Best way to relax and burn calories

tennisobo

Once around the ship is 1/3 of a mile (assuming the "proper" promenade deck of ships before Royal)

Assume walking speed about 3 miles an hour

You burn around 250 calories walking one hour

So: 9 laps takes one hour and burn 250 calories

Therefore one lap will burn: let's generously round it up to 30 calories.

Therefore... don't even THINK of going to the buffet after just one or two laps;p

LOL...no soup for you!:D

What is this "gym" of which you speak? Is it one of those mystical things best avoided? I think I "may" have heard of the Land of Gym at one time but I made a warding gesture and ran quickly (or more likely ambled slowly) in the opposite direction. Speak not of abominations! :eek:

Hi Thrak,

We have a great way for you to exercise on the Rowboat. It's called rowing and it works extremely well when the Captain wants to waterski. See you on Rowboat.

From the Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

Relaxing - Walking the Promenade, shooting baskets up on sports deck and swimming in the pool.

Burning real calories - Time in the gym and taking the stairs/ running the top deck.

Also, we try to be very active on any excursions we choose.

Still quite a challenge not to put weight on during the cruise.

Eat portions.

I actually lost weight on my last cruise.

All I did was follow a cruise lifestyle plan:

1. No deserts.

2. No breads or similar ie cakes.

3. I avoided (or minimalised) food that was white or that can be white (brown rice, brown bread etc) - that includes potatoes - shock horror!!

4. Be mindful of being as active as you can, I walked each morning for at least 1 hour or so, if I was going one deck up/down I took take steps instead of the lift as I have dodgy hips but I did as much physical activity as I could

5. Eat at the MDR this helps particularly for portion control

6. No dressing on the salads - it is not the 'low fat', it is the sugar

7. If sauce is on the meal, ask for it on the side so you regulate how much stuff you smother the meal in.

8. If going to the buffet use the small plates not the huge oval plates, and on your small plate:

a. half of the plate should be veg/salad

b. protein on the plate should be the size of your fist

c. carbs should be the size of your palm

d. if still hungry - a couple of slices of fresh fruit is better than those fruits drenched in syrup.

OK so I have probably lost most of you at 'no desert' however - everything in moderation so I am just posting what worked for me.

And I did loose weight.

My message is that if you are determined or committed to watching your waist line there is a way.

I started at 95 kg - ended up at 91 kg.

I shall now don my aluminium helmet in an tempt to divert the derision of those who are about to cast me as a heretic for not grazing like a heffer while on-board.

I am not expecting an upgrade offer from the cruise lines any time soon :D

Once around the ship is 1/3 of a mile (assuming the "proper" promenade deck of ships before Royal)

Assume walking speed about 3 miles an hour

You burn around 250 calories walking one hour

So: 9 laps takes one hour and burn 250 calories

Therefore one lap will burn: let's generously round it up to 30 calories.

Therefore... don't even THINK of going to the buffet after just one or two laps;p

Yeah not for me thanks, but whatever floats each person's boat I guess.

1. No deserts.

3. I avoided (or minimalised) food that was white or that can be white (brown rice, brown bread etc) - that includes potatoes - shock horror!!

4. Be mindful of being as active as you can, I walked each morning for at least 1 hour or so, if I was going one deck up/down I took take steps instead of the lift as I have dodgy hips but I did as much physical activity as I could

7. If sauce is on the meal, ask for it on the side so you regulate how much stuff you smother the meal in.

8. If going to the buffet use the small plates not the huge oval plates, and on your small plate:

d. if still hungry - a couple of slices of fresh fruit is better than those fruits drenched in syrup.

OK so I have probably lost most of you at 'no desert' however - everything in moderation so I am just posting what worked for me.

And I did loose weight.

My message is that if you are determined or committed to watching your waist line there is a way.

I shall now don my aluminium helmet in an tempt to divert the derision of those who are about to cast me as a heretic for not grazing like a heffer while on-board.

That fresh bread gets me, don't eat much bread at home, and pretty much never butter, but those greasy daily rolls, with real butter.....:evilsmile::hearteyes:;p

Eat portions.

yup ... +1

I thought I knew about diet and stuff.

I was surprised when my dietician showed me what an actual portion size was and what was actually good for ME. I now understand what portion sizes mean and their affect on me.

I f you are serious about this stuff - go see a dietician or doctor, it may cost you but what cost do you put on your life?

end of rant

1. No deserts.

And I did loose weight.

You might as well stay home & save some money.

