What determines an invite to Helipad for sail aways?

Pier290

My husband and I were invited to the helipad on the Silhouette in February. We are Elite and were invited by the Captain's Club hostess. We did not go because my husband was not feeling well. We were in a concierge class cabin.

You are correct! Basically invitations are based on who's doing the inviting. Usually the Captain's Club Host, but often the Michael's Club Concierge. The MCC usually limits invitations to those who are entitled to use Michael's Club. It's the Captain's call whether to allow a helipad sail a way.

We were invited to a sail-in on the Infinity heli pad by Michaels Club concierge. On a 10 day Equinox we had an awesome CC member from our roll call that worked her magic for a bridge tour which happened on our last sea day. The tour was just 10 of us that she asked. Really enjoyed the time spent there and hanging out on the bridge wing with the captain and his officers. What a view. Fun and glad we had the opportunity,

I would say it never hurts to ask, especially if you are in an active CC Roll Call (I have learned so much from fellow CC members :hearteyes:).

We are elite + and have been invited a number of times. The one time we went to the helipad it was so crowded that viewing the departure was almost impossible, unless you were right up front. We pushed our way back through the crowd that was still entering the area and went up to the top decks for the sail-away. We have never bothered with any other helipad departure. Perhaps sometimes the group is smaller so viewing the scenery possible?

We got invited on the Constellation last year, all suite guests did on that sailing. I was in a Sky Suite, not an Elite member at that time.

It was wicked cool. We had it on a sail out of Montenegro, stunning. Champagne, they had the crew there, and our cruise director, along with a photographer. Very fun time.

Hope to get it again someday!

As others have noted, how you get invited - depends.

Pretty much get invited to at least one heli-pad sail away each cruise.

Have never inquired or asked, just maybe just luck of the draw.

We are Elite Plus, although that isn't always the determining factor.

On the Reflection last week, all those staying in a Concierge Class cabin were invited to the Sail away from Jamaica.

Have been in Suites, and that was reason the invite was given sometimes we think.

Another time Aqua, and invited by the Captains Club Host.

Once in Michael's Club Hostess asked if we were interested.

Invitation has always been sent to the cabin.

So it depends.

Like most, it seems to be the luck of the draw. We've been invited once by the CC host on board. There was a fairly small turnout of maybe fifty or so people. I felt sorry for a couple who rolled up on their scooters. There was no way for them to join the group as there were stairs and a narrow passageway to navigate to get out there. Staff politely informed them that they would not be able to join us.

We'd do it again in a heartbeat!

We were invited on the Summit in 2015...it was our 2nd Celebrity cruise but we only had a balcony cabin ..however, we were doing a B2B...found out the other 100 or so people there were also on a B2B...the port was Domenica and it was awesome!

Hoping to get that honor when we do the TA in less than 2 weeks! (one can always hope!)

Marsha

So my guess would be that they invite the people they see as the best investment opportunities. This could be Captains Club level, cabin category or groups of TA's that frequently cruise with Celebrity.

This is also how I would do it myself...

This is my 'theory' too. I think it is a small treat offered to those viewed as Celebrity 'Ambassadors' or advocates.

We have been invited to the helipad sailaway once. Our last Celebrity cruise (3rd) - just level 1! In a Concierge cabin, but with a large group all in Concierge and we were the only ones invited.

My theory comes from the fact that DH became best buddies with the bartenders at the Sunset Bar. They quickly talked him into upgrading at the sailaway to the Premium drink package. And they pampered him with great selections that he hadn't tried before.

So every time one of the guys from our group came over to the bar, my husband championed the premium package. He 'sold' at least three packages! The bartender asked him if he was in sales, which he isn't-told him that he should be!

Maybe, on occasion, the 'system' is letting the staff make a recommendation based on being a friendly, positive, outgoing person that represents what Celebrity wants to reward in their cruisers.

If it were dependent on me to garner favor, we will never get any rewards! I like to people watch and chill when I cruise. DH is the wanderer and the talker who never met a stranger! God bless him!

If anyone has any secrets to a bridge tour invitation, please share! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Surprised that nobody has mentioned cruise locations where the helipad is routinely opened for anyone who wishes to go out there (weather permitting), no invitation needed.

For example, Hubbard Glacier or the Panama Canal.

For leaving ports, our personal preference is to be at the back of the ship or on our balcony instead.

For the Panama Canal, the helipad gets hot and muggy, so when we want to be up at the front of the ship, we prefer a comfortable seat up in the air conditioned sky lounge.

You need to get up there very early to get a good seat on the morning when the ship enters the canal because most other passengers have the same idea. :D

But I think everyone should try the helipad at least once.

When it is open to everyone, if you want to avoid the crowds just turn the TV in your cabin to the channel that has the bow cam and you can see whether or not it is crowded before you head out there.

The bridge tour is now a chargeable event Approx $US105 per person and includes lunch

They still offer the free bridge tours without the lunch as well.

On our last cruise 3rd cruise with Celebrity, Balcony cabin) we had a message early on in the cruise from the Captain's Host asking if there was anything she could organise to help make our cruise more special. That evening as I was passing I stopped by and mentioned the message left for us and asked whether it was possible for my wife and I to go onto the helipad during an arrival or departure sometime during the cruise. She said that was not possible as it was too popular. I then asked if she knew of the location of the cable car station in Madeira, our next stop. She told us I would have to speak to the regular concierge ( sat 10 feet away) . I Was then asked if there was anything else she could help with ......I walked away non plused as to what the Captain's Club Host will do or try to do.

Imagine my surprise, a couple of days later, when one of the couples on our table on their second cruise (OV cabin) said they'd had the same message earlier that day from the CC Host , they'd gone and asked about the helipad and were told " yes, no problem"

Would be nice if they were a bit more transparent about the process. I don't mind being refused a particular benefit or treat but then to learn that later others do qualify for no rational reason is a bit frustrating. Would have been fairer perhaps to have added us to a waiting list.

Edited by DYKWIA

All of the above - politely asked Captains Club and Concierge for Milford Sound in NZ (Select level), been invited as sky suite perk in Puerto Rico (Select), and opened to everyone for Panama Canal transit.

Yes, I politely asked to be invited for Milford, Doubtful, and Dusky Sounds if there was space for three, at their discretion. I believe I also checked back once or twice to show my interest and excitement. It was a really wonderful experience.

We were invited once in 2015 but we were part of a large group sailing out of New Jersey. Capt. Kate had just taken command and although we didn't sail around the Statue Of Liberty, there was alot of horn blowing and free champagne!

We have now enjoyed approx 30 cruises.

Two weeks ago, aboard P&O Britannia my wife and I were chatting and the subject of guest entertainers came up.

She honestly thought that the helipad was used to fly the guest entertainers onto and off of the ship !!! :D:D:D

30 cruises and she had believed that all along.

For now, Im not letting her forget that one lol

That's funny! Apparently another gentleman thought the same. See my story!

Our ship was stalled at sea, just off the coast of Florida, during hurricane Wilma. We were to be out there for 2 extra days because both the POM and Port Everglades were damaged during the storm. Passengers were either understanding or in an uproar about the extended cruise. A gentleman at Guest Relations said he had to get off the ship and get home to work. He demanded that the ship take him in close enough to port so that a boat could come out and get him into shore. When that was met with a "no", he said that he was going to hire a helicopter to come out and pick him up and would charge the bill to the cruiseline. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I received an invite to the helipad on my cruise 3 weeks ago. I think it was because I had visited the future cruises booking agent and checked in and was deciding if I would book a future cruise on the Edge. I did.

On our 2nd cruise we were invited to a helipad sail away out of Valletta by the Micheal's Club Concierge.

On our next cruise (3rd) on Connie and we were invited to 3 sail away's :D in Venice, Kotor and Valletta. The Venice sail away seemed to have half the ship on the helipad and to be honest was a bit too crowded.Out of Kotor the invite came twice once from the CC host (because of CC roll call I think), and once for MCC ( due to suite) there was also a contingent from a Pied Piper group on board. The sail out of Valletta seemed to be a very small group and the invite came again for the MCC.

Heck..I'm just going to ask our Concierge Concierge! Lol!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Just an FYI, there is not a separate concierge for concierge class cabins. There is a concierge that's available for all of the passengers on the ship.

Suite guests are the only ones who have their own concierge who's "office" is in Michaels club.

Just an FYI, there is not a separate concierge for concierge class cabins. There is a concierge that's available for all of the passengers on the ship.

Suite guests are the only ones who have their own concierge who's "office" is in Michaels club.

Actually we do have a separate concierge desk that deals with just concierge cabins. But thx!

Actually we do have a separate concierge desk that deals with just concierge cabins. But thx!

There is a concierge desk available, but its for all passengers to use, not just concierge class cabins.

You can look in this thread where what I posted is also stated.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2481297