Best way to relax and burn calories

tennisobo

I thought I would share my favorite sea day activity. My SIL and I like to get loungers on the Promenade deck. We take turns walking and reading. I do a lap while she reads and keeps my chair for me. Then she does a lap and I save her chair for her. After we've done enough laps we stay in our chairs until it's time to move on to the next thing (lunch, trivia, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once around the ship is 1/3 of a mile (assuming the "proper" promenade deck of ships before Royal)

Assume walking speed about 3 miles an hour

You burn around 250 calories walking one hour

So: 9 laps takes one hour and burn 250 calories

Therefore one lap will burn: let's generously round it up to 30 calories.

Therefore... don't even THINK of going to the buffet after just one or two laps;p

Thank-you for your replies. I know I'm not burning lots of calories but it's better than just sitting there for a couple of hours. We usually do multiple laps other times. I love to walk the promenade. There's just something about the view and sound of the ocean that makes those walks special. And there's no poolside music... just the wind and the waves. I love it.

Thank-you for your replies. I know I'm not burning lots of calories but it's better than just sitting there for a couple of hours. We usually do multiple laps other times. I love to walk the promenade. There's just something about the view and sound of the ocean that makes those walks special. And there's no poolside music... just the wind and the waves. I love it.

I also love to walk the upper deck early in the morning and watch the sunrise. Just wind and waves and yes, it's very special.

Best way to burn calories...never use the elevators.

That's how we do it. On a 17 day cruise I gained zero pounds. We "almost" always used the stairs. Once in a while my knees were killing me or we were in a hurry (although the stairs can be faster during busy times) but we mostly used the stairs. We had a cabin all the way aft on Baja and went up to Lido and down to everything else frequently. Lots of walking that way and lots of stairs.

Don: Greetings from a Chico neighbor. :D

That's what we do too!

Taking mom on her first cruise (she's retiring this month!)

Hope her fibromyalgia doesn't flare up on our cruise. She's claustrophobic and the elevator might freak her out.

Normally we take the stairs everywhere and feel better about it since we are in a cruise [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic!! We all have our rituals or things we enjoy while cruising.

That's our plan, too - with the exception of if my feet get sore in my heels on formal night, lol. It always amazes me that I can actually feel a difference from taking the stairs from embarkation deck up to the cabin on day one vs toward the end of the week!

Greetings thrak! Think I might have seen you in either cal java in chico or juice n java in paradise

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Were you on the New England Cruise - Caribbean Princess 10/2015 with your wife and daughter? We met a family from Paradise and they happened to know some people that we know at the Moongate Chinese Restaurant in Paradise. We don't live too far from you - we live in a disaster area right now.

To me, the gym is relaxing and that burns calories!

Yes. On my last 14 days cruise on Royal Princess (and Celebrity) I went to gym every morning and did elliptical for 65-70 minutes.

We played shuffleboard a lot and swam.

Gained only 2.5 lbs!!!!

But I avoided sweets as much as I could as well as salty foods.

Relaxing - Walking the Promenade, shooting baskets up on sports deck and swimming in the pool.

Burning real calories - Time in the gym and taking the stairs/ running the top deck.

Also, we try to be very active on any excursions we choose.

Still quite a challenge not to put weight on during the cruise.

Yes. On my last 14 days cruise on Royal Princess (and Celebrity) I went to gym every morning and did elliptical for 65-70 minutes.

We played shuffleboard a lot and swam.

Gained only 2.5 lbs!!!!

But I avoided sweets as much as I could as well as salty foods.

I walked by the gym once everyday and it worked. I did not gain any weight at all on the Royal Princess in January. It was a 20 day cruise.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

What is this "gym" of which you speak? Is it one of those mystical things best avoided? I think I "may" have heard of the Land of Gym at one time but I made a warding gesture and ran quickly (or more likely ambled slowly) in the opposite direction. Speak not of abominations! :eek:

I likewise use the fitness center on each sea day and days we may have a later excursion. I am an early riser and my wife isn't. So I go up at 6 when they open (earlier on Royal or Regal) get my kindle set up on the eliptical and do an hour.

We also try to walk the stairs. We seldom gain any weight on cruises regardless of length.