What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

So, got the email this morning that our bid for mini-suite to forward suite w/ large balcony was accepted for this Saturday on the Gem.Started out in a comped CAS inside which we up graded to a mini suite. We bid in the low fair range. Really looking forward to this cruise, first time in a suite!

So, got the email this morning that our bid for mini-suite to forward suite w/ large balcony was accepted for this Saturday on the Gem.Started out in a comped CAS inside which we up graded to a mini suite. We bid in the low fair range. Really looking forward to this cruise, first time in a suite!

Congrats, so you are in a 9xxx or 10xxx like 10000? Those are nice rooms with great balconies.

how far ahead do you typically get the email? We are 80 days out

Some never receive an email, I didn't. Just log into your NCL account and it should say something like "Let's get you upgraded"... just click on learn more and it'll give you the option to bid. The option becomes available at day 80 unless you're TA is not participating in this game.

Good luck

Some never receive an email, I didn't. Just log into your NCL account and it should say something like "Let's get you upgraded"... just click on learn more and it'll give you the option to bid. The option becomes available at day 80 unless you're TA is not participating in this game.

Good luck

And that is exactly what it is, a game

It's not on my account and I haven't received an email so I'm guess my travel agent does not participate. Weird since it's a large online agency

Give it until the end of the day. Mine's came later in the day on day 80

How?
Since you ask

I came to this thread because I booked a balcony guarantee and thought about upgrading . I have taken an up-sell from HAL . They offer you a deal and you take it or not . Your choice . With NCL , you are invited to upsell yourself . Put in your offer ,or offers , which must be over their minimum and then you wait and wait . Norwegian has multiple options and may accept your offer which entitles the mark the opportunity to spend more for a non-specific cabin in the category they bid on . Am I correct that they may accept your offer up 2 days prior to your cruise ? Wow!

Is any of this illegal or imoral ? Of course not ! Do you have to play this game ? Of course not ! You can walk away from this up-sell scheme . Norwegian has done a great job of creating a brilliant psychological game where the bidder has no information and they have all the knowledge .

Think about if this gimmick was used for buying a used car . " Thank you for buying a car with us . Now you are lucky enough to have been selected , lucky you , to upgrade your car for a great price . No we won't tell you the price but we are so kind that we will let you know if it's a good price or a medium price or a poor price . Trust us about that . Also we won't tell you exactly which car you are bidding on but it will be a certain type . Also, because we like you , you can make multiple offers for various upgrades .Oh no Sir , we are under no obligation to take your offer or offers . Oh and we'll let you know a couple of days before delivery which car you are going to get . Oh no Sir, once we accept your offer, there is no going back to your original car .So Sir, what's your offer ?"

Great game . Good for them .

Since you ask

I came to this thread because I booked a balcony guarantee and thought about upgrading . I have taken an up-sell from HAL . They offer you a deal and you take it or not . Your choice . With NCL , you are invited to upsell yourself . Put in your offer ,or offers , which must be over their minimum and then you wait and wait . Norwegian has multiple options and may accept your offer which entitles the mark the opportunity to spend more for a non-specific cabin in the category they bid on . Am I correct that they may accept your offer up 2 days prior to your cruise ? Wow!

Is any of this illegal or imoral ? Of course not ! Do you have to play this game ? Of course not ! You can walk away from this up-sell scheme . Norwegian has done a great job of creating a brilliant psychological game where the bidder has no information and they have all the knowledge .

Think about if this gimmick was used for buying a used car . " Thank you for buying a car with us . Now you are lucky enough to have been selected , lucky you , to upgrade your car for a great price . No we won't tell you the price but we are so kind that we will let you know if it's a good price or a medium price or a poor price . Trust us about that . Also we won't tell you exactly which car you are bidding on but it will be a certain type . Also, because we like you , you can make multiple offers for various upgrades .Oh no Sir , we are under no obligation to take your offer or offers . Oh and we'll let you know a couple of days before delivery which car you are going to get . Oh no Sir, once we accept your offer, there is no going back to your original car .So Sir, what's your offer ?"

Great game . Good for them .

LOL, that about sums it up in a nutshell. Preferred old way of calling in, they gave you a price and you either accepted it or declined.

LOL, that about sums it up in a nutshell. Preferred old way of calling in, they gave you a price and you either accepted it or declined.

Yes, I really miss the old upsell number too. Got a couple of good deals that way and you knew exactly what you were going to get. Once got a great deal while waiting at the airport for our flight to Miami.

