New Latitude Tiers

TheDougOut

But what about the people like my mom who every other year take my sisters family and my family on a cruise. Sometimes we stay in the Haven, sometimes balcony cabins. She is paying MUCH more than $1000 a day, especially if we multiple cabins in the Haven. However, she is only getting credit for her particilar reservation and Im still collecting my 21 points for a cruise I didnt pay. She pays more than $1000 when we are all in balconies too but she should be treated differently than you?

Maybe it should be based on what you pay.

Also, RCCL has many Pinnicale and above due to not so long ago up to about the 90s when your status was based on sailings, not days at sea. There were many retirees that would sail 3 and 4 nights and get the same credit I did for a 7 night cruise. We usually book two cabins for our family of four and when the kids were young, we didnt get any credit although the kids eventually did. My dd is 22 and Platinum on NCL, although I have nights lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You could reimburse your Mom.

There is the flaw again. It is a tax on the purchase of gasoline, not on usage.

I realize a tax on gasoline does not equate well to actual road usage, that is why the government wants to come up with a different method of funding road usage.

I was referring to the inequity of two similar cars driving the same number of miles, but having to pay different amounts to use the road because the two cars get different gas mileage.

I realize a tax on gasoline does not equate well to actual road usage, that is why the government wants to come up with a different method of funding road usage.

I was referring to the inequity of two similar cars driving the same number of miles, but having to pay different amounts to use the road because the two cars get different gas mileage.

Yes, but you can't create a scenario where you compare different things (even if you call them similar) and then complain that the differences are somehow unfair because they aren't the same.

I think it's pretty interesting how NCL matches Royal Caribbean now. Here's Royal status.

Platinum 30-54

Emerald 55-79

Diamond 80-174

Diamond plus 175-699

Pinnacle 700+

You forgot Gold, which is below Platinum.

Yes, but you can't create a scenario where you compare different things (even if you call them similar) and then complain that the differences are somehow unfair because they aren't the same.

I'm not comparing different things. Two similar cars driving the same number of miles. I can't compare the same car.

It is no different than comparing inside cabins on Carnival with inside cabins on NCL.

I'm not comparing different things. Two similar cars driving the same number of miles. I can't compare the same car.

It is no different than comparing inside cabins on Carnival with inside cabins on NCL.

What you fail to grasp is that the miles driven are not relevant to the fairness of a tax based on gallons purchased (NOT on miles driven). Perhaps some introspection might show you where the disconnect lies. Perhaps not.

When Royal Caribbean switched from points per cruise to points per night, I had eight cruise points and that was converted to 69 nights points. There was a big debate on what was fairer, points per night or points per cruise.

Princess uses both systems. Both NCL and Royal Caribbean give an extra point per night to those in suites. Royal Caribbean gives an extra point per night for solo cruisers. HAL gives extra points depending on how much you spend onboard. There is no system that is fair to everyone.

The national gas tax is about 18¢ per gallon. It is supposed to be used to maintain the roads. But all electric cars don't use gas, so they don't pay anything to help maintain the roads they are using. Now there is talk about using a different system to make that fairer.

However, even the current system is not fair when comparing all gas vehicles. Take two cars, both the same model. One has a V8 and gets 15 miles to the gallon. The other has a V6 and gets 18 miles per gallon. Both cause the same amount of wear and tear to the roads, yet the one getting 18 miles to the gallon is paying "only" 1¢ per mile while the one getting 15 miles per gallon is paying 1.2¢ per mile (a 20% increase).

Is that fair?

Fair enough <The bigger Heavier V 8 car does do more road wear.

MSC also matches status.

MSC is a different status match, it is a match of other cruise lines loyalty programs, not between cruise lines in the same company. It is also for people new to MSC. It is also only kept if you continue to sail MSC at least every 3 years.

I think it's pretty interesting how NCL matches Royal Caribbean now. Here's Royal status.

Platinum 30-54

Emerald 55-79

Diamond 80-174

Diamond plus 175-699

Pinnacle 700+

coincidence? I don't think so. For those of you that are still complaining that NCL just changes things without thinking about it. With this change, you need to think again. I believe they a positioning themselves to exactly where they want to be.They view Royal as their top competitor.

Where can I find a link with info on NCL matching with Royal points? thanks!

Yeah - I wonder if this is a sign of things to come. The 9-month bonus may be gone, but maybe there will be more liberal insider offers for that extra point. Maybe a good thing?

If they have liberal offers for insiders it would be a great thing. It may be really close dates, but if the price is right and with the extra point I would pack fast.

Edited by ALS1214

I was wondering if my dd is accruing points. She will be platinum when she is old enough if that the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She should be accruing the points. When my dd and ds turned 18, I made a new NCL account for them and there points were all counted.

What you fail to grasp is that the miles driven are not relevant to the fairness of a tax based on gallons purchased (NOT on miles driven). Perhaps some introspection might show you where the disconnect lies. Perhaps not.

Yes they are. The tax is for road upkeep. So each should pay according to how much wear and tear they cause to the road. However, that does not happen. Instead each pays according to how much gas they use. Some (the owners of all electric cars) don't pay anything. Other (owners of off road vehicles and other things that use gas but don't drive on the public roads) end up paying for something that they do not use.

Yes they are. The tax is for road upkeep. So each should pay according to how much wear and tear they cause to the road. However, that does not happen. Instead each pays according to how much gas they use. Some (the owners of all electric cars) don't pay anything. Other (owners of off road vehicles and other things that use gas but don't drive on the public roads) end up paying for something that they do not use.

Yes, but you can't conflate the basis for tax collection with the end use of the tax dollars collected. It is an obvious apple/orange issue.

I would respond, except I forgot what the original point was.

You were trying to make the case that a tax on the purchase of gasoline was "unfair" because people freely choose to drive cars that got different gas mileage. :rolleyes: