

Had that experience on Orient Beach in St Martin. But I figure the ladies selling sarongs etc just don't pay attention to who they have already talked to. They just say it to everyone.

You literally said "you might see homeless and you might see street performers such as a guy playing a flute, making his dog howl, but straight up beggars? No way. I lived in Key West for 20 years, up until this past summer, so I know this isn't true."

You did indeed say they didn't exist.

The context, from the very beginning was about KW having the "most" beggars of any place cruises go (except SJ). I highlighted "most" because that is a key word here. If you still don't get it, I can't help you.

If a person hasn't seen a "straight up beggar" in any of those ports, but has in San Juan and has in KW, then it's totally legit for that person to say that KW has the second most straight up beggars. it doesn't mean that it's crawling with people asking for money without giving a legitimate service or item, but that it's the second most that the person has seen.

I personally haven't seen someone sitting on the sidewalk asking for money in any of the ports the OP listed. People always are exchanging goods or services for money. I'm not even sure I saw any in SJ or KW (though it's been nearly 3 years since I was in KW), but the other poster has. You have your perspective and what you saw, and the other poster has theirs.

We took the HOHO bus thing and the lady had lived there her whole life. She called out to people that I would probably have casually avoided if I were walking along; she knew them, she knew their stories. She doesn't quite realize how some of them appeared to tourists. It's possible that is your situation, too.

You and the HOHO driver know that guy as Joe, and he just hangs out there at the corner to amuse himself before going off to whatever job he has, and puts his hat down or his guitar case down (while waiting to go pick up the guitar which is being fixed). But to us he looks like he's asking for money, what with his hangdog expression and the hat or guitar case he's got laying on the ground. (totally made up person there, just painting a picture of differences in perception) Or maybe you KNOW that Joe asks for money, but you went to school with him and he's a great guy, and even though he does ask for money, you just don't see him as a panhandler, but just a guy down on his luck. Forgetting that being on the island for 4 hours doesn't give us that background education.

Avoided the exhaustion of tour offers in Antigua by having an excursion with a well known company. The tour guys would ask what we were looking for, and as soon as we said Adventure Antigua they smiled and pointed us to where we needed to wait. It was excellent that they were so well known, and that having that info to say just stopped the spiels.

Back to the OP's original question... While it's been about 6 years since we've been to Tortola, I would say that it's one of the LEAST "pushy" places in the Caribbean. We always looked at it as one of the "upscale" British colonies...

In my opinion, the only ports with really pushy vendors are the Bahamas and Jamaica... (But thats just MY opinion! :cool: )

You did indeed say they didn't exist.

No I did not, and I'm sorry that there are now 2 of you who couldn't follow the context. When I said "but straight up beggars? No way," it was referring to a comment about KW having more than any other port (except SJ). Never did I say they did not exist. Sheesh....how many times do I have to explain this. :confused:

There are beggars in every city on this planet. Again...my comments are in reference to one person claiming KW has more than any other cruise location. And I stand by my comments that it is BS.

The greatest number of beggars and the most violence you may experience are in American ports. If you can protect yourself in those places, you will be fine in the foreign ports.

Wrong.

Ever hear of places like Aden, Rio de Janeiro, Izmit, Abidjan, Ashdod, Margarita, Tunis, Manila, El Salvador, Mazatlan or Roatan - just to name a few? These places are statistically more dangerous than any American port.

Google is your friend - even for those fired from their cruise ship jobs.

Edited by Cruzaholic41