Any way around buying Cheers for EVERYONE?

blaken09

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been covered, I did a search and could not find the answer.

I know policy is that everyone in the stateroom of legal drinking age MUST purchase the Cheers drink package. Is there ANY way around that without booking my own room? The other two folks I'm traveling with do not drink whatsoever therefore they have no interest in a drink package. I can definitely drink my $$ worth with the drink package and would hate to have to buy drinks one at a time because of this policy forcing everyone in the room to have to purchase the package. Thanks for any advice and help!

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been covered, I did a search and could not find the answer.

I know policy is that everyone in the stateroom of legal drinking age MUST purchase the Cheers drink package. Is there ANY way around that without booking my own room? The other two folks I'm traveling with do not drink whatsoever therefore they have no interest in a drink package. I can definitely drink my $$ worth with the drink package and would hate to have to buy drinks one at a time because of this policy forcing everyone in the room to have to purchase the package. Thanks for any advice and help!

No, considering the way you are booked with two other people in the cabin. I'm in the same boat as my wife doesn't drink at all. I have my fingers crossed that Carnival will soon get in line with other cruise lines and move away from this rule. But it has to make financial sense for them to consider it. I just wish we had an option for a package, I would even consider a lower drink limit to keep the sharing possibilities low, considering this is the real reason they don't offer it, its about the money. Even pregnant females are required to purchase the package.

Good luck. My mom not only doesnt drink, she CANT drink because of her meds. A Dr's note would not even work.

This is the only downside to a Cheers package. Other cruiselines have dropped the rule so why cant Carnival? Unfortunately, I doubt there are any plans to change the rule.

Plan on buying by the drink.

Although I don't think it will be an added inconvenience timewise - even if you have the Cheers package, you still have to order a drink the same way, from either a server or bartender, and you still have to sign the slip. It might be a bit more expensive, depending on what and how many drinks you order, of course.

KC

Look, until they figure out a way to prevent "sharing" with say your spouse or other people in your cabin (or a person of age person sharing with an underage person), they will not change the cheers program.

DH and I could easily do the cheers program if we could "share" one package, I hardly drink at all (a glass of wine or foofoo drink once or twice a day). Would never be worth us getting the package for both of us at $800 - $900 for the week. Not even sure it would be worth it for one of us BUT I could def add a couple specialty coffees to the tab a day and then one package would be good for us.

We totally understand why they do not allow this as they lose way too much money if everyone shares and lets face it, everyone would share ;)...

Edited by Drazil65

Good luck. My mom not only doesnt drink, she CANT drink because of her meds. A Dr's note would not even work.

This is the only downside to a Cheers package. Other cruiselines have dropped the rule so why cant Carnival? Unfortunately, I doubt there are any plans to change the rule.

Plan on buying by the drink.

Let's not fool ourselves- CCL offers the Cheers package to make money, not for passenger convenience. CCL's demographics are different than other cruise lines. As long as the cruise line is making money they will continue to have this rule.

I agree that sharing is one of the reasons Carnival has in place the rule that everyone over 21 in the stateroom must purchase. Let's face it Carnival knows their passengers can't follow rules. I could fill a page with questions found here on CC asking about "against the rules/does Carnival enforce it" From smoking on the balcony to jeans on formal night in the MDR to placing carry on only items in your checked luggage.

If one in your party drinks and the other one doesn't then the Cheers package isn't for you. If each of you can drink six or seven alcoholic drinks per day then maybe you need to do a cost analysis.

To those that ask about a doctors note: Some doctors, not all but certainly some, will write a note for almost anything. This dilutes the authority of a "doctors note". It is another case of the few impacting the many. And there are many diagnosis that shouldn't drink such as diabetics or pregnancy. Often times medication will advise not to consume alcohol. That doesn't stop people from drinking. Take a look around the sail away party at the number of people drinking while wearing a scopolamine patch. People don't follow the rule even when it is in their best interest.

Well, the cruise lines that do not require this are obviously making money because most if not all went that direction. It is also likely Carnival is losing money. They have already lost at least $800 from two people on this thread buy not allowing it. Now, the remaining question is how many people would only buy one package and attempt to share, in such case they would lose some money. Personally, I think limiting the amount of drinks under this package would assist in this. I'm not holding my breath waiting on this to happen with Carnival, they're always the very last to even consider such changes.

