Crystal versus Oceania -- Guess who wins??

PaulMCO

I have read that it will change when they bring out a new ship. The current 2 ships design will not accommodate open seating.

Thank you - that's too bad as we are booked for 2018.

Interesting though as Marina/Riviera have more passengers and can accommodate open seating. Are Crystal dining rooms smaller?

Thank you - that's too bad as we are booked for 2018.

Interesting though as Marina/Riviera have more passengers and can accommodate open seating. Are Crystal dining rooms smaller?

I have not cruised Crystal yet. I had booked a cruise with them but cancelled because I did not like what I was reading about their fixed dining.

The Crystal board is where I had found this info.

Right now, they have a section of the dining area set aside for "open" seating. The number of open tables is reasonably small and you have to reserve the table ahead of time. One of the problems is that you have to walk through the dining area where everyone else is eating which is not convenient. The service was spotty at times. There was a consistent wait staff there but they did not always have the same tables and they seemed stretched. We did it so that we did not have to eat at 6:30 or 9:00. It was just okay.

Re: fixed dining/seating - any idea of when this may change to open seating?
Hi Paulchili. The CEO of Crystal confirmed in a Q&A last week that full open dining will be included in upcoming planned enhancements for both ships. She was less clear about timing, only to say that an announcement will be made very soon. However Symphony is scheduled for a major drydock in Sept/Oct 2017 and it's expected that open dining will be introduced then. The drydock for Serenity hasn't been announced yet but speculation is it may happen in Oct/Nov 2018. In the meantime, in addition to fixed dining, Crystal has the option of Dining By Reservation (DBR). This isn't true open dining but it does allow you to select a time and table size for any dinner in the Main Dining Room. You can make your DBR reservations in advance of sailing and change them once on board if you wish. It worked well for us on a short cruise this past summer and we're doing it again on a longer voyage soon.

Hi Paulchili. The CEO of Crystal confirmed in a Q&A last week that full open dining will be included in upcoming planned enhancements for both ships. She was less clear about timing, only to say that an announcement will be made very soon. However Symphony is scheduled for a major drydock in Sept/Oct 2017 and it's expected that open dining will be introduced then. The drydock for Serenity hasn't been announced yet but speculation is it may happen in Oct/Nov 2018. In the meantime, in addition to fixed dining, Crystal has the option of Dining By Reservation (DBR). This isn't true open dining but it does allow you to select a time and table size for any dinner in the Main Dining Room. You can make your DBR reservations in advance of sailing and change them once on board if you wish. It worked well for us on a short cruise this past summer and we're doing it again on a longer voyage soon.

Thank you MightyQuinn, aquidneck1 &portofinoitaly,

helpful info. We are on Serenity (portion of WC) so it will not be reburbished before we cruise and open dining may or may not be available.

Also, b/o WC, there may be a large number of passengers already onboard with DBRs as well as assigned tables. Fixed seating at 6:30 may not be too bad as we eat early - as long as we can get our preferred table size.

We'll see how it works and we'll make the best of it. How bad can it be either way? :D

We look forward to a new experience.

Edited by Paulchili

Thank you MightyQuinn, aquidneck1 &portofinoitaly,

helpful info. We are on Serenity (portion of WC) so it will not be reburbished before we cruise and open dining may or may not be available.

Also, b/o WC, there may be a large number of passengers already onboard with DBRs as well as assigned tables. Fixed seating at 6:30 may not be too bad as we eat early - as long as we can get our preferred table size.

We'll see how it works and we'll make the best of it. How bad can it be either way? :D

We look forward to a new experience.

If you don't like your table mates you can always ask the maitre d' to change tables. One of our table mates got to our table via that route.

I'm going back very many years to our Alaska cruise on Princess - June 1990.

We were originally assigned to a table for 8 but we changed the table not because we didn't like our tablemates but because we didn't like the location of the table. As I recall it was over the engine and the vibrations and noise were bothering me. They moved us a short distance to a table for 6 which had no problems. We did explain to the first table why we had left, however!

Mura

Thank you Paul for this excellent review. Nice and concise with enough detail and without a lot of the comparison stuff that often stops me from reading comparison threads.

Too bad about Tastes when the rest of the venues sound excellent. Many O pax very much enjoy its excellent buffet, especially since they added the grills. Based on the rest of your review your experience could be a one-off as you suggested. Fixed time dining is *certainly* not my preference but I would not take a cruise based on that alone though it does weigh into the decision.

Occasionally I do take a look at Crystal's offerings because of hearing great things about their enrichment speakers and I enjoy a good speaker. That is a strong point for me. We will keep looking for the right itinerary, at the right price, at the right time (work, work, work)

Edited by YoHoHo

It is interesting that Crystal still gives incentives for voting on Conde Nast which is why they typically come #1 as a luxury line.

Particularly when they don't win then :o

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/large-ocean-cruise-ships#viking-star

Many of us think it is quite distasteful and inappropriate - Crystal's line is they don't require people to vote for them in the survey for them to enjoy the unlimited internet benefit when it's offered

We are on Serenity (portion of WC) so it will not be reburbished before we cruise and open dining may or may not be available.

Crystal Serenity will not be refurbished before your cruise in early 2018

Crystal Symphony is undergoing a major refit in early October 2017 and Crystal Serenity is schedule for a major refit in late October 2018

Details of just what will be changed in those refits have not been announced

Open Dining can be reserved using PCPC - do that as soon as you can to secure your preferred time if you would prefer that option rather than one of the two fixed dining times. If you do opt for dining by reservation you can book any sized table up to 8 but you must find your tablemates as opposed to the Maître d organising mixed tables during the fixed dining sessions

Also, I am not a big fan of fixed dining or paying for extra dining in specialty (our cruise is 23 days long - most likely will want extra specialties)

On cruises over 14 days you are eligible for two meals in each of the two speciality restaurants(in reality its four across the two specialty restaurants).

I strongly suggest you try Tastes for yourself - the OP's comments on Tastes are surprising - I've only ever seen positive comments on Tastes and we enjoyed several meal there - at both lunch and dinner times on our cruise on Crystal Serenity

Re: fixed dining/seating - any idea of when this may change to open seating?

The CEO, President and Chairman (that's one person by the way ;)) has announced that open seating will be implemented following the major refits of the ships being undertaken in 2017 (Symphony) and 2018 (Serenity)

Any DYKWIA people (my unconfirmed prejudice of Crystal :D).

I am sure they exist on all cruise lines - and in life in general but it would be very unfair to suggest that they exist on Crystal any more than in general

If you are unfortunate to encounter them just move away and don't feed their egos by giving them the attention they crave

It looks like you might be on v.8302, the trans Pacific next year, if so I look forward to meeting you onboard

Edited by Bodogbodog

I have read that it will change when they bring out a new ship. The current 2 ships design will not accommodate open seating.

That's a long wait - the first of the new ocean ships is not due until at least 2022 - yes that's 6 years from now :eek:

One of the problems is that you have to walk through the dining area where everyone else is eating which is not convenient

Is there a restaurant ANYWHERE on land or sea where that isn't the case if you are not participating in fixed dining sessions where all diners start service at the same time?

Crystal Serenity will not be refurbished before your cruise in early 2018

Crystal Symphony is undergoing a major refit in early October 2017 and Crystal Serenity is schedule for a major refit in late October 2018

Details of just what will be changed in those refits have not been announced

Open Dining can be reserved using PCPC - do that as soon as you can to secure your preferred time if you would prefer that option rather than one of the two fixed dining times. If you do opt for dining by reservation you can book any sized table up to 8 but you must find your tablemates as opposed to the Maître d organising mixed tables during the fixed dining sessions

On cruises over 14 days you are eligible for two meals in each of the two speciality restaurants(in reality its four across the two specialty restaurants).

I strongly suggest you try Tastes for yourself - the OP's comments on Tastes are surprising - I've only ever seen positive comments on Tastes and we enjoyed several meal there - at both lunch and dinner times on our cruise on Crystal Serenity

The CEO, President and Chairman (that's one person by the way ;)) has announced that open seating will be implemented following the major refits of the ships being undertaken in 2017 (Symphony) and 2018 (Serenity)

I am sure they exist on all cruise lines - and in life in general but it would be very unfair to suggest that they exist on Crystal any more than in general

If you are unfortunate to encounter them just move away and don't feed their egos by giving them the attention they crave

It looks like you might be on v.8302, the trans Pacific next year, if so I look forward to meeting you onboard

Bodogbodog,

Thank you for all your helpful and informative replies to my posts about Crystal both here and on Crystal boards.

We will be on V8303 - after you (Sydney to Manila) - hopefully you will stay on :D

Edited by Paulchili

We will be on V8303 - after you (Sydney to Manila) - hopefully you will stay on :D

We live in Sydney so we're disembarking there I'm afraid - but I promise we'll leave Crystal Serenity tidy for you - although they'll definitely have to restock the champagne supplies for you

That looks like a nice itinerary and I would have liked to stay onboard but we have to balance work/cruising for another couple of years I'm afraid :D

How about the entertainment? Were there production shows?

