room service tip question

alicat2016

My god how you guys get so off topic. Just answer the question and quit trying to prove whos' right.

We love room service and use it quite a bit. Nice to have someone deliver decent, free food to our cabin :) We usually order breakfast and lunch on sea days and just breakfast on port days. Really don't do dinner room service although a couple of cruises ago we did one night. We always tip $2. If we order a lot (dinner) then maybe go above, otherwise it's $2.

If you want a pot of coffee for breakfast you might need to ask. Last 2 cruises they brought coffee in the small metal containers that they use for tea. I always order 2 because they are so small.

Enjoy your trip. Remember, you really can't do anything wrong.

i'm pretty sure that the tip for room service is included in the prepaid tips, because when I asked this question about not paying the standard gratuities because of always using room service and the specialty restaurants I was told that the prepaid tips go for the cafe and also for room service...

I would probably give a little something more, but based on what people told me before you are already giving them something if you do the prepaid gratuities.

The real answer to the question posed is that room delivery staff are included in the standard gratuities.

Anything else that anyone says is opinion, not fact.

Of course, anyone is free to tip more if they wish.

Thanks, sollyman. This is the correct answer. Finally.

To the OP, please don't listen to the people suggesting you SKIP room service if you don't want to tip the staff member delivering it. That is ridiculous. :mad: Order your coffee and whatever else you'd enjoy. Thank the server and enjoy. There is NO obligation to tip anyone on the ship on top of the automatic gratuity. No need to feel guilty. What some here see as necessary is actually as mentioned, just their personal opinion.

Tipping threads usually end up a debate of opinions and not heavy on the facts.

i'm pretty sure that the tip for room service is included in the prepaid tips, because when I asked this question about not paying the standard gratuities because of always using room service and the specialty restaurants I was told that the prepaid tips go for the cafe and also for room service...

The auto tip also covers room stewards, laundry and linens, kitchen staff etc. So just because you don't eat in the mdr, doesn't mean you should think of pulling tips from all those folks too.

Thanks, sollyman. This is the correct answer. Finally.

To the OP, please don't listen to the people suggesting you SKIP room service if you don't want to tip the staff member delivering it. That is ridiculous. :mad: Order your coffee and whatever else you'd enjoy. Thank the server and enjoy. There is NO obligation to tip anyone on the ship on top of the automatic gratuity. No need to feel guilty. What some here see as necessary is actually as mentioned, just their personal opinion.

Tipping threads usually end up a debate of opinions and not heavy on the facts.

Need a LIKE button! Totally agree tipping above the standard gratuities is so very personal. Our experience is room service personnel are quite content with a gracious and sincere thank you and the extra amount is not expected. Most of the time we have to say 'wait, here's a little extra for you' because they drop off the tray and head straight out the door.

I would probably give a little something more, but based on what people told me before you are already giving them something if you do the prepaid gratuities.

Room services is NOT included in the pre-paid gratuities.

The real answer to the question posed is that room delivery staff are included in the standard gratuities.

Anything else that anyone says is opinion, not fact.

Of course, anyone is free to tip more if they wish.

On what authority do you claim that room service is included in the pool from pre-paid gratuities? My understanding is that it is not included.

Room services is NOT included in the pre-paid gratuities.

On what authority do you claim that room service is included in the pool from pre-paid gratuities? My understanding is that it is not included.

I've always thought the same, but this is another one of those places where Celebrity is vague and open to interpretation.

The actual statement is "This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience." which can be interpreted to include room service as "dining services staff". I've always tipped probably $3-5 for breakfast (which I agree is the OPs actual question; do I tip $3 or $30?), but it's apparently a corporate business practice (i.e., not for public release) as to who is or is not in the tipping pool.

I've cruised RCI more than Celebrity. At one point, I thought they specifically stated on RCI that room service tips were not included, but that language is absent now. However, RCI is instituting a fee for room service that apparently is split with the server.

A little ambiguity just to drive you nuts...

I tip $1 or $2 for room service. That's my preference. Until such time that Celebrity states 'gratuity not included' on room service menus, or automatically adds a tip as they do at bars, IMHO tipping for room service is optional, and above and beyond what you are already paying for your cruise plus the tips automatically charged to your account. Suggesting that you not use room service if you don't tip extra is rude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If tipping was EXPECTED by the room service staff, I'm pretty sure Celebrity would make it known and the staff would stick around longer.

My understanding is that the room service staff is included in the auto-gratuities.

Cruisers are welcome to tip extra, just as in the MDR at the end of the cruise, and in the speciality restaurants on top of the fee. Note that the line in a speciality restaurant says "additional gratuity".

Tip who you wish when you wish. Or not, as you wish.

However, RCI is instituting a fee for room service that apparently is split with the server.

I have not seen anything that says this fee is split with room service personnel.

I expect it is 100% to RCI.

My experience has been they never hang around in the expectation of a tip, but that it is always appreciated.

P.S. We've found that when we tip for room service, the word travels. It seems to come quickly. Not sure if there is any correlation. :rolleyes:

Do you really think there could be? Unless you've a measure where you haven't tipped, you've had a timer on it and it's been slower then I'm not sure you would be able to tell. I really dislike posts that suggest that greasing a palm in this way leads to better service. It's disrespectful to the crew who all (or mostly all) work very hard to serve everyone regardless. I'm sure they don't have the time to put the word out who tips and who doesn't.