Well, the cruise lines that do not require this are obviously making money because most if not all went that direction. It is also likely Carnival is losing money. They have already lost at least $800 from two people on this thread buy not allowing it. Now, the remaining question is how many people would only buy one package and attempt to share, in such case they would lose some money. Personally, I think limiting the amount of drinks under this package would assist in this. I'm not holding my breath waiting on this to happen with Carnival, they're always the very last to even consider such changes.

They lost 400.00 from me on my last cruise and will lose 400.00 from me on the next cruise. I did most of my drinking in port and will do the same in October.

Let's not fool ourselves- CCL offers the Cheers package to make money, not for passenger convenience. CCL's demographics are different than other cruise lines. As long as the cruise line is making money they will continue to have this rule.

Agreed. I think they ALL offer drink packages for the sole purpose of making money and while I have a limited Carnival experience, I really dont think Carnivals demographic differs all that much than the other cruiseline I have frequented in the past :)

Carnival insists that everyone in the cabin MUST PURCHASE CHEERS....THEN THEY HAVE THE THE AUDACITY...to limit the number of drinks you can have...REALLY??? ROYAL CARIBBEAN does not have these rules....ANYONE (EVEN 1 IN A CABIN CAN PURCHASE) AND UNLIMITED DRINKS....GET WITH THE PROGRAM CARNIVAL....

Agreed. I think they ALL offer drink packages for the sole purpose of making money and while I have a limited Carnival experience, I really dont think Carnivals demographic differs all that much than the other cruiseline I have frequented in the past :)

It's a polite way of saying you would have a lot of folks sharing;). CCL knows their passengers better than you or I do and I'm sure it was all taken into account when making the rules.

Booking your own cabin is the only way that I'm aware of for your scenario.

What if he book his own cabin and purchased cheers... Then he add the other passengers? I they will likely be moved to another cabin but maybe he could get away without them realizing not everyone have cheers.

I don't know if that would work. Just a crazy thought.

They lost 400.00 from me on my last cruise and will lose 400.00 from me on the next cruise. I did most of my drinking in port and will do the same in October.

They've lost at least $2000 from me since starting the Cheers program. Realistically, I think the majority of the people that purchase this program are gonna look at the 15 drink limit and wonder if that's going to be enough :confused: . So they're gonna go ahead and get two packages so they can both be comfortably numb all day.

What if he book his own cabin and purchased cheers... Then he add the other passengers? I they will likely be moved to another cabin but maybe he could get away without them realizing not everyone have cheers.

That would work however, after re-booking and paying the single solo supplement the OP would've been better off paying as you guy in all likelihood. Or either just paying all in for the other 2 to have the package. It would just depend on the length of the cruise and room rates.

Edit: I read you what you said again, I'm not sure if that would work or not. It could only possibly work on a fresh booking.

Edited by Jeffy294

I know they aren't checking here to keep score but I'll add myself to the list of people who would buy 1 package if they'd let me share. Absolutely no way I'm buying 2 packages but I almost certainly would buy one if we could share it.

They already limit it to 15 alcoholic drinks a day so they wouldn't lose a thing by allowing us to share alcohol. Maybe they need to limit the non-alcohol too - it must be all those vitamin waters and specialty coffees that are eating up the profits.

I would even consider a small sharing fee over and above the single person price. 40~50 bucks extra but we can share? sign me up. She'll never drink enough liquor to make me feel like I got shorted but she would love to get some of the coffee and soda.

No. As soon as another adult is added at any time to the cabin, it will be flagged and Cheers will be added to the reservation for the other passenger(s).

No, considering the way you are booked with two other people in the cabin. I'm in the same boat as my wife doesn't drink at all. I have my fingers crossed that Carnival will soon get in line with other cruise lines and move away from this rule. But it has to make financial

sense for them to consider it. I just wish we had an option for a package, I would even consider a lower drink limit to keep the sharing possibilities low, considering this is the real reason they don't offer it, its about the money. Even pregnant females are required to purchase the package.

If Carnival DOES move away from the rule that everyone in the same cabin must purchase it, you can bet the price per day will rise significantly.

I highly doubt Carnival would lose money if they allowed only 1 to buy even if they shared. That's why they have the 15 drink limit. If I hit my 15 everyday they aren't going to lose whether I do it myself or share a few. They'd be more worried about losing the money from those who were made to buy it and don't drink but a few a day.

There are others on this forum who don't think that 15 drinks are enough so Carnival is damned either way. Poor Fun Ship Freddy! He probably would drink himself to death if there wasn't that friggin' 15 max.

Edited by cruise pup