Is this just lip service about dress codes?

Is my enjoyment of my meal directly tied to what strangers at other tables are wearing? Absolutely. When the kid at the next table stands up and then leans over exposing half his rear end, when the woman at the next table is falling out of her top or her skirt is so short I can tell you what color underwear she has on, when clothing is so tight or see thru that you can tell people aren't even wearing underwear... there goes my appetite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well you shouldn't be going to eat anywhere on a cruise or land! The closest beach town to where we live is Myrtle Beach and I tell you what... at the restaurants in town there you are going to see everything you described I don't care how many stars the restaurant is suppose to be. You will die of mal-nutrition!

As I expected I got a snarky response. Why is the idea that people with no class should at least be confronted with that fact and urged to improve themselves, even temporally, seen as a "bad" thing? Why is it becoming accepted that people with no class should be allowed to go on about their business making things lower and lower class while those who were raised with some manners, courtesy and respect for others should sequester themselves in their homes?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You post your judgements of everybody else and say that if somebody else somewhere that you can happen to have in your line of sight wears something you don't approve of and your appetite is gone.

Your idea of fashion is not the same as others. What you want others to wear has no bearing on what they wear. If you get offended that easily, then you should probably not go out.

When I was growing up, if we went out to eat, even at say Red Lobster (was big for us) we wore our sunday best, but that is not what most people want nowadays. Going out to eat is more the norm than a special occasion that it was 30 years ago. No matter where you go, you will run into people not dressed as you want, and if that ruins your appetite, then you probably should not put yourself in that situation.

It won't be enforced because of the higher odds that cruisers will get mad and make a scene and possibly go raise a fuss at the guest services desk when they are told to go change. That's why they don't enforce. maybe if there were more arguments and complaints from guests about what other guests are wearing.

The problem is that the underdressed people are much more likely to be boorish and rude and not mind raising a stink. The well dressed are more likely to be sophisticated and polite enough to take it in stride publically. So it's asymmetric warfare unfortunately.

The problem is that the underdressed people are much more likely to be boorish and rude and not mind raising a stink. The well dressed are more likely to be sophisticated and polite enough to take it in stride publically. So it's asymmetric warfare unfortunately.

Some of the biggest jerks I've seen on cruise ships were in tuxes.

I really should save my standard replies to the dress code thread.

So many of you say some variety of "why do people care?"

The thing is, we as a society have decided that people don't have to have a reason for some of the things that bother them, it's sufficient to say it is a bother and people are generally expected to avoid the behavior.

I don't get why people are offended by topless bathing for example, or why some parents won't let their kids see certain things on TV. But even though I don't understand why it is so, I will still not do those things that people tell me they find offensive.

So let's just say that many of us find very casual dress in a nice setting such as the MDR to be aesthetically unpleasant and offensive. We do not need to explain why. Certainly you are not required to give a crap but don't hide behind the "I don't see why you care" mantra.

We do care, and you know it, so if you don't mind making our evening somewhat less pleasant than go ahead. But enough with the rationalization.

For the record, nice pants and a polo shirt are fine, but when people come in shorts, t-shirts, caps, that sucks. I think the dress code for that is "come as you are." It's below casual.

We do care, and you know it, so if you don't mind making our evening somewhat less pleasant than go ahead. But enough with the rationalization.

That's very personal. Please consider that no one is doing anything "to you". Don't take this the wrong way, but they aren't even thinking of you or know that you exist. And, frankly, don't you largely feel similar to that regarding others? Furthermore, you seem to ignore that NO one in here is telling anyone who enjoys finer clothing, not to enjoy themselves.

There's absolutely not a single thing wrong with these outfits. This is largely similar to year round warddrobe where I live because it's hot, and people are a lot more comfortable this way, and well, just plain happy. You could not find any flaw other than, to your personal taste, the length of the leg cloth.

