Our First "Muse-ings" from Monte Carlo Roundtrip

Master Echo

I have read this thread properly and I understand English perfectly well. My point however still stands. The dress code, set by the cruise line, for Atlantide is formal. Some passengers adhere to this and, as you stated, some wear a jacket and tie. The latter, hopefully you will agree, are informally dressed. SS is choosing to accept this and perhaps should either enforce the formal code or downgrade the code to informal.

Hope this helps

http://www.silversea.com/general-information/

Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

In response to the post that says dress code is not set by passengers - you clearly have nor read this thread properly. I thought I was writing in English - clearly not for some of you.

Whilst I might be just a passenger - I am currently on the. Muse, , have eaten in Atlantide and have seen that whilst some male diners there are dressed in Tuxedos, others are wearing ordinary jackets with ties which is PERFECTLY acceptable. If there are any of you who have sailed with SS before, you will know that provided you have a jacket and tie, although they will lend you both if you have neither, you are not barred from the MDR on On a formal night

You talked about jackets with ties above. This does not read the same as a dark suit. So are passengers in informal attire or dark suits?

You talked about jackets with ties above. This does not read the same as a dark suit. So are passengers in informal attire or dark suits?

I think you read my earlier reply. I'm not speaking for ME, but simply pointing out a new challenge for the staff to try and reconcile on Muse.

With the new dining arrangements on Muse there will be - and to my knowledge already has been - passengers who get dressed up in the evening looking forward to a ritzy formal meal without knowing exactly where they were going to eat. In other ships it would have been the MDR . In the case that I know about my friend has got dressed up formally only to be told that there are no places where she could eat formally that night and was told she had to eat in Spaccanapoli restaruant and had a dissapointing pizza. She was dissapointed. She got dressed for one experience and was offered another. Presumably there might also therefore be people that have dressed informally that have not been able to get a table in an informal restaurant. The MD's then need to decide how tough they are going to impose the code and insist that people return to their suites and change their dress, presuming that is that they have packed suitable formal attire. Many people will be choosing Muse in order that they need not wear and therefore pack formal attire.

It seems to me that one of the many consequences for the new Muse arrangements is the need to resolve these new scenarios pragmatically and sensibly.

I think you read my earlier reply. I'm not speaking for ME, but simply pointing out a new challenge for the staff to try and reconcile on Muse.

With the new dining arrangements on Muse there will be - and to my knowledge already has been - passengers who get dressed up in the evening looking forward to a ritzy formal meal without knowing exactly where they were going to eat. In other ships it would have been the MDR . In the case that I know about my friend has got dressed up formally only to be told that there are no places where she could eat formally that night and was told she had to eat in Spaccanapoli restaruant and had a dissapointing pizza. She was dissapointed. She got dressed for one experience and was offered another. Presumably there might also therefore be people that have dressed informally that have not been able to get a table in an informal restaurant. The MD's then need to decide how tough they are going to impose the code and insist that people return to their suites and change their dress, presuming that is that they have packed suitable formal attire. Many people will be choosing Muse in order that they need not wear and therefore pack formal attire.

It seems to me that one of the many consequences for the new Muse arrangements is the need to resolve these new scenarios pragmatically and sensibly.

Indeed, several things that need addressing.

They're never going to turn people away from dining in informal wear on formal nights, so I think that answers the first point and Master Echo has confirmed is happening in Atlantide (and suspect it will apply in La Dame too.)

Generally, you will know where you are going to eat as a booking made (even if done on the day) so there shouldn't be a confusion on what to wear on that front.

Where it does become more of a problem is people deciding late where to eat after meeting people they wish to dine with. (maybe couples or singles pre booked in different places) and not having a definitive restaurant and dress code until advised.)

Which ever approach it will always fall short. Personally I think the better approach is what's happening on the other ships with set formal / informal and casual, though some don't like because they don't want to be told at any time what to wear.

I am quite at ease with whatever the code or method to decide is, I'm not seeing it as a problem and neither is booking in advance. In the same way many like to dress up and see everyone do the same on formal nights (me included) I'm not going to lose any sleep if someone turns up in casual on formal night, though I might smile if SS remind the guess on expectations and tell them not tonight. What I have observed, is SS offering suitable clothes to the guest at point of entry which they are at liberty to except or chose somewhere else.

