Arriving early in FLL. Can we hang out at cruise terminal?

kevingastreich

I'm thinking the airport as well - and I live in Fort Lauderdale. There's not a lot to do with your luggage in tow at 6:30 after you've gotten your bags.

I woudl taxi from airport to one of the hotels near pORT eVERGLADES, have the door man hold my luggage, have a nice breakfast, roam the hotel trounds and then taxi to Port Everglades when it is likely they are starting check in and boarding.

This sounds great, but what motivates the hotel to do this? Do you tell them that you will only be there for breakfast and are they OK with that?

igraf

My preference would be to take a cab to the Hyatt Pier 66 or another "near port" hotel, have bell desk hold luggage, have a wonderful breakfast, enjoy a bit of time walking and/or sitting on a lounger outside by the pool and then go to the cruise terminal after noon. Another option is going to one of the airport hotels as Old Salt recommends and do the same as I have mentioned above, some airport hotels offer shuttles to the port. Suggestions for enjoying breakfast in the FLL terminals are good, I'm always ready to get out in the fresh air and away from the airport. JMO Cherie

This sounds great, but what motivates the hotel to do this? Do you tell them that you will only be there for breakfast and are they OK with that?

igraf

These hotel coffee shops 'sell meals. Theya re in the business of feedingg people for money. These hotels have gfit shops, and they wouuld be more rhan happy for you to buy a sweatshirt, mug etc . Doormen welcome generous tips .

igraf

These hotel coffee shops 'sell meals. Theya re in the business of feeding people for money. These hotels havve gift shops, and they wouuld be more than happy for you to buy a sweatshirt, mug cap, sun lotion etc . Doormen welcome generous . tips

Just out of curiosity, why would you be sending your "luggage a week in advance"? OP indicated that she/he/they would be arriving at FLL on their cruise departure date - as such, the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery price for "two pieces of luggage" would be $39.95 ... much less than a day rate at any hotel that I would stay in ... YMMV ...

That was cheapest price. For 3 (maybe 2) days it was over $400. This was the service that picked up from your house and shipped it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In our recent case we picked the "red eye" to save costs - no overnight stay in FLL. so adding extra costs would undermine any advantages perhaps when one chooses a red-eye in the first place.

(BTW - never again for us - it was not worth it.)

I woudl taxi from airport to one of the hotels near pORT eVERGLADES, have the door man hold my luggage, have a nice breakfast, roam the hotel trounds and then taxi to Port Everglades when it is likely they are starting check in and boarding.

I like the idea of the VIP luggage delivery service. We let go of the bags at the airline counter and the next time we see them is on the ship. No having to haul through taxis' give and retrieve from doormen etc. The price seems very reasonable. I will report back on the experience. Thanks again.

In our recent case we picked the "red eye" to save costs - no overnight stay in FLL. so adding extra costs would undermine any advantages perhaps when one chooses a red-eye in the first place.

(BTW - never again for us - it was not worth it.)

Yes, I agree, but this is just how it worked out this time.

We had an early direct flight from Raleigh for a Princess cruise. We got to the pier around 8:30 or so. The porters had just started taking luggage. We waited outside on a bench until they opened the doors to the terminal a couple of hours later. I had brought a travel Scrabble game, which we played, and we also read books and watched people

That was cheapest price. For 3 (maybe 2) days it was over $400. This was the service that picked up from your house and shipped it down ...

Just what I suspected - the price you quoted was NOT for Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service which does not pick up luggage at your home (see https://www.maketraveleasier.com/bagsvip ) but rather for a different delivery service which , as best I can determine, is not even offered by Bags Inc. Please provide info on the company who provides the home pick-up service that you described, as that is a service that probably would be of interest to CCers.

Thanks

... and Go Kats!!!

Another good suggestion, especially if you're traveling on a very tight budget and can't afford to spend ~$40 to avoid the hassle of schlepping your luggage from FLL to hotel to Ship Terminal. Of course, some of the $40 "savings" will be offset by the tips to the FLL porters, hotel doorman, taxi drivers, and Terminal porters, as IMO no travel budget should too tight to allow for generous tipping of service personnel.

Just what I suspected - the price you quoted was NOT for Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service which does not pick up luggage at your home (see https://www.maketraveleasier.com/bagsvip ) but rather for a different delivery service which , as best I can determine, is not even offered by Bags Inc. Please provide info on the company who provides the home pick-up service that you described, as that is a service that probably would be of interest to CCers.

Thanks

... and Go Kats!!!

