Grease

None of the main production shows on the ships are restricted in terms of target audience and are intended for all family members. "Raunchy" - as with any other review comments - is subjective. I don't think Grease would an issue for families with children the age of yours.

It really depends on you and your family. Personally, I think it's PG-13, if that. Definitely not R. There's no explicit action. Some of the lyrics to the songs might curl your hair (look up the lyrics to Grease Lightning). But when I first watched Grease at that same age, I either didn't really hear all the lyrics or didn't understand them.

The story line has some issues. The characters are in high school and there's a pregnancy scare and the main character decides to dress like a slut "to keep her man". But if you get past that, it's all in fun. :)

I remember when the movie came out a lot of people said kids shouldn't watch it. When I saw it, I thought "what's the big deal."

If it helps, our Cruise Compass said "Recommended for a mature audience" and that kids in the first 3 rows had to be accompanied by an adult.

Just finished reading some posts about Grease and it being "raunchy." Have others experienced this and is it PG-13 level or R? My 12 yr old daughter wants to see it.

I would suggest that you watch it prior to your cruise so you can decide if it is appropriate for her yourself. I found it on Netflix.

Personally, I would not let my 12yr daughter (or son) watch it.

I would agree if you haven't seen the movie just watch and decide for yourself. I watched it as a kid also and the more grown up stuff was over my head. I mean, everyone on TV smoked when I was a kid, and the more adult themes are nothing compared to what passes for teen shows now.

Just finished reading some posts about Grease and it being "raunchy." Have others experienced this and is it PG-13 level or R? My 12 yr old daughter wants to see it.

One man's "raunch" is another man's "NBD".

YMMV.

(glossary: NBD = no big deal. YMMV = your mileage may vary) :D

• Like 1

The movie is one thing, the Broadway version is another, and the ship version - which is a scaled down Broadway version - is yet another. If we are talking about the ship version, IMO - as previously mentioned - there is nothing to be concerned about with a 12 year old.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Just got off of Harmony a couple of weeks ago. The show was great. If your daughter listens closely to the lyrics on some of the songs, it could be an issue. But I think most people are unaware of the actual lyrics. For example, the lyrics to the song Greased Lightning may be offensive. You can check out the lyrics here. This is the version used on the ship. Otherwise the performance was fantastic.

• 1 year later...

My comments are regarding the show Grease from Harmony of the Seas which cruise we recently returned home from. Just so you know, those that are making such comments as "watch Grease the movie" and you can gauge the content if it's appropriate for younger children. . .well! let me tell you that the play is definitely different than the movie as far as content goes and nowhere on my ship compass did it state "for mature audiences." Having grown up on Sandy and Danny and having watched Grease a ton of times, I already knew that the song "Grease Lightning" was suggestive. But nowhere in the movie, or during the song does Travolta intentionally grope himself nor is there "dirty/sexual moves or dancing." So, there we were, with our children watching what we thought would be a show suitable for them and the next thing I know, Rizzo shoots the bird at Sandy. But it wasn't a quick motion gesture, she deliberately holds her middle finger up there for several seconds. Recovering from that shock, then the T-birds do the same thing and then "Cha-Cha does it too! I'm sorry, but none of those gestures were necessary, nor was the dirty dancing. These elements didn't make the play more enjoyable by any means and we were extremely disappointed that RC allowed it. So no, the play wasn't completely like the movie.

I watched the movie a lot when it came out (I was 12). After watching it as an adult with my kids, I realized a lot went over my head. That said, i don’t censor much, and it’s up to me, as the parent, to research what my kids are going to be watching, I don’t expect all shows to be rated G.

My kids saw it several times before they were 12 (movie), I saw it in the 5th grade at the movie theater many times. When I was young, everything went over my head, same with my kids.

the same for us, my kids watched the movie and will definitely watch the show on board, we love it!

There is nothing wrong with preferring not to see certain gestures, hear certain words, and cover certain topics in Broadway productions. We have seen most of the current and past Broadway and off-Broadway shows and have been exposed (from words to body) to much that we consider unsavory in a other settings. We were never shocked. “Flipping the bird” on the Harmony stage does not offend us but I do agree that it should have been left out of this cruise ship production because Royal Caribbean’s image is that of being family friendly.

P.S. We were unaware that “greased lighting” had an alternative meaning until it was mentioned on this thread. HaHa.

There is nothing wrong with preferring not to see certain gestures, hear certain words, and cover certain topics in Broadway productions. We have seen most of the current and past Broadway and off-Broadway shows and have been exposed (from words to body) to much that we consider unsavory in a other settings. We were never shocked. “Flipping the bird” on the Harmony stage does not offend us but I do agree that it should have been left out of this cruise ship production because Royal Caribbean’s image is that of being family friendly.

P.S. We were unaware that “greased lighting” had an alternative meaning until it was mentioned on this thread. HaHa.

NCL has Rock of Ages, Jersey Boys, and Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Not every show needs to be family friendly.

Well! I may not be an avid cruiser as I see, many of you are, but this isn't my first rodeo either. I have been on several cruises, I just haven't posted anything about them. Little did I know that by posting my opinion about the show Grease, which I felt was the purpose of these boards for others to make a clear decision, would I then have some questioning whether I had thoroughly checked it out beforehand, and one individual went as far as to say they felt sorry for my children. LOL.

Of "course" I checked it out before we even booked the sailing. I watched youtube videos on it, read reviews, much like this and because of the conflict of some stating it was raunchy and others saying it was appropriate, I asked RC and at no time was anything contrary disclosed. My ships compass didn't even state "for mature audiences" which RC apologized and stated it should have.

Bottom line is, if some Michael Jackson crotch groping, dirty dancing, and flipping the bird doesn't offend you like it does me, then this play is perfect for you. The singing and acting were good, I just don't feel all that other stuff was necessary and it certainly wasn't in the movie nor did it make the play any more enjoyable for having been inserted.

Oh, and thank you "beachnative" for your comment. Happy cruising everyone! :D