My experience has been they never hang around in the expectation of a tip, but that it is always appreciated.

Do you really think there could be? Unless you've a measure where you haven't tipped, you've had a timer on it and it's been slower then I'm not sure you would be able to tell. I really dislike posts that suggest that greasing a palm in this way leads to better service. It's disrespectful to the crew who all (or mostly all) work very hard to serve everyone regardless. I'm sure they don't have the time to put the word out who tips and who doesn't.

Absolutely agree. Coming from a non tipping culture we pre pay our gratuities because it is the right thing to do when sailing on an American line. My understanding of the website is that this covers all service and backroom staff. After that we expect to be able to choose if we want to give a little more for exceptional service.

I have not seen anything that says this fee is split with room service personnel.

I expect it is 100% to RCI.

The original Cruise Critic posting http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7647 says $7.95 including gratuity. That could be $0.05 of gratuity, and I don't actually see a change on the RCI web page to know exactly what it says.

Do you tip everytime? food or drink? if so how much is about right? is it expected ie do the people hang around in anticipation? sorry for such a noob question, never been in this situation before. Thank you!

I tip $5 per delivery.

Let's put this in perspective. On a 7 day cruise, if you tip $2 every morning to have your coffee and Danish delivered direct to your cabin, that's a whole $10 (because no room service on day 1 and 7).

Hardly a lot, and much appreciated by the staff that has to make special trips with trays to your room.

Let's put this in perspective. On a 7 day cruise, if you tip $2 every morning to have your coffee and Danish delivered direct to your cabin, that's a whole $10 (because no room service on day 1 and 7).

Hardly a lot, and much appreciated by the staff that has to make special trips with trays to your room.

Thank you, Fish Lover. The perspective is much appreciated. I'm fortunate that I'm able to cruise. I share that good fortune with those who make my cruise better. Delivering food to my cabin definitely qualifies in my view.

Thank you every one I do appreciate all the perspectives. I am very sorry the way I wrote the post caused confusion. I didnt mean to start an argument.

I have a budget to stick to and because my currency and the port currency is not dollars I need to make sure to get enough exchanged before we leave.

I simply meant that if its standard to tip $2 dollars for something I don't want to $5+ each time because I like many I am sure dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on a holiday. That said I do NOT want to under tip. I appreciate the hard work when it I could easily walk to the coffee shop or buffet to get my own drink/food, I'm happy to pay for this service but I am a planner and like to know what to expect ahead of time.

In the UK people are paid a set wage for their services and it is only usual to tip if you get a service greater than expected. As someone rightly pointed out I wont be in my country hence why I need to ask these things!

I have never been on a cruise nor have I been to America so I am not accustomed to what tipping etiquette is, surely it is better to ask, plan ahead and learn of other culture than it is to expect others to bend to my ways?

I am on a 10 day cruise so I can pack $50 for room service tips should I wish to use it, thats no problem whatsoever but if I didn't ask then I wouldnt have know.

Again Im very sorry to have offended or annoyed people.

Yes, room service tipping isn't included in the DSC so I usually tip.

This is not correct, or at least it was not correct about 3 or 4 years ago. Twice over the years, with the last time being 3 or 4 years ago, I confirmed with Celebrity via email that the daily gratuity service charge did in fact include gratuities for the room service staff.

My experiance, again it's been a few years, is that room service delivery staff not only didn't wait around with their hand out for a tip but more often (at least for breakfast) then set down the tray and were out of the room so quickly that unless you had any extra tip money already in hand when you opened the door for them that it was hard to get the money out in time to tip them.

Personally, we would always tip room service a little extra cash, but my feeling was that if one was not inclined to do so that they could feel comfortable that they were not stiffing the staff as long as they were paying the standard daily gratuity service charges.

This goes along with any other service on the ship. While many, or most, people do tip additional for the good service they get on board, ever service on board where a tip is expected is either included in the daily gratuity charge or there is an additional charge for, or including, gratuities charged for the purchase or service. Anything off the ship, including excursion guides and baggage handlers, is a different story and is not included automatically.

Edited by Lsimon

This is not correct, or at least it was not correct about 3 or 4 years ago. Twice over the years, with the last time being 3 or 4 years ago, I confirmed with Celebrity via email that the daily gratuity service charge did in fact include gratuities for the room service staff.

Just rang celebrity they have agreed it is included but should you wish to tip extra you'd be welcome.

Just rang celebrity they have agreed it is included but should you wish to tip extra you'd be welcome.

So good to know. We've also confirmed this before with Princess ... and yes, the room service staff are included in the daily tip pool. It used to be that on Celebrity, your room steward was the one that made the room service deliveries ... although, I haven't ordered room service in a number of years but don't think that is currently the way it is done. Even though the room service staff is compensated accordingly, I still tip a few dollars each time they deliver anything ... but like I said, that was a long time ago.

Thanks to the OP for coming back and explaining their question .... he/she sounds like a gracious person and even from the beginning, just wanted to know if they should tip and how much without going overboard.