Is this just lip service about dress codes?

I will start wearing what you want me to wear to the MDR when you start paying for my cruise. That being said I usually dress in dressier jeans and a button down with dress shoes for dinner, even formal nights. I wear suit and tie 5 days a week, I refuse to wear it on vacation. Similar to this below.

1dae0b7dc38049ee7edebecb8f1241cf.jpg

Currently on Harmony.

There aren't signs of any kind at the entrance to the MDR with any dress suggestions or rules.

The only reference to dress in the MDR in the cruise compass is that it states casual and it does not define casual.

I asked several different hosts at the entrance to the MDR if shorts were allowed at dinner (asked at lunch and mid afternoon) and every one of them said shorts were allowed. (Did not ask about shorts on formal nights)

With many other things Royals website does not accurately reflect the current status of how things operate on board. (At least on Harmony)

No one at all needs to feel the least bit guilty for wearing shorts to dinner on the 5 casual nights.

I will start wearing what you want me to wear to the MDR when you start paying for my cruise. That being said I usually dress in dressier jeans and a button down with dress shoes for dinner, even formal nights. I wear suit and tie 5 days a week, I refuse to wear it on vacation. Similar to this below.

If you can pull this look off, then yes, I would definitely count this as formal. See, my son could pull this off and rock it. This is vacation! Be yourself! Love it!

Sent from my XT1609 using Forums mobile app

Crystal does style itself as a high-end luxury line, and using that as a reference for what's acceptable for a general-holiday line is a bit inappropriate.

If that is what is important to them and if that's how they feel others should dress on the cruise, then they just need to go cruise Crystal.

i've never been on royal but do they have tableclothes at their dinner tables? do they have servers bringing the food to the tables?

if the above statements are true then shorts will only be seen for the few seconds it takes someone to walk to their table. then hidden beneath.

as far as budweiser shirts at tables, why are you looking at people that arent at your table (this doesnt apply for the assigned seating of course)

if if the bud guy does sit next to you for the assigned seating, i've heard that you can change tables.

We did that on one cruise, we were seated with persons wearing farm coveralls, (not kidding) for dinner, And yes I know what is worn on a cow farm, and asked to be moved. We do dress as suggested, and my husband has been stopped at breakfast for wearing a no sleeve tee shirt (not a tank tiop) and asked to put on a shirt with sleeves. He complied, Yes I wish they would enforce the rules all day for meals in the MDR, but until they do, we will still complain about those that don't, and put it in my survey at the end of the cruise. If you can afford the cruise, then you shoiuld be able to afford appropriate suggested attire.

I think part of the problem is the wording - IMO. We just got off Voyager in the South Pacific. Formal night hubby wore dress pants. Then we had a tropical night and shorts were allowed. The next night was casual. We had been on an island all day, it was 41 degrees c (105.8f) and hubby wore a collared shirt with dress shorts. He was told he couldn't enter. Not a problem, he simply went and changed. To an Aussie, casual wear can definitely mean shorts. Interestingly, the staff at the entrance to the dining room changed and he walked back in with a group of guys all wearing shorts and none were turned away. Our 8th cruise and we had not made this mistake before - or perhaps it hadn't been enforced? Maybe it should say 'smart casual' - just a thought [emoji5][emoji198]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on Grandeur last August and was thrilled to see them not allow those wearing shorts into the MDR, even on non-formal nights. Unfortunately it hasn't been the case on Liberty, Brilliance, or Serenade. I'm sailing on Grandeur in May and hope they continue turning away those wearing shorts.

I complain to ship management and on surveys every cruise. To be honest, I don't know why it bothers me so much but it really does.

I was on Grandeur last August and was thrilled to see them not allow those wearing shorts into the MDR, even on non-formal nights. Unfortunately it hasn't been the case on Liberty, Brilliance, or Serenade. I'm sailing on Grandeur in May and hope they continue turning away those wearing shorts.

I complain to ship management and on surveys every cruise. To be honest, I don't know why it bothers me so much but it really does.

Does it bother you for men or women?

I don't know why it bothers you either.

Outdated Really, Yes the decline of western civilization.

Or people have realized that buying and wearing uncomfortable clothes just to please somebody else's sense of fashion is not desirable on a cruise or anywhere else.

