LIVE Spirit from Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon March 31 2017

spinnaker2

Correction to my previous post - looks like there's yet another time change between Ponta Delgado and Lisbon. That's the big downside to west-east crossings, all the 23 hour days!

At least, since we've rerouted a little further south, the seas have settled, it's partly sunny, and very pleasant on deck. Shame we had to miss Horta, but we really needed to get out of the rough seas yesterday. Moss was struggling since he had to cancel events, it wasn't safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didnt realize any events had been canceled. I keep missing announcements because theyre usually over by the time I can open my cabin door to listen. And Ive been in "quarantine" because I got food poisoning 2 nights ago in the main dining room, probably from a hamburger. I only ate a burger, the beet carpaccio, and the cappuccino dessert, and was hit 2 hrs later, making me believe it was a chemical rather than bacterial cause.

Did i mention that both my room attendant and my butler were replaced several days ago? At first I was told one of them was sick and in the infirmary, then was told the other "just needed to rest". The nurse and dr who visited me for the food poisoning claim that neither guy has been ill. At this point, Im skeptical of everything Im told.

OMG, I just ate a hamburger from the MDR accompanied by lots of wine, and after a lovely wine tasting with food in le champagne. Had lunch with a very entertaining couple and lots of laughs. Nerick kept pouring the wine. Just too much fun! I hope the vino kills any germs.

Tonight is formal night and Venetian night.

Seas much calmer and plenty of pax by the pool, including the same pax with the exact same reserved chairs. Me thinks some $$ changed hands to save the chairs, as these people also have the same table every night in LaT.

We are enjoying every minute!

Spins....you've hit the nail right on the head with saying you are enjoying every minute....that's really what it's all about.

We can all moan and groan and pick fault but tis always best to just relax and enjoy and let the world go by....and also count our lucky stars that we are all able to enjoy the good things life can offer......

Enjoy the rest of your voyage.......☺️

Thoroughly enjoying cruise but sorry to miss Horta. I too missed the M&M. My invite was incorrect. I stopped by Observation and then Panorama. Didn't see anything that looked like the M&M so I ended up at the solo gathering. Had lunch with Barbara the first day and talked a bit to David. Hope to meet more of you maybe on the next trip.

Jaci

Choppy seas with intermittent sun and clouds. Chilly at 57F and strong winds.

Nice dinner with Moss and other pax in MDR last night.

Venetians aplenty at reception. One pax with way over 600, DH thinks it was closer to 700.

Today's lunch is " American grill and Bar".

Trying to book another cruise, many are sold out or close to sold out, especially the Muse crossing and Montreal to Ft lauderdale.

Same with the crossing on Whisper from Southhampton.

Special towel report...fluffy and not scratchy at all.

All is good aboard. We are losing hours but not minding. They have to be stored somewhere. :-)

Supposed to be in Ponta Delgada at six pm, alongside by seven.

And it is COLD!! I've just been out for a promenade along the promenade in light rain with a spectacular rainbow, now back looking for a hot meal in Hot Rocks.

Very relaxed atmosphere on board, Moss is doing his show later, gonna be a fun evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy yourself, Spins! From your early postings, I know you packed for cool weather, but - of course - were wishing not to need using it. I think I said earlier that I don't recommend the tropics in March due to high winds and undercurrents...but, you are on the Spirit and nothing can top that!!

David, Ida and are really enjoying your daily t-shirts--seems like (as usual on Silversea Spirit crossings (2011-2016) we are right there besides you. Thanks for sharing your T-shirt pix and cruise snaps too.

I am not a very sociable person and so take most of my evening meals alone in my cabin.

However, this evening, I ventured out to La Terrazza for dinner.

It was wonderful. I started with the snails in tomato sauce. So good it took two slices of bread to sop up the remaining sauce!

Then on to pasta bolognaise. I don't know the names of the different pastas and have never been able to get it to fit into a soup spoon! But delicious. Then veal liver and onions. I don't think, even in the finest Italian restaurants in Italy or New York it could have been any better! A sour cherry dolce and cappuccino to finish as the sun set directly aft. It doesn't get any better than that! Goodnight all!

Choppy seas with intermittent sun and clouds. Chilly at 57F and strong winds. Trying to book another cruise, many are sold out or close to sold out, especially the Muse crossing and Montreal to Ft lauderdale. Same with the crossing on Whisper from Southhampton. Special towel report...fluffy and not scratchy at all. All is good aboard. We are losing hours but not minding. They have to be stored somewhere. Supposed to be in Ponta Delgada at six pm, alongside by seven.

Appreciate these great updates and follow-ups from Spins and the other super-star reporters. Received some pictures from Candy over the weekend, but was busy going down to Virginia and back for time our grandsons. So, catching now and in the next posts with some of her picture.

Keep 'em coming!! Love to see some tasty food pictures, etc.!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 49,619 views for these postings.

Here is phase one for the nice pictures from Spins/Candy for the Silver Spirit and Ponta Delgada. This includes the drama for the open seas versus the clouds, a great rainbow, locations and sights in and around Ponta Delgado, etc.:

MarTravel2017BB%20153_zps3zeu4gll.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20152_zpsiuvabb01.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20150%201_zpsp19wmazm.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20149%201_zpskxcvxshf.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20148%201_zpsgczibebg.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Ready for more? Here is the second group from Spins/Candy. Keep 'em coming. Love getting lots of local color, architecture, people, sights, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 177,041 views for this posting.

Here is phase two for the nice pictures from Spins/Candy for the Silver Spirit and Ponta Delgada. This includes Sete cidades caldera, a cow really needing to be milked (ouch!!??), a great double rainbow and some rain hitting the edge of the ship when leaving Ponta Delgada. In the background is the Azamara ship.:

MarTravel2017BB%20147%201_zpszwjczbao.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20146%201_zps9t2v2wsu.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20151_zpskh99y23e.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20145%201_zpsvrobe4h0.jpg

Lovely! Thanks,Terry, for helping Spins share her photos. I may be asking you the same service for me in May... soon you will be charging...

Appreciate this great follow-up and mention. YES!! Happy to be of help for our New York friend, especially given your sailing route and key port stops. While we have twice been to Barcelona and super loved that charming/historic town, there is a super special interest with your stops in Lisbon, Porto, La Coruña, Bilbao, Bordeaux and Saint Malo. Never visited these locations and getting ready for our adventures there in June 2017 on the Silver Spirit. Looking forward to your advanced "scouting" tips, insights and sharing. Don't warn them that I'm coming soon.

Costs? I will try to keep those charges "reasonable"!! Maybe throw in a few editing tricks and enhancements to make the visuals look even better.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Thanks Terry for posting.

I can edit photos but won't upload saved photos. So they are what they are. Can't even crop

We left the rain behind in ponta Delgada and now sunnily steaming our way to lisboa. Swimmers in pool early and walkers rounding the stacks. Loungers out and so are the four "booked" (literally) sun beds. 54 F.

Sea is steely blue with whitecaps, clouds on horizon, but white fluffy things across a blue sky. They don't look very threatening.

Hope today is warmer as yesterday one really needed a parka. Even with layers I was chilled to the bone.

Another glorious day aboard the Silver Spirit.

Thanks Terry for posting. I can edit photos but won't upload saved photos. So they are what they are. Can't even crop. We left the rain behind in ponta Delgada and now sunnily steaming our way to lisboa. Sea is steely blue with whitecaps, clouds on horizon, but white fluffy things across a blue sky. They don't look very threatening. Hope today is warmer as yesterday one really needed a parka. Even with layers I was chilled to the bone.

Super love the "Less Whine. More Wine" tee-shirt from englishusa. Fun and cute!! Appreciate the updating from Spins/Candy. Sorry on your photo limitations. Keep sending the photos. Am happy to fine-tune and post. Keep 'em coming!! Love to hear more details, special secrets/tips for the Silver Spirit, etc. Food pictures? Keep it coming. Good luck for getting the best weather.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 211,945 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi, TLCOhio. I was just on another thread in the Silversea forum, and Master Echo reported that Silversea's chairman, Manfredi, was onboard last night checking out how passengers were doing in a variety of restaurants. I definitely got a sense that there's a new spring-in-the-step at Silversea, and the new executive team -- and much of it is really really new though all are highly qualified, respected and accomplished cruise industry executives -- are really excited about making Silversea great. I think the big challenge for them is going to be how to make each ship fairly consistent so that you're getting a similar experience regardless of the vessel. That's the top priority on the list and that's where the major refurbishments they're putting in place will come in handy. We're going to continue to stay on top of the evolution of Silversea -- it's quite exciting to see all this new, great energy. Carolyn

In case some might have missed the great postings and responses, here is what the Cruise Critic Editor-in-Chief shared as a response to my question about the long-term direction for Silversea from their family ownership. She and others give the new Muse high marks. It is very insightful as to her observation that the challenge is in making the service and quality consistent for all ships. Looking forward to sampling the Silver Spirit for the first time in mid June.

Reactions and insights from those on the Silver Spirit now?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 49,619 views for these postings.