HAL recommends Luggage Forward for home-to-ship. This is the page that describes the three different services (Luggage Direct, Luggage Forward, Bags VIP)

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise%20Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,%20Packing%20%26%20Dress%20Code&WT.ac=PopTop_Luggage#

I have used Luggage Forward once. I've used Cunard's version ("White Star Luggage Service") several times. In both cases, the service uses a major carrier like FedEx or DHL. The pickup is usually about one week before your cruise, two weeks if it's international shipping. It's expensive but worth it to us when we have land travel ahead of the cruise. Any of these services is expensive, and expect an extra $100 per bag if you're shipping internationally because the service acts as your customs agent, making sure all paperwork is in order. Ironically, Luggage Forward failed to give me complete instructions for the paperwork to Canada and the bag got stalled in customs. (I went over their heads to FedEx, who sorted it out very nicely)

We recently took the red-eye from San Diego to FLL for our Eurodam cruise. Due to work constraints, that was our only option in order to take a vacation at all. Not ideal, but it was do-able. We booked a room at the Hyatt for the night BEFORE our cruise. I called them to request that they not release the room as a no-show since we weren't arriving to the hotel until the morning of our cruise. There was absolutely no issue w/ the hotel. We took a $10 Uber to the Hyatt, checked-in, and then had breakfast. Followed that w/ a 3 hour nap and a shower and we were ready to go around Noon. I took another Uber to Total Wine to pick up a pre-order. DH picked me up a short time later in another Uber (he had the luggage). It was super-easy. By the time we got to the pier (around 1) there was absolutely no line. We walked right up to the counter, got our IDs and was on the ship in under 10 minutes.

As indicated in my earlier Post, OP should also look into the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service. With Bags VIP Luggage Delivery, you check your bags in at your home airport and Bags VIP will pick up your bags at the cruise destination airport and deliver them to the ship

As indicated in my earlier Post, OP should also look into the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service. With Bags VIP Luggage Delivery, you check your bags in at your home airport and Bags VIP will pick up your bags at the cruise destination airport and deliver them to the ship

Do they deliver right to the ship or just the terminal gate? I've never used this service before so am a little nervous. The address on the sign up did not ask for a ship name so I put that in the "special instructions" section. Thanks.

My preference would be to take a cab to the Hyatt Pier 66 or another "near port" hotel, have bell desk hold luggage, have a wonderful breakfast, enjoy a bit of time walking and/or sitting on a lounger outside by the pool and then go to the cruise terminal after noon. Another option is going to one of the airport hotels as Old Salt recommends and do the same as I have mentioned above, some airport hotels offer shuttles to the port. Suggestions for enjoying breakfast in the FLL terminals are good, I'm always ready to get out in the fresh air and away from the airport. JMO Cherie

Hyatt Pier66 has a good bell staff and no isue fo them to hold your bags. they have a secure room behind the bell desk. ALSO, Hyatt has free wi-fi in the lobby if that is a help to you.

Do they deliver right to the ship or just the terminal gate? I've never used this service before so am a little nervous. The address on the sign up did not ask for a ship name so I put that in the "special instructions" section. Thanks.

Bags Inc. delivers your luggage to the baggage drop-off area at the terminal & from there it is delivered (presumably by the terminal and HAL porters) directly to your stateroom - so you will not see or handle your luggage after you check it in at your departure airport until you see it in your stateroom. Here is the procedure as described in the Bags link on the HAL web site:

Services

Bags VIP Luggage Delivery -
To Your Stateroom

1. Click
and complete your reservation.

2. When departing for your vacation, arrive at the airport from which you are departing, check in your luggage as usual, and pay any applicable fees.

3. Enjoy your flight, knowing you won't have to deal with your luggage again until it joins you at the delivery location you specified on the reservation form.

4. When you arrive at your destination airport, bypass baggage claim. A Bags VIP agent will retrieve your luggage and deliver it strait to your stateroom onboard your cruise, or a destination of your choosing, safely and securely.

5. Along the way, you will receive email updates about the progress of your delivery, and Bags VIP's world-class customer service is always just a phone call or an email away.

For answers to specific questions you may still have and/or to arrange for the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service, call Bags VIP Customer Service at 877-847-0045. We have always found the Bags reps to be helpful, knowledgeable and courteous.

Smooth sailing ...

Bags Inc. delivers your luggage to the baggage drop-off area at the terminal & from there it is delivered (presumably by the terminal and HAL porters) directly to your stateroom - so you will not see or handle your luggage after you check it in at your departure airport until you see it in your stateroom.

Is this service only available if you fly in the day of your cruise?

Is this service only available if you fly in the day of your cruise?

I believe so (although whenever we have used it, we arrived a day or more early and had our luggage delivered to the hotel where we stayed instead of to the ship) ... to be safe I suggest you call Bags VIP Customer Service at 877-847-0045. I think you'll find the Bags reps to be helpful, knowledgeable and courteous.

Smooth sailing :ship::ship::ship: