Spontaneous Buffets on Oasis-class Ships

LEMJMcC

On some RCI ships we've sailed they have had (one night) a late night pool party that has had a buffet.

I had this on Monarch in 2011. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and never had something similar since on the bigger ships.

I really hope RCI do something like this and on the bigger ships if possible. The pool decks at nights on RCI ships are dead with no atmosphere and everyone are crushed down to the Royal Promenade. I suppose if people are not in Royal Promenade then they are not spending.

We had a full midnight buffet on Brilliance TA last Oct 2016. They advertised it as a special treat, just like the old days and it was, complete with ice sculptures, fruit carvings and fancy bread displays.

We attended the photo viewing at 11.30 but weren't hungry enough to go back for food when it opened fully.

On this same cruise we had a BBQ lunch by the pool on one of the sea days. On our Splendour TA in 2015 they had chefs cooking by the pool on every sea day with a different theme each day, they also had a poolside party with food on the night we crossed the equator.

From reading this thread and our own experience, it seems its the longer cruises that are most likely to have these events.

Julie

Just remember, one day in the near future today will be the good ol' days.

Remember when most meals were included in the cruise fare?

Remember they used to give OBC, just for booking?

Remember when the website used to work, most of the time?

Cheer up! Or the beatings / cutbacks will continue until morale improves around here! :p:p:p

But ALL meals are still included in the cruise fare, (specialty dining is your choice) we still get OBC just for booking....K.O.:)

As Carol stated midnite buffets have been gone for at least a decade....K.O.

I guess I missed all the good times as my first cruise was 4 years ago... but trying to catch up on all the years I missed.

So far, a nice way to have a vacation and close by and a getaway for us. We are enjoying our cruises even with all the cutbacks that we have not experienced.

On Oasis dinner in the buffet there was sort of a food theme each night.

We are just off the Oasis and the dining after 9 PM is pretty sad. There is a pizza place serving edible to inedible pizza until 3 AM. There is a cafe serving mini cold sandwiches and snack sized desserts 24 hours a day. Room service is 24 hours but between midnight and 5 AM you need to pay a service charge. No late night buffets or dessert buffets. Oasis was the worst in terms of late night food, everything else about the food on the ship though was great!

So we're looking at our third cruise with RCI on the Oasis of the Seas. We've heard from others about themed buffets that they would encounter while on their cruises; we've also heard about the famous, or infamous;), midnight dessert buffets. However on our first two RCI cruises we encountered no such thing anywhere on the ship at any time.

So, are these just myths, or have they gone the way of the do-do, or have we just be unlucky?

Thanks.

... Oasis was the worst in terms of late night food, everything else about the food on the ship though was great!

Agree 100% about the late night food choices! Want to say even the custom pizza section was shut down before 10pm.

I wound up grabbing a bowl with cheese and meat from the antipasto station every night for the room. Did the same thing with the shrimp when they had it, just added some ice to keep them chilled.

Sent from a mobile device

Edited by chandom

On Oasis dinner in the buffet there was sort of a food theme each night.

We are just off the Oasis and the dining after 9 PM is pretty sad. There is a pizza place serving edible to inedible pizza until 3 AM. There is a cafe serving mini cold sandwiches and snack sized desserts 24 hours a day. Room service is 24 hours but between midnight and 5 AM you need to pay a service charge. No late night buffets or dessert buffets. Oasis was the worst in terms of late night food, everything else about the food on the ship though was great!

I have complained about and suggested this to RCI whenever given the opportunity.

How nice it would be to have a small portion of the WJ open late in the evening serving breakfast type food etc etc. Never a response...I like the idea and when I bring it up on these boards many other's do too !!!!!

I have complained about and suggested this to RCI whenever given the opportunity.

How nice it would be to have a small portion of the WJ open late in the evening serving breakfast type food etc etc. Never a response...I like the idea and when I bring it up on these boards many other's do too !!!!!

Regarding Midnight Buffet or full food service 24 hours, would you be willing to pay a little extra to have this perk?

Midnight buffets!!

Those were the good old days.

I remember!!

Here's a throw back from when we sailed to Alaska in August 2006 on Serenade of the Seas. We had late supper which started at 8:30 and on the night of the buffet they asked if we could vacate a little early so they could set things up. Viewing started at 11pm and the destructive consumption began at midnight.

Here are a few pics from our first and only midnight buffet. The line of people weaving its way through the MDR around the displays of ice carvings and food presentations.