There are probably a whole bunch of things that are positives and negatives. The main one I can think of; Atlantide is formal. I might choose to eat there 4 nights (like you might for la terrazza or the MDR) ... and whilst it's clear you don't need to be formal, it will dilute the experience. Does it matter in the bigger picture? Not really. One only big "concern" was those not wanting to wear formal on any night could be excluded. We now know that's not the case as first and last will be casual in all restaurants.

I'm fairly confident none of the dress code concerns is actually going to impact me and happy to go with the flow.

As I've said earlier. It is impossible to please everyone and even if on paper SS has got this all wrong, until I see it first hand and be disappointed, currently I'm not overly concerned but am watching and listening to reviews to see how it's all going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I have said and will repeat.

There will be some people that have no reservations confirmed when they dress for the evening. But the whole idea and rationale of the Muse concept presumably was that people could decide where the wanted to eat more spontaneously and decide at the last moment and not have their cusine imposed on them. That concept only works where the capacity is genuinely great enough such that it will generally work. They will as some have already experienced have where they eat imposed on them and they will be dissapointed. To dress formally and to eat pizza at a table without as table cloth is going to be an issue for some. Conversely dressing smartly but informally and being seated in a restaurant where others might create an "atmosphere" of disaproval will upset potentially even more.

Whatever you think will happen in the future to smooth the issues, the restaurants will always be effectively capacity controlled. You cannot build extensions. In fact, the most likely scenario when cost-cutting replaces the current honeymoon period is that the problem is better today than it might be in the future. It seems to me that this approach was great on paper and would work on much larger ships where the passengers and therefore venues greater but might not work as planned with smaller numbers. Advanced booking also compromises flexibility.

If this is intended to improve customer satisfaction it will probably have the reverse effect. Human nature being what it is, if a passenger takes a ten night cruise and on nine nights they eat where they choose then their reasonable expectations have simply been met. People expect to choose what they eat and where they eat and what they wear. They do not want to be told and do not want to be dissapointed however reasonable it might seem. But if on one night they end up dressing formally and being compelled to eat pizza in a cafe atmosphere or dress casually but be told to "go and get dressed" because you are eating where we say, it will be that experience that will dissapoint and anger them and might make them feel like the illusion of choice is not as good as the greater certainty but more limited choice of the old arrangement.

For the sake of clarity and to state the bleedin' obvious, it may not happen often and many people will find the new arrangements great and will have no problems. Others will not. C'est la vie.

Cabin layout

The general layout follows that of the other classic ships, except that the dressing table has moved to a combined unit incorporating the writing desk.

On the other classic ships one has to tour the cabin in search of switches for the various lighting options. Hurrah!! The lights for each half of the cabin, can be controlled from the entrance and/or either side of the beds.

One of the major changes has been to the provision of electrical connectivity. From the door end, from left to right, there are two 110 volts US two pin, one 220 volts continental two pin, one multi-pin, continental plus U.K. 220 volts, two USB sockets, one 220 volts continental two pin and one multi-pin 220 volts, continental plus U.K.

In the corner next to the three seater settee, is a further multi-pin 220 volts continental plus U.K. Thus for the first time on a SS classic ship, there is connectivity for the standard U.K. three pin plug.

Inset into the wall are TV screens, one facing the bed, one facing the settee, slightly larger than those on the Spirit. When not in use they are mirrors.

All drawers and doors ( the door enclosing the safe) throughout the cabin are self closing and the toilet seat is a soft close.

One omission was the small shelf in the hall, so useful for depositing cruise cards et al.

Another nice touch is a small indent at the bottom of the mirror frame over the dressing table/writing desk, for all those invitation cards one receives, which heretofore kept falling out when trying to wedge them into the sides of the mirror!! Not necessary though I suppose, for all of you who bring blue tack or magnets!!

The air conditioning is completely silent. The hairdryer complete with diffuser has an extremely heavy lead and is a bit unwieldy to use, more like a professional's. Both the hairdryer and the alarm clock are 220 volts, continental two pin.

The shower cubicle has its controls mounted next to the door, so these can be operated and the water warmed up before entering the cubicle, so no unavoidable cold shower! However one has to be quick, not to get dripped on from the rain shower, should the knob for the hand held shower not be fully extended!!

It is a pleasure to open the shower cubicle door and not to be greeted by the smell of drains and also to have a free flowing outlet from the single sink. The latter was a slight disappointment, as Sir and Madame had hoped there would be twin sinks, as there is definitely enough room. There are three glass shelves on either side in the bathroom, and the lighting both in here and also in the cabin is extremely good and a definite improvement from some of the dingy lighting on the other classic ships.

Whilst there are no binoculars, the key ring light and the glasses cleaning cloth have made a welcome return. Our orchid had two stems with beautiful flowers. There is also a large umbrella in the dressing area.

Other cabin details can be found on the SS website.

Unfortunately the electric sockets in our cabin were not working on arrival. An electrician was summoned who suggested that it was Madame's appliance that was faulty, proving to him that this was not true, Sir and Madame left him to it and went to dinner. Initially the lighting controls were also not functioning properly and the electrician made a further visit to deal with the matter.

There were three minor leaks on the bathroom floor during the eight days, and like all intermittent faults, proved difficult to resolve. However after the plumber returned and siliconed round the shower cubicle, two days ago, one hopes that the next occupant will not receive an unintentional foot spa.

Owner's Suite 944

This cabin has been furnished with personal effects provided by Manfredi himself. The corresponding cabin 945 is not so furnished. This arrangement was only completed two days prior to our cruise, and therefore does not feature in any Marketing photographs.

However before disembarking we were given permission to photograph this Suite. Manfredi's furnishings include a beautiful oil painting of Manfredi himself with Silver Cloud in the background, which greets you as you walk in. There also photos of the family on one wall, and various personal objects and ornaments which grace the cabin.

Food food, glorious food!

Kaiseki has a central cooking area like Seishin on the Spirit. Where it does differ is that it has no fryer for tempura dishes.

Set around this is a counter with high stools so that diners can watch the cooking. As an alternative, diners can sit at tables around the perimeter. One of the chefs has considerable experience of preparing Japanese food, both in Japan and elsewhere. Sir and Madame really enjoyed their dinner here and it is definitely worth $60. For example the set main course included as much lobster as would be served in an MDR, for a Captain's welcome dinner. In addition with this course, there is highly expensive wagyu beef, and tuna.

La Dame - this is the other paid-for restaurant with a Relais et Chateaux menu. Sir and Madame were far from alone in having a disappointing experience and one couple had such a bad meal that they were given a full refund. There are clearly training issues for both the wait staff and the galley. The restaurant did however appear to be fully booked every night, and for those who are concerned about their non-existent tuxedos, only Sir and Madame were in evening dress, all other men had dark jackets and ties!!

The restaurant Sir and Madame were looking forward to the most was Indochine as they have a love of eastern food. Two visits were made, one a miss, and the other a big hit. The menus have largely been constructed for passengers with a fairly bland palette, and the wait staff need further training to guide passengers on the spiciness of each dish. The idea of including chilli symbols on the menu to denote how spicy each dish is, was rejected by Manfredi as not in keeping with the standard of the ship.

It is surprising that this is the largest of the three main dining venues, at 180 covers, Atlantide and La Terrazza only 140 each for dinner service. Sir and Madame consider it would be better if the current venues for Indochine and Atlantide were exchanged, because the latter appeared to be far more popular, having a "surf and turf" menu.

Spaccanapoli the pizzas in this venue are far superior to those Sir and Madame have recently had on the Spirit. Each pizza would feed the five thousand, but it is possible to ask for a smaller portion. The only slight downside is that they appear to be a bit mean with some of the toppings!

There were several departmental heads from HQ who were present with us on the cruise and one of them was the Director of Culinary Development. Sir and Madame were fortunate to have a private meeting with him to provide passenger feedback. He told us that the database of meals ordered since introduction of the I-pad system, had guided the menus for the Muse, because he was able to see the most and least popular dishes. He had given Manfredi a list of 300 pasta dishes to choose from for La Terrazza- (what a task!). He volunteered that the menu choices in Silver Note reflected typical cuisine that he would prepare at home. As a general point the debut of the Muse had gone better than the four other SS launches in which he has been closely involved.

