Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

There are also situations when someone may need a wheelchair to board but can move around the ship without one. I can manage to walk the distance from the car to check in but would find it difficult to walk from the departures lounge onto the ship and then up to either buffet or cabin. On my last cruise my walking ability had deteriorated and I was using a very small mobility scooter, all registered with the mobility people at P&O. So people would have seen me boarding using my scooter but would then have seen me around the ship with just a walking stick. I used the scooter when we were on shore and there was one occasion when my knee was bad and I had to use the scooter to get to the restaurant for breakfast. I can quite understand that people may have thought, "Why does she need a scooter when we've seen her walking around the ship?" So people should not be quick to judge. As for the original poster I cannot believe that they did not get in touch with P&O ahead of the cruise to inform them of the elderly lady's problems. As for arriving over 3 hours before their scheduled departure time - well if every disabled or elderly passenger did that there would be chaos! I have always found P&O to be particularly 'disabled friendly' and have received nothing but help and a caring attitude from the staff I have encountered.

Of course I 'phoned them ahead of time and explained the situation!! They told me that I might have a short wait of perhaps 15-20 mins, which is perfectly acceptable.

Other cruiselines cope perfectly well with the wheelchair situation at whichever time anyone arrives - our problem which has been spelt out previously, is that we have to use the M25 & M3. Now any sane person will understand that you have to allow for serious delays. Their suggestion was that Mum walks around West Quay for two hours!! Like that could happen....muppets!!

All other cruiselines distribute wheelchair assistance on a first-come first-served basis. Priority check-in is a different thing and they all do this. Nowhere does it say that loyalty club members and suites have priority for wheelchairs. This is actual illegal!! G*d help us in an emergency - it will be suites and loyalty members first in the lifeboats - not written - but we are entitled!! We have paid the most!!

Obviously, after our next cruise which was actually booked before we tried them out, (mistake on my part) we will revert to Cunard, Celebrity etc. And now NCL and MSC will be out of Soham in the summer. We have enjoyed both of those operations. Shame about Pando really as there are some good things about it - but lack of attention to detail - and even more lack of wanting to change in order to improve, has meant they now have to sell cheap, supply cheap drinks and cheap tips in order to fill their ships. And this was a British Flagship line known for fine service. Sad really.

Their actions are illegal....regardless of whether we arrive at their given time (which we would be idiots to attempt) or are on their loyalty scheme. This is also Day 1 of OUR cruise and yet others get lunch and a chance to join activities, which others can't. Thus, in no way are we being treated equally.

Anyone on here denying a very frail old lady the right to receive help to board as easily as possible, is a very sad person indeed and I do hope that you receive similar lack of empathy when you reach (if) a ripe old age. Britain seems to have become a very uncaring society.....ME ME ME ....I can board OK, so who cares about the more vulnerable members of society? That seems to be the attitude of some of you on here.

Mind you, Pando cheerleaders are never going to admit that anything Pando does is wrong (unless it happens to them of course ROTFL:p:p

Hi

One of the reasons prices are not as high as 2001 is that crew are now paid less than in 2001.

However a cruise I did in 2013 cost me £1700. Prices crashed after I booked and passengers in the same cabin grade paid around £1000. The cuts were beginning to show. If I booked the same cabin & cruise for 2018 I was quoted over £2500. Not a slight rise but I would expect service and quality to be much higher than it is today. P&O are just getting greedy, and their shares are doing well so they can afford to reinstate some of the little extras you higher tier customers used to have. I am not a higher tier but I can see there are fewer cleaners, waiters and cabin stewards.

I just love forums, such fun!

Cathy

Especially when you make things up. Staff are paid less than in 2001. And what proof do you have of that.

The prices are now staying high because more people are cruising. Therefore no need for the prices to come down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

BMT

I have been following this thread, and have taken on board your comments ME ME ME.

Look at yourself, you booked, and were given a boarding time but because ME ME ME you tried to gain some perceived advantage and have blamed P&O for not allowing you to do so.

You caused your own situation, just a point how do you managed muster!!

I give up. I have tried (on several ocassions) to explain to BMT why their arguement holds no water whatsoever and in fact contradicts the very point that they are trying to make, yet all we get are the same illogical points made over and over again, ignoring all the facts.

