What would you do?

Irie

:)

Just off the Dream.

I had a balcony and the people next door were smoking

Marijuana all week. Not my thing. Got really irritating.

Debated notifying security..but never did.

Did not ruin my week..just irritating.

What would you have done?

Would of asked them for a toke!

:cool:

Ditto! I would have asked if they were sharing.

I would definitely complain, but anonymously. I once asked some noisy people to keep it down and the next morning a bunch of room service trays were in my doorway......I'm thinking it wasn't a coincidence.....

I agree. Been on a lot of cruises, but have only had the balconies three times. My next balcony cruise is this coming December on The Triumph. I hope it isn't an issue because this time I think I will address it through Guest Services.

Smokers, as well as nonsmokers, know the rules about smoking as it's been discussed and debated forever. Last month, on the Breeze, while walking around Deck 5, we came up on ashes as well as cigarette butts. Was it just an accident? Perhaps. If not, then that person is giving no thought to his/her actions about attempting to toss that cigarette overboard - the one that came back and landed on the deck.

This was probably one of the better trips, as far as smoking goes. There were a lot of nice places where the smokers could go, but still, there were some who were just blatantly disregarding the rules. It felt like they were just challenging someone to confront them.

Personally, I'm just not brave enough to confront on my own.

I would have knocked on their door and said, "hey, guys, just giving you a heads up that some people still think pot is hardcore drugs and will rat you out in two seconds. You might want to think about an alternate place to smoke if you're still going to partake since it can be smelled in other balconies and staterooms. Have a good cruise, man!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have knocked on their door and said, "hey, guys, just giving you a heads up that some people still think pot is hardcore drugs and will rat you out in two seconds. You might want to think about an alternate place to smoke if you're still going to partake since it can be smelled in other balconies and staterooms. Have a good cruise, man!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would report them even if marijuana were legal.

Not ragging on you or anything OP, but I just think its kinda funny that your username is irie but weed isn't your thing

The word Irie is patois that means Alright. It can also mean respect. It is not a reference to marijuana.

For many years, smoking on balconies was fine. I think most of us know that the reason CCL changed that is because of complaints received from non-smokers - though they may have used the "smoking on the balcony is dangerous" reason. After all, if there was such a concern about fire, why would there be smoking areas outside.

So, if you don't like smelling smoke or hate us nasty smokers, just say so. Trying to sell it as a safety issue is ridiculous. And before you show the pictures of the burnt ship supposedly "maybe" caused by a cigarette being thrown off a balcony - I've already seen it.

For many years, smoking on balconies was fine. I think most of us know that the reason CCL changed that is because of complaints received from non-smokers - though they may have used the "smoking on the balcony is dangerous" reason. After all, if there was such a concern about fire, why would there be smoking areas outside.

So, if you don't like smelling smoke or hate us nasty smokers, just say so. Trying to sell it as a safety issue is ridiculous. And before you show the pictures of the burnt ship supposedly "maybe" caused by a cigarette being thrown off a balcony - I've already seen it.

Personally I don't care about any of that- balconies are non-smoking areas and that's all I need to know:). Why they are non-smoking areas isn't relevant.

:)

Just off the Dream.

I had a balcony and the people next door were smoking

Marijuana all week. Not my thing. Got really irritating.

Debated notifying security..but never did.

Did not ruin my week..just irritating.

What would you have done?

I would have called Security and Guest Services.

In this type of situation, you never know how someone will react even if you speak to the person in a calm, friendly manner. I would have reported it to Guest Services instead of talking to them face to face.

I'd have gone to guest services as well ... but I would not have given my name or cabin for just the reason above. People are nuts now days - and the entitled will be sure to try to turn the situation around to make you feel guilty for infringing on them!!