There were several departmental heads from HQ who were present with us on the cruise and one of them was the Director of Culinary Development. Sir and Madame were fortunate to have a private meeting with him to provide passenger feedback. He told us that the database of meals ordered since introduction of the I-pad system, had guided the menus for the Muse, because he was able to see the most and least popular dishes. He had given Manfredi a list of 300 pasta dishes to choose from for La Terrazza- (what a task!). He volunteered that the menu choices in Silver Note reflected typical cuisine that he would prepare at home. As a general point the debut of the Muse had gone better than the four other SS launches in which he has been closely involved.

Appreciate these very interesting and highly insightful details as to how the top management at Silversea approaches these menu choices and options. Yes, more data from the iPad system can help management to better adjust for what customers like, want and desire. This background reflects that the owner is very involved and concerned on the dining quality and options. While I have never met Manfredi, it is clear from some pictures of him that he is a man who enjoying dining. Right?

Keep it coming with ALL of these Silversea aspects for their approaches and technique to satisfy customer interests.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,251 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Terry,

Manfredi seems to have lost some weight.

With respect to menu planning. The idea that there were 300 pasta dishes offered and listed seems somewhat suspicious to cynical old moi, but anyway .... giving the decision to Manfredi to decide doesn't strike me as having any particularly scientific basis. You could possibly list 300 dishes by simply providing three alternate sauces and a hundred different pasta shapes .....:)

You may as well not given him any list if there were 300 on it .... and simply told him to decide what people should choose from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Summary and Conclusions

Overall Silver Muse is a beautiful ship with very tasteful decor and no obvious signs of cost-cutting in its design and fitment. Those involved with its design and construction have done an extremely good job. One nice touch is the self closing drawers in all the cabins and the soft close toilet seats.

Roughly half the food and beverage staff are SS first timers. Obviously they could not denude the other classic ships of their experienced staff, as one can imagine the hue and cry! Sensibly the staff in each dining venue do not rotate and this will help build experience of each venue's menus, which are quite extensive.

Clearly a serious effort has been put into training non Venetian staff into SS service standards.

Obviously the big issue is the capacity for dinner. On the first night one couple wandered round the various dining venues begging for food like Oliver Twist, because everywhere had been pre- booked either online in advance of embarkation, or on embarkation day. A single lady ended up shivering in Hot Rocks!

The three main restaurants have a capacity of 460 which is restricted by what each galley can cope with. The outdoor dining venues are not suited to inclement weather, and passengers can not be forced into the two paid-for restaurants, should these be the only ones available. SS is aware of this aspect, now that they have experience from a "live" cruise, and Sir and Madame feel confident it will be addressed, but not by reversion to an MDR.

Overall food quality was at least as good as Sir and Madame have had on any SS ship, and things can only improve as the staff gain more experience. Chefs preparing dishes from sixteen or more menus that rotate daily in a traditional MDR, do not gain the same level of expertise as they will in each of the galleys on the Muse. Many dishes eaten were superior to those on our last cruise on the Spirit three weeks ago.

The Voices of Silversea have clearly worked extremely hard in a very short time to perfect their performances and there is close harmony amongst all six. Mark and Michele are clearly to be congratulated in producing the varied numbers of shows with the new cast who had to learn everything from scratch.

In conclusion Sir and Madame look forward to sailing on the Muse from Montreal to FLL on September 28th, where it appears a number of those who regularly tread the SS boards will be present.

Before disembarking this morning Sir and Madame were introduced to Manfredi and congratulated him on the latest edition to his fleet.

Finally Sir and Madame were delighted to receive an invitation to the Christening event tomorrow, at which we understand that Duct Tape will also be attending. There will be a quayside ceremony, a cocktail reception on the Muse, followed by a formal dinner onboard, at which the Prince of Monaco will be the guest of honour.

Just a quickie. From a straw poll taken before disembarking eveyiene we spoke to said they had had a very enjoyable cruise and there was no expression that they had missed an MDR

Over and out!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Thanks for all the wonderful updates Master Echo.

Enjoy the christening and say hello to the Price for me :-)

I look forward to meeting up with you in 5 weeks time where we can disucss everything in even better detail!

Have a safe trip home...

Obviously the big issue is the capacity for dinner. On the first night one couple wandered round the various dining venues begging for food like Oliver Twist, because everywhere had been pre- booked either online in advance of embarkation, or on embarkation day. A single lady ended up shivering in Hot Rocks.

That is truly awful and probably my biggest concern with the Muse. I really hope this issue is resolved before we join you in Montreal.

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reporting on your voyage and the ship itself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Master Echo, strongly echo mainsd, TLCOhio, UKcruiseJeff, and Silver Spectre--you Sir and Madame (in support) have done a marvelously outstanding job keeping Muse Silversea cruise critics to-be informed (and possibly excited) about sailing on the Muse. Thanks tons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously the big issue is the capacity for dinner. On the first night one couple wandered round the various dining venues begging for food like Oliver Twist, because everywhere had been pre- booked either online in advance of embarkation, or on embarkation day. A single lady ended up shivering in Hot Rocks!

The three main restaurants have a capacity of 460 which is restricted by what each galley can cope with. The outdoor dining venues are not suited to inclement weather, and passengers can not be forced into the two paid-for restaurants, should these be the only ones available. SS is aware of this aspect, now that they have experience from a "live" cruise, and Sir and Madame feel confident it will be addressed, but not by reversion to an MDR.

Obviously when you have 8 restaurants and limited capacities, there will always be limitations and why bookings are needed. Whilst they have allowed advance bookings to be made, theyve wisely held back a large percentage for those who've not pre-booked. Given this is a first outing and much of this info was very much lacking when bookings were placed, so hopefully lessons are being learned and guests will actually be informed way in advanced from now so everyone can understand how best to maximise their enjoyment.

I know I mentioned previously that Atlantide and La Terrazza have both been booked out en block on the 16th June in Monaco. Last Year, La Champagne was unavailable for booking because Manfredi held dinner for Prince Albert and guests. I'm assuming the same is happening here.

Which begs the question..... If 2 people were unfed and all restaurants available - how will they cope with 320 places removed from being bookable?

Hopefully I can upload a screenshot - but no restaurants (apart from the small capacity La Dame is full) - so people cant be pre-booking I suspect?

OK - apologies for the small size - but hopefully you can make out its La Terrazza and Atlantide saying "

Not available"

ab8e1873a2d9ba602d28a5fbe4fa2950.jpg

Thank you Master Echo for the much valued info. We board first week of May, and will be sending one piece of (cruise type) luggage ahead as we'll be bouncing around Europe for a week before our Muse adventure. Thanks to your observations, this will be my first in fifteen sailings (fifth with Silversea) where I won't be packing a Tux, but will throw in an additional electrical pin converter to take advantage of all the continental and UK outlets. :-)

Have a safe trip home!

MainsD has very kindly uploaded Madame’s photos and the link below will take you to these.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0I5Uzl7Vbrd7t

The photos depict:

Prince of Monaco and Manfredi at private party during Christening, with Sir just out of shot onright.

Deck 9 corridor showing carpet motif.

Dolce Vita

Swimming pool

Kaiseki dining

View of Atlantide Restaurant.

Bathroom of Suite 929

Interior of Suite 929

Captain Alessandro speaking at the Christening service.

Manfredi Lefebvre D’Ovido as above.

View of champagne bottle, prior to being smashed over the bow. (Note the grey skies).

HSH Prince Albert of Monaco, Manfredi Lefebvre D’Ovido and Roberto Martinoli at private cocktail party.

HSH Prince Albert of Monaco speaking at the Christening in the Venetian Lounge with Manfredi Lefebvre D’Ovido.

Archbishop of Monaco giving his blessing speech in the Venetian Lounge.

Suite 944, Owner’s suite with Manfredi’s personal effects.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

MainsD has very kindly uploaded Madame’s photos and the link below will take you to these.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0I5Uzl7Vbrd7t

The photos depict: Prince of Monaco and Manfredi at private party during Christening, with Sir just out of shot onright.

HSH Prince Albert of Monaco, Manfredi Lefebvre D’Ovido and Roberto Martinoli at private cocktail party.

Archbishop of Monaco giving his blessing speech in the Venetian Lounge.

Suite 944, Owner’s suite with Manfredi’s personal effects.

Master Echo

Appreciate this great and very interesting series of pictures. It's like we are really there . . . without paying the "price of admission". Wonderful sharing!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,368 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Thank you for sharing your photo album! The Owner's Suite looks amazing and a place I can only dream of sailing in someday. That's what makes dreams great... something out of reach today that you can't ever imagine coming true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk