Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

Is this for a 4.30pm sailing? If so that must one of the last to board

We are on D Deck mid ship balcony Arcadia was hoping for earlier than that time as we are staying overnight in Southampton

I think D deck on Arcadia is 1:30pm

Ventura D deck aft allocated 3pm. (Boarded nearer 4pm)

Perhaps we should compile a spread sheet.

Good idea re the spread sheet

We were in an aft cabin on Britannia F729 2 yrs ago and were given 4 pm :(

We are on Ventura in August in D114 (I think) and am expecting 3.30pm having read other posts

Ridiculous, but that is another thread and it is what it is .....

I would get priority for,

1. Distance to travel.

2. Date and time booked.

3. Baltic tier

4. Disability.

5. Suite.

:) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Made me chuckle, they should let you on at 7am with all those qualifications 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Made me chuckle, they should let you on at 7am with all those qualifications 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Long before that. :) :) :)

Maybe they can let you go out with the pilot boat as your ship docks!!!;p

I was thinking more of flying out to the last port of the previous cruise. :) :)

Then I remembered I don't fly. :(

I was thinking more of flying out to the last port of the previous cruise. :) :)

Then I remembered I don't fly. :(

You don't do tenders either so maybe the pilot boat was a bad idea?

You don't do tenders either so maybe the pilot boat was a bad idea?

Oh no I can manage a tender. Not sure about the pilot boat. :)

Oh no I can manage a tender. Not sure about the pilot boat. :)

In that case, because your 'qualifications' make you so special, perhaps they should allocate you a tender from your preferred ship and tow you around in it for all cruises you haven't booked on. That way, you could always have extra priority:halo:

In that case, because your 'qualifications' make you so special, perhaps they should allocate you a tender from your preferred ship and tow you around in it for all cruises you haven't booked on. That way, you could always have extra priority:halo:

Not my qualifications only the ones others have suggested.

Just back from sailing on Britannia. Embarkation time 3pm, turned up at 1pm. Had to wait until 2.55pm for check in. People who turned up at their allocated time clearly took priority. Wish I had just turned up at 3.

Also just back from the Britannia, Embarkation time 2:30 pm (E (10) Deck Aft), turned up at 1:10 pm and was on board and in cabin by 1:35 pm. Heard on board from people who had to wait 2 to 3 hours to board. Last year on Ventura 3:30 pm boarding turned up at 2 pm and was on by 3 pm, went to the cabin and was watching as the queue to board was actually outside the terminal building and the Ship was delayed sailing because they couldn't board all the passengers in time. I really don't understand the way this thing works.

Nor does anyone it seems We are C Deck at 3.30. Judging by the posts, far too many allocated late boarding times. Those with early who can't get there so early, will overflow with all the late times. Thus the ship can't leave on time occasionally.

I have emailed them and received no sensible replies. They say they do not discriminate in allocation of wheelchairs - when clearly they do.......that my 102-year-old mother should find something to do in Southampton for two hours...really? Went on and on until they got fed up when I asked whether loyalty members and suites get priority for toilets and elevators onboard, as nowhere is wheelchair priority listed and I just wanted to know what other priorities were included but not listed.:evilsmile:

They then sent me a long list of amenities at the terminal - all irrelevant. ie toilets she can't access. This list also included a refreshment stand - presumably to purchase the lunch for which we have already paid, as boarding is counted as Day 1. This has only recently occurred to me.

Hopefully, I have given them some aggro, just as they are giving us. Anyway, they haven't a clue as to PR. Their first reply should have been along the lines of:

"So sorry we did not live up to your expectations re our boarding procedures and the discomfort and inconvenience caused to your mother. We have noted your comments and this subject will be reviewed at our next Operations Meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back on board in the near future".

Its what I used to call the "shut you out" letter!:D In the meantime, they had to waste a lot of time replying needlessly to emails.

I do remember years ago my bro (brother!) wrote a letter of complaint to Princess - who were then famous for replying months later. Sure enough, six months later he received a letter along the lines of "We were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your cruise and look forward to welcoming back again soon". Either they mixed up the letters or this is their "shut out". Hehehe!!

Fact is, once you are off the ship, they are really not interested.

Change of subject, what do you think of NCL going all inclusive? With the Jade out of Soham this year, will it affect Pando?

