Cruise virgin: Anything unusual I should bring with me in luggage?

We bring a battery pack for our cell phone and camera.

Remember that battery packs and power cells are not allowed in checked baggage, only allowed in carry on. 9google FAA spare batteries e-car to see the regulation.

We did a 17 day canal transit. I looked at my wife and asked if she had packed the camera. She just looked back and said she thought I had packed it. D'Oh! At least the phone takes good pictures but the camera would definitely have been better to have. The next cruise we both double checked to make sure we had it along. :rolleyes:

I still trying to convince the wife that our camera takes much better pictures than the phone camera.

It's a losing battle. :(

Remember that battery packs and power cells are not allowed in checked baggage, only allowed in carry on. 9google FAA spare batteries e-car to see the regulation.

Even my spare lithium coin battery for my portable luggage scale, it is on my carry-on.

Both my DH and I have iphones. However, I do pack a lightweight travel alarm clock that runs on batteries.

It is somehow reassuring to have a clock in the cabin that I can use to check the time by quickly glancing at it.

Old school ? Maybe,but I like the clock .

Does anyone have a recommendation for small travel binoculars. We have a large, heavy pair but would prefer something lighter & smaller.

boy, that's a loaded question!

I swear by Nikon glass (have multiple pairs) but they're not cheap (that's why the glass is so sharp)! I have poor eyesight so I need really sharp binos.

Re power - if you don't have steady hands, stick with an 8 by pair of binos no matter what brand you buy. I have Nikon Sporter 10x and Nikon Monarch 8x42s and the 10s are unforgiving if you're shaking even just a spec! (I prefer 8x40ish but Nikon does make a Travelex Light VI 8x25 Porro prism type 8 times 25 caliber T68X25 for under $80 as well.) I also have a pair of Travel Pentax (bought on a cruise in St. Thomas eons ago) that are 8x21. Small and fit the hand well. Just not my "go to" binos if I have a choice but always the pair I keep in my car. By all means, get an 8 power - that means it brings the view in 8x... anything less than that has proven not to be enough for me! Only you can decide if you want roof or porro prism binos; they each have their place. Also, determine if you will use them for anything else (e.g., bird watching).

Search Amazon - some ideas...

Bushnell makes an Bushnell Powerview 8x25 Porro Binocular for about $30.

Pentax UP 8x21 black Binoculars sell for $55.

Nikon's Travelex Light VI 8x25 Porro prism type is under $80 if your budget allows that price point. (I prefer 8x40ish but would settle for the Nikon 8x25 for ease in carrying.)

Recommend... NIKON - nothing like it (unless you can afford Leica or Swavorski binos, that is!)...

gosh, I think I have to look for another pair of binos. I see a pair I don't have yet! (they're Nikon Aculons).

Good luck and have fun "glassing."

Edited by nomadguy
poor prism - not poor! lol

That's what they make smart phones for. :D

Not everybody has one.

Take half your luggage and twice the money or credit card.

Theo

If you have a number of electronic doodads (I'm guilty of this) I recommend not bringing individual chargers/power bricks for each device. I use a 5-port USB charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/

I have 2 lightning cables, 2 micro-usb cables and an Apple Watch charging cable to plug into this. I can charge my iPhone (used as my camera), iPad, Kindle, bluetooth earbuds and my Apple Watch simultaneously. I also recommend using 1-foot long cables to eliminate cable clutter. Also don't get a charger which plugs directly into the wall since it may be difficult to find an outlet which will accept it - this one has a cord to plug into the wall.

This charger is pretty small - 3.6 × 2.3 × 1.0 in. This is much smaller than carrying all of your other chargers. This charger also supports multiple voltages (100-240v AC). I recently used it in Australia without any issues.

Pants. I always take pants. :D

Since you are going to Mexico I would recommend sun screen and a hat. Sunglasses as well.

I agree with others above that almost all of the "must have" items listed elsewhere on this site are superfluous. Be sure to have a valid credit card (let your bank know you are traveling!!!) and small amount of emergency cash. US dollars are fine in Mexico and almost everything can be purchased with a credit card.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

Agreed. On our first cruise my wife bought a wind up travel alarm in the gift shop onboard. We didn't have smart phones (or any cell phones at all for that matter) at that time. I can't remember if she ever actually used it on that cruise but I can say for certain it was never used at all after that.

The phones work just fine for us as alarm clocks if we need one.

I wouldn't know, as I have no need for, and even less interest in, such things.

Exactly how many of us feel about your alarm clock. :)

To each his/her own. There is no "right" answer. I'm quite happy that people are different. If everybody was like me I'd jump overboard.

15 days is long for a first cruise. Laundry on board tends to be pricey unless they have self service launderette.

That being said, find out if your cruise ship has a small clothesline in the bathroom.

If not bring one, and pick up some clothes pins.

I find I change clothes twice a day which means 30 pairs of underwear. A bit much.

i did a twelve day cruise with one suitcase and one carryon. So doable. Don't over think the shoes. I brought more than I needed on my last one.

If this has been suggested

Don't over think this too much, enjoy your first experience, you may get hooked like the rest of us.

PS. Not about luggage, if you run into complainers on your cruise run the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pack light but found we needed certain things and were always grabbing this or that. Our choices are simple and I keep them packed and take on all vacations.

OTC meds (very expensive on board or shore) I like certain brands and keep small supply.

Travel size toiletries (toss almost empty bottles) replenish after each trip. I don't like the ships shampoo.

Night light started taking little tea lights (the kind from the $ store at Halloween). The bathroom has a slight step in most cabins and I trip on this at night if I don't have a little light.

Flash light (needed this once) when the lights go out it really isn't totally dark, but feel better when we travel having this.

Lysol spray, silly but I spray the bathroom when we unpack.

Alarm clock which I forgot once and we were lost without the clock in our cabin so ended up buying a Princess one.

Laundry tabs & dryer sheets. These are small and I don't bother using them on short trips as a rule but on long ones I do laundry on day six which overlaps changes of underthings I bring so we don't run out.

Baggies (snacks on excursions get car sick so carry crackers) & trash bags (2 kitchen can size). Wet, items if any last day. Dirty laundry, or anything that can break and damage items in a checked bag.

I keep the shoe box size hard plastic box packed and ready for any trip not a lot of things everywhere and it fits nicely in the middle of a checked bag.

Nothing I pack in the travel box can't be done without or bought on vacation, but why bother when it is easy enough to just have it each trip.

Edited by latebloomer56
highlight

Someone on another board mentioned packing an old cruise card or "dead" credit card to put in the slot by the cabin door to keep the lights or air conditioning on.

You can bring an old card if you want but the cabin steward always has one stuck in the slot.

btw- it doesn't shut off the AC- only the lights.