Formal attire question for Caribbean cruise

sailorgirl

We ditched the tuxedos and gowns years ago but is a dark suit necessary for formal nights on HAL's Caribbean itinerary? Or would a jacket and tie suffice? Don't want to feel out of place.

Jacket and tie is fine, and even that is more than what HAL requires. As for feeling out of place, there's no predicting which manner of dress will be in the majority. The level of formality varies from cruise to cruise, and you'll see men in a range from a few tuxes to just collared shirts and trousers. Some posters have observed most men in jackets. Others have observed most men without jackets. In general, late seating tends to be dressier, but that's about the only trend I've seen in posted reports.

We ditched the tuxedos and gowns years ago but is a dark suit necessary for formal nights on HAL's Caribbean itinerary? Or would a jacket and tie suffice? Don't want to feel out of place.

You'll be fine. You can probably ditch the tie if you really need to. I still wear a tuxedo, but I was definitely in the minority last month on the Eurodam.

There are no longer formal nights on HAL. They have Gala nights which are similar to Chic nights on Celebrity. We no longer bring formal clothes to the ship but we do wear what used to be called informal years ago just to look more dressed on Gala nights.

The main dining room tables on HAL ships are covered with white linens, goblets, silver service and flowers at each table. Carpeted, chandeliers, mirrors and art. The room says special occasion, the menu is three formal courses with very nice and attentive personal service.

Wear what makes you feel comfortable and honors the dining room occasion HAL tries to create. Okay, nice hotel banquet dining if you insist. But it is not fast food casual. HAL makes it feel special.

Edited by OlsSalt

We just wear jacket and tie, and short black dress for DW.

You would think Crystal and Regent folks would want to dress up, but tuxes are rare there too except with small groups traveling together who decide to do it. HAL has these groups, but on cruises I've gone from tux to suit to navy jacket and khakis and never a fish eye from the maitre'd. I guess a tie still for me.

Formal is gone.

Gala isn't really gala.

Even smart casual is not fancy.

The majority of the men wear slacks and a collared shirt. Very few wear jackets and tie and only a handful wear tuxedos. Ladies wear slacks and skirts with a nice top or dresses.

I don't agree with very few wearing Jackets. Tuxes will depend on Itinerary and length of Cruise but our most recent HAL cruises this past October/November on two different Ships had the majority in Suits, Jackets and some Tuxes. Ladies wore Cocktail, Floor Length dresses and dressy pants outfits. It was the minority in the MDR who were without a Jacket!

Of course, every Cruise can be different but last April on Zaandam it was also the same.

When on our Baltic Cruise in May, my husband went to the MDR the 2nd night in dress pants, dress shirt and a string tie. He was given a jacket (a little tight which made him look uncomfortable) to wear. No one was allowed to the MDR without a jacket. We then only ate on the Lido. Hopefully the Caribbean is more informal and his dress is accepted.

When on our Baltic Cruise in May, my husband went to the MDR the 2nd night in dress pants, dress shirt and a string tie. He was given a jacket (a little tight which made him look uncomfortable) to wear. No one was allowed to the MDR without a jacket. We then only ate on the Lido. Hopefully the Caribbean is more informal and his dress is accepted.

Was this before the dress code changed? I've never seen this happen on any cruise even when there were formal nights.