New Latitude Tiers

TheDougOut

I too find it amazing that folks are getting so upset about these changes.

As far as I can see every single level is better than it was before. Furthermore they have acted to correct the main criticisms of the previous scheme, i.e. it was too easy to get to top level and then there was nothing else to aim for after that.

I can understand some folks being irked that they are not getting to the next level as quickly as previously. However the flip side to that is once they do get there then it will be that bit more exclusive.

NCL has made the same mistake that Royal Caribbean did. Both have six levels, yet everyone can reach to fifth level with only 25% of the points needed for the sixth level. As a result too many people will easily make it to the 4th and 5th levels causing a log jam at those two levels.

I'm at the fifth level with Royal Caribbean and my next cruise on NCL will put me at the fourth level.

NCL has made the same mistake that Royal Caribbean did. Both have six levels, yet everyone can reach to fifth level with only 25% of the points needed for the sixth level. As a result too many people will easily make it to the 4th and 5th levels causing a log jam at those two levels.

I'm at the fifth level with Royal Caribbean and my next cruise on NCL will put me at the fourth level.

The number of cruises required to make Platinum Plus without the 9+ month booking extra points will mean that few will make that level.

Regarding the Ambassador tier it gives everyone something to aim for. It answers all those people who complained under the old scheme that there was no further reward to loyalty after Platinum. I reckon I need to do 59 more 7 day cruises before I get there. No doubt the scheme will have changed (or I will be dead.. or broke) before that happens. However I cant complaint that there is nothing to aim for.

Until this thread, I never saw the need to book Haven Suites, except for the Epic & Later ships because of the Haven private dining room. Now, I'll have to rethink that view.

I only fly Business or First Class and I cruise the same. If you find that pretentious, it doesn't bother me one iota.

The airlines and the cruise lines must find folks like myself very important (VIP) or they would not have loyalty programs or Havens & Air Lounges.

If I'm paying a $1000/day, I expect a superior product & service than another paying $250/day.

Good for you, I wish I could. I love when I get great deals for a fraction of the cost I mostly stay in 4 or 5 star hotels for way less than others and expect to be treated the same.

I have been lucky on a few cruises to have been treated like a queen, despite my level or room. I dream of one day being able to be in the suites and fly first class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I'd disagree that it will now be too easy to get to Platinum and especially Platinum Plus.

Ignoring the insider offer extra point, it would take 12 seven day cruises (or 6 in a suite) to get to Platinum and about 25 to get Platinum Plus.

That sounds about right to me.

Booked the Star TA last night for April 2018. Asked NCL agent about double points. At first she said "no" & we mentioned the Feb. 3rd deadline. She said "you're correct". Printed out the paperwork, NO double points. Emailed her, waiting to hear back.

I am also Plat Plus. You (we) have also lost a bottle of wine at your second Latitudes dinner. Some will argue that is made up for by getting a bottle of sparkling wine in your room and, I guess on a "per ounce of booze" basis that is technically true BUT the sparkling wine IMO is undrinkable and the list of complimentary wines by the bottle for Latitudes dinners was at least passable. For me this is a loss. For others, especially those who select the beverage package, this is likely irrelevant. I will say there is no guarantee that there will always be some equivalent of free at sea where UBP will be available AND for folks like us who like wine (preferably bottle service at the table - part of a fine dining experience) but don't drink much otherwise the UBP actually ends up costing us money (except when we stay in suites).

For us it is also a loss that the second meal must be at what we (and I suspect many others) consider to be lesser restaurants. We very much looked forward to two meals at Le Bistro with a bottle of passable red.

At the risk of repeating and earlier comment I made - if the laundry becomes one free bag per stateroom instead of per member, that is a loss. There are also others (not us) who travel with 3+ Plats in one stateroom and they will lose out on dinners big time.

Again, these changes don't matter too much to us but for what we value we are not really ahead in the Plat Plus category with the exception of internet minutes if that is per member.

Agree the loss of the 2nd bottle of wine is a loss, however didn't mention it as most have UBP that consume alcohol anyway. I also love Le Bistro, but have been Platinum for so long it is getting boring. Much prefer the variety the new scheme will offer.

I have no doubt that some will value the new additions more than others and equally some will miss the items we have lost. However surely there most be some of the new benefits you like. If you take just one shore excursion it will likely cover the cost of that bottle of win :)

It may be easy for some people on this board to reach the 4th and 5th levels, and there are some types of cruises where you find a disproportionate number of Platinums (and now Platinum Plus) on board, but I think most "real" people need like 10 years to reach this level, if they ever make it. If there were truly "too many Platinums" in the total population of NCL customers, as people often claim around here, I think we would have seen more significant changes to the program (a much higher points threshold for Platinum, and watered down benefits once you get there).

Agree the loss of the 2nd bottle of wine is a loss, however didn't mention it as most have UBP that consume alcohol anyway. I also love Le Bistro, but have been Platinum for so long it is getting boring. Much prefer the variety the new scheme will offer.

