Is this just lip service about dress codes?

The problem is Royal Caribbean's windjammer cafe is so awful, most people don't want to eat there. So more casually dressed people won't eat there. When we sailed on the Silhouette and the Crown Princess , many people ate in their buffet area's for dinner.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

The problem is Royal Caribbean's windjammer cafe is so awful, most people don't want to eat there. So more casually dressed people won't eat there. When we sailed on the Silhouette and the Crown Princess , many people ate in their buffet area's for dinner.

We've never found WIndjammer awful.

YES. YES. and YES. Exactly how I feel!! You wrote it much better!! :)I am in my mid-30's as well.

I guess I just don't get the issue with adhering to dress codes. I'm in my mid-30s (depending on posters who think dress attire is "old school" vs. "new school"), and I don't know why dress code couldn't/shouldn't be enforced. I bring up my age only because I keep hearing that age is a reason for a "newer" way of thinking of dining.

I approach dining on how I would dress (or how I "should" dress) when I'm dining "at home." The MDR gets a bad rep, but I still think of it should be looked at as an higher-end (not necessarily fine-dining) restaurant, where the wait staff cares for your every need. Business casual should be a minimum. If you go to specialty dining or, more importantly, formal night, it should be exactly that...formal.

Each cruise line posts its expectations/requirements. Do I like dressing up? Not necessarily on a regular basis. But if that's the requirement of the establishment that I want to enter, than YES, I will adhere to the requirements. This is no different than any restaurant in your area. I just don't see why people think it should be any different when you're "on vacation." You choose the establishment when you're at home and you choose where you eat on the cruise. Each cruise line lets passengers know, well ahead of time, what their expectations are regarding dining attire, so there shouldn't be a planning/packing problem. If don't want to dress a certain way, no problem....here are the places where you can dine. However, I am constantly disappointed in RC enforcement of the dress code, and because of this, many do question on why they should adhere to a rule. Because we see individuals/families not adhering to the prescribed dress code, leads to individuals asking themselves "why should I?" That being said, I feel RC should do a better job in restricting access to those who don't follow the dress policy. Are they really losing a significant amount of $$$ from "upsetting" those who do not like the policy?

Sorry for the rant, I just don't see why pre-established rules (regardless if it's horribly enforced), causes so my trouble.

We were on Carnival last year and the mdr was fairly casual. On non formal nights most men were wearing dressy shorts and polos and women had on dresses or capris. Formal night varied a lot with folks wearing everything from jeans to evening gowns. Dh wore khakis and a button down shirt with a tie. I wore a dress.

I guess I just don't get the issue with adhering to dress codes. I'm in my mid-30s (depending on posters who think dress attire is "old school" vs. "new school"), and I don't know why dress code couldn't/shouldn't be enforced. I bring up my age only because I keep hearing that age is a reason for a "newer" way of thinking of dining.

I approach dining on how I would dress (or how I "should" dress) when I'm dining "at home." The MDR gets a bad rep, but I still think of it should be looked at as an higher-end (not necessarily fine-dining) restaurant, where the wait staff cares for your every need. Business casual should be a minimum. If you go to specialty dining or, more importantly, formal night, it should be exactly that...formal.

Each cruise line posts its expectations/requirements. Do I like dressing up? Not necessarily on a regular basis. But if that's the requirement of the establishment that I want to enter, than YES, I will adhere to the requirements. This is no different than any restaurant in your area. I just don't see why people think it should be any different when you're "on vacation." You choose the establishment when you're at home and you choose where you eat on the cruise. Each cruise line lets passengers know, well ahead of time, what their expectations are regarding dining attire, so there shouldn't be a planning/packing problem. If don't want to dress a certain way, no problem....here are the places where you can dine. However, I am constantly disappointed in RC enforcement of the dress code, and because of this, many do question on why they should adhere to a rule. Because we see individuals/families not adhering to the prescribed dress code, leads to individuals asking themselves "why should I?" That being said, I feel RC should do a better job in restricting access to those who don't follow the dress policy. Are they really losing a significant amount of $$$ from "upsetting" those who do not like the policy?

Sorry for the rant, I just don't see why pre-established rules (regardless if it's horribly enforced), causes so my trouble.

The big difference is there is not free code, it is a suggestion. I was in jots last month, and brought clothes for each dress code, but realized on the ship, it clearly stated suggestions, and made no mention of a dress code anywhere.

I ended up *gasp* wearing shorts on non-formal nights, but it was my work clothes- khaki shorts, polo shirt and loafers. I was right in the middle of the road compared to others. While I might notice what is wear, I really don't care what any body else wears if they are not family. I know some people like dressing up, but I despise it, and the last cruise it cost us a bit cause we needed to pay to check an extra suit case, and I even bought a suit, and my wife bought a dress as well, as she just did not wear dresses, ever.

If they decide to implement a dress code that forces it more formal without causing the level of service and food, I would probably look elsewhere for better value.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Since it's suggested dress and not a rule, why doesn't everyone do their own thing and not judge those at other tables? You tux, or suit, or sports jacket or button down or t-shirt are fine by me.

Just be clean.

I do not dress to adhere to a "suggested" code. I dress to suit my family and spouse. I want to look nice for them. I do not pay attention to what others wear. Everyone has their own cruise style.

Ditto. I typically have no interest in patronizing a restaurant that tells me how to dress. IMHO if I'm paying the bill I call that shot. If a restaurants wants to enforce a more formal dress code I'm happy to go somewhere else so everybody is happy. But on a cruise that's the main option so I'll attend and play the game a little and make a little effort as I understand it is important to some people.

But personally I love all my fellow cruisers including the ones who come to dinner in tuxes and the ones who show up in t shirts, swim shorts and flip flops (one tablemate on formal night on Mariner and he did get bounced).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You seem to forget that it is THEIR SHIP! When it is your ship you can make the rules, I think that as long as they own the ship they should get to make the rules! All of you that only know how to dress like you are going to clean out a cow barn should be ashamed that you never learned to dress properly!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You seem to forget that it is THEIR SHIP! When it is your ship you can make the rules, I think that as long as they own the ship they should get to make the rules! All of you that only know how to dress like you are going to clean out a cow barn should be ashamed that you never learned to dress properly!

It's a suggestion, not a rule. They can enforce what they like. They don't. People then dress for their own comfort and enjoyment of the meal.

Tell us what are the "rules".

That that is what civilized, polite people do

there was nothing civilized or polite about your rant. you haven't even shown us that you clearly understand the rules at all :confused: Guess when you put on pants you think you have a right to yell down at others. Doesn't work that way in the real world

It is in the cruise contract, do you ever read it?

Yes, tell me where a suggestion of what to wear is a rule. Please show me. I'm exceptionally well versed in contacts and just don't see these rules you talk about...

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

Edited by LMaxwell
link to cruise contract

Kind of silly to compare a life and death thing like running a red light to what someone wears to dinner. But I suppose the poster has NEVER walked across the street on a red light, or crossed somewhere other than the corner.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I just spent 7 nights on Adventure where the Windjammer food was excellent and it was the busiest I've ever seen for dinner.

Sent from my Bat phone using Tapatalk.