I agree with Drib on Crystals production shows - the interesting thing is Crystal design and produce the shows themselves rather than buying them in. They do some good shows and the performers are great but with only two ships the ability to introduce new shows and resource them is limited so if sailing with them regularly the shows and many of the guest entertainers become very repetitive.

They do introduce new shows from time to time like Illuminate which is good the first couple of times or Speakeasy which is a recent addition on Symphony.

But still there's lots more to do in the evening than attend performances like spend some time in the Piano bar - Avenue Saloon or some of the other bars with entertainment like the Cove

Thanks for the insight....all the reasons I cruise O.... Fix dining, extras for specialties, limited specialties, tiny cabins .....formal atmosphere no thanks.

Crystal is not particularly formal. On "optional formal" nights--generally one for each 7 days at sea--you need only wear a jacket, no tie, to eat anywhere on the ship.Although I think the OP's comparison was generally fair, I would disagree with a couple of points. We have sailed on O four times, and the first time I was aghast at how small the Riviera cabin was--because we had only sailed on Seabourn, with its basic veranda cabin of 365 square feet. Yes, the Crystal cabin is smaller, but you will search in vain for the signs of wear and tear that are all too obvious on O.

A couple of other points. Breakfast in the Lido can be brought to you by a waiter if you wish. But the choices are so many and so beguiling that you probably want to make sure you have assayed the entire buffet before making your selection.

Finally dining by reservation--which really means dining at any time and with anyone you choose--is a great option if you are a social person. You simply tell the maitre d' that you would like to join an existing table--vacancies created by guests choosing to dine at the optional restaurants, for example--and you can get to meet different people every night. My wife and I have done that on several Crystal cruises, and found the experience most rewarding.

Not to enrage the loyalists on this board, but we stopped sailing on O because of the worsening and highly visible wear and tear on Marina and Riviera. We have never sailed on the R ships.

And as O comes closer to price parity with Crystal, the choice is easier to make.

Not to argue with you but I am astonished at a complaint about obvious wear and tear on Riviera, which is a pretty new ship and which has regular upgrades. No, I can't compare it to Crystal and I haven't even BEEN on Riviera, but I have been on Marina (which is a couple of years older than Riviera) and haven't seen the wear and tear you mention.

You can color me a cheerleader if you like, but I would deny the categorization. (Note that I didn't say "accusation".)

However, it is clear that you prefer Crystal and that certainly is your right. I'm just questioning SOME of your perceptions. Not that it matters ... You have your preferences and we have ours!

Mura

we stopped sailing on O because of the worsening and highly visible wear and tear on Marina and Riviera. We have never sailed on the R ships

I must say that I am also astonished to read this, particularly because at present, the newest Crystal ship, the Serenity, is a full decade older than the Riviera.

Crystal-cruises-2-750x420.jpg Crystal is due for a new ship in 2018, however, and they are going in an interesting direction with her.

Crystal Endeavor is going to weigh in at 25000 GRT , that's fourteen thousand tons less than our R ships.

-and she is going to be an ice-breaker.

She will cater to only 100 lucky guests, but don't ask what her fares will be :eek:

We have always fount the Oceinia ships in perfect shape and the same goes for Crystal Serenity

Not a scratch on her when we sailed her in December despite her age.

I found that the Serenity was in better shape than Riviera despite the age difference. However I would not say the difference was great as to term it "visible wear and tear" as a previous poster put it.

I've always thought we wouldn't particularly like Crystal, mostly because of a couple factors. The fixed dining was one, but I'd appreciate people's opinions on the following, and sorry if some things have already been addressed. I read most, but not all, of the comments.

Are the passengers a bit more formal than on Oceania - at least on an average cruise (which one in the Caribbean might not be)?

Are people dressed a bit more formally? Are khakis and a golf shirt OK attire for men at night for dinner?

Do the Crystal ships feel pretty much like Marina and the bigger O ships in terms of how much space you have in the public areas? In other words, are they more or less crowded than the 1260 pax ships of Oceania? I prefer the smaller O ships due to nicer ambiance, so I'm hesitant to try Crystal ships - but might try them if other factors were right.

Is there a nice but casual buffet for dinner like on O ships?

The cruise prices are higher than on O, but just what do they include? Do you get unlimited excursions? If so, does that mean you can take any you want, or are you limited to various ones in each port? I assume liquor is included, but since we're non-drinkers, that just raises the prices without any payback, so I don't care if liquor is included.