New Latitude Tiers

TheDougOut

I'm the first to admit that it was too easy to get to Platinum, as I did it in 4 cruises. Since I currently have four more booked @ > 9 months out, I'll make Platinum Plus in 8 cruises (not that the added benefits mean anything to me).

I'm wondering if this new program was actually finalized before it was leaked, but the leak forced their hand.

It wasn't easy for us to get to Platinum. Had to complete 14 cruises. We are now at 278 points so no chance of ever going beyond Platinum Plus

The number of cruises required to make Platinum Plus without the 9+ month booking extra points will mean that few will make that level.

Regarding the Ambassador tier it gives everyone something to aim for. It answers all those people who complained under the old scheme that there was no further reward to loyalty after Platinum. I reckon I need to do 59 more 7 day cruises before I get there. No doubt the scheme will have changed (or I will be dead.. or broke) before that happens. However I cant complaint that there is nothing to aim for.

Royal Caribbean does not have an early booking bonus and I made D+ (175 points) in eleven cruises. I went from Emerald (I had 69 points) to D+ in five cruises and from Diamond (80 to 174 points) to D+ in four cruises.

Considering that Platinum Plus is only 25% of Ambassador, I don't see it as that hard to achieve.

It may be easy for some people on this board to reach the 4th and 5th levels, and there are some types of cruises where you find a disproportionate number of Platinums (and now Platinum Plus) on board, but I think most "real" people need like 10 years to reach this level, if they ever make it. If there were truly "too many Platinums" in the total population of NCL customers, as people often claim around here, I think we would have seen more significant changes to the program (a much higher points threshold for Platinum, and watered down benefits once you get there).

You should see what happened to Royal Caribbean when it added the Pinnacle level (6th level). I was on a cruise where the welcome back party had to be split in two. Why? Because half the ship was Diamond (4th tier 80 to 174 points) Diamond Plus (175 to 699 points) and Pinnacle (700+ points). Some cruises now have 40+ Pinnacle members and hundreds of Diamond Plus members.

You are going to see these upper tiers grow on NCL now too.

Under the ubp we can drink as much glasses of wine as we like so I'm gonna guess that's no biggie. It's just too bad that ncl has gotten rid of a lot of their wine choices

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't worry, some people will whine no matter how few wine choices there are.

As far as I know, there has never been anything in NCL's paperwork indicating the extra point for booking 9 months out, and I would be a little surprised if a TA took the initiative to put it in writing in their documents, since it's not something they can promise you.

I know the 9+ extra point exists. I was on a cruise in December and I received the extra points for booking nine months in advance.

The room given should be equivalent to those booked the majority of the time, but I really doubt that would be the case. Probably just the inside, like you said.

Well, I would rather be inside the ship than outside the ship. :)

Not to ask the obvious, but did you upsell from below suite level or from within suite level?

Doug,

I up sold, as recent as October from mini to DOS, 6 days prior to sailing.

Received the extra point but more important, got the 3 liters of liquor.

But even MORE important. Ignore the liquor list for DOS and GV.

Order what you want.

I know the 9+ extra point exists. I was on a cruise in December and I received the extra points for booking nine months in advance.

We all know that as many of us have received them. That is not the point at question.

People are concerned that bookings made 9 months ago will not carry the extra points if the cruises are taken after the change over on Friday 3rd February.

That has been cleared up a number of times, it will happen; not only to 2017 cruises (but also to 2018 cruises) provided the booking was made 9 months before the cruise and before 3rd Feb.

You have till Feb 3rd to book cruises that start after 3rd November to still get the 'bonus' points.

I'm the first to admit that it was too easy to get to Platinum, as I did it in 4 cruises. Since I currently have four more booked @ > 9 months out, I'll make Platinum Plus in 8 cruises (not that the added benefits mean anything to me).

I'm wondering if this new program was actually finalized before it was leaked, but the leak forced their hand.

Under the old system I would have made Platinum in four cruises also. My first cruise earned me 8 points. My second cruise earned me 26 points. Neither my first or second cruise earned my extra points for booking in advance. My last cruise earned me 33 points (which included the advance booking bonus) giving me 67 points. I'll still be over 80 with my fourth cruise, and over 100 points with my 5th cruise.

Until this thread, I never saw the need to book Haven Suites, except for the Epic & Later ships because of the Haven private dining room. Now, I'll have to rethink that view.

I only fly Business or First Class and I cruise the same. If you find that pretentious, it doesn't bother me one iota.

The airlines and the cruise lines must find folks like myself very important (VIP) or they would not have loyalty programs or Havens & Air Lounges.

If I'm paying a $1000/day, I expect a superior product & service than another paying $250/day.

It's not pretentious that you DO it. It's pretentious the way you feel the need to share it with everyone else, and talk down to those that make other choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We all know that as many of us have received them. That is not the point at question.

People are concerned that bookings made 9 months ago will not carry the extra points if the cruises are taken after the change over on Friday 3rd February.

That has been cleared up a number of times, it will happen; not only to 2017 cruises (but also to 2018 cruises) provided the booking was made 9 months before the cruise and before 3rd Feb.

You have till Feb 3rd to book cruises that start after 3rd November to still get the 'bonus' points.

Is this what you are looking for ...

How do I earn Rewards points?

You will earn one point per cruise night and an additional point per night if you book in a Suite* or in The Haven, book nine months or more in advance, or if you book with a Latitudes Insider offer. Rewards points are not applied for Cruisetour nights or hotel stay nights.

*For full fare Suites booked at the time the reservation was originally made. Does not include mini-suites.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Effective February 1, 2016, we can only credit your Latitudes account with missing points for cruises taken within the last 12 months.