I have no doubt that some will value the new additions more than others and equally some will miss the items we have lost. However surely there most be some of the new benefits you like. If you take just one shore excursion it will likely cover the cost of that bottle of win :)

Under the ubp we can drink as much glasses of wine as we like so I'm gonna guess that's no biggie. It's just too bad that ncl has gotten rid of a lot of their wine choices

Booked the Star TA last night for April 2018. Asked NCL agent about double points. At first she said "no" & we mentioned the Feb. 3rd deadline. She said "you're correct". Printed out the paperwork, NO double points. Emailed her, waiting to hear back.
As far as I know, there has never been anything in NCL's paperwork indicating the extra point for booking 9 months out, and I would be a little surprised if a TA took the initiative to put it in writing in their documents, since it's not something they can promise you.

Do you think the free cruise will be like the bingo 's free cruise?

Only for the Caribbean and max worth $1200 inside room.

The room given should be equivalent to those booked the majority of the time, but I really doubt that would be the case. Probably just the inside, like you said.

It very well could be. It's not a deal break of any sort, just a disappointment.

I agree especially as have traveled with 3 of us ladies in a room and we split the cost of the cruise evenly. But all you can do is talk to your concierge or ships officers and they can work it out for you pleasantly.

***snip***

Losing the extra point for 9 month out bookings is a bit of a pain, but folks have been complaining for years on CC that it has been far too easy to get to Platinum. I guess you have to be careful what you wish for.

Of course I would have preferred a free or discounted cruise. Who wouldn't? However NCL is a business and has to be run as such. All I can do compare what I have now versus this time last week.

I'm the first to admit that it was too easy to get to Platinum, as I did it in 4 cruises. Since I currently have four more booked @ > 9 months out, I'll make Platinum Plus in 8 cruises (not that the added benefits mean anything to me).

I'm wondering if this new program was actually finalized before it was leaked, but the leak forced their hand.

As far as I know, there has never been anything in NCL's paperwork indicating the extra point for booking 9 months out, and I would be a little surprised if a TA took the initiative to put it in writing in their documents, since it's not something they can promise you.

Thanks for the reply. On our last 2 NCL cruises we booked a year out & got double points both times. We will wait & see.

If I understand you correctly, you are currently on 14 points, and are bronze. Under the old scheme, they points you would get from the upcoming cruise would take you above 20 points and you would therefore be silver for your next cruise.

However, as the points required for silver have now increased to 30 points, you are wondering whether you will still be made silver as the cruise was already booked.

Is that what you are saying? If so then the answer is almost certainly no. All that they have said is that they will still give the extra point for booking 9 months out if the cruise is already booked, and that you won't move down from a tier that you have already reached. You will have to hit the revised number of points to move up a tier though.

Although NCL reserves the right to change the Latitudes program, I don't think it would hurt to contact them and ask if they would honor your situation because when you booked that was part of the basis of the bargain. All they can do is say no, and you are no worse off for asking. I am in the same situation, about to sail in Feb. and thought I was about to turn gold once that cruise was completed. I contacted my TA and am waiting for a reply. It would be great customer service if they made good for the people who were already booked before 2/3 and are about to move to a higher status. I feel like the cost to NCL would be negligible but would mean alot in good will.

Where are you seeing multiple answers? All I've seen is their FB posts confirming that cruises booked prior to 2/3/2017 will be eligible for the extra point bonus.

This statement clarified that's it's not just for 2017 cruises...

e76047e478a7a439953e3084ca604cbf.jpg

And one other about the emails...

dbccec87e8028889672d06504c9d6d44.jpg

And this is being handed out onboard, which appears (even though it's cutoff) to offer similar language about the extra point...

114fe74001199868a08dea87bccf1973.jpg

Hi, are you able to post the entire onboard handout for this, so we can see the whole sentence about booking 9 months out? Thanks

I can confirm the answer you were given above.

I've booked most of our cruises over 9 months out and there has never been anything on any of the paperwork to signify the extra point.

The first you see of it is when the points et posted to your account.

From NCL twitter account. Ways To Earn Rewards Points

Earn 1 point for every cruise night.

Earn 1 additional point per night for booking in a Suite* or in The Haven.

Earn 1 additional point per night when booking a Latitudes Rewards Insider Offer.

*Full fare suites booked when reservation was originally made. Does not include mini-suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm the first to admit that it was too easy to get to Platinum, as I did it in 4 cruises. Since I currently have four more booked @ > 9 months out, I'll make Platinum Plus in 8 cruises (not that the added benefits mean anything to me).

I'm wondering if this new program was actually finalized before it was leaked, but the leak forced their hand.

I've done 5 cruises and only just got to gold and will only be platinum in 2 more cruises if they do honor the over 9 months as I have a 11 day raise and 7 day cruise. Currently sitting at 49 points and thanks to being grandfathered into stay at gold for these next 2 cruises not until 2018 lol

No, you didn't. If you upgraded, you got the extra point. They do not give extra points for an upsell. They never did - at least not since Kevin left.

YES I DID, The last 3 upsells I received triple points, my last upsell was the 12 nighter that became a 14 nighter and I received 42 points for that cruise. That was a year ago.

My upsell before that was that Thansgiving and I received 21 points on that. FYI on both of those cruises Kevin was already gone.

YES I DID, The last 3 upsells I received triple points, my last upsell was the 12 nighter that became a 14 nighter and I received 42 points for that cruise. That was a year ago.

My upsell before that was that Thansgiving and I received 21 points on that. FYI on both of those cruises Kevin was already gone.

Not to ask the obvious, but did you upsell from below suite level or from within suite level?