DSC_5943.jpg

I will say, generally speaking, I find it amusing that people want to talk about class and such, but I don't see too many looking like this in travel anymore (and that does not bother me)

vintage-photo-of-man-and-woman-waving-and-boarding-an-aircraft-b01868cea141f6cf30db6e7351233616.jpg

And this isn't the standard, or even the norm, for shipboard dress

2C584E0700000578-3226659-Sporting_fun_Two_well_dressed_passengers_on_a_cruise_ship_enjoyi-m-14_1442337753153.jpg

While perhaps you are the suited sophisticate, many of us resent being talked down to by those who shout about rules that they don't even understand and who probably resemble a typical "tourist" more so than anything from 50+ years ago.

tourist-stereotypes-1.jpg

I'm not rationalizing anything to anyone. I'm explaining. Hope that helps. :)

If nobody ever did anything that annoyed another person, nobody would do anything. For pretty much every action, somebody will probably be offended.

You get offended that somebody wears clothes you judge that you don't like, others get annoyed at people to dressed for the occasion, while others get annoyed that perfect strangers judge then in something that is none of their business.

Not everybody had the same idea of what is appropriate in every situation, and non of us are qualified to be the fashion police. Are the things that people wear that I would not- absolutely, dies it effect me- only as much to maybe have a conversation with my wife if it is really outlandish. Does it run my evening, cruise, or appetite- no.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

We belong to a private club. It's a wonderful place to spend the evening with dinner, drinks, good music and dancing. We have our table for the whole evening without being rushed out so someone else can have our table.

Our dress code is not "suggested". You adhere by it or you don't get in....period. We have an alternate venue for those who don't want to follow the "rules" that we agreed to when we joined the club or, don't want to dress up, (I'm not suggesting that on the ship).

That is the difference to me concerning the MDR.,"Suggested vs "rules" Royal has set the bar, or lowered it, take it how you want it. I have no issue with folks that want to dress more casual.

I cannot quite understand why people get so upset about how other people dress for dinner while on vacation. If you wanna wear a suit or Tux go for it, if you wanna wear shorts and a T shirt feel free in my opinion. If these people who's dress code you do not approve of aren't blatantly going out of there way to annoy you what should anyone care what they do. After all they paid for Their vacation just like you did

It's unfortunate that the cruise lines don't have a decent alternative for people who like dressing casually while on vacation and when dining. The only current alternative is the buffet. It would be nice to be able to enjoy a sit down dinner while dressed comfortably. I wish there was a dedicated area to do this. That way the people who enjoy dressing up can dine in the atmosphere they prefer and the people who want to dress casually and eat a good meal can enjoy themselves.

My husband has some very nice dress shorts and collared shirts, but it looks like he will have to pack a pair of pants if we want to dine somewhere other than the buffet. I can always find something to dress up my outfit, but my husband really likes wearing shorts on cruises.

It's unfortunate that the cruise lines don't have a decent alternative for people who like dressing casually while on vacation and when dining. The only current alternative is the buffet. It would be nice to be able to enjoy a sit down dinner while dressed comfortably. I wish there was a dedicated area to do this. That way the people who enjoy dressing up can dine in the atmosphere they prefer and the people who want to dress casually and eat a good meal can enjoy themselves.

My husband has some very nice dress shorts and collared shirts, but it looks like he will have to pack a pair of pants if we want to dine somewhere other than the buffet. I can always find something to dress up my outfit, but my husband really likes wearing shorts on cruises.

I ended up wearing khaki shorts and a polo on all nights besides the formal nights, where I did dress up. I never felt out of place in the last. While some will pass judgement, he should be perfectly fine.

I actually had slacks for every night, but it was warm and I felt much more relaxed in comfortable clothes. Do not let the fashion police Mrs that up.

I ended up wearing khaki shorts and a polo on all nights besides the formal nights, where I did dress up. I never felt out of place in the last. While some will pass judgement, he should be perfectly fine.

I actually had slacks for every night, but it was warm and I felt much more relaxed in comfortable clothes. Do not let the fashion police Mrs that up.