86997e030e0a644027283cadb2d85442.jpg

dbb0f253be97419b0ea416a5a4200268.jpg

ee701fa6694f5cdcdb923ad887520c2a.jpg

4c75716d9a63b2d743cf691d271978be.jpg

326b7683d87f735dcdf2477ada3c7b11.jpg

9ec2e33efa149b87c66e37e8adb152e6.jpg

We didn't take a ton of pictures but those around of us did. Some food was obviously for presentation in carvings and other items were plated for consumption.

We returned at midnight to see what was happening and you would have sworn that some of cruisers hadn't eaten in 3 weeks not just 3 hours. Prime example - the photo above with the cooked chickens with one playing a guitar. We saw a man with at least 1/3 of one of those chickens on their plate, with lemon head and olive eyes. Obviously, they didn't realize that chicken was for "presentation".

It was hilarious and frightening at the same time. I'd love to scope one of these now as it could be even funnier than bad karaoke.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by A&L_Ont

Awww, I remember the midnight buffet and midnight chocolate buffet! We'd stay up late, eat too much, and realize that while it was pretty food, it was not that great :). I don't miss it, especially now that we go on ships that have the Cafe promenade (I love their little sandwiches, and one sandwich and a cookie at 10pm is healthier for me than "giant 2nd dinner", right?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by vacationlover_mn

Which ones and what year??

Can't remember which weeks, was on Serenade Oct30-Dec 23 2016 there was a late nite dancing and Buffet on there twice. maybe 10pm? I didn't go, I know one nite was rained out though... And unfortunately you did miss out on the Midnight Buffets of the 1980-1990's..

We started cruising in '97 and the midnight buffet was every night. Then it became the grand buffet with galley tours, ice sculptures, and high end desserts but only once a cruise. Then it was completely history. Can't say I miss it and I'm pretty sure I've been better off without it. :D

Those were the days.... Back in 1980's when they started the Grand Buffet they'd let you come in just to take pictures at 11pm, midnite the feast would begin...

Remember the part about the different themes in the WJ on different nights?

How do you find out about those? Is it in the Compass? On those big boards in the hallway? on your tv? or do you just have to go check?

I remember on my only cruise, one night we went to get dessert in the WJ because the MDR wasn't so great, and they were just putting away some kind of make your own stir fry that smelled amazing. I don't want to miss out on stuff like that this time :D

Remember the part about the different themes in the WJ on different nights?

How do you find out about those? Is it in the Compass? On those big boards in the hallway? on your tv? or do you just have to go check?

I remember on my only cruise, one night we went to get dessert in the WJ because the MDR wasn't so great, and they were just putting away some kind of make your own stir fry that smelled amazing. I don't want to miss out on stuff like that this time :D

Yes...They are listed in each days Cruise Compass under casual dining WJ and what that night theme will be.

Regarding Midnight Buffet or full food service 24 hours, would you be willing to pay a little extra to have this perk?

Pay more for a "Midnight Buffet"....No...I think what I'm paying now is enough. My suggestion was a small area of the WJ with breakfast type foods and snacks maybe from 9:00pm - midnight...not asking for a "full on" extravaganza.

Here's a throw back from when we sailed to Alaska in August 2006 on Serenade of the Seas. We had late supper which started at 8:30 and on the night of the buffet they asked if we could vacate a little early so they could set things up. Viewing started at 11pm and the destructive consumption began at midnight.

Here are a few pics from our first and only midnight buffet. The line of people weaving its way through the MDR around the displays of ice carvings and food presentations.

86997e030e0a644027283cadb2d85442.jpg

dbb0f253be97419b0ea416a5a4200268.jpg

ee701fa6694f5cdcdb923ad887520c2a.jpg

4c75716d9a63b2d743cf691d271978be.jpg

326b7683d87f735dcdf2477ada3c7b11.jpg

9ec2e33efa149b87c66e37e8adb152e6.jpg

We didn't take a ton of pictures but those around of us did. Some food was obviously for presentation in carvings and other items were plated for consumption.

We returned at midnight to see what was happening and you would have sworn that some of cruisers hadn't eaten in 3 weeks not just 3 hours. Prime example - the photo above with the cooked chickens with one playing a guitar. We saw a man with at least 1/3 of one of those chickens on their plate, with lemon head and olive eyes. Obviously, they didn't realize that chicken was for "presentation".

It was hilarious and frightening at the same time. I'd love to scope one of these now as it could be even funnier than bad karaoke.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow ,quite a spread there.

Thanks, very nice pictures.

Some of our early on cruises we have been on had the midnight buffets,

with the ice carvings, food and such, but not as fancy as yours.

The food on those pictures look so scrumptious!!

f