Power cords allowed?

mosiegirl

I have this. I carried this onboard in my backpack never had a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

you might never had had a problem with it but its not allowed, dangerous and I hope you dont bring it in the future because of the danger it presents.

Does it HAVE to be a battery operated fan? I ask because i had planned on taking a small plug in fan. I know we can't leave it plugged in, i just want to use at night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Forums mobile app

No to it having to be battery operated, we take a small plug in fan. Never had any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can someone post a photo of an acceptable power cord. I went to Lowe's and told the guy I was cruising and could not have anything with a surge protector. He acted like he didn't understand what I was talking about.

fd3b08152785c0cc9ff39cec07c0f203.jpg

I have this. I carried this onboard in my backpack never had a problem with it.

And you may not have a problem with it for another 20 cruises, or it may fail the next time you use it on a ship. The more times these surge protectors are subjected to reverse voltages, which are common given shipboard "delta" wiring, the more the semi-conductors "age" and can fail. But the biggest danger is the fact that what typically causes failure of these surge protectors into thermal runaway and fire is completely out of the user's control, and is typically somewhere far removed from the cabin where it is being used. Should any piece of electrical equipment go to ground (for example a light out on deck leaks and fills with water), this can present reverse voltage to the surge protector, and it can fail in thermal runaway.

As I say in every thread about surge protectors, how much do you think all the electronics onboard the ship, from the POS registers, the main servers, the desktop units on every supervisor's desk, to the controls for the stage lighting, to the navigation and communication equipment on the bridge, to the very automation systems that keep the lights on and the propellers turning in the engine room cost, compared to your Iphone, yet absolutely none of these electronics are protected by surge protectors, even marine grade ones, because it is not necessary.

Used the belkin in post#1 on sunshine this January, left in plain sight when out of cabin. No idea of the fire risk due to how ship is grounded, interesting. Guess it will stay @ home next cruise. Since. Sailing with adult kid between phones/iPads/u name it, needed more than 2 hubs to charge. brought along a 5 port USB charging hub that doesn't have surge protection. Many in area of $20 on Amazon, make sure to check if it includes the surge protection though.

Why does everyone need power strips? I've never brought anything, and have no trouble charging my phone at night.

I may have phone and two camera batteries that need charging overnight. Add the phones for wife and son and outlets will quickly run out.

Does anyone know the reason behind why they dont allow surge protectors?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

A safety notice from the USCG here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjt-J7khtLSAhXh6oMKHaaGAuUQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw&bvm=bv.149397726,d.amc

And a thread started by a poster with an EE background who didn't understand my explanations, so he took my advice and went to the experts, and his findings are in post #10:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

Surge protectors are not needed on ships, as I've noted above. Not only are consumer surge protectors dangerous, but the unique wiring on ships means they are not necessary. I have been on several ships, all steel, that have been struck by lightning, and none of the electronics have been affected, because of the separation of the ground from the power wiring, unlike home wiring. The only equipment that has been affected by lightning in 42 years at sea is radio equipment, because the antenna attract the lightning, and the surge travels down the antenna wiring, but not into the power wiring.

Why does everyone need power strips? I've never brought anything, and have no trouble charging my phone at night.

Some have multiple electronic devices that may need to be charged at the same time together with cabin mate or mates, who may have the same number of devices. A cell phone may just be one of them.

I have seen on the Princes , HAL and Royal ships we have been on. Celebrity Solstice had similar set up except one plug was a combined 110 & 220 v .

Went back through my pics and I didn't get any of the outlets on the Solstice, Eclipse, or Reflection so I Googled it, and see what you're talking about. They are similar to the pic you posted, but a little different. I can see where it could get in the way a little.

It is not a use at night and then keep out of sight kind of thing.

It is a safety rule.

I have been on a ship with a fire and while my cabin and area was not involved, it was frightening and a memory I did not want from my cruise. That was caused by an iron that was left one. Accidents happen. BUT we can all do our part to limit them from occurring. Follow a few rules and everyone has a good time.