Live from Cuba!

Noggins

(quote) Forget 1:1 conversion with the $US! We got 392 cuc for $450.... (quote)

That is the current exchange rate for US Dollars. Each dollar is worth 87 cents because of the 10% penalty and the 3% currency exchange.

(quote) Forget 1:1 conversion with the $US! We got 392 cuc for $450.... (quote)

That is the current exchange rate for US Dollars. Each dollar is worth 87 cents because of the 10% penalty and the 3% currency exchange.

He was asking about the CAD to CUC. So he would not be subject to the 10% penalty.

He was asking about the CAD to CUC. So he would not be subject to the 10% penalty.

I was trying to figure out who HE was that asked besides me ;)

I know what the official rate should be but wanted to know what people actually got for CAD

Lyn

I was trying to figure out who HE was that asked besides me ;)

I know what the official rate should be but wanted to know what people actually got for CAD

Lyn

Hi there Lyn. We will be there on April 6 & 7, so will check it out for you and let you know. Email me anything else you want me to check out. We have only booked 1 private tour for the 2nd day- 3 hrs - Havana City Tour in a 1948 Buick Convertable - Orange in colour (Yuk - hate orange) - 9am pickup.:D

Hi there Lyn. We will be there on April 6 & 7, so will check it out for you and let you know. Email me anything else you want me to check out. We have only booked 1 private tour for the 2nd day- 3 hrs - Havana City Tour in a 1948 Buick Convertable - Orange in colour (Yuk - hate orange) - 9am pickup.:D

Hi, we will be in Havana in Dec. can you tell me how/who can arrange those private tours?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL

don't forget your hat & sun screen

chat soon

Lyn

Hi, we will be in Havana in Dec. can you tell me how/who can arrange those private tours?

Tango223. ..All you need to do is google "private tours Havana" there are numerous guides, companies etc that come up and you just need to email them or contact them via their web site. If they have a web site you will be able to read what tours they have if they do not have a web site they will have an email contact address so write to them telling them what you want to do.

Tango223. ..All you need to do is google "private tours Havana" there are numerous guides, companies etc that come up and you just need to email them or contact them via their web site. If they have a web site you will be able to read what tours they have if they do not have a web site they will have an email contact address so write to them telling them what you want to do.

Thank you!

For those who toured Cuba what was most interesting, What kind of miscellaneous money do we need for cigars, rum, average lunch cost?????

TIA we are on 03/21 Marina

I, also, am interested in this information!

For those who toured Cuba what was most interesting, What kind of miscellaneous money do we need for cigars, rum, average lunch cost?????

TIA we are on 03/21 Marina

We bought cigars at one of the factories as both souvenirs for friends and for ourselves. We spent $125 for 12 cigars. They were either the Cohiba brand -- two different Cohiba sizes -- or Romeo y Julieta. The same factory was also selling H. Upmann.

Note: Every factory will sell many "brands" because brand isn't really the right way to think about Cuban cigars. There is a formula for each "brand name." A cohiba uses a different formula of top leaves and bottom leaves from a Romeo Y Julieta. But every factory has the leaves to make every formula/brand. Finally, within a brand, different size also get different names.

We brought home 2 70--cl bottles of Havana Club (7-year) Rum. I can't be helpful on prices since these were gift from the company that organized our tour. However, an online search shows that this bottle costs about $20 per bottle.

Lunch could be a wide swing of prices!

As my DH and I are researching Cuba for a future cruise, I am checking the Cuba Port forum for info regularly. Good info, including this thread on Rum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2439901

Here's a link to a post I made in the thread you've mentioned. It's about Havana Club rum and describes both the history of Havana Club and a taste test run by the Washington Post (July 2016) between the Havana Club rum currently being made in Cuba and the Havana Club rum currently being made at the Bacardi factory. Each company is claiming to be the heir to the original, pre-revolution formula.

It may impact your decision to carry home rum from your port call in Cuba.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52562483&postcount=7

We bought cigars at one of the factories as both souvenirs for friends and for ourselves. We spent $125 for 12 cigars. They were either the Cohiba brand -- two different Cohiba sizes -- or Romeo y Julieta. The same factory was also selling H. Upmann.

Note: Every factory will sell many "brands" because brand isn't really the right way to think about Cuban cigars. There is a formula for each "brand name." A cohiba uses a different formula of top leaves and bottom leaves from a Romeo Y Julieta. But every factory has the leaves to make every formula/brand. Finally, within a brand, different size also get different names.

We brought home 2 70--cl bottles of Havana Club (7-year) Rum. I can't be helpful on prices since these were gift from the company that organized our tour. However, an online search shows that this bottle costs about $20 per bottle.

Lunch could be a wide swing of prices!

A friend asked that we bring him Monte Cristo #4 cigars. Did you happen to notice if they were available?

Is it now legal to bring in Cuban cigars?

They've been legal for a very long time. Until October 2016, each adult could bring a total of $100 worth of rum and cigars -- all rum or all cigars or a combination of the two -- into the US from Cuba. After that date, all restrictions were lifted on quantity as long as the quantity is perceived to be for personal use and not enough to stock a store.

They've been legal for a very long time. Until October 2016, each adult could bring a total of $100 worth of rum and cigars -- all rum or all cigars or a combination of the two -- into the US from Cuba. After that date, all restrictions were lifted on quantity as long as the quantity is perceived to be for personal use and not enough to stock a store.

Thank you.

The only thing I brought back from Cuba is their currency (both types) for my collection.

We each bring back home what we are interested in :D

A friend asked that we bring him Monte Cristo #4 cigars. Did you happen to notice if they were available?

Here's a link to a great, recent article about where to find Cuban cigars:

https://www.fathom.org/where-to-find-cuban-cigars-havana/

Reading this, I learned that the H. Upmann factory where we visited (and bought our Cohiba and Romeo y Julieta cigars) also sells Monte Cristo cigars. This factory is one of only three that offers tours. The cigar-making process is fascinating even if you have no intention of shopping for anything.

While the article lists many reputable cigar stores, it omits mention of another source: the gift shop of the Hotel Nacional. Shopping there will fulfill your Montechristo quest and give you a chance to to see the main floor and beautiful grounds of this historic property. (You won't be able to see any of the hotel rooms, but take my word that you're lucky you're staying on an Oceania ship instead of staying here.) Enjoy a mojito at the indoor or outdoor bar while you're there, too.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Thank you.

The only thing I brought back from Cuba is their currency (both types) for my collection.

We each bring back home what we are interested in :D

Paul, not only is it now legal to bring Cuban goods back from Cuba it's legal for US citizens to bring them back from any country that sells them. I brought a bottle of Havana Club back from Chile recently. I think I paid about 10 bucks there for it which is a great bargain. It's very good rum, but I like Flor De Cana from Nicaragua better.

I'm sure you don't care as if I remember right you're not a drinker. But I think Cuban rum is better than their cigars.