How do I earn Rewards points?

You will earn one point per cruise night and an additional point per night if you book in a Suite* or in The Haven, book nine months or more in advance, or if you book with a Latitudes Insider offer. Rewards points are not applied for Cruisetour nights or hotel stay nights.

*For full fare Suites booked at the time the reservation was originally made. Does not include mini-suites.

These are the rules that were superseded by the new rules promulgated earlier this week that take effect on the 3rd February.

These are the rules that were superseded by the new rules promulgated earlier this week that take effect on the 3rd February.

Since the new rules have not been posted, you don't even have confirmation of the new points system.

Come back on February 4, 2017 and see what's new.

No.

The person who originally asked the question was looking for something on their cruise confirmation to say that they would get the extra point.

Their question has been answered as a few of us have confirmed that there has never been anything on the confirmation about the extra point.

And that was that. Nobody is looking for anything else. The question has been answered and we have moved on.

I'm the first to admit that it was too easy to get to Platinum, as I did it in 4 cruises.

I did it in 5. I only earned 1 point a day for one 7 day cruise. For everything else, I got double and triple points because I was booking 9+ months in advance and/or booking a Latitudes deal. I'll definitely miss the 9+ mos. bonus point.

Hi, are you able to post the entire onboard handout for this, so we can see the whole sentence about booking 9 months out? Thanks

What I've learned... the partial document I shared was obtained by a guest that is currently on board. It was an internal NCL document that was sent out to the CruiseNext teams explaining the new policy. Since it is an internal document, the person does not want to provide a full image of it (understood).

The document does contain what's already been shared here: bookings are still eligible for the extra point/night if booked 9 months in advance and booked prior to 2/3/17.

All PCCs should have the same information - and can confirm the policy.

NCL social media has the same information, and is providing confirmation on various social media platforms.

It's not pretentious that you DO it. It's pretentious the way you feel the need to share it with everyone else, and talk down to those that make other choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you go back and reread the posts in timeline, you will learn the initial posters tried their best to help one another ascertain the true facts surrounding the "without warning and without accurate information" roll out of the new loyalty program.

After the intial 12 hours, the FB & Twits arrived on the scene with their judgementalism, smarmism, and mockery. Suggesting posters to "lighten up" or asking "what's the big deal", etc. In short, they were not arriving to help with new information but to question and deamean cruisers who take Loyalty programs and perks seriously.

Most people would cower in silence but that's not possible for a person with Gaelic/Celtic genes. I tried to be humorous at first, with my joke about reclaiming my Irish Kingship. (I really am descended from High King U' Niall, that's even my CC User Name, as are all O'Neills and MacNeills.) Rather than enjoy my Irish humor, it served as fodder bringing more posts demanding to know "why" I needed to reach the top tier, as if something was wrong with me.

Cruise lines offer these rewards and perks because they are desired by a large customer segment. In my opinion, anyone who questions another's desire to aquire and attain loyalty programs' top status and perks is motivated by envy and jealousy. If you can think of other reasons, I'd like to hear them.

In 2006 when starting as cruisers, I asked NCL's top management to redress a grievence. When it was resolved in my favor, I pledged to make NCL Platinum in 5 years. I accomplished that goal.

Over the next 5 years I accumulated 6X the Platinum threshold but received no addtional benefits. That's when I booked 40% of our cruises with RCCI and made Diamond Plus with them in 5 years.

I do not judge another person's opinion of loyalty programs and perks but I expect them to extend me the same courtesy and respect.

We are still at gold after 9 cruises so its not that easy to get to Platinum. Just never able to plan ahead 9 months......oh well!

It took us 15 cruises so don't feel bad. It used to be that even a back to back was considered 1 cruise, that used to pee me off. I like the 60 mins of internet time though. Just hope it is per person and the laundry is per person too.

We are still at gold after 9 cruises so its not that easy to get to Platinum. Just never able to plan ahead 9 months......oh well!

Jeff,

The secret is being a retired couple with two pensions.

One pension for living expenses and the other for cruising.

While I'm infusing humor, it's also the truth.

John

Since the new rules have not been posted, you don't even have confirmation of the new points system.

The new rules that are valid when booking on or after Februar 3, 2017 are listed here (as I live in Norway, I only have access to the Norwegian webpage, so that is why my link has the "/no/" in the URL address, but other than that it is the same):

https://www.ncl.com/no/en/latitudes-rewards-program-enhancements

And it clearly states that you only get extra points for booking a suite or a Latitude insider offer if you book on or after February 3, 2017....

Edited by TrumpyNor

Jeff,

The secret is being a retired couple with two pensions.

One pension for living expenses and the other for cruising.

While I'm infusing humor, it's also the truth.

John

That works, I like your logic. Now if our kids ever gave us back the money they "borrowed" we could cruise even more. See you on the Jewel.

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program-enhancements

It's helpful if you read the thread before posting... I know, I know... it's the internet and nobody reads TFT on the internet.

That works, I like your logic. Now if our kids ever gave us back the money they "borrowed" we could cruise even more. See you on the Jewel.

Brian & Sandra,

Is that you?

Small Cruise Critic world, ehhh ? (I think that's Canadian for "don't you agree")

Thanks for the shout out.

By the by, I've had 2 cancelations on the Roll Call.

That also opens 2 slots for the Panama Canal Transit Party in my Suite.

Email me, if you want to fill the slots: john e mc neal at M S N DOT COM

See you soon for our 14 days from Miami to LA.

John

PS

I'll be racking up 42 points (including the 9 month bonus).

That will put me at 604 points.

I can feel the NCL Luv.... LOL

Edited by Uniall