I would have said something. I have allergies also, and just like those people think they are entitled to smoke illegal substances, I am entitled to clean fresh air. I would be PISSED if I paid for a balcony and felt like I couldn't go outside for fear of an asthma attack. Doesn't matter what people's opinions are about marijuana, or the fact that people are more "perfect" than others......they chose to bring illegal substances on board and they are being disruptive in their usage of it. My health or my children's shouldn't suffer because someone else is being selfish.

I would've contacted GS! Not so much because I want to see anyone getting into trouble, I don't want anyone calling because they smell weed and think it's from me!! I don't smoke weed, cigs, vapers, or anything. Besides, I'm one of the few who actually WANTS to enjoy my balcony

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would have just given them their space. It doesn't bother me. I feel we have bigger issues in this world than marijuana. Its becoming more decriminalized nationwide d/t the heavier drugs taking precedence. In fact, MANY of the islands and ports we all visit during a cruise grows, sells and distributes.

What concerns me more are the prostitutes and their **** that were on the Breakaway out of NYC cruising with us in February. Take a moment to let that set in... :o

I would have just given them their space. It doesn't bother me. I feel we have bigger issues in this world than marijuana. Its becoming more decriminalized nationwide d/t the heavier drugs taking precedence. In fact, MANY of the islands and ports we all visit during a cruise grows, sells and distributes.

Whether the drug is decriminalized in one locale or another it is still smoking. If it were tobacco it wouldn't change the fact that it should be reported and dealt with.

It might interest you to know also that marijuana is illegal in most if not all Caribbean countries and that even back home decriminalized is not the same as legal.

We did not book balconies for awhile because the smoke was an issue for us. We started booking balconies again after the lines put rules in about not smoking on the balconies. When we sailed on the Splendor, we had neighbors smoking on their balcony. They had an ash tray that they placed on the floor of the balcony, and the smoke came under the balcony divider right onto our side of the balcony. We put up with it for the first day, but each time we tried to go on the balcony, they were out there smoking. I felt we had paid extra to have a balcony so we called guest services. They paid a visit to our neighbors, but they said they didn't catch them doing it so that was all they could do. The next day they were smoking on the balcony again, and our cabin steward was in the hall. I asked him to come on the balcony and he saw the smoke coming under the divider to our side of balcony. He was quite happy to call security himself and get them right up there. Apparently, they received a small bonus anytime they were able to "catch" smokers. After that visit by security, we did not have any additional problems. If I called guest services about regular cigarettes, I would not hesitate in calling over someone lighting up joints.

What concerns me more are the prostitutes and their **** that were on the Breakaway out of NYC cruising with us in February. Take a moment to let that set in... :o

While you go on patting yourself on the back with your apathy regarding the rules, rest assure that there are plenty of people on board a cruise ship that give a hoot about ensuring one of the most important safety rules is adhered to.

My wife and I would have no issues reporting smoking on a balcony for this simple fact and too bad if upsets Suzie Snowflake next door.

There may be bigger issues in the world, but on a cruise ship one of the biggest issues is an on board fire.

We did not book balconies for awhile because the smoke was an issue for us. We started booking balconies again after the lines put rules in about not smoking on the balconies. When we sailed on the Splendor, we had neighbors smoking on their balcony. They had an ash tray that they placed on the floor of the balcony, and the smoke came under the balcony divider right onto our side of the balcony. We put up with it for the first day, but each time we tried to go on the balcony, they were out there smoking. I felt we had paid extra to have a balcony so we called guest services. They paid a visit to our neighbors, but they said they didn't catch them doing it so that was all they could do. The next day they were smoking on the balcony again, and our cabin steward was in the hall. I asked him to come on the balcony and he saw the smoke coming under the divider to our side of balcony. He was quite happy to call security himself and get them right up there. Apparently, they received a small bonus anytime they were able to "catch" smokers. After that visit by security, we did not have any additional problems. If I called guest services about regular cigarettes, I would not hesitate in calling over someone lighting up joints.

Cell phones work wonders to record smoking abuse.