I'm glad that my disabled wife and I now know that we can now ignore our 3.30pm boarding slot, turn up at 12pm and demand to be boarded immediately. In addition to demanding priority boarding when we haven't booked a Suite (and have yet to achieve Caribbean loyalty status) we can also now insist that we are admitted to the priority boarders dedicated lunch. And, of course, if P&O don't do all of this, I can tell them that they are breaking the law and discriminating against us. Happy days!

What complete and utter nonsense. I hope that BMT follows through on their assertion that what they have experienced is illegal. A solicitor will laugh them out of the door, having presented them with a bill for the privelige.

I note that we never did establish precisely what time they boarded. BMT has steadfastly refused to answer that one. Interesting. I suspect it was well before their 3.30pm designated slot.

A bit of me wonders if this whole thing is a wind up as it is so farcical. Good luck to anyone else who tries to bring any logic or reason to this debate. I'm out!

Well, you could quite easily go round West Quay etc. Frail old elderly people with medical probs are physically unable to do that. She has to eat at certain times and rest in the afternoon. That's what 102 year-olds do.

That is why this problem has never risen previously - all the other cruiselines understand that. They process those who require a wheelchair asap regardless of how much they spend. This, by the way, is the LAW!!!

Apart from a few people on here, I like to believe we live in a caring society. In fact, I am rather shocked by some of the attitudes shown on here!! I know I shouldn't be surprised, as we read the most awful things in the papers and there are obviously horrible people around - but to actually express these opinions on line - I find it quite shocking. Probably wouldn't do it under their own name - its the anonymity of the internet - an open invitation to bullying, uncaring people who are cowards.

Sorry BMT you clearly have no idea of the law. I am disabled and have been all my life. I have been involved in disability matters for the Pas 30 years. Disabled people want and should have equality. This I believe is what you have. You have the same rights as other people. You can be boarded on the ship when it is your time as per your ETicket. As a disabled person you have the same right as everyone else, to be last on.

The company have a limited number of wheelchairs and people to push them. They do not have enough to get everyone on board at the same time.

Were the wheelchairs empty and the pushers doing nothing or were they all employed with other disabled passengers.

So which of the disabled passengers who were boarded before you would you like P&O to push out of the way just for you. The ones who had arrived at the correct time?

I find it interesting that you have on at. Least two occasions asked why you have not been flamed well because people may have had some sympathy. Clearly from your posts all you want is an argument and you do not like it when people are saying they think you are wrong.

The vulnerable people in a caring society are looked after according to their needs. Explain why all the other cruiselines can do this and Pando can't? Mind you, onboard we did encounter quite a few inflexible attitudes - so perhaps some of you on here are well-suited to Pando. We really do prefer proper service. Another passenger said that the ship is run for the convenience of the staff and not the guests.

And it is illegal - we have paid the same as anyone else and yet are not allowed to board until just before the sailing - that is discrimination - because we have not paid enough to be boarded earlier!!

Anyway, since she needs to be boarded on arrival for health reasons and we are unable to time arrival exactly, the other cruise lines accept this for the more vulnerable in our society. Especially those in a frail condition - which obviously many disabled aren't and are able to move around, albeit with aids, as in the ParaOlympics. Even those in wheelchairs can go around shopping centres!! Frail old ladies of 102 can't do that however much you are trying to obscure the problem!!

Really, by the very tone of some of you, I think you believe that the frail elderly should be neither seen nor heard in case it may inconvenience you!!

Too bad.....and it will happen to you too hopefully, when you get old - if you do!! Living in a Care Home we do see what an uncaring society we have become - the lonely plight of elderly relatives is a disgrace upon the heads of their children - and indeed all of our society.

I bet some of you would never give up a seat to an old person, because you have paid the same fare.:mad::mad: Same as letting an elderly person go first onto the ship - bet you would elbow them out of the way to get to the buffet ROTFL

To labour the point, the DDA is about ensuring a level playing field and that individual needs are met. It is not abut treating people the same. Would a customer with a hearing impairment want to be treated the same as a wheel chair user? Of course not- their needs are different. P&O are in breach of the DDA by not taking into to the lady's needs, regardless of her designated arrival time and especially as her needs had been discussed in advance.

Do we really live in a society where some of us seem to find it acceptable that this lady received poor customer service?

The poster has a valid point about P&O in this instance. So why don't we all just say something like" yes P&O got it wrong this time," and move on?

Sorry wrong. No where in the DDA, by the way does not now exist. Did it mention that someone with a disability should get on a cruise ship first. It you have 50/100 people with disabilities they can not all get on first. Some did and some did not this person is complaining because she was in the second group.