Why? Cruise is not only about overeating because food is available. :)

Because if anyone has to be as restrictive

as Dobby says I wouldn't be bothered with cruising at all. Food is probably the biggest attraction the cruise line has to offer. No one is forcing anyone to over overeat but being a strict at Dobby makes it takes all the fun out of cruising altogether.

This suggestion was for people who don't want to gain weight or at least gain weight, but not a lot.

Nobody is forced to follow this approach. It works though.

If I didn't care about my weight why would I care if other people are restrictive to their diet? I would still eat as much as I want. :)

And no... I don't think it is the biggest attraction, at least not to everybody.

Now that I'm on BREO and can actually breathe while moving. I'm going to try to do the stairs for at least a couple of decks. My titanium knee works a lot better than my bad knee.

At least I'll feel like I accomplished something!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Food is a big deal for me when vacationing. It's not the main factor, but it plays a big part. I like all-inclusive resorts & cruises because I can try different foods that I might not normally eat or want to pay for, not knowing if I like it or not. I also have a major sweet tooth, so passing on desserts is not an option. :D I love the small dessert portions that are available, so I can satisfy my sweet tooth without eating a huge piece of cheesecake. Or, to be honest, so I can try multiple desserts. ;) That being said, hubby & I try to take the stairs whenever possible, and we do a lot of walking (on purpose) also. Last year, on a smaller size ship, I walked 5 miles on a sea day (Wearing a Fitbit). Going to the gym however, is not my idea of vacationing! As someone else stated, I'll worry about any weight gain when I get back.

It's nice to hear everyone's ideas and methods for keeping weight gain to a minimum. I don't fancy gaining, but no matter what I do I always do gain some...anywhere from 5-7 pounds per cruise...which are 10-14 days typically. We walk everywhere, even skipping shuttle or taxi in ports where town is several miles...and we take the steps 90% of the time too! But my thing is, I'm thin and pretty fit, and diet and exercise all the time...EXCEPT when I'm on vacation. Then I eat and drink to my heart's delight! :D

I then get right back on track when I get home. It may not be most people's ideal, but it works for me!! :cool:

I agree with you. I work out and watch my diet every day at home. I am in good shape, but when I go on vacation, I like to relax. I still work out and stay active, but I like eating all types of food, and I have been known to have a beer or two. I usually come back from a cruise a couple of pounds up. A week or two later it is gone.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a pig on the cruise, but I just relax about what I eat and drink.

That being said, if you want to eat healthy choices and even come back having lost weight, the food options make that very easy on a cruise. There is always sensible choices. Plus, finding time to workout on the cruise is much easier than at home.

It's nice to hear everyone's ideas and methods for keeping weight gain to a minimum. I don't fancy gaining, but no matter what I do I always do gain some...anywhere from 5-7 pounds per cruise...which are 10-14 days typically. We walk everywhere, even skipping shuttle or taxi in ports where town is several miles...and we take the steps 90% of the time too! But my thing is, I'm thin and pretty fit, and diet and exercise all the time...EXCEPT when I'm on vacation. Then I eat and drink to my heart's delight! :D

I then get right back on track when I get home. It may not be most people's ideal, but it works for me!! :cool:

At least, you did not waste money for your vacation and enjoyed it!

Exactly! I live a pretty healthy lifestyle and I eat healthy most of the time. I don't go on vacation to be restricted. I have been a fitness instructor for years, sometimes teaching as many as 10 classes a week. When I would go on vacation, I didn't want to step foot in the gym! Walking, yes. Stairs, yes. I also eat what I want, whenever I want it, and I deal with it when I get home. On the last cruise I was on, I gained 7 pounds and I can attribute it mostly to the desserts, pastries and breads. I got right back on track when I got home and within 2 weeks I was back to precruise weight.

Now, for our upcoming cruise we are having major discussions about where to have our first meal when we get on the ship.

Wow...this turned in to a weight loss thread. It's your cruise so if you want to not eat certain foods and spend time in the gym then good for you! I did do two cruises where I ate no bread and I didn't feel I missed out on anything of importance.

I also use the stairs most of the time. It does make a difference. We have a lot of stairs in our house so it doesn't fatigue me much to do stairs on the cruise.

On a cruise with my sister-in-law we did a stairway art tour. We went from deck 5 to the top deck and stopped to take in the art at each landing. This was surprisingly interesting. We even found one painting that was hung upside down!

My main point in the original post was that alternating walking and reading on the promenade deck was relaxing and very pleasant. I cruise because I can really let down from the stresses of my everyday life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums