In case anyone thinks they don't enforce the dress code strictly enough

lisiamc

We were just finishing the trivia in the Sky lounge, and thought we'd stay on for the Elite Cocktail Hour for a quick drink. I was wearing black trousers, and a black and white top, with thong-style sandals, with a smooth black leather strap that goes between my toes. Definitely not pool flip-flops, but technically flip-flop style sandals. I was asked to leave by the Captain's Club hostess, because no flip-flops are allowed at the Elite Cocktail Hour.

Indeed, when I read the requirements for the Cocktail Hour, it says clearly that no flip-flops or sandals are allowed. So if I go and put on my nice blingy long dress, and my sparkly evening sandals (with a strap that goes between my toes) I still won't be in compliance with the dress code. However, if I put in my heavy, clompy athletic shoes with my dress, I will be meeting the code just fine. OK, that makes sense to me... :o

We were just finishing the trivia in the Sky lounge, and thought we'd stay on for the Elite Cocktail Hour for a quick drink. I was wearing black trousers, and a black and white top, with thong-style sandals, with a smooth black leather strap that goes between my toes. Definitely not pool flip-flops, but technically flip-flop style sandals. I was asked to leave by the Captain's Club hostess, because no flip-flops are allowed at the Elite Cocktail Hour.

Indeed, when I read the requirements for the Cocktail Hour, it says clearly that no flip-flops or sandals are allowed. So if I go and put on my nice blingy long dress, and my sparkly evening sandals (with a strap that goes between my toes) I still won't be in compliance with the dress code. However, if I put in my heavy, clompy athletic shoes with my dress, I will be meeting the code just fine. OK, that makes sense to me... :o

Well how do you think they should word it.

I think it's difficult for Celebrity to word things unambiguously. I interpreted their dress code to mean that they didn't want people wearing their best car-washing clothes, with manky pool flip-flops. Maybe I should interpret it as no bare toes allowed under any circumstances? My personal view is that evening sandals are nicer than dusty trainers, but the rules state that the opposite is true. In the end, it's their venue, they can set their own rules, and I will abide by them. This is the first time I've known them to be quite so literal. I've seen some amazing things slide by in the past!

That would be disappointing; I don't bring any covered toe shoes on a Caribbean cruise, with the exception of Keens - I even wear my Birkenstocks with socks on the flight. We had a beverage package on our first Celebrity cruise so we never made it to the Elite cocktail hour but I would have been a little miffed if I was asked to leave while wearing dressier sandals. I do get that it's stated in the rules but the no flip flop rule is stated for the MDR and I had no problem there with dressy flip flops.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

We had the same issue with a Caribbean cruise a few years ago. I think it is up the to the Captain's Club representative and some take things literally. It happened once but on subsequent cruises we have always worn sandals at the elite cocktail hour and will continue to do so.

We have a drinks package, and I've found that I am very welcome in the fun, buzzy Martini Bar with my nice sandals. So, not a severe problem for now. I am sure that the Captain's Club Cocktail Hour will manage just fine without me. I hope we don't get an invitation to dine with the CC hostess (does that even happen any more?) because I will have to decline.

Yup, had the same thing happen to me once. I was wearing a sundress with kitten heeled "sandals" and was told I couldn't enter. I told her that the ONLY shoes I had brought that didn't show my toes were my running shoes... I asked her if I should wear THOSE to the Captain's cocktail party with my cocktail dress later in the cruise. Just want to know to save myself from having to go back and change out of my high heels, because those also show my toes. She finally saw my point and reconsidered her stance on women's shoes. I was allowed in. The men, however, who were wearing Keen style shoes had to go back and put on their sneakers.

Since then I've been able to wear "thong" style sandals with no issues. I'm not talking about rubber pool/beach flip flops... but colored leather sandals.

No beach or pool wear allowed might be a better description.

I wonder if....prior to the Captains Club host asking you to leave there had been a previous conversation with another family...For example, someone else had come in with 'beach flip flops' (and possibly other unsuitable wear) and had reasonably been asked by her to leave. That family then identified you as wearing a 'technical' flip flop leaving the Captains Club host little option other than approaching you....

Captains Club hosts do not tend to be 'jobs worth', I rather think they are looking for a general level of presentation rather than item by item....

What ship was this? Many times I have worn sparkly flip flops to the cocktail hour. On my last cruise we had coupons instead and there was certainly no problem at any other bar.

In my case it was today, on Solstice, Maybe it would be a good idea to put this in the "Today" planner too, or in big letters on the website, for packing advice, or Captain's Club advice. I just didn't think that anyone would ban sandals in a casual bar, except for safely reasons. Seems a bit silly, but it's not my bar. I might have brought different shoes if I'd known. Now I'll just go to a different bar. (FWIW, in the same bar, before and after Captain's Club Cocktail Hour, sandals are fine.)

We have not been to the CC cocktail party in a couple of cruises, but I always wear sandal type shoes every evening of my cruises. I have never been turned away anywhere on the ship. And that includes the few times that we have been invited to dine with the Captain!

I believe you had a picky hostess, perhaps newer to her position. And perhaps in her culture, showing a ladies foot is a no, no.

It's nice to hear that at least one Celebrity employee has enough intestinal fortitude to do their job.

I'll second that! We wouldn't have threads like this if all staff uniformly enforced the rules as written. Consistent inconsistency leads to confusion and problems. If a rule cannot be enforced, it should not be a rule!

I've often seen the Elite Cocktail Hour dress code enforced by a number of different Hosts/Hostess's. I myself was turned away when I showed up where a nice pair of shorts and a polo. Seems shorts of any kind are not allowed.

I'd no issues with that. Ignorance of the dress code (on my part) wasn't an excuse. Quick trip back to the cabin to change and all was good. I've no ill will towards the host/hostess and just wish dress codes everywhere would be enforced.

I understand (or thought I did) the no flip flop rule. But what do they mean by no sandals?

Is this OK?

_13341805.jpg?fit=fill&fm=jpg&dpr=2&h=368&w=240&q=30

How about this?

_100196324.jpg?fit=fill&fm=jpg&dpr=2&h=368&w=240&q=30

Or this?

_9711141.jpg?fit=fill&fm=jpg&dpr=2&h=368&w=240&q=30

All images from the 'net. And all are advertised as sandals...

(Yeah, I picked seriously expensive just for fun.)

I understand no cheapo rubber type flip flops in any venue other than pool and buffet, but I bought two nice pairs of sturdy low-heeled but strappy sandals just for our first cruise on X, specifically for my evening wear. Looks like I better pack a pair of closed toe flats just in case? I know we won't be going to any Elite events, it's our first cruise. Is this sandal rule in place at venues other than the Elite Cocktail Party? Either way, I will not be wearing sneakers with a fancy dress. I don't think that combo is in anyone's dress code :p

Edited by galensgrl
add info

I think the poster who said its general overall attire that gets looked at is right. I also rarely have closed toes shoes on a Caribbean cruise (had a problem once trying to find something to wear for the helipad sail away). I'd be upset if I was turned away for wearing a nice dress and high heeled open toed shoes / sandals!![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a little ridiculous to enforce a rule that people don't know about before they get on the ship because it doesn't say no sandals anywhere on the website that I can find. It does say no flip-flops in the evening for any events/dinner etc., so reasonable to expect that to extend to the elite cocktail hour. But I've definitely worn sparkly flip flops as well as other sandals including those with a thong between the toes to the cocktail hour many times and never been turned away. Yikes!

I'm just glad that I mostly sail on transatlantics now, where we always get coupons instead.

It's a little ridiculous to enforce a rule that people don't know about before they get on the ship because it doesn't say no sandals anywhere on the website that I can find. It does say no flip-flops in the evening for any events/dinner etc., so reasonable to expect that to extend to the elite cocktail hour. But I've definitely worn sparkly flip flops as well as other sandals including those with a thong between the toes to the cocktail hour many times and never been turned away. Yikes!

I'm just glad that I mostly sail on transatlantics now, where we always get coupons instead.

Off subject, but wondering how many coupons you get per person? Is it per day and for use during certain hours? We are looking at a transatlantic where the beverage package perk is not included in the rate. Thank you in advance.

Off subject, but wondering how many coupons you get per person? Is it per day and for use during certain hours? We are looking at a transatlantic where the beverage package perk is not included in the rate. Thank you in advance.

You get 3 per person per day for use between 5 and 7 PM at your choice of most of the bars on the ship. They cover the same items you would get in the elite event normally, and the bars all have the "menu" displayed just like you'd see in the Sky Lounge just in case you forget what your choices are. :)

And yes, they are dated. Though I have read here that people have gotten away with using them on other dates than those printed on the coupon. I've never tried it myself--more than a couple of drinks would be a bad idea for me if I want to do anything the rest of the evening.

You get 3 per person per day for use between 5 and 7 PM at your choice of most of the bars on the ship. They cover the same items you would get in the elite event normally, and the bars all have the "menu" displayed just like you'd see in the Sky Lounge just in case you forget what your choices are. :)

And yes, they are dated. Though I have read here that people have gotten away with using them on other dates than those printed on the coupon. I've never tried it myself--more than a couple of drinks would be a bad idea for me if I want to do anything the rest of the evening.

Is this only for Transatlantics, or for all cruises (like Royal does)?

On my first TA in less than three weeks; looking forward to coupons or whatever. I know we don't get them on the first night, along with others, but time will tell. I have been Elite for a while, so this time I am looking forward to it...

I have always worn my flip flop Brighton sandals; no one has ever said anything to me....

On my first TA in less than three weeks; looking forward to coupons or whatever. I know we don't get them on the first night, along with others, but time will tell. I have been Elite for a while, so this time I am looking forward to it...

I have always worn my flip flop Brighton sandals; no one has ever said anything to me....

Silhouette has been placing perks on Seapass cards and they no longer issue coupons.