Nonsense - I expect flames because obviously there will be Pando cheerleaders on here (and probably PR staff) - this happens with all the cruiselines. They all have their cheerleaders and staff who come on line - "criticise my fave cruiseline at your peril - I will send you up in flames"!! Childish really.

As far as I am concerned - each according to his need.....not his money when it comes to things like this. That is a caring society.

Anyway, we will arrive when practical and see what happens. I will be taking pix next time so that I can take further action and post vids of those swanning through. If I have time, I may go on to Rob Brydon's twitter and facebook and have a go there! Serve Pando right for being so uncaring about the vulnerable in our society.

Most amusingly, they can't even reply to complaints in a conciliatory manner. None of the "so sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations" and all that c**p!! No wonder they rarely get 5 stars for customer satisfaction....they haven't a clue!! What's the point of antagonising your customers?

Anyway, the money they have spent on advertising today is breathtaking. Do better to get to the nitty gritty and improve the product. Wouldn't take much doing either!!

To labour the point, the DDA is about ensuring a level playing field and that individual needs are met. It is not abut treating people the same. Would a customer with a hearing impairment want to be treated the same as a wheel chair user? Of course not- their needs are different. P&O are in breach of the DDA by not taking into to the lady's needs, regardless of her designated arrival time and especially as her needs had been discussed in advance.

Do we really live in a society where some of us seem to find it acceptable that this lady received poor customer service?

The poster has a valid point about P&O in this instance. So why don't we all just say something like" yes P&O got it wrong this time," and move on?

Well said Cathygh, not sure how this has become a bit of a bun fight....one things for sure we all have differing opinions...and its normally good fun to see views being aired sometimes a bit spikely...when its aimed toward a 102 year old lady and her carer (who is also a bit spikey:)) then it doesnt really feel right imho.

Hey Scriv - had already booked Christmas and NY - even before we sailed in Feb. After that, back to Cunard in the winter. It wasn't a bad cruise, just not up to our expectations compared to say NCL and MSC. Not comparing it to Cunard or Celebrity as they are in a different class.

P&O think that by throwing money at the advertising the punters will come - and sadly they will. And its the first-time cruisers who really splash the cash.:p So sad to see such a famous cruiseline cheapened - very few 5 star satisfaction reviews on here.

Barriead - not only spikey, but I am a really feisty blue hair aka silver surfer!! That's what happens when you retire, you have time to complain about things!! :halo:

Yes, I am wondering who is really on here - is it Pando defending its position? You wouldn't imagine some of the posts on here coming from normal people. That's the beauty and the darkness of the internet. People are anonymous and are free to bully and air views that are non pc..

Nonsense - I expect flames because obviously there will be Pando cheerleaders on here (and probably PR staff) - this happens with all the cruiselines. They all have their cheerleaders and staff who come on line - "criticise my fave cruiseline at your peril - I will send you up in flames"!! Childish really.

As far as I am concerned - each according to his need.....not his money when it comes to things like this. That is a caring society.

Anyway, we will arrive when practical and see what happens. I will be taking pix next time so that I can take further action and post vids of those swanning through. If I have time, I may go on to Rob Brydon's twitter and facebook and have a go there! Serve Pando right for being so uncaring about the vulnerable in our society.

Most amusingly, they can't even reply to complaints in a conciliatory manner. None of the "so sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations" and all that c**p!! No wonder they rarely get 5 stars for customer satisfaction....they haven't a clue!! What's the point of antagonising your customers?

Anyway, the money they have spent on advertising today is breathtaking. Do better to get to the nitty gritty and improve the product. Wouldn't take much doing either!!

To use your terminology "nonsense "

BMT, I agree:

"In fact, I am rather shocked by some of the attitudes shown on here!! I know I shouldn't be surprised, as we read the most awful things in the papers and there are obviously horrible people around - but to actually express these opinions on line - I find it quite shocking."

For example:

"hope your money chokes you!!"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have to say that, having read all of the posts today, it all seems a bit surreal to me and surely some of the posts can't be 'real'. I am surprised that the moderators have let it go on this long. Bizarre :eek:

After a little investigation, I can say that btw has been having a good laugh at our expense. First of all, no insurance company will give cover for a 102 year old lady, and without cover P&O will not let her on board.

Not quite sure why btw wanted to waste everyone's time, but perhaps now we can get back to the real world.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app