I do remember years ago my bro (brother!) wrote a letter of complaint to Princess - who were then famous for replying months later. Sure enough, six months later he received a letter along the lines of "We were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your cruise and look forward to welcoming back again soon
This reminds me of years ago when we once wrote a letter of praise to Virgin - can't remember for what reason - and received a letter along the lines of their apologies for their not having reached their high standards this time and sending us a voucher for a very decent sum!!!!!

Not wanting to get involved in all the stuff following the OP question but just my opinion re boarding. My early cruises were with P&O and their embarkation process was a nightmare. All of my cruises on other lines, embarkation has been a breeze so P&O do need to look at what their competition gets right.

I am cruising with them again next month so will feedback whether they have improved or not.

Good to know about the 2.30pm on Britannia E deck aft as we will be there next week!

Previously we have been given 3.30 turning up at the port about 2pm to get into the car queue. Then we have always had to wait beyond our embarkation time. Last time, however,we had booked a suite and arrived at 12.15 to find loads of people boarding.

We try and arrive at the port about an hour before our allocated time after spending the night in Winchester as we have a reasonably long journey and the other half travels a lot and refuses to travel the day of the cruise. We mooch around Winchester the morning of the cruise which is a really picturesque place. On one occasion we thought the traffic was going to be bad and headed into Southampton early parking up and had a couple of yobs on scooters trying to get into the car window. I know this can happen anywhere but it spoilt the day somewhat.

Oohhh, it's irritating. I shouldn't post again but ......Celebrity and Royal Caribbean manage seamless embarkation at Southampton. Check in starts at 10.30, boarding at about 11.15. No hassle, no waiting, for anyone. The ONLY reason P&O struggle is their silly structured boarding times and the lesser numbers of check in staff and check in desks. It's about cost and nothing to do with enhancing the customer experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm, the consensus of opinion is definitely "P&O can do better"...I do find it odd they do not address the matter or try to explain the process a bit clearer...its got to be in their interest to help stop the complaints and make most passengers happier surely....I must admit though getting on the ship early and having to hang around waiting for my cabin does not appeal to me (but then again I dont have far to travel, about half hour)...now if I drunk alcohol in the daytime it might...but I dont.:):)

So wrong John. I am avoiding confrontation unlike you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Unlike some people I have not gone over the same argument that has been posted on here 2/3 times. The arguments by those who do not like the system are the same over and over again. That does not make them right.

The vast majority of people I read about are now quite happy with the system which is now in place. There are clearly those who do not like what happens now but as I said above the majority of these people are those who want to be on board first and are upset that they have been prevented doing this.

It is noticeable that there were few complaints before, that the other cruise lines were better at embarkation when they could turn up long before their allocated time and be allowed on first.

They then sent me a long list of amenities at the terminal - all irrelevant. ie toilets she can't access. This list also included a refreshment stand - presumably to purchase the lunch for which we have already paid, as boarding is counted as Day 1. This has only recently occurred to me.

Perhaps that is why the cruises are sold as x number of nights and not x number of days. :) Have you really paid for lunch for the day you board.:confused:

Perhaps that is why the cruises are sold as x number of nights and not x number of days. :) Have you really paid for lunch for the day you board.:confused:

Whilst I took issue with BMT (who feels strongly that priority boarding priveliges for suite and high loyalty tier passengers should be withdrawn for disabled passengers, but being over 100 should entitle you to be able to turn up three and a half hours early and board immediately!), I do agree with them that it should be reasonable to assume that you should be on board in time to have lunch, even if it's a late one.

Most passengers will leave home in the morning, as they will have a long journey and will sensibly allow for potential delays. Furthermore, I am sure that I am not alone in not feeling uncomfortable leaving a car load of valuable possessions unattended whilst killing time in Southampton if we don't meet with any hold ups.

As someone who has only ever cruised with P&O, I hadn't appreciated quite how slow and old fashioned their boarding procedures are compared to the US lines. We like to be on board for lunch (travelling makes me hungry!), but don't like the buffet, mostly for hygiene reasons as explained on another thread. Embarkation day is the one and only time we use it as there is no other choice. I'd like to see the Glass House open for food, which would be a civilised way to start the holiday.