Thanks. I will let my husband know. We are going in June and it's going to be hot. He has some very nice shorts and shirts. What type of shoes are acceptable? (I know no sandals or flip flops)

Curious if the change in what people are wearing coincided with the airlines nickel and diming everyone on their luggage. When you are getting charged for check bags and in some cases carry on luggage, you want to bring a lot less clothes. A cocktail dress and suit take up a lot more space in a suitcase than shorts and polo shirts. Then if you are traveling with kids, you want to minimize the number of checked suitcases so you might bring one big suitcase and 2 small carryons for a family of 4, instead of say 4 large suitcases which weren't added fees 15-20 years ago.

Thanks. I will let my husband know. We are going in June and it's going to be hot. He has some very nice shorts and shirts. What type of shoes are acceptable? (I know no sandals or flip flops)

I wore loafers to dinner, no tennis shoes, but up to you. Not saying that is correct, but it is what I wear to work, whether I am wearing khaki pants or shorts.

Could someone please show me, in Royal Caribbean's current literature, or on Royal's web site where the term 'dress code' is used?

Or could someone show me where the word 'rule' is used by Royal in reference to what mode of dress one should subscribe to in any venue, at any time, on their cruise ships?

If you can't, that would render any post making any reference to dress on Royal Caribbean using either the term 'dress code' or the word 'rule' moot.

All I've seen in recent years from Royal in regards to dress on their ships is the term 'suggested dress'.

In addition, any maitre d' who allows any mode of dress into the MDR is not in defiance of the dress code or rule, because there is none. Only suggested dress.

Am I right?

Harvey

I wore loafers to dinner, no tennis shoes, but up to you. Not saying that is correct, but it is what I wear to work, whether I am wearing khaki pants or shorts.

Thanks, he has loafers. We are planning on skipping formal night, but would like to eat out on the casual nights.

Could someone please show me, in Royal Caribbean's current literature, or on Royal's web site where the term 'dress code' is used?

Or could someone show me where the word 'rule' is used by Royal in reference to what mode of dress one should subscribe to in any venue, at any time, on their cruise ships?

If you can't, that would render any post making any reference to dress on Royal Caribbean using either the term 'dress code' or the word 'rule' moot.

All I've seen in recent years from Royal in regards to dress on their ships is the term 'suggested dress'.

In addition, any maitre d' who allows any mode of dress into the MDR is not in defiance of the dress code or rule, because there is none. Only suggested dress.

Am I right?

Harvey

You are "right" Harvey......Dress like a "slob" if that will prove your point. It is amazing how some will bring things to the lowest common denominator,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Time to segregate floors in the dining room to what the passenger wishes to dress....Homeless 5, semi appropriate 4, dress suggestion 3.......Or better yet time to find a better cruise line.....:evilsmile:

Am I right?

Harvey

You are correct. It's not a cruise lines business to teach etiquette to adults. Unfortunately for some, no one bothered to teach them or some chose not to learn.

You are "right" Harvey......Dress like a "slob" if that will prove your point. It is amazing how some will bring things to the lowest common denominator,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Time to segregate floors in the dining room to what the passenger wishes to dress....Homeless 5, semi appropriate 4, dress suggestion 3.......Or better yet time to find a better cruise line.....:evilsmile:

Now don't you feel foolish? 🙄🙀

You are correct. It's not a cruise lines business to teach etiquette to adults. Unfortunately for some, no one bothered to teach them or some chose not to learn.

You are reading much more into my post than was intended. But look, it gave you a chance to express your opinion. I'll bet you feel better now. See, I did good. 🤗

Harvey

Not everybody had the same idea of what is appropriate in every situation, and non of us are qualified to be the fashion police.

Ah, that's where you are a bit off - virtually ever dress thread has some fashion police in it.

You are reading much more into my post than was intended. But look, it gave you a chance to express your opinion. I'll bet you feel better now. See, I did good. 🤗

Harvey

I felt fine before but if it makes you feel better to think you did good, go for it😉

Am I right?

Harvey

Per your request and RCIs website under FAQs. Rules and suggested are not referenced. Don't shoot the messenger. :evilsmile:

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

s.gifA: Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)