The first time we got the email offer we put in bids, but I hated the waiting and worrying so we just watched for prices to drop and called to pay the difference on the category we wanted. Withdrawing that bid was the best move for me!

I'm just not cut out for the waiting to see what might happen and I love to pick out our exact cabin. Good luck to those of you have the stamina to get thru this current process.

I was booked for a singles cabin on Norwegian Sky June 8 2018

Norwegian sent me an email with the opportunity to bid on an up grade

the document stated the bid would be per person

I made the bid of $250.00 Norwegian accepted my offer then billed my credit card DOUBLE

When I objected they stated to bad...….no refund. If you don't like it don't take the cruise.

But if you don't go we will still keep all the money :rolleyes:

I made the bid of $250.00 Norwegian accepted my offer then billed my credit card DOUBLE

When I objected they stated to bad...….no refund. If you don't like it don't take the cruise.

You should have continued to scroll and read, on singles it clearly states you will be charged for two. It's in the FAQ's on upgrade advantage.

I chose not to read the terms and conditions, so I feel like they shouldn’t apply to me.

Cute name. Welcome to CruiseCritic and congratulations on your first post!

If you decide to stay home, you’ll have plenty of time to read the following. Pay special attention to #10...

https://www.ncl.com/ch/en/content/upgrade-advantage-terms

Don't play the bidding game if you want to move up. After final payment (and about 5 wks from the cruise) I found prices significantly dropped. I called into reservations and was able to pay for an upgrade from my balcony to a PH suite for a lot less than the minimum bid for the same cabin. By doing this I was able to pick my cabin and also receive ALL the perks. From what I've been reading with bidding, you only retain your original perks and no extra. Kind of a scam in my opinion.

We just got the email accepting our bid for a balcony. We were in an oceanview. We have three in the cabin so I am very happy to have some extra room.! I bid at the high end but still ended up paying a whole lot less than we would have. But I really wanted the balcony and it was too expensive when we originally booked, We are on the NCL Star, 8 July. First time on NCL.

I'm not sure why some people get so worked up about the upgrades that they call them a scam. It's a pretty simple concept, if you want a certain room then pay the cost of that room. If you'll be happy with the room you're in but would love a cheaper upgrade then use the upgrade bidding process. I don't see the scam here. Bid what you're willing to bid and if you win congrats. If not you'll still have a great room on and a wonderful cruise. If you're bidding with the expectation of winning you made a bad decision and should've just booked the room you wanted for whatever NCL was going to charge you. Why would I get upset that someone who bid more than me would win the bid over me.

I was on the Escape last July. Originally booked an ocean view and received an upgrade to a balcony for $400 less than I ever could've booked it through any travel company. And trust me I looked for over year for a cheaper price on a balcony. We are booked on the Getaway later this month in a balcony cabin. I bid on several Haven rooms and if I'm lucky enough to win great. If I don't I'll be very satisfied with my current room.🤔

I'm not sure why some people get so worked up about the upgrades that they call them a scam. It's a pretty simple concept, if you want a certain room then pay the cost of that room. If you'll be happy with the room you're in but would love a cheaper upgrade then use the upgrade bidding process. I don't see the scam here. Bid what you're willing to bid and if you win congrats. If not you'll still have a great room on and a wonderful cruise. If you're bidding with the expectation of winning you made a bad decision and should've just booked the room you wanted for whatever NCL was going to charge you. Why would I get upset that someone who bid more than me would win the bid over me.

I was on the Escape last July. Originally booked an ocean view and received an upgrade to a balcony for $400 less than I ever could've booked it through any travel company. And trust me I looked for over year for a cheaper price on a balcony. We are booked on the Getaway later this month in a balcony cabin. I bid on several Haven rooms and if I'm lucky enough to win great. If I don't I'll be very satisfied with my current room.🤔

(y)(y)

Clearly is stated that a single will be charged as a double occupancy.

We just got the email accepting our bid for a balcony. We were in an oceanview. We have three in the cabin so I am very happy to have some extra room.! I bid at the high end but still ended up paying a whole lot less than we would have. But I really wanted the balcony and it was too expensive when we originally booked, We are on the NCL Star, 8 July. First time on NCL.

What did you bid?

Don't play the bidding game if you want to move up. (...) I called into reservations and was able to pay for an upgrade from my balcony to a PH suite for a lot less than the minimum bid for the same cabin.

It doesn’t always work out that way. For the Bliss Transatlantic, the upgrade from MA to H5 was costing around $4500pp through direct upgrade (well after final payment). Bids ended up getting accepted in the $1250pp ballpark.