It has happened everywhere, and I am glad I no longer have to wear a suit to work on a co-workers PC, or in a restaurant or a cruise.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Or people have realized that buying and wearing uncomfortable clothes just to please somebody else's sense of fashion is not desirable on a cruise or anywhere else.
Perhaps, but keep in mind that a lot of the most vocal advocates for formal nights are intolerant of any perspectives that include the implication that formal clothing is uncomfortable. If people have not experienced something themselves they often have trouble understanding the experience that other folks have had. The idea that the clothes could be uncomfortable to you is inaccessible to them, technically speaking.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Khakis and a polo shirt is great! I guess I get annoyed with people that really could careless... Shorts and a t-shirt is not acceptable... Yes, it is your vacation and you paid for it but it is called respect in my opinion...They don't enforce any of the "rules" They are do afraid of the back lash and offending which is sad in my opinion. White table cloth dinner is not an appropriate place for very, very casual attire.... I'd rather see dressy jeans any day than shorts, t-shirt, and a ball cap!!

RESPECT is earned and given and you should be able to respect what one chooses to wear. It's not about being careless, it's about what the individual not the people on the cruise ship is comfortable with wearing while on vacation and not being judged by others that to me is disrespectful.

"GOOD FOR YOU" it's your vacation and you enjoy it the way you want. My DH dresses the same way for dinner.

RESPECT is earned and given and you should be able to respect what one chooses to wear. It's not about be careless, it's about what the individual not the people on the cruise ship is comfortable with wearing while on vacation and not being judged by others that to me is disrespectful.

Respect is much more complex than that. First: Respect starts out inherent. Everyone inherently deserves to be afforded worth and dignity. Second: Respect can be sacrificed by way of disreputable behavior. In the context of this thread, violating the host/guest obligations can be such behavior. Paying for a cruise doesn't make the cruise line your slave. They are still the host; you are still a guest in their house. Putting them in the position of having to decide whether to take issue with your compliance with their expectations is a violation of the obligations of a guest to their host. By the same token, if you are complying with the expectations of your host, then there is no justification for anyone even tangentially second guessing your attire.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Edited by bUU

IT IS NOT A RULE. But calling it that allows people to continue to claim that others are disrespecting the cruise line. Yes the same cruise line that in its own way disrespects the customers with some of their actions.

Respect is much more complex than that. First: Respect starts out inherent. Everyone inherently deserves to be afforded worth and dignity. Second: Respect can be sacrificed by way of disreputable behavior. In the context of this thread, violating the host/guest obligations can be such behavior. Paying for a cruise doesn't make the cruise line your slave. They are still the host; you are still a guest in their house. Putting them in the position of having to decide whether to take issue with your compliance with their expectations is a violation of the obligations of a guest to their host. By the same token, if you are complying with the expectations of your host, then there is no justification for anyone even tangentially second guessing your attire.

Thank you for YOUR Opinion, however the bottom line and take away for you is why is anyone concerning themselves with what other's are wearing.. You do you...I do me..... The whole thing could be a lot deeper than people judging them. Maybe under certain circumstances this is all that they may have. You do not walk or live in ones shoes and you should not want to judge someone.

"JUDGE NOT YE BE JUDGED" that is all is need for this thread. Dress the way you want for YOUR VACATION and maybe other's need to focus on enjoying themselves as much as they are focused on what other's are wearing.

................wow man.....that's prolific.......DUDE don't Bogart that joint, man........:cool:

You do you...I do me.....
Such perspectives are literally self-ratifying. That's not an opinion; it is a literal description of the comments. Living in society with others requires consideration of not only what pleases one's self but also the impact one's conduct has on others. I have no strong feeling about formal attire or casual attire, but acknowledgement that one's decisions and one's actions have impact on others, and the acceptance that one should consider how they affect others, is very important to me, and it should be important to you as well. If the people around you all held distinctly self-ratifying perspectives, it would be a never ending source of upset in your life.

However, the clothes I wear to dinner should have no impact on others (as long as clean, as odor, etc can directly affect others). The other person insisting that my dress conform to THEIR code does affect me, so where does their respect for me as the other person come in to play? Maybe they can be more accepting and less judgmental towards others so that other people can enjoy their cruise.

Such perspectives are literally self-ratifying. That's not an opinion; it is a literal description of the comments. Living in society with others requires consideration of not only what pleases one's self but also the impact one's conduct has on others. I have no strong feeling about formal attire or casual attire, but acknowledgement that one's decisions and one's actions have impact on others, and the acceptance that one should consider how they affect others, is very important to me, and it should be important to you as well. If the people around you all held distinctly self-ratifying perspectives, it would be a never ending source of upset in your life.

Let me make sure I am getting a clear understanding of what you just said. So when you get up in the morning and get dressed or you go shopping for clothes. The first thing that comes to mind is what you are buying or what you are wearing how is this going to effect other's. First I DO NOT live my life based on acceptance of other's I live my life by what makes me happy , what I like, what pleases my life. The majority of the people on the cruise you would never see again in your life so why are you concerned with how you impact them WOW.