Dress Code

MAMA "B"

Are black jeans acceptable in the main dining room on formal night? How about sneakers...it's a man thing.....

Exact quote from Maitred's announcement on the Conquest 3 weeks ago, "wear pants."

It's been like that for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow. People wonder why this forum gets a bad rap, then you look at some of the snarky or condescending answers above and realize why.

To answer the op's question, as is the purpose of this place: Technically no you cannot as dress code forbids jeans on formal nights. But experience tells us that if you look nice overall it is highly unlikely anyone will say anything.

Wow. People wonder why this forum gets a bad rap, then you look at some of the snarky or condescending answers above and realize why.

If you were talking about my post then know I've seen this on enough cruises to make the "coveted" diamond in July. In 2016 and 2015 my wife and I took eight cruises on five ships and not one person was turned away at the door. We request a table on the lower level, near the entrance for every cruise, so this is visible first hand.

If you weren't talking about my post then please disregard.

Edited by BallFour4

To answer the op's question, as is the purpose of this place: Technically no you cannot as dress code forbids jeans on formal nights. But experience tells us that if you look nice overall it is highly unlikely anyone will say anything.

If your talking about my post just giving our experience after about 30 cruises in past 10 years, nothing more nothing less

Here is what I don't get about Carnival's Dress Code...what they have on their website differs from what they list in the funtimes. On their website for casual night, it states NO T-Shirts...but in the Funtimes for casual night it is ok...just says no t-shirts for cruise elegant. If they are going to allow anything, maybe they need to change their policy. I actually prefer NCL's freestyle dress code.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Edited by realmccoy
Error

Are black jeans acceptable in the main dining room on formal night? How about sneakers...it's a man thing.....

Ok here is what the website says. Cruise Elegant Dress Code: Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouse; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown. NOT PERMITTED: Jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire. So I would say no black jeans are not ok. And if more people would follow the rules they agreed to follow, when they booked the cruise there would be less problems with things like the dress code.

I guarantee no one will bat an eye at black jeans and you will have no issues.

I agree cruised 10 times now ,, last 7 (over last 5 years) I wear new blue jeans , black tennis shoes and a polo shirt , Never looked at or turned away , Last 2-3 cruises , I have seen t-shirts and older jeans , No one is turned away ... What someone wears never bothers me ...

I agree cruised 10 times now ,, last 7 (over last 5 years) I wear new blue jeans , black tennis shoes and a polo shirt , Never looked at or turned away , Last 2-3 cruises , I have seen t-shirts and older jeans , No one is turned away ... What someone wears never bothers me ...

Never understood why anyone would care what others wear.

This has always been a very finicky subject. A lot of the older folk like to really dress up and wear a tux or suit and tie. Where a lot of the younger folk do not. It was a subject JH posted about yesterday on FB and got feedback. I was browsing the comments and the majority of people said they did not like formal night. My family would personally fit into that crowd. I don't wear a tie, I don't own a tux and I only wear a suit if I am going to a close family members funeral.

On formal night I wear khakis and a polo shirt. I do enjoy looking at the people who dress up and how they go all out. But on the other end of the spectrum, it doesn't bother me when people don't. It's not my business nor does it change the taste of the food I am eating.

poloboys2.jpg

(That's not me btw)

Based on experience, wearing black jeans with a nice shirt and tennis shoes would be perfectly fine and nobody would bat an eye at you.

DH used to wear black jeans with black leather sneakers and a nice shirt. There was never any problem and I thought he looked just fine.

These days he finds it more comfortable to wear lighter weight slacks(light blue) with a nice shirt and white leather sneakers.

He is comfortable and I think he looks great!!

It is your vacation!! Be happy and enjoy it!

Wear what you think works for you and you consider suitable for an "advertised" elegant night. If the maitre d' or the wait staff find you "underdressed" based on the particular ships interpretation of appropriate dress they can ask you to vacate the dining room. In all my cruising I have never seen it happen, even as cruising has become more and more casual.

And, I for one, don't equate black denim trousers with sloppy jeans and nice "sneakers" don't equate with run down and dirty shoes best reserved for other activities.

The only person I have seen turned away from the MDR on elegant night was an adult male wearing shorts(not even "dress" shorts) and sneakers.

DH wouldn't think of wearing shorts at night even on non elegant nights but that is of course up to the individual.

The dress code has been posted so you now know what is "acceptable" and what is not.

The people that say it doesn't matter, jeans will be allowed, are correct.

But, once in awhile, it matters to the people at the door and you might be asked to conform.

Just be prepared for that and have a Plan B.

I don't agree that it's a man thing. Man do and know how to dress appropriately, and a sentence that asks if it is ok for jeans and sneakers on an evening designed to dress up for kind of has the opposite affect of downgrading man, and kind of stereotyping man as slobs.

However, Carnival does not have a Formal night, so therefore, the question is not needed. On the other nights, from my experience and what most people post, anything goes, regardless of the dress code for the night.

I don't agree that it's a man thing. Man do and know how to dress appropriately, and a sentence that asks if it is ok for jeans and sneakers on an evening designed to dress up for kind of has the opposite affect of downgrading man, and kind of stereotyping man as slobs.

I'm inclined to agree, and wish there was a simple, enforced policy.

But... we are on a board, and fans of a cruise line that has men yelling like Tarzan, sliding down a staircase and then dancing (grinding) in the lap of some women judges.

No amount of salt air or drinks in coconut monkeys will make that participant or crowd that's cheering wildly become Formal/ Cruise Elegant night ready in two hours.

Yes my daughter and her boyfriend wore jeans. He wore black jeans and a nice shirt, she wore jeans and a dressy top, with converse tennis shoes. No one questioned them at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app